3/31/23 Football Articles

aubiefifty

Auburn trying to temper expectations for 'monster' freshman Keldric Faulk

Published: Mar. 30, 2023, 12:55 p.m.
7–8 minutes

During the frenzied three-week period after Hugh Freeze accepted the head coaching job at Auburn, there was one recruit he allocated a preponderance of his time to — Keldric Faulk.

Freeze made the one permitted in-home visit to Faulk less than two weeks after taking over on the Plains, but he made sure the 6-foot-6, 275-pound edge rusher felt like a priority to Auburn every day leading up to December’s early signing period. That meant phone calls every morning and every night, and “a ton” of FaceTime conversations between the Tigers’ new coach and the talented four-star in-state prospect.

Read more Auburn football: Why Auburn’s linebackers have been a pleasant surprise this spring

Auburn’s wide receivers look to “change the narrative” this season

Auburn defensive coordinator Ron Roberts’ magic number for contributors this season is 25. Here’s where that stands this spring

As Auburn’s first spring under Freeze winds down, with just a few more practices remaining before next weekend’s A-Day game, it’s easy to see why Freeze and his staff made such an overwhelming push to land Faulk, the top-75 prospect in their initial signing class.

“I’m telling you, Keldric Faulk, he’s going to be it,” defensive line coach Jeremy Garrett said. “He’s going to be it. Really excited about the way he rushes and the way he’s progressed since he got here. He’s going to be good.”

Faulk has been among the standouts for Auburn this spring, and not just as a true freshman early enrollee. The Highland Home product has been the talk of teammates and coaches alike for his development — as well as his size — at a position of serious need for the Tigers. Freeze didn’t hide the fact that Auburn is “deficient in true pass-rushers” this spring following the departures of Derick Hall and Eku Leota, and while the staff still wants to add more depth in that area, Faulk is a newcomer who they believe can make an immediate impact at the Jack linebacker position in Ron Roberts’ defense.

“Keldric Faulk, man, he’s a monster,” linebacker Cam Riley said. “He stands up at a good size. He’s a good, complete edge, I would say. He’s a very physical guy. He sets the edge, for a freshman, that’s pretty outstanding.”

It shouldn’t come as a complete surprise that Faulk’s stock has quickly risen at Auburn. He was, after all, the prized signee in Freeze’s first recruiting class on the Plains. A longtime Florida State commit, Faulk flipped to Auburn at the start of the early signing period and wound up being the Tigers’ highest-rated signee in a transitional class that finished 18th in the 247Sports Composite team rankings.

Rated as the No. 74 overall recruit in the country, Faulk was regarded as a top-10 defensive line prospect in the class and one of the best players in Alabama. As a senior at Highland Home, Faulk earned first-team All-State honors and earned an invite to the All-American Bowl thanks to his ability off the edge. It’s a skillset that has, so far, translated well to Auburn, where he looks to provide some immediate relief as a pass-rusher.

After losing Hall, who led the team in sacks each of the last two seasons, as well as Leota (second in sacks in 2021, third in 2022 despite missing much of the year due to injury), Auburn has a need to fill off the edge. The Tigers added Vanderbilt transfer Elijah McAllister, and Faulk, as well as Opelika product Brenton Williams to a room that returned just one scholarship piece: Dylan Brooks. With an opportunity in front of him as an early enrollee, Faulk has capitalized this spring.

“He’s special,” defensive end Jeffrey M’ba said. “He’s special. I watch him. The way he plays, he plays hard. He gives everything he’s got every single time. I don’t even think he’s lost one 1-on-1…. That tells you how good he is. He’s not afraid to line up against anybody. All he thinks about is being great. Being around a kid like this is cool.”

The hype-train for Faulk is gaining steam this spring, but it’s important to remember he’s still a true freshman and is still adjusting to the college game. Though Faulk certainly looks the part — at 6-foot-6 and 275 pounds, he’s Auburn’s most physically imposing Jack linebacker — Roberts said it took him about six practices to really get a feel for the system and start to come into his own.

“There’s so much hesitation — what do I do, what am I doing, how do I play this, how do I play that? — which is normal,” Roberts said. “That’s kind of expected going into things…. I think he’s done an outstanding job, and he’s shown an ability to be a heck of a football player for us.”

