Trump Indictment Is a Perversion of Campaign-Finance Law

3 hours ago, Auburnfan91 said:

It will for sure get dismissed on appeal if the judge(who dislikes Trump) doesn't dismiss it first. The feds failed to pursue a misdemeanor because they didn't see anything there. The FEC could have fined Trump like they did Hillary for violating campaign finance laws, but they didn't because in their view it didn't happen.

The only reason it's gotten this far is because of the political makeup of those pursuing this and the jurisdiction it's in.

For the better good of our country, I hope you are right.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Auburnfan91 said:

It will for sure get dismissed on appeal if the judge(who dislikes Trump) doesn't dismiss it first. The feds failed to pursue a misdemeanor because they didn't see anything there. The FEC could have fined Trump like they did Hillary for violating campaign finance laws, but they didn't because in their view it didn't happen.

The only reason it's gotten this far is because of the political makeup of those pursuing this and the jurisdiction it's in.

They saw enough there to charge Michael Cohen and list Trump as an unindicted co-conspriator.  They made the decision not to prosecute Trump because they thought that was in the best interest of the country.  The Biden Justice Dept made that decision. The Trump Justice Dept prosecuted Michael Cohen.  Why should Cohen spend time in prison for what he did at the direction and for the benefit of Trump?  Should the principal not be as guilty as his agent?

That said, I don't like the indictment in State Court.  I believe that it is a stretch.  If Federal charges were brought, it would be a slam dunk.  The funniest thing is listening to Trump people calling Cohen untrustworthy because he is a convicted felon.  Yes, he was committing the felonies on behalf of Donald Trump!

4 hours ago, Auburnfan91 said:

You claim he dislikes Trump simply because Trump says so... really?  What evidence is there that he will not be impartial?

9 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

I think if it were just going to be summarily dismissed, it would have either happened already, or the DA would have declined to pursue charges.

Proving intent to defraud is an extremely high bar under the New York statute. Case law certainly bodes well for the defense in these circumstances. I would not be surprised if Trump successfully dismisses the case before trial.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

You claim he dislikes Trump simply because Trump says so... really?  What evidence is there that he will not be impartial?

SMDH

5 hours ago, Auburnfan91 said:

It will for sure NOT get dismissed. Bragg has compiled a massive truckload of evidence or he would not have brought the case.

That said, even if convicted of all or any of these 34 felonies, Trump will not get jail time. Nobody ever does in these sorts of cases if they are a first time offender. He will just be *A FELON*

But in reality, his lawyers will exploit every loophole, back alley fabricated nutsoid concocted strategy to delay and drag on this case into the next century. That is the strategy of Trump in all cases brought against him. He doesn't actually defend himself in court. It is delay, delay, delay, to wear down the plaintiffs until they run out of money or energy to continue.

The more dangerous cases for Trump are (1) the defamation/rape case by E. Jean Carroll, which will get him by the balls and drag him into ignominy, and huge reparations and massive payoffs to the Plaintiff, (2) the attempted Georgia election vote overthrow attempt, which actually could land him and his butt-lickers in jail, (3) the NY State case against business fraud by the Trump organization, and (4) the January 6 special counsel investigation into his role in instigating an insurrection.

This first case is just a beginning. The Donald has some real legal problems and, as the Don of his mob syndicate, he and his children will eventually go down.

55 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

He's already handled multiple cases related to Trump associates and is allowing this nonsense of an indictment to continue.  Maybe he'll dismiss it and show he's not as biased as people think but I'm not holding my breath.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

He's already handled multiple cases related to Trump associates and is allowing this nonsense of an indictment to continue.  Maybe he'll dismiss it and show he's not as biased as people think but I'm not holding my breath.

Should the Justice Dept have filed the case?  Should they have prosecuted Michael Cohen?  Why should Cohen have been charged and the principal that he was acting on behalf of not be charged?

The way the assignment of cases works in New York is that if a judge has heard cases concerning a common defendant, he or she is assigned the case.  I have no doubt that the judge would be attacked regardless of who he or she is.

• Facepalm 1

3 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

Exactly,,, the only evidence is that Trump and family is whining.

You know damn well this isn't true. Even liberal legal commentators on various channels have stated this case is a nothing burger. Doesn't mean he won't be convicted given the judge and jurisdiction. 

What makes Donald Trump a danger to this country is his total lack of respect for any segment of our government that is not doing something to his personal benefit.

The man didn't even attend Biden's inauguration.  How un-American do you have to be to refuse to participate in the peaceful transition of power?

3 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

You know damn well this isn't true. Even liberal legal commentators on various channels have stated this case is a nothing burger. Doesn't mean he won't be convicted given the judge and jurisdiction. 

The Judge has NOTHING to do with bringing these charges.  Do you hear me?  He can only dismiss these charges upon a motion by either the State or the Defendant at this point.

Just now, AU9377 said:

What makes Donald Trump a danger to this country is his total lack of respect for any segment of our government that is not doing something to his personal benefit.

The man didn't even attend Biden's inauguration.  How un-American do you have to be to refuse to participate in the peaceful transition of power?

I'm not a fan of obfuscation What else you got?

