3/21/23 Football Articles

aubiefifty

• Thanks 1

Hugh Freeze listed Auburn football's leaders so far in spring camp

Zac Blackerby
3–4 minutes

Auburn needed leaders to step up this offseason.

Hugh Freeze's new culture had to start with leaders in the locker room. A new wave of accountability has hit the Auburn football program and with the departure of veteran guys like Derick Hall, Colby Wooden, Owen Pappoe, and Nick Brahms, several leadership roles are open.

During Freeze's first spring, it looks like they are starting to get filled. I asked Freeze which players have stepped up as leaders, he gave a list of three players and a position group.

Tate Johnson. Jayson Jones. Elijah McAllister. All of the tight ends.

Let's look at each of these players and how they have shown leadership in different ways.

Tate Johnson

This coaching staff sent a message to the entire team when Freeze arrived saying that every position was open for competition. Despite many people, myself included, counting him out, he has responded and won the attention and respect of his head coach. After bringing in veteran center Avery Jones, Johnson changed to guard after starting at center for Auburn last season and has made the coaching staff want to keep him on the field.

Freeze announced on Monday that Johnson will more than likely miss the remainder of spring due to an elbow injury.

Jayson Jones

From everything I've heard, Jones has been a very vocal leader in the locker room and holding people accountable in the weight room as they prepare for the season. His offseason work has caught the eyes of members of the staff and his teammates. Despite bringing in several skilled defensive linemen, Jones is still starting for the Tigers.

Elijah McAllister

A veteran player in the SEC from Vanderbilt, Freeze spoke highly of McAllister when asked about the JACK position. The coaching staff loves his character and how he impacts the locker room.

The tight ends room

Adding a guy like Rivaldo Fairweather certainly makes the case for leading by example and production as the transfer offensive weapon makes it impossible to look away from when he is running routes. Guys like Luke Deal and Tyler Fromm offer solid depth to the tight end room but Freeze likes the unit for more than just on-field production.

"I think that's a strong group for us," Freeze said. "Not only as players but as culture guys."

Freeze and the Auburn Tigers will be the first to share that they have a long way to go but when it comes to who will lead Auburn there, it starts with these guys. Perhaps the roster will agree with their head coach when they vote on leadership after the spring.

"We will start developing our culture council shortly after spring ball and I'll be curious to see what the team says," Freeze said. "I'll let them vote on that after us having a good spring. 

Engage with Auburn Daily on Socials!

• Thanks 2

Freeze warning: Auburn needs improved play from quarterbacks

Mark Murphy
3–4 minutes

AUBURN, Alabama–With the Tigers into the third week of spring football practice, Coach Hugh Freeze made it clear on Monday that he is not pleased with the progress of Auburn’s quarterbacks. Freeze said he wants to see better play from Robby Ashford, T.J. Finley and Holden Geriner.

“They are very coachable,” Freeze said. “It is very new what we are asking them to do. Truthfully, I wish we were further along after watching Friday’s tape, but it is certainly not from a lack of want-to and I am not even sure it is a lack of can-do.

“I think we have to coach it better,” he said. “Hopefully, we will see a turn towards a better understanding of what we are trying to do this week.

“Again, I have been very encouraged by their willingness to listen and to be coached,” Freeze said. “We met a good while yesterday (Sunday), just me making sure we are all saying the same things about what we are wanting to do whether it is our RPO (run/pass option) offense or our progressions and reads so, hopefully, we can coach it a little better this week.

“Practice seven, eight and nine this week, hopefully, we elevate the play there,” Freeze said. The Tigers will get 15 total days of spring practices, including the annual A-Day contest on April 13th. The first major scrimmage is scheduled for this Friday with SEC officials at the session.

Freeze said the Tigers will be installing offense before Friday’s scrimmage. “We have a lot of work to do before we get to that point,” he noted.

11683214.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320 T.J. Finley prepares to throw a pass in Monday's practice. (Photo: Jason Caldwell, 247Sports)

Ashford finished the 2022 season as the starting quarterback. Earlier in the season Finley was No. 1 on the depth chart prior to being injured. Geriner played just briefly last fall as a true freshman and redshirted. Those are the only three quarterbacks on the spring roster.

Freeze said there is nothing wrong with the attitude or work ethic of the QBs, but added, "I don't like the inconsistencies that I have continued to see through six (practices). I think part of that is on us, the staff, to get fixed. I have challenged myself and the quarterback to get some this fixed, the inconsistencies." He said he doesn't want the QB issues to be because of being indecisive or a lack of understanding when they need to be do. "Hopefully, by the end of the week we will see it being more consistent."

Looking at the passing game as a whole, Auburn’s new head coach said, “The two positions that stand out to me right now where we just have a long way to go are the quarterback room and the wide receiver room. I am not saying we have arrived at other spots. Those are the farthest off because they are probably–because, truthfully, we ask them to do the most and it is brand new to them.

17COMMENTS

“Which RPO should be run based on what coverage I see? How do I properly get off the technique the DB is playing. We are very, very raw at that right now.”

*** Subscribe: Receive the latest Auburn intel and scoops***

">247Sports
  • Thanks 1

Back in the SEC, Hugh Freeze aims to make Auburn relevant again, upend Alabama in Year 1

With the Bryan Harsin era in the rearview mirror, the Tigers feel optimistic with Freeze at the helm

By Barrett Sallee

18 hrs ago • 4 min read

USATSI

Hugh Freeze has been searching for a second chance to coach in the SEC ever since he resigned from Ole Miss in the summer of 2017 amid a personal conduct scandal. Auburn gave him that chance last November when it hired Freeze following the two-year failed Bryan Harsin experiment. Freeze is more than halfway through his inaugural spring practice session, laying the foundation for what Tiger fans hope is an immediate turnaround.