Over the last two weeks of practices, though, things have started to slow down more for Faulk. His grasp of the position and its role within the defense is getting stronger, he’s adjusting to the speed of the game, and it’s showing out on the field and in the meeting room — even as Roberts said Faulk and his fellow freshman, Williams, are still in a growing phase this early on.

That Faulk has caught on so quickly is a promising sign for Auburn on the pass-rushing front, but the Tigers are trying not to hoist him onto a pedestal heading into Year 1. They’re confident he can play a key role off the edge, with Roberts certain he’ll make the most progress in the offseason months and through fall camp, which should have him SEC-ready come September.

However, they also want to temper expectations for a true freshman coming in, especially at that position.

Though Auburn is deficient in returning pass-rush production (Marcus Harris, with two, is the only returning player who had more than one sack last season), the program hasn’t had a true freshman lead the team in sacks since it became an officially recognized stat in 2000. Three redshirt freshmen have led the team in sacks in that span (DeMarco McNeil with five in 2000, Quentin Groves with 11 in 2004, and Colby Wooden with four in 2019), but in the last decade, Auburn has had only one true freshman finish with more than two sacks in his first season: Carl Lawson, who had four in 2013.

The only other true freshmen since then who had multiple sacks in their debut seasons were Big Kat Bryant in 2017, Richard Jibunor in 2018 and Owen Pappoe in 2019. Each of those three finished with two sacks apiece.

“I don’t think he realizes how good he can actually be,” Garrett said. “He’s just coming in to work. He’s not listening to anybody telling him how good he is or anything like that. He’s coming in, he’s studying. He’s working hard. He’s trying to learn. He’s out there early walking through techniques.

“I just think the kid’s going to be special, has a bright future as he keeps progressing.”

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

• Thanks 1

Trio of transfers has ‘absolutely improved’ Auburn’s O-line this spring

Published: Mar. 31, 2023, 7:10 a.m.
6–7 minutes

One of the biggest questions surrounding Auburn this offseason has yielded some promising answers as the team rolls toward its annual A-Day spring game.

The Tigers’ retooled offensive line, featuring a trio of Group of Five transfers, has taken shape during spring practices — leaving Hugh Freeze and his offensive staff feeling much better about the position group than they did when Freeze was hired at the end of November.

“Offensive line, I think, has been a real positive surprise throughout the spring,” offensive coordinator Philip Montgomery said this week. “I think the guys that we’ve been able to add to that room have made an impact.”

Read more Auburn football: “He’s a monster”: Auburn trying to temper expectations for freshman edge rusher Keldric Faulk

Why Auburn’s linebackers have been a pleasant surprise this spring

Auburn’s wide receivers look to “change the narrative” this season

Auburn’s offensive line play has left plenty to be desired in recent years. It has been a combination of misses on the recruiting trail — both in terms of prospects the previous coaching staffs were unable to land and number of overall additions to the room — and underdevelopment of the players on the roster. The result was oftentimes underwhelming play from the offensive line, whether in pass protection or run blocking, and an uneven scholarship distribution that left the group with several holes to fill this offseason following the departures of six seniors and the transfer of a junior with starting experience.

When Freeze and Co. took over the program, Auburn had just eight scholarship offensive linemen on the roster. Getting those numbers back up was a priority, and one that was promptly addressed through the transfer portal and the 2023 class.

Auburn added eight offensive linemen for the upcoming season (the most in a single cycle since Gene Chizik signed seven in 2012), landing four high school signees (the most prep linemen signed by the program since 2015), a top-rated junior college prospect in Izavion Miller and a trio of plug-and-play transfers: offensive tackles Dillon Wade (Tulsa) and Gunner Britton (Western Kentucky) and center Avery Jones (Eastern Carolina).

It’s the three experienced transfers who have provided the biggest boost this spring, as Jones has assumed the first-team job at center in a group that also includes Wade at left tackle and Britton at right tackle. They have typically been joined by Jeremiah Wright (left guard) and Tate Johnson (right guard) in the first rotation as Auburn sorts out its depth chart along the line for this fall.

“Those guys are really starting to mesh as a unit,” Montgomery said. “I think coach (Jake) Thornton’s done a great job with them. Right now, those guys to me are still our strength and that’s where you want it to be, in my opinion, as you start building an offense or a team it all starts in the trenches. Those guys jelling and coming together, getting on the same page is going to be a positive move for us.”

