Three 3rd graders, three adults killed by shooter at Nashville elementary school

TitanTiger

Just now, I_M4_AU said:

What is your prediction as to how long this mass shooting will be attributed to a white male?

I don't have one, but that WOULD be a perfect example of buying into the ideology.

This was a crime committed by a woman.  Full stop.

Just now, I_M4_AU said:

The shorthand seems to even confuse the liberal media:

A squabble over misgendering offered a surreal sideline to the Nashville, Tennessee, Christian school shooting as activists called out news outlets scrambling to keep up with the suspect’s preferred pronouns.

The mainstream media did an about-face after Nashville police said several hours after the attack that the assailant was transgender, with some outlets issuing statements explaining their initial use of female pronouns as gender-identity advocates blasted them for misgendering and deadnaming the shooter.

“5 times @cnn misgendered. No correction. A mass shooting is horrible. Misgendering does not make anything better,” said a much-retweeted post by the “Karen Lopez” account.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2023/mar/28/media-outlets-backpedal-after-misgendering-accusat/

Activist calling out misgendering is an indication of an ideology, is it not?

I think everybody knew this individual was mentally ill without the labels.

Yeah, those folks are also promulgating the ideology.  I just disagree that that's what DKW or TexasTiger were doing.  All they're trying to do is describe the circumstances surrounding the shooter.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

That doesn't excuse the behavior, but focusing on that and not on the fact that she was able to freely buy those two assault weapons is just ridiculous.

I agree with most of your statement.  The fact that she obtained these weapons over a period of time as she and her parents and therapist tried to work out her problems is troubling, no doubt.  The underlying problem is her belief she is in the wrong body and has been since birth is an issue that is germane to her mental health is it not?

2 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

What is your prediction as to how long this mass shooting will be attributed to a white male?

The shorthand seems to even confuse the liberal media:

A squabble over misgendering offered a surreal sideline to the Nashville, Tennessee, Christian school shooting as activists called out news outlets scrambling to keep up with the suspect’s preferred pronouns.

The mainstream media did an about-face after Nashville police said several hours after the attack that the assailant was transgender, with some outlets issuing statements explaining their initial use of female pronouns as gender-identity advocates blasted them for misgendering and deadnaming the shooter.

“5 times @cnn misgendered. No correction. A mass shooting is horrible. Misgendering does not make anything better,” said a much-retweeted post by the “Karen Lopez” account.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2023/mar/28/media-outlets-backpedal-after-misgendering-accusat/

Activist calling out misgendering is an indication of an ideology, is it not?

I think everybody knew this individual was mentally ill without the labels.

The way the term “misgendering” is used would be if he called her a woman and I said, no she’s a man.  He called her a trans woman (biological male) and I pointed out  (without judgement or ridicule) that she apparently identified as a trans man (biological woman).

What’s a bit different about this situation is she signed her “suicide note” “Audrey” with “Aiden” in parentheses. That’s not typical of most trans people. It’s unclear to me based on what’s been presented so far how much her online persona aligned with how she generally presented herself publicly. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TexasTiger said:

The way the term “misgendering” is used would be if he called her a woman and I said, no she’s a man.  He called her a trans woman (biological male) and I pointed out  (without judgement or ridicule) that she apparently identified as a trans man (biological woman).

What’s a bit different about this situation is she signed her “suicide note” “Audrey” with “Aiden” in parentheses. That’s not typical of most trans people. It’s unclear to me based on what’s been presented so far how much her online persona aligned with how she generally presented herself publicly. 

It does appear she had one foot on either side of the issue.  Not fully committed to either.  The manifesto will be an interesting read.

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

Thanks to the Pubbies taking over the House, Biden's plan to hire 87,000 new IRS agents may not come to fruition. However, it not because Biden didn't try. And to the point: If hiring 87,000 new IRS agents is something to be casually accomplished, hiring enough security personnel for schools shouldn't be a problem. The federal budget would hardly notice. https://lamborn.house.gov/media/press-releases/house-republicans-rescind-funding-87000-new-irs-agents

Man you are ignorant as hell.  The perfect MAGA Republican.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/11/politics/republican-irs-funding-87000-agents/index.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2022/03/03/irs-tax-backlog-hiring/

https://www.verifythis.com/article/news/verify/taxes-verify/irs-not-hiring-87k-agents-audit-middle-class-americans-fact-check/536-0981ded4-5c5b-4de9-8db3-eb9bccb2ae7f

• Dislike 1

22 hours ago, CoffeeTiger said:

Conservatives aren't intentionally being "evil" or wanting Children or innocents to die.

But Conservative politics, politicians, and policies are 100% controlled and influenced by the Gun lobby, by weapon manufacturers, by the NRA. And Conservatives 100% block common sense gun reforms and and regulations that could put us as a country back on a path where mass shootings become the rarity they once were. 