For Freeze, that turnaround must include wins over rival Alabama. Freeze led the Rebels to back-to-back wins over the Crimson Tide in 2014 and 2015 despite having rosters that didn't match their depth and overall talent. Auburn hasn't topped Alabama since 2019, and optimism that Freeze can break that streak was undoubtedly part of the reason the former Liberty coach was so attractive. 

Let's catch up on Auburn's progress, and what needs to be done prior to the spring game on April 8 to set the tone for the remainder of the offseason.

Offseason changes

The head coaching change drew headlines, but the Tigers' two new coordinators also turned heads. Former Tulsa head coach Philip Montgomery has taken over the offense, and ex-Baylor defensive coordinator Ron Roberts will call the plays for the defense. 

Montgomery cut his teeth under the famed Art Briles offense, and his play-calling prowess has never been in doubt. The Bears finished finished tops in the Big 12 in total offense over each of Montgomery's last four seasons in Waco from 2011-14 -- and led the nation during the final two seasons. That up-tempo, wide-open offense fits perfectly with what Freeze ran at Liberty and Ole Miss. 

Roberts' 2021 defense in Waco led the conference and finished seventh in the nation in turnovers gained with 27. That played a big part in the Bears' run to the Big 12 Championship Game, which culminated with a win over Oklahoma State. 

Names to know

Robby Ashford, quarterback: You probably already know the name since Ashford started the majority of Auburn's games last season, but his second year on the Plains becomes more compelling with Freeze's arrival. Freeze made passing stars out of Bo Wallace and Chad Kelly in Oxford, and Ashford's 1,613 yards and seven passing touchdowns give Freeze at least a little hope that he can mold the speedster into enough of a passer to make him dangerous behind center. It's not like Ashford has to be Tom Brady out there. All Freeze needs to do is find a few things that Ashford does well as a passer, and that'll go a long way toward complementing his running prowess; his 709 yards and seven touchdowns last year were good for second on the team. 

Brian Battie, running back: Tank Bigsby is gone and Jarquez Hunter will likely ascend to the top spot on the depth chart, but Battie might be the most interesting offensive player on the roster in 2023. He rushed for 1,186 yards and eight touchdowns last year for USF and added 659 yards on kickoff returns. If Hunter is Batman, expect Battie to serve the Robin role. He can become Auburn's version of a Swiss Army Knife. 

Marcus Harris, defensive lineman: It seems like Harris has been around forever, but he has never been asked to be the true leader of the Tigers defensive line. That has changed after Auburn lost multiple starters to the NFL. Harris, a 6-foot-3, 294-pound senior, has the strength to be a force in the middle, which will be huge for an overhauled defensive line that includes four new players out of the transfer portal.

Spring outlook

Auburn has kept things under wraps for the majority of spring practice, so it's difficult to gauge how things are really going. When Freeze opens the doors for its spring game next month, however, don't focus too much on results -- especially on offense. Take a peek at what Freeze specifically asks of his offense, because that will give you an idea of what he feels could be the identity of this year's team. 

There's no doubt that the rushing attack will benefit if Ashford retains the starting job. However, T.J. Finley is still lurking around, hoping to take back the spot he lost last season. He's more of a pocket passer, so his case to regain the top spot on the depth chart relies heavily on Freeze's ability to develop playmakers outside who simply didn't exist last season.

More than anything, this spring has provided -- and will continue to provide -- hope for the future. Auburn became stale under Harsin, but interim coach Carnell Williams generated hope when he took over during the final month of the season. With Freeze leading the way and Williams on staff, the future of Auburn football just needs a glimmer of hope. That seems to be shining bright so far.

• Thanks 2

theplainsman.com

McGriff adding valuable experience to Auburn defense - The Auburn Plainsman

6–7 minutes

Wesley McGriff was announced last December as Auburn’s next secondary and cornerbacks coach. McGriff brings decades of experience to the team, coaching over 10 teams. 

“It’s been really fun to be around the guys on the grass and share this thing with Zac (Etheridge) and us doing it together,” McGriff said. “Man, I’m looking forward to the remainder of the spring and looking forward to the season.” 

This isn’t McGriff’s first time coaching on the Plains. He coached in 2016, where Auburn’s pass defense ranked 67th, allowing 229.2 yards per game, seventh in scoring defense (17.1 points per game) and 11th in red zone defense (74.4%). Then, he returned in 2019 to work under Kevin Steele. The Tigers’ defense ranked 30th nationally in third down defense (34.7%) and red zone defense (71.8%). 

This past season, McGriff coached for Louisville. During that time, Louisville was nationally ranked 34th in pass defense, allowing 206.5 yards per game, and was ranked 35th among FBS teams in third down defense with 34.6%. The Cardinals ranked 10th in red zone defense with 73.8% and 14th in red zone touchdown defense with 47.6%. 

McGriff mentioned three goals he has for the offseason. The first is to keep the ball in front of the defense and then take it away. The second is to try and minimize small mistakes made on the field and the third is to make minor adjustments throughout the game. 

“If you can take away the vertical game, you can stop the deep ball and get the ball in your hands. The second biggest thing we talk about is minimizing and eliminating minimal mistakes," McGriff said. "If you can play this game with less minimal mistakes, you’re gonna come out on top. One of the last goals that we talked about is making adjustments during the game. Players have to problem solve and that leads to communication, being on the same page and having the confidence.”

McGriff emphasized the importance of communication between the secondaries. The goal line remains protected when the players are on the same page. 

