3/25/24 Football articles

aubiefifty

247sports.com

What to expect from WKU transfer Gunner Britton on Auburn's offensive line

Nathan King
3–4 minutes

AUBURN, Alabama — Jeffrey M'ba dealt with an ankle injury late last season and ended up missing Auburn’s Week 12 win over Western Kentucky, so he watched his defensive line unit from the sideline.

But when he went back with his room the following day and reviewed the film, he remembers being blown away by Gunner Britton and the Hiltoppers’ offensive line, saying their performance stacked up with many he saw earlier in the season in the SEC.

“When I watched the game and watched the O-line, I was amazed,” M’ba said this week. “It was one of the best O-lines I think we played.”

A large reason for that — quite literally — was Britton, WKU’s monstrous offensive tackle who ended up transferring to Auburn this offseason. The 6-foot-6, 305-pound Britton quickly settled in this spring as the Tigers’ primary option at right tackle.

And one of his former teammates wasn’t surprised to hear Britton is making a strong impression on his new SEC squad.

“He was like my brother,” now-former Auburn defensive lineman Marcus Bragg, who transferred from Western Kentucky last offseason, said at pro day this week. “... We went head-to-head every day trying to make each other better. He was one of my close friends.”

Even though Bragg joked it’s a “no-brainer” that he won more one-on-one battles in the trenches during their time together at Western Kentucky, the pass-rusher said Britton is a tricky offensive tackle to solve — one whose skill set isn’t predicated just on size and strength.

“He learns from his mistakes,” Bragg said. “Once he sees why he lost, he goes back and corrects it. The next rep, he comes back and you can’t do it again.”

Rated as the No. 6 offensive tackle on the transfer market, Britton started all 14 games for WKU last season — the first six games at right tackle, and the remaining schedule at left.

With 45 career games played, pass protection has been Britton’s calling card. Per Pro Football Focus, he allowed a QB pressure on only 1.7 percent of his snaps last season, good for the fifth-best rate among all FBS tackles.

“I was like, wow,” Bragg said when he saw Britton landed at Auburn. “My brain exploded. That’s just crazy. I wish I could be here with him.”

Two other transfers seem to be in line for starting roles at Auburn, at least three weeks through spring practices, as Dillon Wade (Tulsa) and Avery Jones (East Carolina) have received the bulk of first-team work at left tackle and center, respectively.

Auburn finished its second spring scrimmage Friday evening and will return to action Monday for its 10th practice day. Hugh Freeze’s first spring on the Plains will culminate with the A-Day game April 8 (1 p.m. CST, SEC Network+).

*** Subscribe to Auburn Undercover for the latest news and intel, podcasts, recruiting coverage and more ***

*** Get Auburn news straight to your inbox with the Auburn Undercover newsletter ***

">247Sports
  • Thanks 2

si.com

Auburn Twitter was HYPE to land four-star running back J'Marion "Phat" Burnette

Andrew Stefaniak
~2 minutes

Take a look at what Auburn Twitter had to say about landing J'Marion "Phat" Burnette.

Auburn landed class of 2024 running back J'Marion "Phat" Burnette, which brought a ton of excitement to the Auburn fan base. 

It was a matter of when, not if, with Burnette as it seemed for a long time he wanted to play his college ball on the Plains, but the commitment makes everything official. 

Burnette is a big bruiser of a running back, standing six-foot-one and weighing 210 pounds. No one is stopping this kid in short-yardage situations. 

Burnette is the number 153 player in the class of 2024, according to 247Sports. 

Coach Hugh Freeze is on his way to making a really special class of 2024 class that now is ranked 18th in the nation thanks to four four-star commits. 

The hope and expectation for this class is that it will finish in the top ten when everything is said and done. 