Unsurprisingly, conservatives - or at least Republicans - also oppose efforts to regulate or limit the influence of money in our politics.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/9/22/us-republicans-block-bill-seeking-to-end-dark-money-in-politics

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2018/05/08/most-americans-want-to-limit-campaign-spending-say-big-donors-have-greater-political-influence/

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Facepalm 1

On 3/28/2023 at 10:24 AM, arein0 said:

Why would you have to re-write the COTUS? We already put a restriction to prevent former criminals from legally purchasing guns. Why can we not also require a mental health exam, proper gun safety and gun storage classes before you are able to legally buy a gun? Why not require all guns be registered and a crime if your registered gun is used in a crime? We could enact these without rewriting the COTUS. You would still have the 2nd ammendment right, but you would be held accountable for that gun.

SCOTUS would reverse it. We are already required to register hand guns and this perp legally purchased the firearms she had. Once again.......it's not the root cause. This nation refuses to accept responsibility for its own failure of leadership. We have no direction. If you were to draw it up....it would look like a 10 point intersection. 

Edited by autigeremt
  • Like 2
  • Dislike 1

Side note....

When I purchase a firearm I get flagged due to my former status as an employee of DHS, Law Enforcement and the US Army. I could get a fast track permit but it doesn't phase me to wait. I usually have to wait 24hrs. 

Why in the hell can't we flag people undergoing mental health issues? Politicians suck. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

We are already required to register hand guns

In Alabama, really?  I would not have guessed.

• Dislike 1

16 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

Side note....

When I purchase a firearm I get flagged due to my former status as an employee of DHS, Law Enforcement and the US Army. I could get a fast track permit but it doesn't phase me to wait. I usually have to wait 24hrs. 

Why in the hell can't we flag people undergoing mental health issues? Politicians suck. 

I think the issue becomes how that mental health issue gets into the system to begin with.  You'd need to draw up criteria that makes it mandatory to report to law enforcement or the background check system, and have some sort of compliance/penalty mechanism in place for therapists that fail to report.  That's going to run into some opposition and headwinds with health privacy laws and doctor-patient privilege.

Personally, I think there needs to be serious reform on restricting magazine sizes.  The time it takes to reload gives people precious seconds to either flee to safety or to get to the shooter and wrestle them to the ground.  I would also create a tiered system where basic handguns, hunting rifles and shotguns get a normal background check, but higher velocity, rapid fire "assault" style weapons capable of killing a lot of people in a very short window of time because of fire rate, magazine capacity, and so on are subject to higher scrutiny.  Perhaps the minimum age to purchase one is older, maybe a much more thorough background check, more situations/actions/things from one's past can prevent you from purchasing one at all.  And if you do purchase one, you have to prove you have a secure locked container to keep it in that no one in your household has the combination/keys/biometrics to get into if they are under age.

Just a few things off the top of my head.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

YOUR party is just as evil as the next. 

Maybe so, but Democrats generally support limiting the role of money in politics and support more reasonable firearm regulations, both of which are generally supported by a majority of all Americans.

That's simply fact, whereas "evil" is obviously a highly subjective, biased accusation. (It does however reflect the sorry state of mindless polarization in this country.)  :-\

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

Another story to add to the "Both parties are NOT the same" File. 

https://apnews.com/article/pistol-permit-veto-override-north-carolina-b9d0ee55bf658ca72043bd3f706b128f?utm_source=homepage&utm_medium=TopNews&utm_campaign=position_03

RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — North Carolina residents can now buy a handgun without getting a permit from a local sheriff, after the Republican-controlled legislature on Wednesday overrode the Democratic governor’s veto — a first since 2018.

The House voted 71-46 to enact the bill, which eliminates the longstanding permit system requiring sheriffs to perform character evaluations and criminal history checks of pistol applicants. The Senate overrode Gov. Roy Cooper’s veto in a party-line vote on Tuesday.

The permit repeal takes effect immediately. Cooper and Democratic lawmakers warned it allows a greater number of dangerous people to obtain weapons through private sales, which do not require a background check, and limits law enforcement’s ability to prevent them from committing violent crimes.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

Another story to add to the "Both parties are NOT the same" File. 

https://apnews.com/article/pistol-permit-veto-override-north-carolina-b9d0ee55bf658ca72043bd3f706b128f?utm_source=homepage&utm_medium=TopNews&utm_campaign=position_03

RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — North Carolina residents can now buy a handgun without getting a permit from a local sheriff, after the Republican-controlled legislature on Wednesday overrode the Democratic governor’s veto — a first since 2018.

The House voted 71-46 to enact the bill, which eliminates the longstanding permit system requiring sheriffs to perform character evaluations and criminal history checks of pistol applicants. The Senate overrode Gov. Roy Cooper’s veto in a party-line vote on Tuesday.

The permit repeal takes effect immediately. Cooper and Democratic lawmakers warned it allows a greater number of dangerous people to obtain weapons through private sales, which do not require a background check, and limits law enforcement’s ability to prevent them from committing violent crimes.

I didn't know any different.  In Alabama, you never needed a permit to purchase a pistol.  You had to do the federal background check which takes minutes, but the only thing you needed a permit for was for concealed carry.

Of course, Alabama ditched the concealed carry permit requirement starting this year so now you don't even need that.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

I agree with most of your statement.  The fact that she obtained these weapons over a period of time as she and her parents and therapist tried to work out her problems is troubling, no doubt.  The underlying problem is her belief she is in the wrong body and has been since birth is an issue that is germane to her mental health is it not?