“We defend the second most precious thing in the game. The OL (offensive line) got to defend the quarterback, and we got to defend the goal line. If anything gets behind us on the ground in there, that could be the game, the season or somebody’s career,” McGriff said. “That’s why we meet together a lot because we have to be on the same page. The communication between the corner, safety and nickel has to start in the meeting room.”

McGriff recognized junior Keionte Scott as a guy who can make a big impact on the field. Over the offseason, Scott has shown his maturity in the meeting room and on the field with determination to be a dynamic player. 

“My time has been very brief, but I see a dynamic player. I see a guy who can impact the game. I see a guy that has the tools to play at a high level. I see a guy who loves football,” McGriff said. “I mean, when he comes to work every day, he’s prepared. He’s got his notebook and got something to write with. He’s a serious-minded individual.” 

A lot of Auburn’s corners are veterans, but many young players are showcasing their ability to make an impact on the field. Freshman Kayin Lee has made an impression on McGriff already. 

“Kayin Lee has done a great job. You gotta think that this guy’s supposed to get ready to go to the prom, but he’s in spring ball making plays,” McGriff said. “We know he has the physical tools, but just off the field, he will not leave the building if he doesn’t understand the coverage. I mean, he’d knock on the door and say, ‘hey coach, I don’t understand this coverage,’ and he has his notebook, and as soon as he sits down, he pulls it out and takes notes."

McGriff and Zac Etheridge work closely together, and McGriff spoke highly of Etheridge’s coaching ability and integrity. 

“Zac is going to be an outstanding football coach. You will refer to him as a young coach, but that guy has a lot of wisdom," McGriff said. "We do a lot of things together, and you will just be surprised if you were in a meeting with him, his football IQ. I’m excited about going on this ride with him, but I’m more excited about watching his career down the road. He’s gonna be a rockstar. He’s gonna be a household name because he’s smart."

With many new additions and returning coaches and athletes, Auburn hopes to have a promising future, and McGriff shared his plans to stay on the Plains. 

“I’m never leaving. This is home," McGriff said. "Now, did I ever think I would come back here to coach? I was hopeful for that, but man, when you have an opportunity to come to a place like Auburn, when you get that phone call, it’s a very short conversation.”

Enjoy what you're reading? Get content from The Auburn Plainsman delivered to your inbox

Do you like this story? The Plainsman doesn't accept money from tuition or student fees, and we don't charge a subscription fee. But you can donate to support The Plainsman.

Caitlyn Griffin | Sports Writer

Caitlyn Griffin is a freshman from Huntsville, Ala. majoring in journalism. She started with The Plainsman in fall 2022. 

Twitter: @caitlyngrif99

• Love 2

auburntigers.com

Hugh Freeze welcomes Auburn Football Lettermen: 'We owe them a debt of gratitude'

Auburn University Athletics
7–8 minutes

AUBURN, Ala.  Buddy McClinton remembers when Auburn's football operations moved into brand new Memorial Coliseum, before it bore the names of Jeff Beard and Joel Eaves, in the spring of 1969.

"We came into the coliseum when it was brand spanking new," recalled McClinton, who starred in the secondary for the Tigers from 1967-69 and remains the program's career interceptions leader more than a half century later. "We thought we'd died and gone to heaven, and you can put that inside this facility."

McClinton joined approximately 200 fellow members of the Auburn Football Lettermen Club Friday, watching the Tigers practice and touring the Woltosz Football Performance Center.

"It is just unbelievable," said McClinton, whose grandson, Mac McClinton, is a sophomore defensive back. "It is spectacular. Everything about it is first class. What a great recruiting tool."

AUBURN, AL - March 17, 2023 - Jason Campbell during spring practice inside the Creel Family Player Development Lab at the Woltosz Football Performance Center in Auburn, AL.Photo by Austin Perryman2004 SEC Player of the Year Jason Campbell attended the Auburn Football Lettermen Club event

First-year head coach Hugh Freeze is putting that recruiting tool to excellent use, welcoming prospective student-athletes on unofficial visits during spring practice and connecting with former players ranging from the Shug Jordan era to the 2020s.

"They laid the groundwork for all the great Auburn tradition that we have for the football program," Freeze said. "The belief that this can be one of the elite programs is based on what the former players have proven in that stadium can be done.

"We owe them a debt of gratitude for laying the groundwork for all the wonderful things we have now. It doesn't happen without someone before you having great success. It was good to have them out today."

"Coach Freeze was so gracious with his time," said McClinton, a 1969 All-American. "I'm seeing guys I haven't seen in so many years. It's a great turnout and everybody is really excited about the coaching staff."

AUBURN, AL - March 17, 2023 - Justin Garrett during spring practice inside the Creel Family Player Development Lab at the Woltosz Football Performance Center in Auburn, AL.Photo by Austin PerrymanAuburn Football Lettermen Club president Justin Garrett: 'We want to support the next generation'

Justin Garrett, who played linebacker for Auburn from 2011-15, serves as president of the AFLC.

"Take a look at the turnout," Garrett said, motioning to the sidelines and end zone filled with former players. "I haven't seen anything like this since I played at Auburn. Everybody's excited for the upcoming season, supporting Hugh Freeze and what he's going to do with the football program. We want to support the next generation of athletes coming up."

As Jarquez Hunter raced for a touchdown during Friday's scrimmage, Liston Eddins, who played for Jordan from 1973-75 and whose sons Bret and Bart helped Auburn win Southeastern Conference championships in 2004 and 2010, respectively, recalled once seeing SEC legends four decades earlier at the same location, back when it was the site of Auburn's track.

