Is it Really on CBP?

AURex

You're not going to find a better kid than Sears. There's not a personality issue or anything like that. 

But once again forget Sears specifically you have a bunch of guards that's not that good. You need to upgrade all of them. Saying I'm bringing in a freshman isn't going to cut it. Bammer lost players too they had players returning too, you know what they did? They brought in more guards.....it seems to have worked out well for them. 

We was in the predicament last year with the guys you keep bringing up that we lost. How do you think they are going to be better the next year when you lose the guys? 

Also we were in this situation when we had Cooper as well. So when is it time to talk about not having good guards? Mind you guards are the key to winning once tourney time starts. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DAG said:

My solution is to come on the boards , hear what other people have to say, allow them to provide constructive feedback if necessary and if I don’t agree with it , I can either ignore it or rebuttal it. 

What I am not going to do is characterize some of the posting that I’ve seen as catastrophic in nature like you are doing. Life, like coaching, is not all black or white , yet you want to die on this hill. That’s your prerogative . Again , I don’t agree on just giving people passes because of past situations . I tend to apply that in a practical  sense too such as work, relationship , life in general

but you do you haha

I see me as looking at the big picture and not a slice of the picture. But whatever. And I'm closer to 70 than 60, so I'm darn sure not gonna "do" anybody else. It's all good either way. Our opinions don't differ much on the football forum. We just disagree here. I don't consider making the dance a disaster of a season. I do think we have underperformed, but if this is our floor as a program, I'm good. We'll see what happens in the next few years.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, cole256 said:

You're not going to find a better kid than Sears. There's not a personality issue or anything like that. 

But once again forget Sears specifically you have a bunch of guards that's not that good. You need to upgrade all of them. Saying I'm bringing in a freshman isn't going to cut it. Bammer lost players too they had players returning too, you know what they did? They brought in more guards.....it seems to have worked out well for them. 

We was in the predicament last year with the guys you keep bringing up that we lost. How do you think they are going to be better the next year when you lose the guys? 

Also we were in this situation when we had Cooper as well. So when is it time to talk about not having good guards? Mind you guards are the key to winning once tourney time starts. 

It’s like the trap I fell into with CBH. We knew there was an inadequate talent level at the o-line. The coaching staff could not replace it, whether it was poor recruiting practices , lack of support , NIL issues, it still falls on the coach. Instead , I fell for the same coach speak of bringing guys back older and maturer. Did not work out well. It is what it is. Seems CBP is ready to right the ship. 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

It’s like the trap I fell into with CBH. We knew there was an inadequate talent level at the o-line. The coaching staff could not replace it, whether it was poor recruiting practices , lack of support , NIL issues, it still falls on the coach. Instead , I fell for the same coach speak of bringing guys back older and maturer. Did not work out well. It is what it is. Seems CBP is ready to right the ship. 

This. I think the best indicator that what many on the board are saying about our guard situation and how it played out is the fact that BP is changing course. We've already seen reports he realized he made a mistake, and we can see he is aggressively pursuing portal player as they enter. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DAG said:

That's a great comparison. It's like you can come up with every excuse in the book but you're not going to be able to explain sitting pat on what you saw last year. Those Miami guards destroyed us and our guards didn't have to do much more than bring the ball up and give the ball to Smith and hit open shots when he 's double teamed.....we watched it. We watched how they'd get tight at the end of games KNOWING they had the best player on the floor on their team....what do you think is going to happen when he leave? They get better?

But I see he's just going to face palm my answers like the other dude that stalks me....

That's what trip me out though....treat me like I'm the dummy or like I just be saying stuff that doesn't make sense....then when I'm right later on and say see!! That's a problem too. Like when you see zep play and literally have 0's across the board. Or you literally watch Sears play head to head and see the difference all in the game when he comes in or take the game over at the end I guess we're supposed to close our eyes and pretend we didn't see what we saw......I'm just going to bow out and let them have it 😂

Edited by cole256
  • Like 1

Mind you too let's not forget the kid many on here was making out to be great having to play point guard....tried to explain how he isn't a PG and he's not as good as we're saying and we need better guards everybody got so pissed off at that too......he transferred and he didn't play point for anybody else. This stuff happened

Not having enough quality guards is something that should be discussed. But I see how it's a problem when I speak for whatever reason so I'll let the other guys explain to somebody who's not going to really listen. I'm just going to talk about other stuff besides this issue. I might point stuff out but I'm not going to keep trying to convince or argue

Edited by cole256

On 3/11/2023 at 9:58 PM, AURex said:

Maybe I'm completely misunderstanding the rampant criticisms of CBP,

I don't see it. Seems tame to me. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AURex said:

So, lots of you seem to criticize CBP for not taking Sears.

