This should concern you regardless of party

TexasTiger

6 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

We are being trained to no longer respect the ideas and ideals of,,, fairness, equality, democracy, ethics.

Our religion is unrestrained capitalism, our god is money/power.  We have rejected Jesus and humanity.

Spoken like a true believer.

7 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

I have no problem with stricter codes.

https://thehill.com/homenews/3987959-thomas-biographer-paoletta-tuition-payment/

Paoletta argues that the payments were not reportable gifts, because federal law does not include a great-nephew as a dependent child, only a “son, daughter, stepson or stepdaughter.” 

“This malicious story shows nothing except for the fact that the Thomases and the Crows are kind, generous, and loving people who tried to help this young man,” he said. 

Crow’s office said in a statement that he and his wife have funded scholarships for many students in the past. The office said tuition assistance and other financial aid is given directly to an institution instead of an individual. 

Why the “palmface” @icanthearyou? You are the one that complains continually about the wealth not sharing with the less fortunate. 

• Dislike 1

6 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Why the “palmface” @icanthearyou? You are the one that complains continually about the wealth not sharing with the less fortunate. 

I think he prefers it when there’s no favorable treatment expected or even appearance of impropriety.

4 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

I think he prefers it when there’s no favorable treatment expected or even appearance of impropriety.

I don’t know it was favorable treatment and neither do you. I agree that the appearance is bad. People have been trying to oust Clarence Thomas  since his induction.

• Dislike 1

4 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

I don’t know it was favorable treatment and neither do you. I agree that the appearance is bad. People have been trying to oust Clarence Thomas  since his induction.

There’s been no meaningful effort to oust him. That’s only in your crazy world.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TexasTiger said:

There’s been no meaningful effort to oust him. That’s only in your crazy world.

I agree with no “meaningful effort”. Read some postings right here. Brother Homer and others would love to see an impeachment. 

5 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

I agree with no “meaningful effort”. Read some postings right here. Brother Homer and others would love to see an impeachment. 

It ain’t happening. Never been tried. He was a poor choice from the start, though.

1 minute ago, TexasTiger said:

It ain’t happening. Never been tried. He was a poor choice from the start, though.

I read his book this past year and do not understand your “poor choice”. I do respect your reasoning and understand you are more in tone legally and politically than me.

Will also consult Nola. He is studied and certainly not “unethical”

12 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

I know @NolaAuTiger is absolutely unethical and hopeless, but does this one bother you @SaltyTiger?

https://www.propublica.org/article/clarence-thomas-harlan-crow-private-school-tuition-scotus

Were you “bothered” by Justice Ginsburg‘s travel on Morris Kahn’s dime? Were you “bothered” when the Court denied cert in a patent eligibility case against Kahn’s company?

Were you “bothered” by Justice Breyer’s travel on the Pritzker family’s dime? Do you know who JB Pritzker is?

Of course you were not bothered. Once again, your claimed “concern” over Justice Thomas is utter bull.

To borrow from a late-Justice you hate (Antonin Scalia), enough with all the “jiggery-pokery.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Were you “bothered” by Justice Ginsburg‘s travel on Morris Kahn’s dime? Were you “bothered” when the Court denied cert in a patent eligibility case against Kahn’s company?

Were you “bothered” by Justice Breyer’s travel on the Pritzker family’s dime? Do you know who JB Pritzker is?

Of course you were not bothered. Once again, your claimed “concern” over Justice Thomas is utter bull.

To borrow from a late-Justice you hate (Antonin Scalia), enough with all the “jiggery-pokery.”

As I’ve said, I’d tighten it up across the board. Anything that gives the appearance of impropriety lessens confidence in the Court. Has anyone else’s spouse raked in $700K from an interest group? Please share those details.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

As I’ve said, I’d tighten it up across the board. Anything that gives the appearance of impropriety lessens confidence in the Court. Has anyone else’s spouse raked in $700K from an interest group? Please share those details.

Does a public company who has donated millions to the Democratic Party over the years count as an interest group?

Edited by NolaAuTiger

6 hours ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Does a public company who has donated millions to the Democratic Party over the years count as an interest group?

If you have a point you’d have made it by now. You’re like a lawyer with a crappy case relying on innuendo.

46 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

If you have a point you’d have made it by now. You’re like a lawyer with a crappy case relying on innuendo.

I like the build up. I’m taking my time with you. 

Also, I expect a new thread from you today regarding Sotomayor and her book publisher. Come on, Mr. Neutral And Upright. Start reading the morning’s headlines. 

2 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Also, I expect a new thread from you today regarding Sotomayor and her book publisher. Come on, Mr. Neutral And Upright. Start reading the morning’s headlines. 

Look up thread. Added it yesterday. Said it was a problem. During your buildup you’re falling behind. 😉

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Ethical constraints on the court would apply to ALL members, not just those representing the Federalist Society.  So, your argument that this is partisan,,, is inane.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

Look up thread. Added it yesterday. Said it was a problem. During your buildup you’re falling behind. 😉

Is it outrageous?

2 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

I think a well designed ethics code would prohibit it.

I actually don’t think this one is a problem, nor any of the other examples I’ve referred to. The right and left only care about ethics when it involves a Justice they don’t like.

2 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

I actually don’t think this one is a problem, nor any of the other examples I’ve referred to. The right and left only care about ethics when it involves a Justice they don’t like.

I think if George Soros was doing for a liberal Justice what Harlan Crowe is doing for Thomas the House would be doing an investigation and right wing heads would explode. 

Given the primacy of the Court in our society I think it’s critical it be seen as above the partisan fray even while having judicial philosophies that lean one way or another. I think you could probably find questionable behavior by most, if not all, the Justices, but the depth and breadth of incidents with Thomas truly stand out. The most recent involves payments to Ginni with directions to apparently falsify the invoices to conceal where the money was going. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Do you honestly believe that Clarence Thomas is one of the "less fortunate"?