Bo Jackson vs. Herschel Walker in a 100-meter dash.

AUBURN, AL - March 17, 2023 - Corey Grant and Kerryon Johnson during spring practice inside the Creel Family Player Development Lab at the Woltosz Football Performance Center in Auburn, AL.Photo by Austin PerrymanFormer Auburn running backs Corey Grant (l) and Kerryon Johnson

Another legendary SEC rusher, 2017 SEC player of the year Kerryon Johnson, appreciated the new facility's design and offerings.

"When you're able to centralize everything that one sport needs, it eliminates excuses and allows you to focus on the task," said Johnson, recalling the motivation he felt as a player when lettermen attended practice. "You see people who played years ago who still want to come back and have an interest in you, you say, 'I want to leave a legacy when I'm done playing.'"

"It's fun to come here and have a little reunion, talk over some old stories and get to know Coach Freeze," said Daniel Carlson, Auburn's all-time scoring leader and an All-Pro kicker for the Las Vegas Raiders. "It's awesome that he's doing this. This staff and this school really does value the family environment."

AUBURN, AL - March 17, 2023 - Daniel Carlson during spring practice inside the Creel Family Player Development Lab at the Woltosz Football Performance Center in Auburn, AL.Photo by Austin PerrymanAll-Pro kicker Daniel Carlson, Auburn's all-time scoring leader, brought his family to practice

"Coach Freeze re-energized the program," said Johnson, who lettered for the Tigers from 2015-17. "That's the starting point. He brings that pride back, he brings that energy. That's half the battle right there."

For three Auburn football lettermen, Friday's event was not their first time to tour the Woltosz Football Performance Center.

Assistant coaches Carnell Williams, Marcus Davis and Zac Etheridge enter it every morning when they come to work.

"It's good for our guys to see that they have a lot of support outside the program from the guys who laid the foundation and helped build this new facility," said Etheridge, who captained Auburn's 2010 national champion team and serves as secondary coach. "It's always exciting to have them back."

AUBURN, AL - March 17, 2023 - Auburn Head Coach Hugh Freeze speaks to the Lettermen Club during spring practice inside the Creel Family Player Development Lab at the Woltosz Football Performance Center in Auburn, AL.Photo by Austin PerrymanAuburn coach Hugh Freeze with letterman Spence McCracken (1969-71)

Jeff Shearer is a Senior Writer at AuburnTigers.com. Follow him on Twitter: @jeff_shearer

Players Mentioned

Jarquez Hunter

#27 Jarquez Hunter

RB 5' 10" Junior Agriculture

Mac McClinton

#47 Mac McClinton

S 5' 8" Redshirt Freshman Architecture, Design & Construction
  • Love 2

Eyeing NFL comeback, Cam Newton will throw at Auburn’s pro day

Updated: Mar. 20, 2023, 7:55 p.m.|Published: Mar. 20, 2023, 7:37 p.m.
3–4 minutes

Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton

Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton runs onto the field before an NFL football game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers Sunday, Dec. 26, 2021, in Charlotte, N.C. (AP Photo/Rusty Jones)AP

One of Auburn’s all-time greats will be back on the Plains for the Tigers’ pro day, looking to prove himself once again.

Cam Newton, the 2010 Hesiman winner and national champion quarterback, announced Monday evening that he will be throwing at Auburn’s pro day on Tuesday as he eyes an NFL comeback. Auburn teased Newton’s participation on Twitter on Monday evening, unveiling a personalized pro day outfit for the former NFL MVP, and Newton then confirmed his decision with a video posted to social media.

Read more Auburn football: Observations from Day 7 of Auburn spring practice

Everything Hugh Freeze said about Auburn’s QBs, first spring scrimmage

Keionte Scott putting “dynamic” playmaking on display so far this spring

“Tell me how these randoms keep getting jobs,” Newton said in the video. “Don’t worry, I’m gonna show you. I can’t wait to show you. I love it. I love it. I’ve seen a lot of people toying with the idea, and it’s official: I will be throwing at Auburn’s pro day Tuesday. Ain’t 32 mother-[expletive] better than me.”

Newton will throw in front of NFL scouts at the Tigers’ pro day, which is set to begin around 12:30 p.m. Tuesday. The video included clips of Newton throwing routes to his younger brother Caylin Newton, who started his career as a quarterback at Howard before transferring to Auburn to play wide receiver and ultimately finishing his career at Williams & Mary last season.

The older Newton, who led Auburn to the BCS National Championship in his lone season on the Plains, spent 11 seasons in the NFL after being drafted No. 1 overall by the Carolina Panthers in the 2011 NFL Draft. He led Carolina to a Super Bowl appearance in 2015, when the franchise went 15-1 during the regular season and Newton took home league MVP. The Panthers released Newton ahead of the 2020 season, and he then signed with the New England Patriots. Newton spent one season in New England and started 15 games for the Patriots -- going 7-8 as a starter -- before the franchise released him the following year.

Newton made a return to Carolina in 2021 and started five games for the Panthers but was not re-signed by the team in free agency. Newton did not sign with a team last offseason, and his last on-field appearance came in Carolina’s regular-season finale at Tampa Bay on Jan. 9, 2022.

In his 11 NFL seasons, Newton appeared in 148 games and made 144 starts while completing 59.9 percent of his passes for 32,382 yards, 194 touchdowns and 123 interceptions. He also has 5,628 career rushing yards and 75 touchdowns while averaging 5 yards per carry. His 75 rushing touchdowns are the most by a quarterback in NFL history.

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

al.com

Observations from Day 7 of Auburn spring football practice

Published: Mar. 20, 2023, 5:26 p.m.