Just now, AUFAN78 said:

I'm not a fan of obfuscation What else you got?

You can believe in any fairy tale you want.  However, the truth is that the election was not won by Trump in 2020.  I don't owe an explanation.  I have already told you that the judge does not bring charges.  You act as though nothing shady was done.  Michael Cohen spends time in jail, yet the man he was working on behalf of is a saint?  Is that right?

Just now, AU9377 said:

The Judge has NOTHING to do with bringing these charges.  Do you hear me?  He can only dismiss these charges upon a motion by either the State or the Defendant at this point.

But he has everything to do with throwing them out right? He can do the right thing correct? Hasn't the defendant pleaded not guilty?

3 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

But he has everything to do with throwing them out right? He can do the right thing correct? Hasn't the defendant pleaded not guilty?

A grand jury issued an indictment.  The judge will not dismiss without a motion, along with briefs and oral arguments as to the motion to dismiss.  There is a process.

I'm not being rude, but I am headed to bed.  We can discuss tomorrow.  Sleep well.

Edited by AU9377

7 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

You can believe in any fairy tale you want.  However, the truth is that the election was not won by Trump in 2020.  I don't owe an explanation.  I have already told you that the judge does not bring charges.  You act as though nothing shady was done.  Michael Cohen spends time in jail, yet the man he was working on behalf of is a saint?  Is that right?

Why do you continue to be disingenuous? Show me where I stated Trump won. WTF? I listen to legal experts around the country that agree this case is ridiculous. What more are you looking for? I've already acknowledged Trump very well may be convicted due to judge and jurisdiction. 

Edited by AUFAN78

3 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

A grand jury issued an indictment.  The judge will not dismiss without a motion, along with briefs and oral arguments as to the motion to dismiss.  There is a process.

I'm not being rude, but I am headed to bed.  We can discuss tomorrow.  Sleep well.

No one stated otherwise.

Have a good evening.

1 hour ago, AU9377 said:

They saw enough there to charge Michael Cohen and list Trump as an unindicted co-conspriator.  They made the decision not to prosecute Trump because they thought that was in the best interest of the country.  The Biden Justice Dept made that decision. The Trump Justice Dept prosecuted Michael Cohen.  Why should Cohen spend time in prison for what he did at the direction and for the benefit of Trump?  Should the principal not be as guilty as his agent?

That said, I don't like the indictment in State Court.  I believe that it is a stretch.  If Federal charges were brought, it would be a slam dunk.  The funniest thing is listening to Trump people calling Cohen untrustworthy because he is a convicted felon.  Yes, he was committing the felonies on behalf of Donald Trump!

Bragg cited no law that Trump violated.

Cohen lied multiple times and conceded that his conduct was illegal.

That doesn't make Trump's payments illegal. Bragg's indictment provides no proof that it was illegal.

• Thanks 1

On the face of it this certainly seems to be the weakest of the cases that will be brought against Trump. I'm still not expecting much to come of it, but I am curious as to what Bragg said in his statements after the arraignment, which was that new evidence has been obtained since last year when the office declined to indict and that is the reason they have moved forward. The implication seemed to be that at least some of the evidence came from the investigations of the Trump Organization that led to the conviction of Allen Weisselberg and penalties against the company. 

2 hours ago, AURex said:

It will for sure NOT get dismissed. Bragg has compiled a massive truckload of evidence or he would not have brought the case.

That said, even if convicted of all or any of these 34 felonies, Trump will not get jail time. Nobody ever does in these sorts of cases if they are a first time offender. He will just be *A FELON*

But in reality, his lawyers will exploit every loophole, back alley fabricated nutsoid concocted strategy to delay and drag on this case into the next century. That is the strategy of Trump in all cases brought against him. He doesn't actually defend himself in court. It is delay, delay, delay, to wear down the plaintiffs until they run out of money or energy to continue.

The more dangerous cases for Trump are (1) the defamation/rape case by E. Jean Carroll, which will get him by the balls and drag him into ignominy, and huge reparations and massive payoffs to the Plaintiff, (2) the attempted Georgia election vote overthrow attempt, which actually could land him and his butt-lickers in jail, (3) the NY State case against business fraud by the Trump organization, and (4) the January 6 special counsel investigation into his role in instigating an insurrection.

This first case is just a beginning. The Donald has some real legal problems and, as the Don of his mob syndicate, he and his children will eventually go down.

If true, so be it. Then I sure the legal system will go after the Biden mafia next?

2 hours ago, AURex said:

Seems the only truckload Bragg has is the all-you-can-eat buffet.

• Haha 1

Fiddy, I dont know a former Kucinich supporter that is not now under going the transgender process....lol 😉

On 4/3/2023 at 7:28 PM, PUB78 said:

It’s a shame. This will be dismissed pretty fast by a judge, but Trump will use it to rally his followers and raise $.

This is the problem I have with this. If trump were Joe Sixpack politician, he would be dead from this. He has a cultish following tho and I cant see how they are going to be anything but more animated about this. trump has to be sidelined by something now or 2024 is going to be razor-thin again.

This nation would be very well served if Biden and trump both died in the next few months.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

This nation would be very well served if Biden and trump both died in the next few months.

Harsh, but true.

• Like 1