Eligibility for 2024?

ArgoEagle

1 hour ago, NoALtiger said:

If these guys are coming back in your scenario, where are the spots you are talking about filling going to come from?

just saying it doesn’t have to be a complete rebuild for this team to get better next season. I’m hoping it’s more like 3 guys leaving versus 6. 

We have three Freshmen that I hope are all coming back. A healthy Westry  and Traore who hopefully between now and next year can turn potential into production would go a long way in helping at PF and SG which are positions of need. If both after a full year of strength and conditioning can add a few pounds of muscle to go along with their skill sets they could be very helpful either as starters or solid backups. The way Bruce has talked about Westry I get the idea he is a star in the making.  Donaldson is starting to look like a PG with some work and confidence he could also be a key piece like the other two freshmen as either a starter or a solid backup. I would love to see Jaylin return also.  The only player coming back that I see as a sure starter based on what we saw this year would be Broome and possibly Jaylin if he returns. One player I am not sure about is Chris Moore he had some good games and was always doing the dirty work but he also disappeared at times so I am not sure if he is a piece that we need  for next year or not.  We have a PG coming in but as a true Freshman and also as a typical Bruce small PG it will be interesting to see what Bruce gets or try's to get in the Portal.

My best guess is a SG, SF, PF at a minimum and I think another player who could move between SG and SF and possibly a PG.  If we can get the right guys in the portal the guys who stay don't have to be starters but they do have to be at least backups that you can count on.

40 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

If I were Cardwell, I would have to consider moving on.  I think his talent is being wasted.

Thats an interesting take. How do you think he could be better utilized?

Cardwell was one of my big disappointments on the season. Really thought he would develop into a pretty good big man. But his offense is going backward if anywhere.  He is still pretty good on defense for the most part. Can put himself in bad position at times and get dumb fouls but overall moves well and pretty good shot blocker. His dunks and lobs are going to be hard to come by until we can make teams defend the 3 point line again. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, gravejd said:

How do you think he could be better utilized?

I really believe we would have been a better team with Cardwell and Broome playing at the same time (at least some of the time).

There were losses in which we could have done much better with more rebounding, more rim protection.  You cannot score less than 25 in a half and,,, get out rebounded, give up so many points in the paint.  When you can't score, you'd better rebound and defend.

I think we lost some games this year not because we were the less talented team, not because we struggled scoring but,,, because we just would not create matchups in our favor.

Would love to have seen what we looked like with Cardwell, Broome, Williams, Green and Flanny.

1 hour ago, icanthearyou said:

I really believe we would have been a better team with Cardwell and Broome playing at the same time (at least some of the time).

There were losses in which we could have done much better with more rebounding, more rim protection.  You cannot score less than 25 in a half and,,, get out rebounded, give up so many points in the paint.  When you can't score, you'd better rebound and defend.

I think we lost some games this year not because we were the less talented team, not because we struggled scoring but,,, because we just would not create matchups in our favor.

Would love to have seen what we looked like with Cardwell, Broome, Williams, Green and Flanny.

Cool idea for a lineup. Definitely would have addressed the height issue we had. I’m not sure that lineup works on defense though. We’d be terrible slow trying to guard the 3 or 4 spot with that lineup. Maybe you run zone out of it though and that helps? 

Regardless I like the idea of giving it a try and see. Not like any of our other lineups didn’t also have holes that were easily exploited 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Cool idea for a lineup. Definitely would have addressed the height issue we had. I’m not sure that lineup works on defense though. We’d be terrible slow trying to guard the 3 or 4 spot with that lineup. Maybe you run zone out of it though and that helps? 

Regardless I like the idea of giving it a try and see. Not like any of our other lineups didn’t also have holes that were easily exploited 

Yep.  Who guards the 5?  I'd probably say Broome.  Cardwell moves really well so, I'd have him guard the 4.  And, that leaves Williams guarding the 3.   Then, there is the concern about foul trouble (I have no understanding of SEC officiating anymore) but,,, nothing is perfect.

I think it is a rotation that could have helped us with matchups against some teams.  It's mostly about rebounding and, rim protection, being more physical.