6–7 minutes

Auburn returned to the practice field Monday afternoon to kick off Week 3 of spring football. It was the seventh practice overall for the Tigers under first-year head coach Hugh Freeze, as well as the team’s first day back on the field after a light situational scrimmage on Friday.

After Freeze met with the local media for his weekly press conference, reporters were afforded a viewing window that lasted nearly 50 minutes at the start of practice. We got to watch four periods of practice during that window. Here’s a rundown of everything we saw during Monday’s session:

Read more Auburn football: Everything Hugh Freeze said about Auburn’s QBs, first spring scrimmage

Keionte Scott putting “dynamic” playmaking on display so far this spring

Auburn confident Jeremiah Wright can be one of SEC’s “dominant” offensive linemen

-- Freeze noted Monday that Auburn will be without two offensive contributors for the remainder of spring due to injury, while a handful of other players are dealing with minor nicks (less-serious hamstring issues and ankle injuries). The two players Auburn will be without: wide receiver Malcolm Johnson Jr., who injured his right collarbone and is expected out until June, and offensive lineman Tate Johnson, who dislocated his elbow. Both players were in attendance Monday, with Malcolm Johnson Jr. sporting a sling on his right shoulder and off to the side. Tate Johnson was in uniform and participated in stretch at the start of the viewing window but was otherwise sidelined.

-- Jeremiah Wright is still in a yellow non-contact jersey but was participating in practice. Auburn asks that players in non-contact jerseys not be identified, but the team has made available photos this spring of Wright in the yellow jersey, so it’s fair game.

-- Period 3 of practice included pace for the offensive units, lasting three rounds. Here’s what the lineup looked like for each round:

-- First unit: Robby Ashford at quarterback, with Jarquez Hunter in the backfield. The offensive line included Tulsa transfer Dillon Wade at left tackle, freshman Connor Lew at left guard, ECU transfer Avery Jones at center, Jeremiah Wright at right guard and WKU transfer Gunner Britton at right tackle. FIU transfer Rivaldo Fairweather was at tight end, while Auburn rotated a few guys at wide receiver: Nick Mardner on the outside, while Koy Moore, Tar’Varish Dawson Jr. and Ja’Varrius Johnson all got reps as well. The most notable development here is Lew, a true freshman early enrollee, working with the top unit.

-- Second unit: T.J. Finley at QB, with Damari Alston at RB. The offensive line had Garner Langlo at left tackle, Colby Smith at left guard, Jalil Irvin at center, E.J. Harris at right guard and Izavion Miller at right tackle. Landen King split out wide at wide receiver, while Auburn went to a two-tight end set with this group: Tyler Fromm and Luke Deal.

-- Third unit: Holden Geriner at QB, with Sean Jackson at RB. Offensive line: walk-on Evan Richards at left tackle, freshman Bradyn Joiner at left guard, Cort Bradley at center, Kam Stutts at right guard and freshman Clay Wedin at right tackle. Brandon Frazier was at tight end, with a trio of walk-ons at wide receiver: Colby Stafford, Jake Kruse and Jackson Billings.

-- During pace it was apparent why Freeze said Monday that wide receiver is one of the positions that needs to make the most progress this spring and isn’t where it needs to be, as Auburn had to rely on some walk-ons with the second and third groups. Omari Kelly and Jay Fair went through some early reps at the onset of the viewing period with T.J. Finley at quarterback in a drill but did not take part in pace.

-- During a light special teams period earlier in the viewing window, Auburn’s punt coverage got beat on a non-contact return by a walk-on wide receiver, Stafford.

-- Some names rotating at the star/nickel position during individual position drills: Donovan Kaufman, Keionte Scott, Caleb Wooden and Zion Puckett.

-- Working at safety during this period: Jaylin Simpson, Marquise Gilbert, Craig McDonald, Austin Ausberry.

-- Nehemiah Pritchett and freshman Kayin Lee were the top two corners working with Wesley McGriff during individual drills. McGriff has had high praise for Lee, a former four-star recruit who flipped from Ohio State, so far this spring.

-- Two of the rotations at linebacker saw Wesley Steiner and Austin Keys working in tandem, followed by Cam Riley and Robert Woodyard Jr.

-- Freeze spoke Monday about Auburn’s need to recruit more depth at the jack/edge spot on defense, because that unit isn’t as deep or as effective as it needs to be yet. That’s to be expected after losing both Derick Hall and Eku Leota. Working at jack right now are Vanderbilt transfer Elijah McAllister, true freshman Keldric Faulk, Dylan Brooks, freshman Brenton Williams and walk-on Hayden Brice. Freeze had some praise for Faulk, whose size (6-foot-6 and 275 pounds) is noticeable out on the field, adding that he expects the four-star freshman to play early.

-- Got to the defensive line at the very end of the viewing window while working my way around the two practice fields. Jeremy Garrett was working with a three-man front that included Jeffrey M’ba, Purdue transfer Lawrence Johnson and Maryland transfer Mosiah Nasili-Kite. That, of course, wasn’t the only group that repped up front during individual period, but it’s the only one I saw at the very end. Freeze earlier Monday spoke highly of Kentucky transfer Justin Rogers, who he said is a “handful” at nose tackle and the type of guy who will require double-teams from opposing offenses.

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

al.com

Auburn ‘deficient in true pass-rushers,’ but a freshman has Hugh Freeze excited

Published: Mar. 21, 2023, 7:05 a.m.
4–5 minutes

AUBURN, AL - 2023.03.15 - Spring Practice

AUBURN, AL - March 15, 2023 - Auburn Jack Linebacker Elijah McAllister (#11) during spring practice at the Woltosz Football Performance Center in Auburn, AL. Photo by Austin PerrymanAuburn University Athletics

Derick Hall will be back on the field of Auburn’s indoor practice facility on Tuesday, but unfortunately for Hugh Freeze, it will only be for the Tigers’ pro day.