The transition for Wade, Britton and Jones has been seemingly seamless — and a welcome development, considering each player’s level of experience.

Wade’s move to the SEC has probably been the easiest considering he played under Montgomery at Tulsa and is already familiar with his system, even as Montgomery works to meld his philosophy with Freeze’s. He started 16 games for Tulsa the last two years, including every outing at left tackle last fall before opting to transfer as the No. 1 offensive tackle in the portal. Britton spent five seasons at WKU and started 18 games, including all 14 for the Hilltoppers last season. He entered the portal as the sixth-rated tackle on the market before signing with Auburn in January.

Then there’s Jones, a former four-star recruit who started his career at UNC but spent the last three seasons at ECU, where he started 32 games for the Pirates before hitting the portal this offseason as the top-rated center on the market.

RELATED: Hugh Freeze explains value, balancing act of honestly assessing Auburn’s quarterbacks publicly

“He’s taken a lot of snaps,” Montgomery said. “He’s not being surprised by a lot of the different looks that we’re getting from our defense right now, which has been great. A guy that can handle those duties, can make a lot of calls. As a quarterback getting good snaps and knowing where those things are going to be, especially in the game that we want to play in the RPO system. You know, you start spraying snaps all over the place and then that’s going to affect the way you run your offense.

“I think his veteran presence in there has been really significant and will continue to be that way.”

All three of those additions — along with the signing of Miller and freshmen early enrollees Connor Lew, Clay Wedin and Bradyn Joiner — have not only helped replenish some of the numbers in the trenches for Auburn but infused the unit with a fresh wave of talent and experience. As Montgomery pointed out, the Tigers are more athletic up front than they were just a few months ago. The group’s approach throughout the spring has also impressed Montgomery, who wants to see that continue through the final handful of practices and A-Day as he, Thornton and Freeze try to put more on their plates heading into the offseason.

Simply put, Auburn’s coaches want to see them “continue to keep raising the bar” this offseason and see what results that will yield come fall. At this point, at least, one thing is certain to Freeze.

“They have absolutely improved us,” Freeze said. “We won’t know until the fall if — did we close the gap far enough to be able to compete with the elite in this league? We won’t know that until the fall. But there’s no question in my mind that they improved us, and I’m pleased with how they’re going about their business.”

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

• Like 1

• Thanks 1

• Love 1

38 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

That's 4 years old FWIW

10 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

That's 4 years old FWIW

yes i know it is. you are not the only dude on the board. people like the video's of players and coaches. who pissed in your cornflakes?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, aubiefifty said:

yes i know it is. you are not the only dude on the board. people like the video's of players and coaches. who pissed in your cornflakes?

No one is mad here.  I was under the impression "3/31 Football Articles" were from today.  Seems most others were

14 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

No one is mad here.  I was under the impression "3/31 Football Articles" were from today.  Seems most others were

quit assuming so much. on slow days i add stat tiger video's and whatever might be interesting. the date just states the articles posted at that time. you are being stupid because some video's were taken on one day but not available  and are   not posted for the public until a day or two later. i know you like to mess with folks but give it a rest when it comes to me. you are nothing more than an idiot that goes around attacking people and even their credibility. the mods and titan have told you over and over again to chill. but you just keep proving to them and everyone you are the richard folks think you are. and i do not care if you are mad or not. i could be beating the bushes for more articles instead of doing this clown show with you. go do your impression of a speeding bullet and get the hell out of here with this crap.

Edited by aubiefifty
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

si.com

Auburn football projected to be College Football Playoff contender in 2025

Lance Dawe
3–4 minutes

The Tigers are projected to be in contention for the field once 2025 rolls around.

"I think we'll know when we have the '24 and '25 (recruiting) class, if we're not in that top 10 range they'll probably be firing me in year four or year five."

That's what Auburn head coach Hugh Freeze said to ESPN's Heather Dinich about the trajectory of the Tigers' recruiting underneath his watch.

READ: Hugh Freeze is revitalizing Auburn football's recruiting

"I think everybody knows (Auburn AD John Cohen and president Christopher Roberts) gotta give us a chance to get a couple top classes in here. If we don't do that, and are able to still win, it would be a miracle. How anybody really closes it on those two ... the challenge is tall. The '24 and '25 class are going to be critical."