• Like 1

Zion Puckett is becoming a mentor to younger DB’s at Auburn

Published: Mar. 22, 2023, 4:58 p.m.
3–4 minutes

Zion Puckett vs. Mercer

Auburn safety Zion Puckett (10) makes a play on the ball in the first half of the Tigers' season-opening win against Mercer on Saturday, Sept. 3, 2022, in Auburn, Ala. (Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics)Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics

Zion Puckett has witnessed much change since his 2019 arrival at Auburn. He was a freshman during Guz Malzhan’s final season as Tigers’ coach, played through Bryan Harsin’s 19-game tenure, Cadillac Williams as interim coach, and now in his fifth season is here for Hugh Freeze’s first campaign.

Puckett appreciates Freeze’s effort in recruiting and relationship-building skills. He sees Freeze as the right man to lead Auburn toward success.

“I love Coach Freeze,” Puckett said. “I feel like his drive in everything he tells you and everything he brings to the table is something that’s really true. He loves his players, and it’s all about recruiting with us.”

Read More Auburn Football: Rivaldo Fairweather a ‘late bloomer,’ but Auburn has high hopes for the FIU tight end transfer

Tank Bigsby bounces back with blazing 40-yard dash time at Auburn’s pro day

Shedrick Jackson “not done yet” after an unofficial 4.25 40-yard dash at pro day

Puckett had opportunities to leave via the transfer portal or to try his luck with the NFL Draft. He decided to stay at Auburn because he believes the program can return to its winning ways.

“I would say the best thing that I’ve been through is, through the storm, I would say, just going through adversity, overcoming it, not thinking about transferring. I just feel like that helped me a lot with being here and strengthening my faith in God.

Puckett posted 45 tackles, two pass breakups, a quarterback sack, and forced one fumble. He’d like to add some interceptions and help the team create more turnovers without overly focusing on it. He believes the big plays will come if the unit is focused.

“It’s probably not a point of emphasis,” Puckett said. “I think the main thing is assignment, alignment, and executing, and then the plays will fall in your hands. As long as you do your job, the production will go up.”

Despite a losing season in 2022, there was joy for Puckett in watching Cadillac Williams become interim head coach at Auburn. Puckett has ambitions of getting into coaching once his playing career is over. Seeing Williams become the first Black man to coach in the Iron Bowl inspired Puckett’s endeavors.

“I feel like, going down the road, I might be a coach somewhere,” Puckett said. “I feel like I can impact children and also other people around me the right way. I feel like once you see something like that, the first time in history here, I feel like it’s something that gives you a drive because you know it can be done. Once you see something done once, you know everybody else can do it.”

Nubyjas Wilborn covers Alabama Media Group.

If you purchase a product or register for an account through one of the links on our site, we may receive compensation.

• Thanks 1

247sports.com

What to expect from WKU transfer Gunner Britton on Auburn's offensive line

Nathan King
3–4 minutes

AUBURN, Alabama — Jeffrey M'ba dealt with an ankle injury late last season and ended up missing Auburn’s Week 12 win over Western Kentucky, so he watched his defensive line unit from the sideline.

But when he went back with his room the following day and reviewed the film, he remembers being blown away by Gunner Britton and the Hiltoppers’ offensive line, saying their performance stacked up with many he saw earlier in the season in the SEC.

“When I watched the game and watched the O-line, I was amazed,” M’ba said this week. “It was one of the best O-lines I think we played.”

A large reason for that — quite literally — was Britton, WKU’s monstrous offensive tackle who ended up transferring to Auburn this offseason. The 6-foot-6, 305-pound Britton quickly settled in this spring as the Tigers’ primary option at right tackle.

And one of his former teammates wasn’t surprised to hear Britton is making a strong impression on his new SEC squad.

“He was like my brother,” now-former Auburn defensive lineman Marcus Bragg, who transferred from Western Kentucky last offseason, said at pro day this week. “... We went head-to-head every day trying to make each other better. He was one of my close friends.”

Even though Bragg joked it’s a “no-brainer” that he won more one-on-one battles in the trenches during their time together at Western Kentucky, the pass-rusher said Britton is a tricky offensive tackle to solve — one whose skill set isn’t predicated just on size and strength.

“He learns from his mistakes,” Bragg said. “Once he sees why he lost, he goes back and corrects it. The next rep, he comes back and you can’t do it again.”