As Auburn’s third week of spring practice got underway Monday, Freeze yearned for the opportunity to have a guy like Hall coming off the edge for the Tigers this spring. Hall was a two-time All-SEC selection on the Plains and was one of the league’s most productive pass-rushers the last two seasons, totaling 15.5 sacks and 24 tackles for loss.

His presence has been sorely missed for Auburn this spring at its Jack position, which Freeze said Monday is still a work in progress as the Tigers try to replace Hall and fellow edge Eku Leota.

“We need to recruit more,” Freeze said of the position. “We’re not where we need to be in rushing the passer. We certainly will improve our guys, but we’ve got to get better at that spot, for sure. At all sports, but we’ve got to get better. We’re deficient in true pass-rushers currently.”

Auburn returns just one scholarship player at that position from last season’s team: 2021 signee Dylan Brooks, who redshirted in 2021 before appearing in nine games as a reserve last season, totaling just six tackles and a sack across those appearances. The Tigers tried to address their needs off the edge with the 2023 class and the transfer portal, adding three more players to the Jack room.

Auburn landed veteran Vanderbilt transfer Elijah McAllister, who spent five years with the Commodores and was a two-time captain for the program. He played in 36 games and made 12 starts at Vanderbilt, where he totaled 63 career tackles, three forced fumbles, two fumble recoveries, an interception and a defensive touchdown.

“Elijah has given us great reps,” Freeze said. “He’s a heck of a teammate and leader, and (he) understands the game and is decent at it, but you sure would like to have a Derick Hall, you know?... Somebody like that.”

The Tigers’ other two additions to the position were in the 2023 class: three-star Opelika product Brenton Williams and four-star Highland Home standout Keldric Faulk, who was the highest-rated signee in Auburn’s first recruiting class under Freeze. Faulk was a key addition on early signing day, and the 6-foot-6, 275-pound early enrollee already looks the part of an SEC edge-rusher from a physical standpoint.

“He’s what they’re supposed to look like,” Freeze said.

The first-year coach believes Faulk, the No. 74 player in the country and a top-10 recruit at his position, will see the field early at Auburn despite just coming off a wrist injury earlier this year and has what it takes to be a “phenomenal” player in the SEC. It’s not just that Faulk has the skillset and size to play right away; the Tigers need him to contribute immediately at Jack.

“He’s going to catch up fast,” Freeze said. “He’s just got to learn now. You’re asking him to do a lot. That position on our defense does a lot. So, it’s a big learning curve. It’s great he’s here this spring to get these 15 practices so that he goes into the summer with a better understanding. But we’re excited about the future for him.”

Even with Faulk expected to contribute right away, Freeze reiterated the need for Auburn to add more depth to the position, as the Tigers will actively try to bring in another transfer during the post-spring portal window.

“We’ve got to get some more of those guys,” Freeze said.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:
al.com

Auburn ‘deficient in true pass-rushers,’ but a freshman has Hugh Freeze excited

Published: Mar. 21, 2023, 7:05 a.m.
4–5 minutes

AUBURN, AL - 2023.03.15 - Spring Practice

AUBURN, AL - March 15, 2023 - Auburn Jack Linebacker Elijah McAllister (#11) during spring practice at the Woltosz Football Performance Center in Auburn, AL. Photo by Austin PerrymanAuburn University Athletics

Derick Hall will be back on the field of Auburn’s indoor practice facility on Tuesday, but unfortunately for Hugh Freeze, it will only be for the Tigers’ pro day.

As Auburn’s third week of spring practice got underway Monday, Freeze yearned for the opportunity to have a guy like Hall coming off the edge for the Tigers this spring. Hall was a two-time All-SEC selection on the Plains and was one of the league’s most productive pass-rushers the last two seasons, totaling 15.5 sacks and 24 tackles for loss.

His presence has been sorely missed for Auburn this spring at its Jack position, which Freeze said Monday is still a work in progress as the Tigers try to replace Hall and fellow edge Eku Leota.

“We need to recruit more,” Freeze said of the position. “We’re not where we need to be in rushing the passer. We certainly will improve our guys, but we’ve got to get better at that spot, for sure. At all sports, but we’ve got to get better. We’re deficient in true pass-rushers currently.”

Auburn returns just one scholarship player at that position from last season’s team: 2021 signee Dylan Brooks, who redshirted in 2021 before appearing in nine games as a reserve last season, totaling just six tackles and a sack across those appearances. The Tigers tried to address their needs off the edge with the 2023 class and the transfer portal, adding three more players to the Jack room.

Auburn landed veteran Vanderbilt transfer Elijah McAllister, who spent five years with the Commodores and was a two-time captain for the program. He played in 36 games and made 12 starts at Vanderbilt, where he totaled 63 career tackles, three forced fumbles, two fumble recoveries, an interception and a defensive touchdown.

“Elijah has given us great reps,” Freeze said. “He’s a heck of a teammate and leader, and (he) understands the game and is decent at it, but you sure would like to have a Derick Hall, you know?... Somebody like that.”

The Tigers’ other two additions to the position were in the 2023 class: three-star Opelika product Brenton Williams and four-star Highland Home standout Keldric Faulk, who was the highest-rated signee in Auburn’s first recruiting class under Freeze. Faulk was a key addition on early signing day, and the 6-foot-6, 275-pound early enrollee already looks the part of an SEC edge-rusher from a physical standpoint.