In Freeze's first season on the Plains, Auburn landed the No. 18 class nationally. It's a starting point for certain but if Auburn is going to rise back to where it was just a few short seasons ago, they'll need recruiting to improve significantly.

Brad Crawford of 247 Sports recently wrote future rankings for college football, detailing how he believes the top 25 will look over the next three seasons.

According to the article, it might be a good idea to invest in Hugh Freeze while the opportunity is still available.

In this upcoming season, Crawford says the Tigers will be a borderline Top 25 team. In 2024, a top 25 team, and in 2025 Hugh Freeze and Auburn will be an expanded college football playoff contender.

The SEC is expected to become more competitive with its expansion, but Auburn's draw may still offer an affordable buy-in price for investors. Freeze has a history of success in the league with Ole Miss and has consistently been able to recruit talented players. Despite this, he has not had the opportunity to showcase his abilities with the resources available at Auburn.

Auburn Undercover's Nathan King sounded off in the article on the revitalization of the program, and what the Tigers' trajectory is heading into 2025:

"Freeze salvaged the Tigers’ 2023 class back into the top 20 nationally, and now the kind of talent Auburn is getting on campus — and is actually a contender for — is more akin to where the program was under Gus Malzahn," King said. "Can Freeze be an even better recruiter than Malzahn? Maybe. He’s made it his No. 1 priority as head coach, and has been steady in his message that the 2024 and 2025 classes are going to shape Auburn’s trajectory as a program heading into a new SEC and an expanded College Football Playoff."

The foundation is being laid for Auburn. Now, as we wade into the offseason, we will be given more answers as to how the next recruiting  class for Hugh Freeze will improve upon what has been started.

Related Stories

• Thanks 1

Fr_m3-AWYAANPcZ.jpg

247sports.com

#PMARSHONAU: After two lost seasons, positive vibe grows around Auburn football

Phillip Marshall
4–5 minutes

Hugh Freeze’s challenge is not new. Coaches at the highest level of college football have faced the same challenge for decades.

New head coaches especially those taking over struggling programs with histories of success, have missions that are in conflict with each other. They want to create excitement among the donors,  the fan base at large, students and their own players. And they want to keep expectations from getting out of control.

11667078.png?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320

Freeze takes over an Auburn program knocked to its knees in the two failed seasons of the failed experiment called Bryan Harsin. He is the first Auburn coach since Shug Jordan in 1951 to take over the Auburn program on the heels of consecutive seasons with losing records.

The vibe around the Auburn program was decidedly negative last fall. Cadillac Williams started the rebirth in four games as interim head coach after Harsin was fired. From the time Freeze was named head coach on Noc.18 hope and optimism have grown steadily.

It started and continues with an all-out recruiting push, but it’s more than that. As Auburn approaches the end of spring practice, there is growing hope and optimism. Freeze knows what life is like in the SEC. He knows signing players who can play and win at that level is where it all starts. And from the day he took the job, he has been driven by that knowledge.

Meanwhile, Freeze is cautious. He welcomes the positive vibe growing his program. He also recognizes that two losing seasons happened for a reason.

“Every place our staff has gone we have been able to create a buzz and excitement fairly quickly around recruiting,” Freeze said. “I certainly didn’t expect Auburn to be any less than that.”

Freeze said he has been so focused on recruiting and on building his first Auburn team that he has been somewhat insulated from the general excitement and optimism that better days are coming.

Ironically, two of Auburn’s greatest seasons came with new coaches. Auburn was 5-5-1 in 1992, Pat Dye’s final season. Terry Bowden went 11-0 in 1993. In 2012, Gene Chizik’s fourth season, Auburn went 3-9, its worst record since going 0-10 in 1950. In 2013, Gus Malzahn took over. Auburn went 12-2, won the SEC championship and played for the national championship.

Bowden took over a team that, despite its record, had a top-five defense in 1992. He added a more imaginative offense to a team built by Dye and won 20 straight games. Malzahn took over a team with far more talent than the misery of 2012 indicated. He added quarterback Nick Marshall, and it took off.