Rated as the No. 6 offensive tackle on the transfer market, Britton started all 14 games for WKU last season — the first six games at right tackle, and the remaining schedule at left.

With 45 career games played, pass protection has been Britton’s calling card. Per Pro Football Focus, he allowed a QB pressure on only 1.7 percent of his snaps last season, good for the fifth-best rate among all FBS tackles.

“I was like, wow,” Bragg said when he saw Britton landed at Auburn. “My brain exploded. That’s just crazy. I wish I could be here with him.”

Two other transfers seem to be in line for starting roles at Auburn, at least three weeks through spring practices, as Dillon Wade (Tulsa) and Avery Jones (East Carolina) have received the bulk of first-team work at left tackle and center, respectively.

Auburn finished its second spring scrimmage Friday evening and will return to action Monday for its 10th practice day. Hugh Freeze’s first spring on the Plains will culminate with the A-Day game April 8 (1 p.m. CST, SEC Network+).

*** Subscribe to Auburn Undercover for the latest news and intel, podcasts, recruiting coverage and more ***

*** Get Auburn news straight to your inbox with the Auburn Undercover newsletter ***

">247Sports

bleacherreport.com

Ole Miss' Lane Kiffin 'Struggled' with Criticism After Pursuing Auburn HC Job

Paul Kasabian
~3 minutes

March 25, 2023

Mississippi head coach Lane Kiffin before the start of the 2022 TaxAct Texas Bowl football game against Texas Tech Wednesday Dec. 28, 2022, in Houston. (AP Photo/Michael Wyke)

AP Photo/Michael Wyke

Ole Miss football head coach Lane Kiffin told ESPN's Alex Scarborough that he "struggled" with criticism in response to his consideration of Auburn's open head coaching job.

"We screw up all the time," he said. "But when you think you're doing the right thing and then you're really criticized for it -- especially by your own people -- I struggled with that because I feel like I went through a decision-making process that you're supposed to go through.

"I mean, you got to decide. It's your life and your family's life."

Auburn was in the market for a head coach after firing Bryan Harsin on Oct. 31. Kiffin's name swirled in Auburn rumors, to the point where WCBI News Director Jon Sokoloff even tweeted on Nov. 21 that he was leaving. Kiffin denied the rumor one day later.

Ultimately, Kiffin did consider the Auburn move before telling his team the day before the Nov. 25 Egg Bowl against Mississippi State that he was staying in Oxford.

As Scarborough noted, "Kiffin took his time weighing the opportunity."

"And during that time, he didn't make any public statements that he wasn't going anywhere -- a tactic he'd seen backfire with football coaches in the past who wound up going back on their word," Scarborough added.

Eventually, word got out a few days later that Kiffin was staying, per ESPN's Pete Thamel and Chris Low.

Pete Thamel @PeteThamel

Sources: Lane Kiffin's Auburn candidacy had significantly cooled in the last 48 hours. The pull of his family wanting to stay in Oxford had become an obstacle for both sides in Kiffin becoming the next Auburn coach. <a href="https://t.co/X4IO95PqMt">https://t.co/X4IO95PqMt</a>

Auburn eventually hired ex-Liberty (and Ole Miss) head coach Hugh Freeze for its job. Meanwhile, Kiffin signed a massive contract extension to remain at Ole Miss, per Ross Dellenger of Sports Illustrated:

Ross Dellenger @RossDellenger

Lane Kiffin and Ole Miss have officially agreed to his new contract, sources tell <a href="https://twitter.com/SInow?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@SINow</a>.<br><br>The contract is expected to average about $9 million a year in salary and spans six years with a roll-over to seven.

Ole Miss opens the 2023 season on Sept. 2 against Mercer. The Rebels will visit the Tigers on Oct. 21.

• Like 1

auburnwire.usatoday.com

Ranking Freeze-coached QBs by yearly production

Taylor Jones
3–4 minutes

One of the biggest questions surrounding Auburn football as they prepare to begin the first season of the Hugh Freeze era is “how much of an improvement will the quarterbacks show under his direction?”