“He’s what they’re supposed to look like,” Freeze said.

The first-year coach believes Faulk, the No. 74 player in the country and a top-10 recruit at his position, will see the field early at Auburn despite just coming off a wrist injury earlier this year and has what it takes to be a “phenomenal” player in the SEC. It’s not just that Faulk has the skillset and size to play right away; the Tigers need him to contribute immediately at Jack.

“He’s going to catch up fast,” Freeze said. “He’s just got to learn now. You’re asking him to do a lot. That position on our defense does a lot. So, it’s a big learning curve. It’s great he’s here this spring to get these 15 practices so that he goes into the summer with a better understanding. But we’re excited about the future for him.”

Even with Faulk expected to contribute right away, Freeze reiterated the need for Auburn to add more depth to the position, as the Tigers will actively try to bring in another transfer during the post-spring portal window.

“We’ve got to get some more of those guys,” Freeze said.

While it’s true, I think this is an awkward thing to say about a guy who transferred to your program in a press conference:

He’s “decent” but I wish we had the guy who left. Some things you just think to yourself.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TexasTiger said:

While it’s true, I think this is an awkward thing to say about a guy who transferred to your program in a press conference:

He’s “decent” but I wish we had the guy who left. Some things you just think to yourself.

And sometimes honesty can lead to larger growth. Who's to say McKnight doesn't hear that, challenge himself, and eclipse the standard.  IMO, CHF doesn't say a lot he hasn't thought out.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

i saw that and i cringed a little. maybe it is psych warfare to make the young man angry? this is twice he has done this. he got someone else but i have dang near no memories left. on the bright side i do appear to be growing mammeries in my old age. man i hope that does not get me time out.

7 minutes ago, bigbird said:

And sometimes honesty can lead to larger growth. Who's to say McKnight doesn't hear that, challenge himself, and eclipse the standard.  IMO, CHF doesn't say a lot he hasn't thought out.

Perhaps. Not sure about the last sentence, though. 

i think this might be a repeat. same film but different title. apologies

Edited by aubiefifty

247sports.com

Why evaluating Robby Ashford reminds Hugh Freeze of Malik Willis

Nathan King

4–5 minutes

AUBURN, Alabama — Hugh Freeze knows his incumbent starting quarterback is itching to get out and run.

It's no secret Robby Ashford had his struggles throwing the football as Auburn's starter for nine games last season — and that his dynamism as an offensive weapon comes when he can open up defenses with his legs. But as Auburn enters its third week of spring practices, there obviously aren't many opportunities — yet — for Ashford to flex his entire skill set.

It reminds Freeze of another mobile Auburn quarterback from a few years ago.

When Malik Willis arrived at Liberty after transferring from Auburn in 2019, he was in a similar situation in Freeze's spring practices. He attempted only 14 passes in two years at Auburn before leaving when he was cut out of the QB competition between Bo Nix and Joey Gatewood, and it was tough for Freeze to fully gauge his progress as an all-around quarterback when the bullets weren't flying.

"There was no significant snaps of him doing what we wanted to do in the college game," Freeze said Monday. "I think he had like 15 snaps in his tenure here, and they were all pretty much zone-read. So, you get him and there are people that practice really, really well, and then there are people that don't practice as well. I've had those before."

While Freeze had seen Willis' athleticism on display in mop-up duty at Auburn — with 11 yards per carry in two seasons — it was his throwing mechanics and fundamentals that received the most attention for the first several months he was on campus, since Freeze doesn't let his quarterbacks get hit until the fall.

"Truthfully, going into that fall camp with Malik, I had no clue if he was going to be a complete player because you just don't evaluate that portion of the game," Freeze said.

Willis' transfer waiver for immediate eligibility was denied, so it wasn't until 2020 that the future third-round pick got to show his abilities. Freeze said it was in his very first game as a starter that his running ability made a big impact — something that just wasn't always quantifiable in practice settings.

Ashford has plenty to work on throwing the ball before the Tigers' staff wants to focus on his legs — he tossed seven touchdowns to seven picks, with the worst completion percentage for an Auburn starting QB since the late '90s — but there's no denying Ashford is the biggest home-run threat in the run game of the Tigers' current crop of signal-callers. His 709 rushing yards and seven touchdowns were second last season among SEC quarterbacks behind only LSU's Jayden Daniels.

"I think it's very hard to evaluate just how good he can be, practicing the way we do," Freeze said.

Freeze has been honest in his evaluations of every position group since practice started, and didn'T pull any punches on his quarterbacks after the first two weeks. The first-year head coach said the QBs and receivers are maybe the two groups lagging behind the most at the moment, and that it's even affecting the staff's offensive install in a negative way.

"I wish we were further along after watching Friday's tape, but it's certainly not from a lack of want-to — and I'm not even sure it's a lack of can-do," Freeze said. "I think we've got to coach it better. Hopefully we'll see a turn toward a better understanding of what we're trying to do this week."

The Tigers scrimmaged for the first time last Friday, though it was more of a situational walkthrough in the indoor facility. The heat will be cranked up further this Friday in a traditional scrimmage setting.

"We'll have SEC officials here Friday — so we've got a lot of work to do before we get to that point," Freeze said. "But hopefully it turns out to be a good day."

Hugh Freeze expressed uncertainty about Auburn’s QB room

Updated: Mar. 21, 2023, 11:46 a.m.|Published: Mar. 21, 2023, 9:33 a.m.
3–4 minutes

Auburn head coach Hugh Freeze didn’t mince words Monday when reporters asked about the development of quarterbacks Robby Ashford, T.J. Finley, and Holden Geriner in offensive coordinator Philip Montgomery’s system during spring practice.

