Facing expulsion over gun protest, Tennessee Democrats accuse GOP of 'scare' tactics

aubiefifty

You can apparently get away with a lot of things in the TN Statehouse...as long as you're the right 'type' of person. 

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2023/04/08/tennessee-descent-statehouse-mag-00091090

"The protest and subsequent expulsion over decorum rules took place in a chamber where a GOP member, for years, rang a cowbell every day of session as a raucous, attention-grabbing substitute for applause."

"When I covered the Tennessee Capitol from 2018 to 2021, the family-values espousing Republican House speaker had to explain why his text message trail included discussions of pole-dancing women and his chief of staff’s sexual encounters in the bathroom of a hot chicken restaurant."

"After a Republican lawmaker was accused of sexually assaulting 15- and 16-year-old girls he had taught and coached, he was made chairman of the House education committee."

"Protesters filled the halls week after week, year after year, calling for the removal of the bust of the Ku Klux Klan’s first Grand Wizard, a piece of art featured prominently between the House and Senate chambers. Democrats pushed for its removal, while Republicans resisted."

"A Democrat who declined to support the current speaker’s reelection had her office moved into a small, windowless room. In a twist of fate, that same Democrat, Rep. Gloria Johnson, a white woman, narrowly escaped expulsion on Thursday. "

"And then, of course, there was the famous peeing incident, where a legislator’s office chair was urinated on in an act of intraparty retribution over shitposting. The actual identity of the Republican urinator is a closely-held secret among a small group of operatives who have bragged about witnessing it. But it’s generally accepted that former state Rep. Rick Tillis, a Republican and the brother of U.S. Sen. Thom Tillis, did indeed have his chair peed on in the Cordell Hull legislative office building."

This is one the reinstated representatives in Tennessee that Democrats will defend and support regardless of the fact that he committed a crime on camera less than 3 years before he was elected to the state legislature. But then they'll turn around and tell Republicans that they're trash if they vote or support Trump.

A video shows reinstated Tennessee state Rep. Justin Jones throwing a traffic cone at a driver during a 2020 Black Lives Matter Protest.

https://nypost.com/2023/04/13/tennessees-justin-jones-tossed-cone-at-driver-at-blm-protest/

The charges for reckless endangerment ended up being dropped, of course!

But wait..... There's more.....

He was also banned from the state capitol and a legislative building previously in 2019 for another incident until he agreed to a resolution to lift the ban on entering the capitol as part of his bond conditions:

In another high-profile incident, Jones and another protester were arrested in February 2019 upon being accused of throwing a cup of liquid at ex-House Speaker Glen Casada and other lawmakers while protesting the bust of Confederate Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest, one of the Ku Klux Klan’s early leaders, inside the Capitol.

The case was resolved under an agreement barring Jones from contacting those lawmakers and visiting the legislative building until April 22, 2020. A ban on entering the state Capitol that was also in his bond conditions was lifted under the resolution.

https://apnews.com/article/tn-state-wire-nashville-fc0256caecfe368e1db5dc0d8f809c08

Jones was also one of only four state representatives in the Tennessee House, along with the other two Democrats that faced expulsion, who voted against a bipartisan bill to add more security for both public and private schools in TN on the same day he was expelled on April 6:

The Tennessee House on Thursday approved new measures aimed at heightening school safety at both public and private schools, but without the support of the three Democrats facing expulsion for leading a gun control protest last week.

House Bill 322 passed the House with bipartisan support in a vote of 95 to 4 after a lengthy debate on Thursday morning. Reps. Justin Jones, D-Nashville, Gloria Johnson, D-Knoxville, and Justin Pearson, D-Memphis, all voted against the bill, as did Rep. Torrey Harris, D-Memphis. They said the bill doesn't the root causes of school shootings

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/politics/2023/04/06/tennessee-house-passes-bill-to-offer-new-school-safety-measures/70089025007/

• Dislike 1

44 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

This is one the reinstated representatives in Tennessee that Democrats will defend and support regardless of the fact that he committed a crime on camera less than 3 years before he was elected to the state legislature. But then they'll turn around and tell Republicans that they're trash if they vote or support Trump.

A video shows reinstated Tennessee state Rep. Justin Jones throwing a traffic cone at a driver during a 2020 Black Lives Matter Protest.

https://nypost.com/2023/04/13/tennessees-justin-jones-tossed-cone-at-driver-at-blm-protest/

The charges for reckless endangerment ended up being dropped, of course!

But wait..... There's more.....

lol......did you watch the video?

You know you're struggling with the 'Black man Bad' narrative when the worst thing you can come up with is "one time he poked at a guys arm with a plastic traffic cone" 

Edited by CoffeeTiger
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

lol......did you watch the video?

You know you're struggling with the 'Black man Bad' narrative when the worst thing you can come up with is "one time he poked at a guys arm with a plastic traffic cone" 

Thanks for proving my point. 'He was just poking him with a traffic cone'.

Jones literally throws the traffic cone into the truck at the driver at the 0:20 mark of this video, it wasn't just poking. Forget the fact that he could have caused an accident by causing the driver to swerve and hit something or somebody.

Edited by Auburnfan91

5 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

Thanks for proving my point. 'He was just poking him with a traffic cone'.

Jones literally throws the traffic cone into the truck at the driver at the 0:20 mark of this video, it wasn't just poking. Forget the fact that he could have caused an accident by causing the driver to swerve and hit something or somebody.

I’ll pray for that truck driver and his family. I can’t imagine the physical pain emotional torment he’s suffered from having a traffic cone thrown into his lap while he was jawing with protestors through his open truck window. 

20 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

I’ll pray for that truck driver and his family. I can’t imagine the physical pain emotional torment he’s suffered from having a traffic cone thrown into his lap while he was jawing with protestors through his open truck window. 

First you act like I didn't watch the video and claim Jones only poked the driver with a traffic cone. Then when you're proven wrong about that then you pivot and double down with "I'll pray for the truck driver and his family".

If you want to excuse Jones's behavior you're entitled to do that but don't act like I didn't watch the video and say something provably false about the situation.

• Dislike 1