I don't follow recruiting that closely, but (1) might that have been because ... um ... Westry? and (2) Wasn't it logical that his priority would be to try to deal with the loss of Jabari and Kessler, thus Broome and Traore? or (3) Might there have been some other reason, maybe personality fit with CBP that was an issue?

I don't know how many spots he had available, and I'm sure not deep into recruiting. I'm just asking about this particular criticism because it seems to be a very specific criticism that some of you keep belaboring.

I think there’s a lot of frustration in general over not addressing the guard situation from last year, not just Sears specifically, although he would have been an option yes. We have 3 slots being taken up by Wendell, Zep, and KD and that issue was our downfall last year even with two first round draft picks on the team. One competent guard and we may very well be sitting here with a Natty right now. Everyone knew that but all we did was essentially swap Jabari/Kess for Broome/Traore and didn’t address the glaring weakness with our 3 small, turnover prone guards- one of which has literally zero offensive output to contribute and the other two are amazingly inconsistent night to night. It’s more than just taking Westry over Sears imo. 

Edited by NoALtiger
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

I think there’s a lot of frustration in general over not addressing the guard situation from last year, not just Sears specifically, although he would have been an option yes. We have 3 slots being taken up by Wendell, Zep, and KD and that issue was our downfall last year even with two first round draft picks on the team. One competent guard and we may very well be sitting here with a Natty right now. Everyone knew that but all we did was essentially swap Jabari/Kess for Broome/Traore and didn’t address the glaring weakness with our 3 small, turnover prone guards- one of which has literally zero offensive output to contribute and the other two are amazingly inconsistent night to night. It’s more than just taking Westry over Sears imo. 

Add on to that we STILL don't know if westry can play point. His clips from high school shows he may end up being a great ISO guard. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jAUSon said:

I don't see it. Seems tame to me. 

Any criticism is rampant criticism to these guys. And it would probably be even tamer if they didn't adamantly fight to defend BP's recent poor decisions by saying he is above criticism (not by actually defending his decisions, mind you). That just tells me they don't understand, so I (foolishly) try even HARDER to explain it to them. This isn't some Harsin situation, we aren't at BP's door with pitchforks demanding he resign. If you brought BP in here, he would AGREE with us. You know how I know? By his actions. He's going after the portal HARD for a reason. If you look at our roster, we don't technically have to lose anyone but Zep. So why pursue the portal so hard if he didn't see his error?

• Thanks 1

I think the biggest issue that’s causing rumblings is what’s going on across the state.  I think most Auburn fans thought that Bruce was going to be Auburn’s “Saban” of basketball and it started looking that way.  I think most people would be slightly disappointed in this season but watching Bama dominate and in a position to overtake the accomplishments that Bruce has accomplished has magnified this average year.  It may be unfair but if Bama wins it all then Bruce is going to start feeling real pressure. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Win4AU said:

I think the biggest issue that’s causing rumblings is what’s going on across the state.  I think most Auburn fans thought that Bruce was going to be Auburn’s “Saban” of basketball and it started looking that way.  I think most people would be slightly disappointed in this season but watching Bama dominate and in a position to overtake the accomplishments that Bruce has accomplished has magnified this average year.  It may be unfair but if Bama wins it all then Bruce is going to start feeling real pressure. 

Great post. I was thinking the same thing. Basically Nate has out Bruce Bruce. They have three point shooting and athletic guys just like the final four team. The only difference is taller guards. What really stings is last years team didn’t do much after the regular season

1 hour ago, Win4AU said:

YUP!

What they're doing over there will make AU stronger, we now have to seriously Up our game.

I think a few SEC teams are making a concerted effort to get better, Ole Miss hiring Chris Beard was a homerun hire. Vandy and Mizzou both got better with their recent hires. 

Edited by JerryAU
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, e808 said:

Great post. I was thinking the same thing. Basically Nate has out Bruce Bruce. They have three point shooting and athletic guys just like the final four team. The only difference is taller guards. What really stings is last years team didn’t do much after the regular season

The only thing they are missing is a big body like Wiley and a uber athletic shot blocker. They are that close. Miller is a better scorer than okeke but okeke was a better defender. If they start clicking though....It's going to be aggravating to watch 

• Like 1