“It’s very new, what we’re asking them to do, and truthfully I wish we were further along after watching Friday’s tape,” Freeze said. “But it’s certainly not from a lack of want-to, and I’m not even sure it’s a lack of can-do. We just, I think we’ve got to coach it better. Hopefully, we’ll see a turn toward a better understanding of what we’re trying to do this week.”

The Tigers completed their seventh practice Monday after Freeze spoke to reporters. Ashford and Finley have been splitting the majority of the first-team reps.

Read More Auburn Football: Auburn ‘deficient in true pass-rushers,’ but a freshman has Hugh Freeze’s attention

Geriner works primarily with the third team and gets second and first-team reps as the quarterback competition continues on the Plains. Freeze found positivity in the work ethic of the trio competing for the starting spot.

“I’ve liked their attitude and I’ve liked their work ethic and I’ve liked the way they desire to be coached. I don’t like the inconsistencies that I’ve continued to see through six practices,” Freeze said. “Again, I want to say that I think part of that is on us, the staff, to get fixed. I’ve challenged myself and the quarterback coaches to -- let’s get some of this fixed. These inconsistencies. And see if it’s -- I don’t want those inconsistencies to be because of indecisiveness or lack of understanding, that falls in our lap.”

Freeze was asked if he had to name a starter, who would it be. His answer was honest but concerned with April 8th’s spring game rapidly approaching.

“I have no idea on the starting quarterback, Freeze said.

How will Freeze select the starting quarterback? He gave some insight during the press conference.

“Quarterbacks should be making the correct decision — if he’s gonna be your guy — 85 to 95 percent of the time,” Freeze said. “And then you judge the execution, and then you start knowing who your quarterback is based off those. Right now, we’re having too many of the eyes in the wrong spot, and the decision-making isn’t what it’s supposed to be.”

Learning a new offense is never easy, especially in a complex run-pass option system that Montgomery wants to establish. Struggles are part of the process. Freeze hopes his coaching staff can work on making the offense easier to digest for the quarterbacks.

“I think it’s going well. I just wish we were further along with our quarterbacks and their inconsistencies with some of the RPO game,” Freeze said. “I think maybe we should teach it a little differently, and that’s what we’ll begin today. It’s going great, though. Neither one of us has an ego. We’re just like, ‘How are we gonna get them better?’ So it’s been fun.”

Nubyjas Wilborn covers Auburn for Alabama Media Group

Alabama EDGE commit: Auburn atmosphere 'different' under Freeze

Published: Mar. 21, 2023, 2:52 p.m.

3–4 minutes

High School Sports

Alabama 2024 EDGE commit Sterling Dixon discusses his ‘great’ visit to rival Auburn

Mobile Christian DE/LB Sterling Dixon committed to Alabama in December but visited LSU and Auburn over the last two weeks. (Mike Kittrell | preps@al.com)

Alabama 2024 EDGE commit Sterling Dixon called his visit to rival Auburn on Monday “great.”

“The coaches showed me a lot of love,” Dixon said of his most recent trip to the Plains. “Coach (Hugh) Freeze is in contact with me a lot. I think this was definitely one of my better visits up there.”

The 6-foot-3, 211-pound Dixon committed to Alabama in December and told AL.com on Tuesday he remains committed to the Crimson Tide though he clearly hasn’t shut the door on other opportunities completely.

“Right now, I’m still looking, but I feel like I’m going to Alabama,” he said.

RELATED: How fast is Mr. Football Ryan Williams?

Dixon, the Class 3A Lineman of the Year after making 172 tackles as a junior, said Auburn’s hiring of Freeze has put the Tigers back in play for some key recruits across the state.

“He has brought more excitement there,” he said. “A lot of people want to go see Auburn now. I feel like it is a different atmosphere there now. The coaches around him are great. Everyone is on the same page. They treat players and recruits like family.”

Dixon said he is enjoying the recruiting process but admits it can be stressful.

“I just want to make the right decision for my future,” he said. “I have a three-year plan. I’m trying to go to college for three years and then go to the NFL. I’m looking for whichever school gives me the best chance to fulfill that goal.”

Dixon’s 172 tackles last fall along with his 18 sacks were a school single-season record. He also had 39 tackles for a loss. Last month, he was named the defensive line MVP at an Under Armour Next camp in Atlanta.

“He is such a goal-oriented guy,” Mobile Christian head coach Ronnie Cottrell said of Dixon. “I expect him to just keep improving. The way he works in the weight room, he trains at other places, he has a personal coach who helps him – he’s just going to get better and better after an outstanding junior year.”

Cottrell, a former recruiter at Florida State and Alabama, agrees with Dixon that there has been a difference in Auburn’s recruiting approach with the arrival of the new staff.

“He (Freeze) came by here,” Cottrell said. “He was impressive. He came by with coach (Zac) Etheridge. I think they are just putting a lot more emphasis on their relationships with high school coaches and high schools themselves. It’s just totally different.”

Dixon also is still being recruiting by another of Alabama’s SEC West rivals, LSU. He visited Baton Rouge, La., last week.

“They treated me like family, really rolled out the red carpet,” he said. “Coach (Brian) Kelly is going a great job of recruiting me as is coach Freeze.”

Dixon isn’t the only Gulf Coast Alabama commit that Auburn is still recruiting.

“Me, Ryan (Williams), Perry (Thompson) … they keep in touch with us,” Dixon said. “They treat us like family. I feel like it’s going to be a great year for Auburn this year.”

If you purchase a product or register for an account through one of the links on our site, we may receive compensation.