Jordan went 5-5 in his first Auburn season, and that was a rampaging success coming off an 0-10 season. Both Dye and Tuberville went 5-6 in their first seasons. Coming off a 5-7 record in Tuberville’s last season, Chizik went 8-5 in his debut.

Freeze did not inherit a team loaded with talent. He inherited one that had lost 30-plus former signees to the transfer portal. But he has an advantage those coaches didn’t have – the transfer portal and penalty-free movement from one program to another.

Freeze has already mined the transfer portal, but he wants more. He made that clear at his press conference on Monday. Can he get enough help from transfers and help from enough true freshmen to make a move back toward the top of the SEC West? Maybe and maybe not.

7COMMENTS

High expectations make coaches, especially new ones, nervous. But they come right along with the millions of dollars those coaches are paid.

The fair expectation for Freeze’s first season is that the Tigers play with passion, don’t back down and show the program is on an upward trajectory again. The record? With a new staff and a significant number of new players, there are so many unknowns and so many questions. Answers are still months away.

">247Sports

AuburnSports - Riley ready to create chaos

Jay G. Tate AuburnSports Brown stepping up, making notes 1h ago
~3 minutes

Cam Riley didn't hold back when talking about the difference in the culture of the Auburn football program from last year until now. From listening to the linebacker, things are running much more smoothly in every aspect.

"This year, I would say the biggest change was everyone came together," Riley said. "I know you hear that a lot, but I actually kind of feel like everyone actually came together this year. I feel like there was a lot of things going on last year within the team that brought a lot of diversity and things like that, which caused a lot of division. But I felt like everyone actually came together and wants to play as one."

That togetherness, Riley says, has made practice more fun, and, with that, the competition has been more intense. The 6-foot-5 junior enters his fourth straight season with a different position coach (Josh Aldridge) and defensive coordinator (Ron Roberts.) The latter admits to expecting a lot from his linebacker group, which Riley agreed upon.

"We have to be more vocal with lining up the defense and communicating calls and stuff like that," he said. "Linebackers are the quarterbacks of the defense, so we (have) a big job getting the call across the field and making sure everyone in front is lined up properly, the defensive line."

Robert is always known to call more inside blitzes from his linebackers, something Riley is hyped about after recording no sacks last season. The Evergreen, Ala., native also expects to see time on the outside at the Jack position thanks to his length and has been working accordingly to make himself a smaller target for opposing blockers.

"I would say my biggest thing is me working on my pad level and staying low," Riley said. "Because I have a tendency of standing high at times, which can cause problems because sometimes it may cause me to crossover. But with me staying lower, I feel like it'll help me out with me being able to move side to side quicker."

As for the rest of the linebacker room, with the addition of Demario Tolan from LSU and Austin Keys from Ole Miss, along with an improved Wesley Steiner, Riley sees a group that could end up a significant strength for the Tigers this season.

"At this point, we got a lot of older guys in the room, so it kind of helps out—about four veterans we have now, so with three or four of us having SEC experience already, it kind of helps out going into the season and the spring as well, just stacking reps on top of reps with everybody," he said.

• Thanks 1

auburn.rivals.com

AuburnSports - Alston’s ‘got gears in there’

Jay G. Tate AuburnSports Brown stepping up, making notes 1h ago
3–4 minutes

AUBURN | Auburn’s new coaching staff gave its players a clean slate. An opportunity to compete for starting spots regardless of previous experience.

But that doesn’t mean they didn’t enter spring practice with certain expectations. They’ve seen the film. They’ve watched the group go through winter workouts and spent plenty of time with them in meeting rooms.

Some players have defied those expectations over the first four weeks of spring drills including sophomore running back Damari Alston.

“He’s got really good vision. I think he’s learning to be more patient within his running style. And then when he hits it, he’s got a really good gear,” said first-year offensive coordinator Philip Montgomery. “I’ve thought from the start of spring camp, he’s the guy that’s probably surprised me a little bit more out of the running back room than anybody.

“From day one, I thought he had a pretty good feel with what we were trying to do in the run game, with seeing it, setting up blocks and still had that physicality about him. But the speed that he brings, man, he’s got gears in there.”

Alston’s has played so well this spring, he’s even caught the attention of the Tigers’ receiving corps.