Auburn has three quarterbacks that are currently going through spring drills: Robby Ashford, T.J. Finley, and Holden Geriner. Ashford and Finley have the most experience, but Geriner has a great arm that will keep him in the mix for the starting job.

Buy Tigers Tickets

In his time as a collegiate head coach, Freeze has developed several great quarterbacks who have thrown for over 3,000 yards in a single season such as Chad Kelly, Bo Wallace, and Ryan Aplin. Could Auburn see that type of production in its’ quarterbacks under Freeze’s watch? It appears that it could happen.

What can Auburn fans expect out of their quarterbacks now that Freeze is over the program? Here’s a look back at Hugh Freeze’s top passers from his time at Arkansas State, Ole Miss, and Liberty.

USATSI_19369344.jpg

Nelson Chenault-USA TODAY Sports

2022 stats

• 1,534 yards
  • 12 TD
  • 9 INT

Best game of the 2022 season

• Threw for 247 yards and 2 TD in a 41-14 win over BYU on Oct. 22

USATSI_15363367.jpg

Douglas DeFelice-USA TODAY Sports

2020 stats

• 2,250 yards
  • 20 TD
  • 6 INT

Best game of the 2020 season: 

• Threw for 345 yards and 6 TD in Liberty’s 56-35 win over Southern Miss on Oct. 24

USATSI_9640752.jpg

Matt Bush-USA TODAY Sports

2016 stats

• 2,758 yards
  • 19 TD
  • 8 INT

Best game of the 2016 season

• Passed for 465 yards, 3 TD, and an INT in Ole Miss’ 40-29 loss to Auburn on Oct. 29

USATSI_17381077.jpg

Robert McDuffie-USA TODAY Sports

2021 stats

• 2,857 yards
  • 27 TD
  • 12 INT

Best game of the 2021 season

• Threw for 307 yards and 4 TD in Liberty’s 62-17 win over UMass on Oct. 30

USATSI_6717530.jpg

Beth Hall-USA TODAY Sports

2012 stats

• 2,994 yards
  • 22 TD
  • 17 INT

Best game of the 2012 season

• Passed for 403 yards and a TD in Ole Miss’ 27-26 loss to Vanderbilt on Nov. 10

USATSI_8111095.jpg

Spruce Derden-USA TODAY Sports

2014 stats

• 3,194 yards
  • 22 TD
  • 14 INT

Best game of the 2014 season

• Passed for 387 yards, 4 TD, and 3 INT in Ole Miss’ 35-13 win over Boise State on Aug. 28

USATSI_7461194.jpg

John David Mercer-USA TODAY Sports

2013 stats

• 3,346 yards
  • 18 TD
  • 10 INT

Best game of the 2013 season

• Threw for 416 yards, 3 TD, and 2 INT in Ole Miss’ 34-24 win over Arkansas on Nov. 9

USATSI_6913968.jpg

Crystal LoGiudice-USA TODAY Sports

2011 stats

• 3,588 yards
  • 19 TD
  • 6 INT

Best game of the 2011 season

• Passed for 396 yards and a TD in Arkansas State’s 26-22 win over Western Kentucky on Oct. 1.

USATSI_13824058.jpg

Reinhold Matay-USA TODAY Sports

2019 stats

• 3,663 yards
  • 28 TD
  • 7 INT

Best game of the 2019 season

• Threw for 351 yards and 5 TD in Liberty’s 59-44 win over Maine on Oct. 19

USATSI_8851207.jpg

Justin Ford-USA TODAY Sports

2015 stats

• 4,042 yards
  • 31 TD
  • 13 INT

Best game of the 2015 season

• Threw for 384 yards, 3 TD, and INT in Ole Miss’ 52-3 win over New Mexico State on Oct. 10.
  • Thanks 1

• Like 1

There is very little out there on fridays scrimmage other than VIP articles. i guess they are watching tape before they talk about the scrimmage? i have no idea but i will post stuff when it comes out.

• Thanks 2

• Like 1