Open Club  ·  58 members

BBQ Boys

Got a Traeger for Christmas.

ShocksMyBrain

Pro Series 34. After living on my own for 20 years or so, I have my first grill. So as you can imagine I’ve learned a lot in the last few months. A lot of ups and downs and trial and error. I regularly do chicken-breasts/thighs/wings. Steaks have been hit and miss, but I almost always toss them in a cast iron after hitting temp on the grill—the reverse sear does give a nice flavor and texture though. 

Today, I’m doing my first butt. 8.95lbs, planning on smoking for 9 hours or when it achieves temp. 

2B1CAB07-E6A9-4FA5-A5F4-E84189E964A2.jpeg

Edited by ShocksMyBrain

Wings are my favorite to do, and I think I finally got my method down after piecing together from other peoples’ methods. The first batch I did turned out rubbery and I wound up tossing the whole batch. 

The wings pictured here are the best  I’ve ever done in any appliance. 

4CB9B030-E92E-4719-A1D9-2460EC5A07AA.jpeg

Edited by ShocksMyBrain

• 10 months later...
On 3/15/2023 at 8:25 AM, ShocksMyBrain said:

Wings are my favorite to do, and I think I finally got my method down after piecing together from other peoples’ methods. The first batch I did turned out rubbery and I wound up tossing the whole batch. 

The wings pictured here are the best  I’ve ever done in any appliance. 

4CB9B030-E92E-4719-A1D9-2460EC5A07AA.jpeg

Great stuff!

If you want to try something new: Throw them in the deep fryer for two minutes after you pull off the smoker. 

9 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Great stuff!

If you want to try something new: Throw them in the deep fryer for two minutes after you pull off the smoker. 

I don’t have a deep fryer, but I know a lot of people will toss them in the air fryer when they come off the grill. I’ve tried it a few times, but it usually dries the chicken out. I’ve refined my method over the past year almost to where I’ve gotten them perfect. 

IMG_4416.jpeg

• Like 1