2023 Transfer Portal Thread

ellitor

5 hours ago, Mikey said:

I'm going to go back and repeat what I said two years ago. The current transfer/NIL setup is not sustainable. Every year the wobble gets greater. How many more seasons before the thing jumps the tracks? This isn't limited to basketball, other sports are in the same unfortunate situation.

I thought having SD State and FIU in the final four was pretty awesome 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Lotto said:

Does it not make sense that sec schools make so much money off football since it’s such a grossing sport they can use it elsewhere?

Schools cannot pay NIL money. That has to come from outside sources. (boosters)

Do you really like the fact that rosters do a fruit-basket turnover every year? Do you like the fact that mid-majors get their best players ripped off by big schools with big NIL consortiums? I don't.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

Schools cannot pay NIL money. That has to come from outside sources. (boosters)

Do you really like the fact that rosters do a fruit-basket turnover every year? Do you like the fact that mid-majors get their best players ripped off by big schools with big NIL consortiums? I don't.

Im really enjoying the current climate of college basketball and the transferring is really making it interesting to me.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, GreenTiger said:

I thought having SD State and FIU in the final four was pretty awesome 

I did too. How many of their players with eligibility remaining will they keep when the schools with the big pockets come after them?

It was Florida Atlantic in the final four, not Florida International (FIU). Somewhere here on the recruiting forum it's mentioned that AU is after an FIU star and we're bringing a pile of money. Do you think that's good? Fair?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lotto said:

Im really enjoying the current climate of college basketball and the transferring is really making it interesting to me.

If you're an Auburn fan, that's because we have enough money to hold on to the players we want to keep. If you're a fan of the AU women's team, which apparently lacks such financial backing, then this isn't much fun at all.

I don't like any system in which success is founded on who can buy the best athletes. The NFL and NBA have a draft. Colleges don't even have the protection of a draft.

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

22 minutes ago, Lotto said:

You must be a pro sports fan.

9 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Nice assumption! Wrong 

12 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Sorry if that was a bit harsh sounding.  No man I really love auburn basketball especially and football and saints a third.  I can’t watch nba outside of Kessler and Jabari highlights 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mikey said:

If you're an Auburn fan, that's because we have enough money to hold on to the players we want to keep. If you're a fan of the AU women's team, which apparently lacks such financial backing, then this isn't much fun at all.

I don't like any system in which success is founded on who can buy the best athletes. The NFL and NBA have a draft. Colleges don't even have the protection of a draft.

If you are looking for weakness’s in cb then it’s the officiating and not the portal that is killing the sport. Boarder line un watchable  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, GreenTiger said:

If you are looking for weakness’s in cb then it’s the officiating and not the portal that is killing the sport. Boarder line un watchable  

The refs at the women's championship game are the worst I've ever seen. They took what should have been a showcase game for players, coaches and fans of college basketball and absolutely ruined it.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, toddc said:

Would be interesting to see how it fits or plays with Broome getting 75% of the minutes at the 5

Might be able to go big with him at 4 along with Broome.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Would be interesting to see how it fits or plays with Broome getting 75% of the minutes at the 5

27 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Or broom at the 4.  I honestly think that might be best for broome just due to how big centers are in the NBA.  What’re y’all’s thoughts about that?

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Is he athletic enough to play there? He shot 8% from 3.  Not sure he fits a role at 4

6 minutes ago, Lotto said:

Or broom at the 4.  I honestly think that might be best for broome just due to how big centers are in the NBA.  What’re y’all’s thoughts about that?

Most have said Broome isn't athletic enough to play 4.

38 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

1 of he or Dylan may not return. It's likely but not 100% both will return per a reputable insider on the bunker FWIW.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Is he athletic enough to play there?

As an on bal defender, nope, especially in space.

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

1 of he or Dylan may not return. It's likely but not 100% both will return per a reputable insider on the bunker FWIW.

If Broome leaves Ilford the NBA its a no doubter we need the kid.

If Dylan leaves you're asking a All Conf player yo transfer in and be a back up and get 10-12 minutes behind Broome. I'll take it, but a hard sell for us 

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Anyone know if we going after Hunter Dickinson,  the big Center from Michigan?

I assume we're going after the other center bc he's a freshman vs a Sr.  If Broome is here next year we have 2 centers and one of these kids will not be a primary starter.

The kid from Marshall could always be sold as a starter in 24-25 after Broome leaves.

16 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I assume we're going after the other center bc he's a freshman vs a Sr.  If Broome is here next year we have 2 centers and one of these kids will not be a primary starter.

The kid from Marshall could always be sold as a starter in 24-25 after Broome leaves.

I could see that. I would expect this young man to take minutes away from Cardwell.  Also some from Broome just so Broome is fresher throughout the game. If this young man is quicker than Broome could also be some opportunity for him as a 4 especially to help on the boards. 

1 hour ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Anyone know if we going after Hunter Dickinson,  the big Center from Michigan?

@NWALA Tiger Haven't seen anything yet FWIW.

2 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I could see that. I would expect this young man to take minutes away from Cardwell.  Also some from Broome just so Broome is fresher throughout the game. If this young man is quicker than Broome could also be some opportunity for him as a 4 especially to help on the boards. 

Right, Cardwell is essentially Broome back up.  They aren't on the court together very often.  Bromme played 26.5 min/game and Cardwell 13.4