3/9/23 Football Articles

aubiefifty

Athlon Sports ranks Auburn last in the SEC West in new power rankings

JD McCarthy
2–3 minutes

4daf076c7c612b66792110f029afa75d

Hugh Freeze is inheriting an Auburn team that went 5-7 last season and has numerous questions to answer about the roster.

While the motto for spring practice has become “Flip the Script,” Athlon Sports thinks the Tigers will show some improvement in Year 1 but has them starting at the bottom of their spring power rankings for the SEC. Steven Lassan slated them as his No. 11 team in the SEC and dead last in the SEC West.

What to Watch on Offense: Quarterback Robby Ashford’s development under coach Hugh Freeze and coordinator Philip Montgomery is crucial with the second transfer window opening in mid-April. The line is just as big of a concern for Auburn with four new starters, with three transfers expected to win jobs.

What to Watch on Defense: New coordinator Ron Roberts inherits a solid foundation, especially in the secondary where the Tigers return cornerbacks D.J. James and Nehemiah Pritchett. How fast can Roberts find replacements for standouts Derick Hall and Colby Wooden up front, along with linebacker Owen Pappoe?

He ranked the Tigers ahead of Florida, Missouri, and Vanderbilt.

While they are ranked low, he is expecting Auburn to get better during the season and under Freeze.

Auburn should also show improvement in coach Hugh Freeze’s debut.

The Tigers are currently taking a break from spring practice but will pick back up next week and will end spring practices on April 8 with the A-Day game.

More Football!

Rivals names Zac Etheridge an up-and-coming recruiter in the SEC

Could Robby Ashford be the SEC's most surprising player in 2023?

Is Anthony Richardson a better passer than Cam Newton?

Local DL target can 'see himself playing' for Jeremy Garrett

Contact/Follow us @TheAuburnWire on Twitter, and like our page on Facebook to follow ongoing coverage of Auburn news, notes, and opinion. You can also follow JD on Twitter @jdmccarthy15.

The transfer portal window will open again for 15 days after spring practice, with Auburn and other schools having a chance to adjust the roster one last time before the season.

• Like 1

• Like 1

3 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

Athlon Sports ranks Auburn last in the SEC West in new power rankings

JD McCarthy
2–3 minutes

4daf076c7c612b66792110f029afa75d

Hugh Freeze is inheriting an Auburn team that went 5-7 last season and has numerous questions to answer about the roster.

While the motto for spring practice has become “Flip the Script,” Athlon Sports thinks the Tigers will show some improvement in Year 1 but has them starting at the bottom of their spring power rankings for the SEC. Steven Lassan slated them as his No. 11 team in the SEC and dead last in the SEC West.

What to Watch on Offense: Quarterback Robby Ashford’s development under coach Hugh Freeze and coordinator Philip Montgomery is crucial with the second transfer window opening in mid-April. The line is just as big of a concern for Auburn with four new starters, with three transfers expected to win jobs.

What to Watch on Defense: New coordinator Ron Roberts inherits a solid foundation, especially in the secondary where the Tigers return cornerbacks D.J. James and Nehemiah Pritchett. How fast can Roberts find replacements for standouts Derick Hall and Colby Wooden up front, along with linebacker Owen Pappoe?

He ranked the Tigers ahead of Florida, Missouri, and Vanderbilt.

While they are ranked low, he is expecting Auburn to get better during the season and under Freeze.

Auburn should also show improvement in coach Hugh Freeze’s debut.

The Tigers are currently taking a break from spring practice but will pick back up next week and will end spring practices on April 8 with the A-Day game.

More Football!

Rivals names Zac Etheridge an up-and-coming recruiter in the SEC

Could Robby Ashford be the SEC's most surprising player in 2023?

Is Anthony Richardson a better passer than Cam Newton?

Local DL target can 'see himself playing' for Jeremy Garrett

Contact/Follow us @TheAuburnWire on Twitter, and like our page on Facebook to follow ongoing coverage of Auburn news, notes, and opinion. You can also follow JD on Twitter @jdmccarthy15.

Hard to argue against those rankings at the moment.

If we get a QB post spring, we could fall anywhere between 5 and 10

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

Hard to argue against those rankings at the moment.

If we get a QB post spring, we could fall anywhere between 5 and 10

i thought that. i posted this hoping it would end up in the football complex where our players could see it and use it for motivation.

On 3/9/2023 at 7:04 AM, aubiefifty said:

This guy just said that our WRs are #14 in the SEC, that’s dead last!   Pin that in the WR room.  

As for the Athlon prediction, I do think 11 is a little low.  With mediocre QB play, I think we could be about 6 or 7.   With very good QB play, I think we could be in the conversation for #4 in the league.   With that said, we play 1, 2, and 3, so those likely losses may affect where we end up in the rankings.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

This guy just said that our WRs are #14 in the SEC, that’s dead last!   Pin that in the WR room.  

As for the Athlon prediction, I do think 11 is a little low.  With mediocre QB play, I think we could be about 6 or 7.   With very good QB play, I think we could be in the conversation for #4 in the league.   With that said, we play 1, 2, and 3, so those likely losses may affect where we end up in the rankings.  

i think our receivers take a huge step forward and we are favored to have a good chance with the camden kid. i think we work out most of our troubles and win eight or nine games. this is the faith i have in this staff. i could be wrong but i think we are virtually watching Auburn football being born again and rising from the ashes. thanx for commenting.

• Like 1