The issue with playing Cardwell and Broome is the foul issue. Playing both of them at the same time would be really pressing ur luck. The way games were called against Auburn CBP would probably be forced to go long stretches playing small ball. In most games u would only see Broome trying to get a rebound surrounded by 3 or 4 other guys. Flan and Jaylin should have been able to help him.

• Like 2

^^^ what e808 said.  there would be long stretches in which we would have NO big man on the floor, possibly due to fouls and also fatigue.  when you only have 2 bigs and essentially zero depth behind them, not much else you can do except what CBP did.  imo, cardwell could not guard the 4...he'd foul out quickly.   

just for fun, i'd like to have seen WG and TD on floor at same time, to see if thay "freed up" TD more or not.

You just can't play 2 non-stretch 5s at the same time. With a team that already can't shoot it would be some ugly basketball trying to get points and whoever was guarding the 4 would be relentlessly attacked on defense by someone they wouldn't be able to keep up with. I like our 5s. Cardwell is just a super solid backup center and a nice fit in his role IMO

Edited by Tiger
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We needed many more rebounds in most of the games we lost this year, especially on the offensive end when we were one and done in most of these games. Better 3 point shooting would have masked this problem, but it was displayed in full glory with our poor shooting in too many games. Broome needed help and will need better support next year than is apparent with the likely returnees.

Very curious to see how the PG position shakes out with Aden  coming in next year, Tre Donaldson surging to close the year, and Wendell Green most likely returning

20 hours ago, gravejd said:

just saying it doesn’t have to be a complete rebuild for this team to get better next season. I’m hoping it’s more like 3 guys leaving versus 6. 

@gravejd If you count Zep it's likely 4 minimum.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

We have three Freshmen that I hope are all coming back.

May lose 1 or 2.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, gravejd said:

There’s no way Bruce would run that lineup for realistically any time at all. A lineup like that would get run in the dirt quick and both those guys would be in foul trouble so fast your head would spin. For a sec in a certain situational setting perhaps? Absolutely could be plausible and a nice change of pace, but that would be bad news the rest of the time. Just not practical imo. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, zeroforwinger said:

Oh that’s concerning. I assume you mean Westry and/or Traore. Donaldson seemed to take a big leap at the end of the season. 

That is concerning.  Westry may be a JPowell situation from a couple of years ago.   I certainly hope not.  I think he has a ton of potential.   Traore’s season was disappointing.  He may feel like he wasn’t a good fit and wants to find another home.  🤷‍♂️

Zep is out of eligibility.  All reports are that Flan is gone (NBA or overseas).   Stretch was a SR and may not be given the option to use his extra year.  

If one of the FR transfer, that’s 4 before we even begin speculating about JWill, KD, Cardwell, etc.  

I’m hoping we bring in some good transfers that really meet some needs!

1 hour ago, zeroforwinger said:

Oh that’s concerning. I assume you mean Westry and/or Traore. Donaldson seemed to take a big leap at the end of the season. 

@zeroforwinger Haven't seen Westry as a possibility yet.

• Like 3

2023/24 Wishlist

PG - Wendell Green, Aden Holloway, Tre Donaldson

SG - Denver Jones (FIU transfer), KD Johnson 

SF - Chance Westry, Elijah Fischer (Texas Tech transfer)

PF - Flory Budinga (re-classifies), Jaylin Williams (Covid year) 

C - Johni Broome, Dylan Cardwell, Yohan Traore 

On 3/21/2023 at 6:03 PM, ellitor said:

Somebody could leave if he does.

I would hate to lose a player with potential to keep Green around another year. Hes one of the worst end of game PGs Ive ever watched. Bruce has to see the guard positions as they are currently are just not good enough to be a real contender.

On 3/21/2023 at 11:32 AM, icanthearyou said:

If I were Cardwell, I would have to consider moving on.  I think his talent is being wasted.

Wasted on what?  Kid can’t shoot.  Fouls way too much.   I will say he has a lot of energy and probably is a great teammate, but he isn’t even third team all sec material.  

4 hours ago, CR said:

I would hate to lose a player with potential to keep Green around another year. Hes one of the worst end of game PGs Ive ever watched. Bruce has to see the guard positions as they are currently are just not good enough to be a real contender.

And in many games he's been Auburn's best player. I wouldn't be in a big hurry to run Green off.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1