Wendell Green Declares For NBA Draft

Auburn point guard Wendell Green Jr. enters NBA draft

24 minutes ago

Auburn's All-SEC point guard is turning pro.

Wendell Green Jr. has declared for the NBA draft, the would-be rising senior announced on social media Sunday afternoon. Players have until May 31 to withdraw from the draft process, so Green can assess his professional prospects and receive NBA feedback before making a decision on whether to stay in the draft or return to college. But Green's post certainly reads like he's set on moving on to the next level.

"It has been a great honor to play for Auburn University for the past few seasons," Green said. "Thank you to the coaching and training staff for your guidance, advice and leadership. I would also like to thank my teammates and everyone who has played a role in helping me get to where I am today. I would like to announce that I will be starting my professional career and declaring for the 2023 NBA draft."

A former transfer from Eastern Kentucky, Green was Auburn's sixth man last season before taking over starting point guard duties in 2022-23. En route to a second team All-SEC selection, Green averaged 13.7 points per game, plus 4.1 assists and 1.7 steals.

22COMMENTS

Auburn will likely look to signee Aden Holloway, a top-30 overall recruit, as its new starting point guard. Rising sophomore Tre Donaldson is also back to reprise his role off the bench.

With Green's decision, Auburn now has four scholarship spots open for next season's roster — and that's still including seniors Jaylin WilliamsAllen Flanigan and Babatunde Akingbola, all of who have an extra year of COVID-19 eligibility they could exercise.

• Haha 1

• ellitor changed the title to Wendell Declares For NBA Draft

Glad this situation worked itself out. I think we’ll see a roster upgrade next season at most positions.

• Like 1

• ellitor changed the title to Wendell Green Declares For NBA Draft

Great representative of Auburn University, guy that's given us some great moments. Wish we could've seen him in a role more akin to last year's, where I think he woulda been MUCH better, but it is what it is. Wish the fella the best where he goes next!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

So I’ve not looked at any mock drafts but is this even a thing? 

He probably hopes to either land somewhere in the G League or transfers to another school. He probably ends up over seas if playing professionally is his goal.  

Any rate, happy for WG. Appreciate what he did here for us but this was necessary. I suspect Bruce won't recruit over Aden and Tre and gets some 2's and 3's in the portal. And maybe a 4 to back up Jaylin or even start if he leaves. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Moving on is good for Wendell, and good for us.  I wish him well.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Maybe it wasn't a mutual parting of ways

It wasn't from what I've gathered. Hinted by Bird and E that there was some divisiveness on this team, one being from a high profile player. I won't put words in their mouth as they could be hearing totally different things, but from what I am seeing making the rounds on social media, that would be my guess. Edit: this is just my opinion. 

Edited by Maverick.AU
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

It wasn't from what I've gathered. Hinted by Bird and E that there was some divisiveness on this team, one being from a high profile player. I won't put words in their mouth as they could be hearing totally different things, but from what I am seeing making the rounds on social media, that would be my guess.

This was the first rumor I've seen on any board about Wen.  I've seen various people hint at both AF and KD had issues.  If Wen was having similar "Chemistry" type issues it makes sense b/c all 3 of those are essentially on the "most likely" transfer list anyone puts out.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

It wasn't from what I've gathered. Hinted by Bird and E that there was some divisiveness on this team, one being from a high profile player. I won't put words in their mouth as they could be hearing totally different things, but from what I am seeing making the rounds on social media, that would be my guess.

i thought something was kinda off but hell i stay high so i figured it was just me. this kind of surprises me that this could happen on one of Bruce's teams.

9 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

This was the first rumor I've seen on any board about Wen.  I've seen various people hint at both AF and KD had issues.  If Wen was having similar "Chemistry" type issues it makes sense b/c all 3 of those are essentially on the "most likely" transfer list anyone puts out.

I had heard about flan and the rumor of Wes leaving too, hadn't seen anything on KD, but it would make sense. It could be potentially that his dad made a post and it's not indicative of Wen, but who knows. Just the vibe I was getting. Nothing factual 

Edited by Maverick.AU
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Maverick.AU said:

If this and the other tweet from Green’s dad to Aden are legit then get Wendell and all his stuff packed and out of Auburn as fast as possible.  

edit to add this is a fake account.  Carry on.

Edited by Win4AU

Just now, Win4AU said:

If this and the other tweet from Green’s dad to Aden are legit then get Wendell and all his stuff packed and out of Auburn as fast as possible.  

Can you share the tweet to Aden?

1 minute ago, Tiger said:

Can you share the tweet to Aden?

It ended up being fake but it’s floating around twitter.  Should have done a little more research before I said something 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Win4AU said:

It ended up being fake but it’s floating around twitter.  Should have done a little more research before I said something 

I can confirm the Wendell Green Sr tweet replying "LOL" to Bruce is on fact real and also that is the actual Wendell Green Sr

10 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I can confirm the Wendell Green Sr tweet replying "LOL" to Bruce is on fact real and also that is the actual Wendell Green Sr

The other handle was Wendell Green I.

31 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

The other handle was Wendell Green I.

Don’t know about any of this, but of his Dad made comments to an incoming player, it’s time he move on. Not to sound too down on them, but I’m not sure losing WG, AF or KD will affect us one bit. Just my opinion based on what I’ve seen the past two seasons. 

1 hour ago, Old fan 47 said:

but of his Dad made comments to an incoming player, it’s time he move on.

That was a fake twitter account