“Damari, he’s become a more patient back,” said wideout Camden Brown, who signed with Alston in the 2022 class. “From him coming in from last year to this year, he’s got a little bit more calm. He’s most definitely gotten more shiftier as well. He’ll break two to three runs each day at practice.”

Alston credits his improvement to the work he’s put in during the offseason, setting a goal to become bigger, stronger and faster.

“I’ve been working my tail off to just improve in those areas because I’m playing some big-boy ball in the SEC,” said Alston. “I’m just getting ready for that and I feel like by fall I’ll definitely be ready.”

Alston is competing at one of AU’s strongest and deepest position even with the loss of three-year starter Tank Bigsby. Junior Jarquez Hunter, who has rushed for 1,268 yards and 10 touchdowns in two years, is the heir apparent.

USF transfer Brian Battie joined the group in January and the nation’s No. 2 all-purpose back, Jeremiah Cobb, is expected to enroll at the end of May.

“We know what Jarquez is going to bring and how tough he is and the physicality that he brings and being able to catch the ball out of the backfield and do those things,” said Montgomery. “But I think all of those guys are bringing the same thing to the table and I’ve been really impressed with that room.

“I think they’ve got a chance to have a really special season when we all get it going in the right direction and they’re going to be a vital, vital, vital part of what we are.”

The Tigers will hold their 12th practice of the spring Friday afternoon. The A-Day game is April 8.

auburnwire.usatoday.com

What is the one question that Auburn must answer ahead of the 2023 season?

Taylor Jones

2–3 minutes

Spring practice is winding down on Auburn’s campus, as we are just over a week away from the annual A-Day game.

There have been plenty of positives, as well as a few bewilderments, about Auburn football during the spring period. But head coach Hugh Freeze is confident that he can get the ship turned around ahead of the 2023 season.

Buy Tigers Tickets

As the spring practice period is starting to heat up across the county, one college football analyst took time to examine each SEC program’s biggest question. What is Auburn’s biggest question? Barrett Sallee of CBS Sports would like to know who will be QB1 on the Plains.

Dual-threat weapon Robby Ashford got the majority of the snaps for the Tigers last season after veteran pro-style signal-caller T.J. Finley suffered an injury in Week 3. It’s no secret that first-year coach Hugh Freeze went shopping in the transfer portal during the winter window, but it’s up to the two former starters to impress him between now and the Tigers’ spring game on April (8). Is Auburn’s quarterback on campus? Ashford has some work to do as a passer, and it has been difficult for Finley to stay healthy throughout his career.

Although Freeze has been critical of his current quarterback situation, he says that the unit as a whole has improved over the last week. Ashford and Finley have each gotten reps this spring with the first-team offense, but true freshman Holden Geriner has made an impression on Freeze.

“I thought (Geriner) really stood out all week with his improvement and his play,” Freeze said during a recent media availability. “Not that the others didn’t improve, but I thought his grasp of what we were trying to do, he was impressive with it last week.”

Auburn fans will get their chance to make their own judgments about the quarterback room on Saturday, April 8 when the team takes the field at Jordan-Hare Stadium for the annual A-Day game.

Contact/Follow us @TheAuburnWire on Twitter, and like our page on Facebook to follow ongoing coverage of Auburn news, notes, and opinion. You can also follow Taylor Jones on Twitter @TaylorJones__.

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

quit assuming so much. on slow days i add stat tiger video's and whatever might be interesting. the date just states the articles posted at that time. you are being stupid because some video's were taken on one day but not available  and are   not posted for the public until a day or two later. i know you like to mess with folks but give it a rest when it comes to me. you are nothing more than an idiot that goes around attacking people and even their credibility. the mods and titan have told you over and over again to chill. but you just keep proving to them and everyone you are the richard folks think you are. and i do not care if you are mad or not. i could be beating the bushes for more articles instead of doing this clown show with you. go do your impression of a speeding bullet and get the hell out of here with this crap.

Psycho GIFs | Tenor  

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

Psycho GIFs | Tenor  

pecker lily 

247sports.com

2025 Central WR Daylyn Upshaw 'feels like home' at Auburn

Christian Clemente
~3 minutes

Previous Auburn staffs have struggled to land elite talent and elite receivers from Central-Phenix City (Ala.) despite its close to proximity to the Plains. Justyn Ross, E.J. Williams and Karmello English have all been Auburn targets that have gone elsewhere.

