This should concern you regardless of party

TexasTiger

31 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

There should be a bipartisan effort to end ALL paid lobbying, of any kind, in any branch of government.

Agreed. While we are at it, remove any financial conflicts of interest as well.

• Like 2

On 5/5/2023 at 2:01 PM, SaltyTiger said:

Clarence Thomas did not receive tuition. It was his distant nephew.

This is BS Salty.

The nephew was not "distant".  His tuition was paid as a direct favor to Thomas - who otherwise would have paid it. 

If you had read the article you would know that.

Edited by homersapien
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Elevator pitch for your book? 😉

I grew up in the sixties.  Even then, I could recognize that progressive ideas were good but, the progressive implementation often disrupted society.  I favored the conservative approach to implementation.  I grew up in Tennessee.  At the time, it was nothing like Alabama.  Tennessee "conservatives" often promoted progressive ideas with conservative implementation.  The state was fairly progressive for the south.  The old Tennessee Republicans shaped my views on what "conservative" means.

Now, conservatism has reverted to the ideological nonsense of Barry Goldwater.  It is radical, unwilling to compromise, a detriment to democracy and society.  Worse, it has no regard for humanity.  I cannot support that philosophy.  The inhumanity is simply disgraceful.  The utter stupidity defies all logic.  It was/is a corrupt belief system that has ultimate regard for the haves and, no regard for those less fortunate.  It blames those in poverty.  It demonizes those in poverty.  It has no heart.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

I grew up in the sixties.  Even then, I could recognize that progressive ideas were good but, the progressive implementation often disrupted society.  I favored the conservative approach to implementation.  I grew up in Tennessee.  At the time, it was nothing like Alabama.  Tennessee "conservatives" often promoted progressive ideas with conservative implementation.  The state was fairly progressive for the south.  The old Tennessee Republicans shaped my views on what "conservative" means.

Now, conservatism has reverted to the ideological nonsense of Barry Goldwater.  It is radical, unwilling to compromise, a detriment to democracy and society.  Worse, it has no regard for humanity.  I cannot support that philosophy.  The inhumanity is simply disgraceful.  The utter stupidity defies all logic.  It was/is a corrupt belief system that has ultimate regard for the haves and, no regard for those less fortunate.  It blames those in poverty.  It demonizes those in poverty.  It has no heart.

Thanks. So when you say life-long, when did that identification stop? Triggering incident?

6 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

Hell, they are a minority party trending toward fascism and are unabashed about it.

Edited by homersapien

10 minutes ago, homersapien said:

This is BS Salty.

His nephew's tuition was paid as a direct favor to Thomas - who otherwise would have paid it. 

I think he perfectly understands how disingenuous he is being.  He just doesn't care.  He is loyal to an ideology,,, no principles, no ethical standards, no justice, not truth.

Loyalty in itself is not a virtue.  It greatly depends upon to what and, to whom you are loyal.  That is what Salty will likely never understand.

1 minute ago, icanthearyou said:

I think he perfectly understands how disingenuous he is being.  He just doesn't care.  He is loyal to an ideology,,, no principles, no ethical standards, no justice, not truth.

Loyalty in itself is not a virtue.  It greatly depends upon to what and, to whom you are loyal.  That is what Salty will likely never understand.

Maybe he was trying to be funny?

Just now, TexasTiger said:

Thanks. So when you say life-long, when did that identification stop? Triggering incident?

I'm still a registered Republican.  But, to answer your question, I stopped being partisan when the intolerable rhetoric became the mainstream rather than the fringe, when the ideology became more important than any principles, when the party demanded conformity and absolute loyalty, when politics became more important than effective governing.

6 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Hell, they are a minority party trending toward fascism and are unabashed about it.

And when society is broken and, the government debt can no longer be financed,,, they will have succeeded.  Twentieth century history tells us all we need to know but,,, we are largely ignorant of the meaning of events.

4 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

WE have to get money out of politics and government.  OUR government is for sale.

ABSOLUTE TRUTH.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, homersapien said:

This is BS Salty.

The nephew was not "distant".  His tuition was paid as a direct favor to Thomas - who otherwise would have paid it. 

I read several articles on it. His tuition was paid by a man that is close friends with Thomases and has been for years. The man also has history of helping students by paying tuition directly to the school they are attending.

• Facepalm 1

4 hours ago, homersapien said:

MAGA Republicans

Your “go to” when anyone does not agree with you. Parallel with ICHY’s “sorry to offend”. 

Edited by SaltyTiger

1 hour ago, SaltyTiger said:

I read several articles on it. His tuition was paid by a man that is close friends with Thomases and has been for years. The man also has history of helping students by paying tuition directly to the school they are attending.

The *nephew* is a grand nephew which makes him a distant relative.  The is a generation between Thomas and this nephew.

3 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

The *nephew* is a grand nephew which makes him a distant relative.  The is a generation between Thomas and this nephew.

Is he so distant that the relationship had no bearing on Crowe paying his tuition?

1 minute ago, TexasTiger said:

Is he so distant that the relationship had no bearing on Crowe paying his tuition?

If Crow does philanthropic donations for the underprivileged the further from Thomas he is the better it looks for Thomas.  Crow did pay the institution directly so it would seem he was giving to the nephew.

I was helping Salty out with a poster that said the nephew was not distant.

• Facepalm 1

14 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

If Crow does philanthropic donations for the underprivileged the further from Thomas he is the better it looks for Thomas.  Crow did pay the institution directly so it would seem he was giving to the nephew.

I was helping Salty out with a poster that said the nephew was not distant.

Y’all are going thru interesting contortions to claim he’s not giving personal favors. Is Thomas’ mom distant, too?

I cannot understand why some of you will feign total ignorance.  You know what is going on here.  It isn't just about the nephew Thomas is raising as his own son.

You can only pretend to be that stupid.  No one is actually that stupid.

• Facepalm 1

13 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Y’all are going thru interesting contortions to claim he’s not giving personal favors. Is Thomas’ mom distant, too?

No, that would only one generation apart.  It is my understanding Crow had the home appraised and paid market value and is planning on a museum for Thomas.  What a scum bag.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, I_M4_AU said:

No, that would only one generation apart.  It is my understanding Crow had the home appraised and paid market value and is planning on a museum for Thomas.  What a scum bag.

Very welcome move by Mr Crow. ICHY is supposed to be supportive regarding renovations like the above mentioned.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

“I think you’re worthy of a museum. You’re just that great. I’m gonna do that and pay your momma’s rent in the mean time. Let’s chat policy over Scotch. I’ll fly you to my resort.” 

18 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

“I think you’re worthy of a museum. You’re just that great. I’m gonna do that and pay your momma’s rent in the mean time. Let’s chat policy over Scotch. I’ll fly you to my resort.” 

I’m unaware if Crow has had anything rise to the level of the SCOTUS that Thomas has had to decide on.  Has any other Justice had a, say a publisher of one of her books, had either decide if the SCOTUS should hear it or a decision?