2024 5* CG Dylan Harper

toddc

Didn’t see a 24 thread so I still wanted to post. Not sure what chance we have but it would be nice.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, toddc said:

Didn’t see a 24 thread so I still wanted to post. Not sure what chance we have but it would be nice.

According to my sources, we’ve got a 1 in 5 chance based on overwhelming statistical data. 😉 

• Haha 4

Dylan Harper, the No. 2 overall prospect in 2024, updates his recruitment

91 minutes ago

Dylan Harper, the No. 2 overall ranked player in the junior class, took the floor at the USA Basketball Mini Camp at the Final Four over the weekend and while in Houston he caught to discuss the latest in his recruitment with 247Sports.

The 6-foot-4 combo guard out of Ramsey (NJ) Don Bosco Prep is down to five schools: Auburn, Duke, Indiana, Kansas and Rutgers.

"Great," he said when asked about how his recruitment is going. "I dropped my top five and I am just waiting until after Peach Jam to make my announcement."

He's taken two official visits to Duke and Indiana, plus unofficials to Rutgers, but plans to take more officials before making an ultimate decision.

"Two or three more to Rutgers, Auburn and Kansas," he said if he would do more visits. "I will hit the remaining three."

The five-star prospect further broke down his thoughts looking back on his two officials and his thoughts on the other three programs.

Auburn: "The guard play they got, when you turn the TV on and watch them play, Bruce Pearl really lets his guards play and go up and down the floor and control the game."

Duke: "I had a great time. Right when I walked in and walked out they really showed me what the Brotherhood was. Scheyer and the whole staff sat me down and told me what they could do for me and I really liked what I had to hear."

Indiana: "Coach Woodson really emphasized the NBA play style from where he coached in the League for so long. It was a great visit and he told me if I come there they will put the ball in my hands and let me get up and down the floor."

Kansas: "Just the winning culture they have. Their in the Final Four like every year, in the National Championship and overall, they're winning."

Rutgers: "It's home. Every time I go there there is always love and affection everywhere I go. The coaching staff really emphasized how they are recruiting me not just because of my brother but for me."

While conducting the interview five-star junior Ace Bailey, who is committed to Rutgers, jumped in to crack some jokes and hype him up about Rutgers.

"He's always calling me, texting me, DM'ing me all the time," Harper said of Bailey. "He is telling me we can win a 'natty' [National Championship] together and I really believe we could. I am really going to take that into thought."

Harper told 247Sports that he plans to make his commitment after Peach Jam, which will take place during the first evaluation period in July - July 6-9.

1COMMENTS

"Really a team that trusts me and believes in me," he said of his deciding factor. "I am going to sit down with every coach and really listen to what they have to say and after that I will make my decision."

Harper is the son of former NBA All Star Ron Harper Sr. and the younger brother of former Rutgers star Ron Harper Jr.

• Thanks 1

• ellitor changed the title to 2024 5* CG Dylan Harper
12 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

😂 now that’s funny - Auburn turning down a 5* SG 😂

You may be Cameron but you’re not crazy.

See what I did there? Not as good when you explain it. Huh 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Likely not a take for AU per JLee FWIW.

Did he happen to elaborate on why the #2 ranked overall high school player in the country would not be a take for us by chance? Without any context that would obviously be a laughable scenario for every team in college basketball. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CameronCrazy said:

😂 now that’s funny - Auburn turning down a 5* SG 😂

Did it with Zion Cruz who was a 5* at the time we tuened him down twice last year.

Also remember fellas we have Pettiford and Philon committed in the same class as Harper. They are our guards for the class.

1 hour ago, NoALtiger said:

Did he happen to elaborate on why the #2 ranked overall high school player in the country would not be a take for us by chance? Without any context that would obviously be a laughable scenario for every team in college basketball. 

@NoALtiger No and he shouldn't have when you look at our commit list for the class. We have 2 guards already committed for the class. and 3 total commits with Marshall. The only other high schooler we would take in the 2024 class as of now is Flory Bidunga.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NoALtiger said:

2 reasons:

1.  Our class is full on Gs and we’re pleased with who we have.  
2.  This kid is not coming to AU so we’re not pursuing him heavily.  

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

On 4/4/2023 at 7:59 PM, ellitor said:

Likely not a take for AU per JLee FWIW.

I was about to blast JLee till I saw the date.😂

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I was about to blast JLee till I saw the date.😂

Yeah. I should’ve deleted the post when I moved Todd’s post from the Recruiting thread to Harper’s thread.

• Haha 1

On 4/4/2023 at 10:51 PM, ellitor said:

@NoALtiger No and he shouldn't have when you look at our commit list for the class. We have 2 guards already committed for the class. and 3 total commits with Marshall. The only other high schooler we would take in the 2024 class as of now is Flory Bidunga.

This is why you should always continue to recruit top talent. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

E’s original point is still valid even with the events that occurred. You only have so many coaches (and we were down one for weeks), there’s not much reason to spend that on a guy who wasn’t a need (and would’ve likely led to a decommitment/non-commitment from a prospect we did already have or need). 

To put it a different way, if your coach could’ve only kept the pressure on this guy (keep in mind we had 2 guards committed, 1 coming in and 3 guards on roster) or tried to find a small forward on the future (we didn’t have ANY long term options outside of Westry there), then why would you spend it on him? 

13 hours ago, NoALtiger said:

This is why you should always continue to recruit top talent. 

@NoALtiger And we obviously never stopped but Harper was not a take when Philon was committed.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, War to the Eagle said:

So to sort it all out, since I haven’t been following closely, I take it Dylan Harper is of interest to AU?

@War to the EagleHas always been an interest.

• Thanks 1

Just going to be blunt here: there is absolutely nothing in this kid’s statements or actions to suggest we’re a serious contender on the same level as Duke or Rutgers (or even in the 2nd tier with Indiana, where he also took an official). It’s a huge waste of time to debate whether he’s “a take”. Of course we’d “take” a top 3 player in the class, but there’s zero reason to worry about this at least until he visits. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Dunndone414 said:

Just going to be blunt here: there is absolutely nothing in this kid’s statements or actions to suggest we’re a serious contender on the same level as Duke or Rutgers (or even in the 2nd tier with Indiana, where he also took an official). It’s a huge waste of time to debate whether he’s “a take”. Of course we’d “take” a top 3 player in the class, but there’s zero reason to worry about this at least until he visits. 

You’d think so yeah but we were told here he wasn’t a take. Crazy. 

23 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

18 minutes ago, AUINSY said:

Why would he put us in his top 5 if he wasn’t a take?

Old news. We would take him anywhere he wants to go now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NoALtiger said:

He wasn't when we had Philon per multiple AU reporters.