The new Auburn staff, led by Hugh Freeze and Marcus Davis as the new receivers coach, is looking to buck that trend in both the 2024 and 2025 class. Auburn hosted both 2024 5-star wide receiver and 2025 wide receiver Daylyn Upshaw from Central for a visit on Wednesday.

For Upshaw, it was a trip well worth it.

"It was very good," Upshaw said. "I enjoyed watching the practice and I just like the way that Auburn’s throwing the ball very deep and giving the receivers the ability to get open and win one-on-ones."

Just 15 years old and still finishing his sophomore year of high school, Upshaw holds two early offers from two big-time programs: Auburn and Texas.

"Coach Marcus is making a big push on me and I’m loving it," Upshaw said. "That means a lot to me because it shows they believe in me at a very young age."

As a sophomore, Upshaw caught 30 passes for 442 yards and three touchdowns despite playing behind English, Coleman and Jet Wiley — a senior receiver who signed with Air Force. Still, Upshaw found his fair share of targets and started to make his mark in the recruiting process early.

Looking at Auburn, the ability to potentially stay close to home is a big deal.

"Yes sir it’s very close to home, my parents can come see my games and go back home and it feels like home to me," Upshaw said. "I just feel comfortable here. I’ve been on more visits, but this sticks out to me."

Upshaw plans to visit Clemson this weekend. And while he doesn't have a return visit to Auburn locked in, he does have an open invite.

"Coach Davis told me anytime I want to come down here let him know and he can make it happen," Upshaw said.

10COMMENTS

Eventually, Upshaw will take over as WR1 at Central once Coleman graduates and signs with a college. Could he see his friend and teammate choosing Auburn?

"Auburn, if they keep acting how they acting, they’ll eventually get Cam," Upshaw said.

">247Sports
  • Love 1

All eyes on Tigers football program

Auburn Football A-Day

By Briana Jones

Published: Mar. 30, 2023 at 12:10 PM CDT

AUBURN, Ala. (WTVY) - Auburn’s annual A-day game is listed as one of the most important spring games in all of college football.

That’s because there are high expectations for the team’s new coaching staff.

Last season, Auburn gave up nearly 30 points each game and allowed close to 400 yards.

Every single opponent up against the Tigers was able to score in the red zone last season.

It points a lot of fingers toward the Tiger’s new defensive coordinator Ron Roberts.

Subscribe to our News 4 newsletter and receive the latest local news and weather straight to your email every morning. Get instant notifications on top stories from News 4 by downloading our mobile apps.

Copyright 2023 WTVY. All rights reserved.

auburnwire.usatoday.com

Auburn football: Nonconference tilt listed among best matchups of 2023

Taylor Jones

~2 minutes

Auburn football’s 2023 slate features one of the more unique nonconference games in all of college football, which is a Sept. 9 date in Berkeley, California against the California Golden Bears.

Auburn and Cal have never met on the gridiron before, but one college football expert says that this game is worth keeping an eye on.

Buy Tigers Tickets

Grant Hughes of 247Sports recently dropped his picks for the 23 best matchups of the 2023 season, and the early season, nonconference tilt made the cut. Hughes says that Auburn’s quarterback situation could dictate the outcome of the contest.

Cal’s home opener presents one of the most intriguing culture shocks of the season as Auburn makes the long trip out west for its first-ever matchup with the Golden Bears at California Memorial Stadium. As it stands, Auburn has three players vying to be Hugh Freeze’s first starting quarterback at Auburn. Starter Robby Ashford returns after an up-and-down 2022 season, along with junior T.J. Finley and redshirt freshman Holden Geriner. Whoever wins the starting job will look to keep Cal from claiming its first win against an SEC opponent since its 28-20 win over Ole Miss in 2019.

According to records compiled by Winsipedia, Auburn is 10-3 all-time against teams from the Pac 12, with their most recent win coming against Oregon in the 2019 season opener. The Tigers have also claimed wins over Washington, Washington State, Oregon State, Colorado, Arizona, and USC. As for Cal, they are 11-11 all-time against SEC foes.

Contact/Follow us @TheAuburnWire on Twitter, and like our page on Facebook to follow ongoing coverage of Auburn news, notes, and opinion. You can also follow Taylor Jones on Twitter @TaylorJones__.