The underlying problem really doesn't matter.  There is some underlying issue with every person that makes the decision to do something like this.  We don't know that she believed she was i the wrong body.  All we know is that she reportedly went by a male name in an online profile.  She went by her given name according to her friends, which was Audrey.

The point is, regardless of what someone's issues are, making it difficult for them to acquire those weapons isn't something that we should be debating.  What positive purpose is there for anyone to own those weapons?  An assault weapons ban was in effect for a long period of time.  It is a reasonable restriction and the government has more than adequate justification due to the actual and potential harm they cause society.

They were illegal to purchase in 1995. Did that prohibition mean that gun owners were deprived of their 2nd amendment rights?  Of course not.

There will still be mass shootings and gun crime if that ban is reinstated, but it will reduce the number of fatalities and aid law enforcement in some situations.  Balancing what will be lost and gained, the choice is clear.

Reading through this thread is a bit scary. It is a small example of how divided we are as a country right now. We may soon become the DSA (Divided States of America) just when we need to be united in more ways than one.

No photo description available.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

I didn't know any different.  In Alabama, you never needed a permit to purchase a pistol.  You had to do the federal background check which takes minutes, but the only thing you needed a permit for was for concealed carry.

Of course, Alabama ditched the concealed carry permit requirement starting this year so now you don't even need that.

The phrase "shall not be infringed" is hard to get past SCOTUS. That's why I believe it will take a change to COTUS..

5 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

The phrase "shall not be infringed" is hard to get past SCOTUS. That's why I believe it will take a change to COTUS..

But the same amendment clearly says "well regulated."  Seems to me there's a balance to the issue.  You can't totally (or effectively) render people unable to obtain and bear arms.  But you can have restrictions and regulations...which incidentally we already do.  We don't allow certain kinds of arms to be owned by private citizens.  I don't think it's permissible for a private citizen to own a Patriot missile battery.  Or to obtain C4.  Fully automatic firearms are illegal in most situations.  Even if you could afford it I doubt you're permitted to own a fully operational (including weaponry and ammo/armaments) Abrams-class tank or an F-16 fighter jet.

The issue doesn't appear to be whether or not you can regulate access to certain kinds or classes of weapons.  It's just where we decide to draw the line.

3 hours ago, autigeremt said:

SCOTUS would reverse it. We are already required to register hand guns and this perp legally purchased the firearms she had. Once again.......it's not the root cause. This nation refuses to accept responsibility for its own failure of leadership. We have no direction. If you were to draw it up....it would look like a 10 point intersection. 

We could ban the purchase or sale or conveyance of these type firearms.  They serve no purpose other than to kill people. They aren't a weapon carried for self defense.  There is no real justification for needing one other than to play with on the weekends.  The fact that reducing their numbers won't prevent all gun crimes is not a real reason justifying their availability. 

Some want to pretend that being opposed to these assault weapons makes someone anti 2nd Amendment.  That argument preposterous.  That argument is void of reason and serves only to make the entire nation less safe.  I hate to admit it, but I fully understand why our friends around the world laugh at us & brand us as uncivilized, under educated, wasteful people.  The first question I am asked by people abroad before they visit is whether or not it is safe here?  That is a far cry from the America that the Greatest Generation envisioned when so many died to keep the world from falling to Nazi Germany. 

Unfortunately, we can't seem to put politics aside and do what is best for the country.  We are too busy being told not to like one another and decrying that our neighbors and fellow Americans are somehow evil.  We seem to be simple minded enough to enjoy that fairy tale.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

We have had an assault weapons ban before.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

When this was written, there were no weapons like the ones we are discussing today.  Furthermore, the Constitution is a governing document that is meant to guide.  Amending the constitution is very difficult, but not impossible. 

Historically, we have been forced to rely on the judicial branch to save us from ourselves.  We would have never reached the ideals put forth by the founding of this country but for an active court. 

What is happening is the far right over playing their hand on this issue.  I don't know when it will be or how bad things will get before it happens, but at some point, the backlash will be severe and the result will be far greater restrictions than any proposed.

• Like 1

We have a mental health crisis. Until the country decides to seriously deal with unstable people we're going to continue to see more people commit horrific crimes and violence. Banning guns isn't going to fix our mental health crisis.

I believe a good start would be to create more psychiatric hospitals and insane asylums. We had far fewer mass shootings 50+ years ago because we had facilities to place people in.

19 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

We have a mental health crisis. Until the country decides to seriously deal with unstable people we're going to continue to see more people commit horrific crimes and violence. Banning guns isn't going to fix our mental health crisis.

I believe a good start would be to create more psychiatric hospitals and insane asylums. We had far fewer mass shootings 50+ years ago because we had facilities to place people in.

But frankly, folks that pose their whole family with assault weapons in front of the Christmas tree aren’t exactly the picture of mental health, either.

The first 2:20 is the relevant part concerning *gun violence*.

He is from Louisiana.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

4 hours ago, Son of A Tiger said:

They?

You two better be careful...

1680129495385432m.jpg

• Haha 2