AU Men's Players Transferring

toddc

WG was on the next round internet show today and he said he’ll have a decision on his future next week when they interview him again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

@Sani-Freeze Most teams 13th scholly player rarely plays no matter the team. Plus Stretch has done everything asked of him & is great for the team culture Brice wants so no need to run him off.

Run him off? He’s a Senior and if it wasn’t for covid we wouldn’t even be having this discussion. Is it really necessary for him to take a covid year to come back as a practice team and culture guy? He’s taking up a scholarship that we could use is what it boils down to imo. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

Run him off? He’s a Senior and if it wasn’t for covid we wouldn’t even be having this discussion. Is it really necessary for him to take a covid year to come back as a practice team and culture guy? He’s taking up a scholarship that we could use is what it boils down to imo. 

@NoALtiger Again he's taking a scholly from someone who likely wouldn't play anyway since nearly every team does not play their 12th & 13th best player so why push out a guy who is very good for team morale & culture for someone else who doesn't play but is an unknown how they would be with team morale & culture.

On 3/29/2023 at 3:31 PM, gr82be said:

Would rather him go out of conference simply for no other reason than he'll have the game of his life when we play Ole Miss next season. 

Don’t bet on it

32 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@NoALtiger Again he's taking a scholly from someone who likely wouldn't play anyway since nearly every team does not play their 12th & 13th best player so why push out a guy who is very good for team morale & culture for someone else who doesn't play but is an unknown how they would be with team morale & culture.

Sorry but that doesn’t make any sense. To use that logic you would have to replace him with another player of his ability. Let’s use our common sense, the goal would be to replace our 12th or 13th best player with a stud transfer player. What if we replaced Stretch with the absolute best transfer player available? Still think that’s an even swap and we are “pushing out” and guy who is a senior anyways? 

• Like 3

I agree it doesn't make any sense. With potential injuries, suspensions, or academic losses I don't see how you can just throw away a scholarship. You're only allowed 13 schollies, so  you sign the best 13 you can get knowing that a couple will probably not pan out. You just don't know which ones will not live up to their potential or maybe just not be a good fit for Auburn.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

On 3/28/2023 at 9:16 PM, ellitor said:

And in a redraft based on what the NBA knows now of him, would be a top 5 overall pick.

I agree 100% on this. The kid is really looking solid and working very hard. It's paid off for him because when Utah's coach gave him an opportunity to start, he showed that he was up to the challenge and hasn't relinquished that starting role since. The Rookie of the Year predictions I saw last week has Kessler 3rd. 

I've also liked Okoro's play lately. He has seemed to start picking it up and hopefully it finally clicked for him. He hit a game winner last week, I believe it was. He will get to experience playoff basketball, NBA style, here soon. Cleveland has a really nice team and they're young too. 

Now we just need Jabari to start knocking down more of these shots for Houston. His shooting % is pretty bad so far but he'll adjust. He has started every game this year and looks the part athletically. He is getting open looks so when they do start falling, I feel that he will be a 20/10 guy. The NBA analysts all love his game and his size is perfect. It has to suck playing for a Houston team that's tanking and in last place. 

5 hours ago, autan said:

I agree it doesn't make any sense. With potential injuries, suspensions, or academic losses I don't see how you can just throw away a scholarship. You're only allowed 13 schollies, so  you sign the best 13 you can get knowing that a couple will probably not pan out. You just don't know which ones will not live up to their potential or maybe just not be a good fit for Auburn.

@autan @NoALtiger It's not throwing away a scholly. It's letting an important part of team culture stay if he wants. Team culture is important to Bruce, especially with some other players not being positive elements to team culture this past season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

@autan @NoALtiger It's not throwing away a scholly. It's letting an important part of team culture stay if he wants. Team culture is important to Bruce, especially with some other players not being positive elements to team culture this past season.

Why Stretch or Lior may stay

• Like 1

NIL changes things. Good players cost money. Really good players cost more money. Including the ones that you already have. Roster management is even harder now. I'd want a 10 man rotation, and I'd focus my money on the top 9 or 10 guys.  For all we know, we may be up against our "salary cap" with fewer players anyway. Stretch isn't hurting anything.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Cardin Drake said:

NIL changes things. Good players cost money. Really good players cost more money. Including the ones that you already have. Roster management is even harder now. I'd want a 10 man rotation, and I'd focus my money on the top 9 or 10 guys.  For all we know, we may be up against our "salary cap" with fewer players anyway. Stretch isn't hurting anything.

I knew I'd hate where this has gone.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

I knew I'd hate where this has gone.

Yep, but at least it's out in the open now.

1 minute ago, icanthearyou said:

A "salary cap" is an excellent idea and, coaches' salaries should be included.  Actually, a spending cap might be a much better idea. 

Either or both of those throws college basketball right back into cheating and under the table payments. You must be a fan of that type of thing.

12 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Either or both of those throws college basketball right back into cheating and under the table payments. You must be a fan of that type of thing.

Perhaps.  I suppose rules are pointless.  You cannot restrain money and power.  That would reflect the reality of our society.

I would say the problem with the old system was allowing the NCAA to have compliance oversight.  Their financial interests prevents them from being an impartial actor.

Edited by icanthearyou
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

I see what you are talking about E.  I think where the disconnect is the importance of having someone instill that culture and responsibility.  It is why Udonis Haslem is still playing with the Heat at age 42.  He isn’t on the court each night playing, but he is incredibly important to the to the team in what he brings off of it.

Edited by abw0004
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, NoALtiger said:

Let’s use our common sense, the goal would be to replace our 12th or 13th best player with a stud transfer player.

This would make sense if we were keeping our other 12 players.  But we aren't.  If we add 5 transfers, then also want to replace Stretch, that would be finding a 6th guy that we would move likely have to put up NIL for to fill the last rosters spot and would compete with playing time or push transfer into a non-playing time roll.  Not all 13 will contribute.

I'd actually prefer some developmental HS guys in those low spots, if they are open.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ellitor said:

That is a different debate for sure. In addition to the locker room culture comment you made which could be a valid point, you said we would simply be pushing him out for a player that would be the 12th or 13th best in the team and wouldn’t be playing anyway and that’s what folks are saying is incredibly flawed logic. 

33 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

This would make sense if we were keeping our other 12 players.  But we aren't.  If we add 5 transfers, then also want to replace Stretch, that would be finding a 6th guy that we would move likely have to put up NIL for to fill the last rosters spot and would compete with playing time or push transfer into a non-playing time roll.  Not all 13 will contribute.

I'd actually prefer some developmental HS guys in those low spots, if they are open.

For the right HS player, yes. 

20 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

Sure, but most likely the 12th or 13th player on scholarship is going to be a non-contributor

• Like 2

Would love to see us grab Cain or Dunn. We really need scorers and second or third scoring options. I love the way FAU has like 3-4 guys that can rotate in and out without missing a beat.

Ware is super talented but there's discussion that he lost his starting spot because of his work ethic. 

https://www.al.com/auburnbasketball/2023/03/where-auburns-2023-24-roster-stands-after-transfers-of-yohan-traore-chance-westry.html

2 hours ago, NoALtiger said:

you said we would simply be pushing him out for a player that would be the 12th or 13th best in the team and wouldn’t be playing anyway and that’s what folks are saying is incredibly flawed logic. 

It's not though. If we have more than 10-11 players on scholly next year, and that's a big if, the worst schollied player or 2 will not play much barring extreme circumstances. It's that way for every team.

2 hours ago, NoALtiger said:

Those guys are harder and harder to find in todats basketball world. For example, as of right now it looks like we will not push to add a HS player to this class.

• Like 1