Geriner Could Start at QB

AU-24

https://flywareagle.com/2023/02/27/freshman-win-auburn-football-qb-battle/amp/

Red-shirt freshman Holden Geriner, deemed the forgotten man in the room, could win the Auburn football quarterback battle this spring — this at least according to Dawgs Daily recruiting analyst Connor Jackson.

Jackson even went as far as to say that Geriner has an NFL arm:

• Like 5

I like Geriner a lot. Came in with a lot of hype. But who the heck is Connor Jackson? 😅

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

I like Geriner a lot. Came in with a lot of hype. But who the heck is Connor Jackson? 😅

For some reason, I didn’t realize he picked up his fourth star before coming to Auburn. I thought he was just a three star QB out of HS. There was another poster on here, I forget his name, but he said word around campus is, if Geriner doesn’t get hurt in spring practice, he’ll be the starter heading into the summer. I have no inside info on that, just repeating what that poster wrote.

• Like 2

lets not forget this is a new system for him. i have read a couple of times or heard on one of the videos he needs to catch up on some stuff. and that is not to say he will not. freeze has been pretty high on him. the spring this year is all about teaching. sure you can catch the coaches eye with some decent play but the real battle i believe will begin in the fall. but i will be behind whomever is named QB.i hate that any qb that loves auburn might not make the cut.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

lets not forget this is a new system for him.

It's a new system for all of them. I think this helps Geriner in the competition. The others have to learn a new system too.

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, Mikey said:

It's a new system for all of them. I think this helps Geriner in the competition. The others have to learn a new system too.

good point.

I like HG's arm. If he is going to be the dude..he needs to be vastly superior in terms of passing accuracy and decision making than Robby. I say this because there is a huge loss in mobility and the run game would take a hit as well with not having Robby as an option. With all that said, I expect him to be right in the thick of things come fall. 

"(Insert Name Here) could be Auburn's starting QB."

Damn I need to start a CFB blog and monetize saying absolutely nothing for clicks

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

27 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Damn I need to start a CFB blog and monetize saying absolutely nothing for clicks

You can take it one step further as most of these lops do....

"Breaking.....H. Geriner to be named AU's starting QB".....continue to article

Holden Geriner is a QB on AU's team therefor it is possible that he might be named the starter

I don't know how many different writers and articles I have seen with some click bait title just to get views to a horrific opinion piece.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I like HG's arm. If he is going to be the dude..he needs to be vastly superior in terms of passing accuracy and decision making than Robby. I say this because there is a huge loss in mobility and the run game would take a hit as well with not having Robby as an option. With all that said, I expect him to be right in the thick of things come fall. 

I agree, but if he is unable to complete more than 49% (RA)of his passes, we are in deep trouble. I want him to win the job, but I also believe there will be specific packages for RA to run. As I stated in another post, if TJ wins the job, I just don’t see much improvement from how we looked last year. 

if i am not mistaken robby was hurt his senior year. then he went to the ducks and played baseball. so he comes in to auburn with a two year layoff and people forget he is rusty. i think he will make the biggest jump of all the qb's. for the record i have no favorite i just want a winner. i mean i hear tj is tearing it up so this is a fun time of year to see how things shake out. and i am guessing here but i believe our coaches can plan around whomever is startings strengths and weaknesses. but i also think even with just an ok qb we still have a decent season and a bowl game. for the record i am not an expert but at the moment i have a mighty buzz going.

7 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Some have been practicing for this for awhile now!! (Me included)

3 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

if i am not mistaken robby was hurt his senior year. then he went to the ducks and played baseball. so he comes in to auburn with a two year layoff and people forget he is rusty.

He only played baseball when football wasn't playing or practicing. He was on football scholarship at Oregon and was first and foremost a member of the football team. Last season was his third as a college QB and that completion percentage should have been better.

I hope Robby lights it up in spring practice and goes on to a great passing season but that would be something new for him. His high school stats weren't that great either.

Edited by Mikey
  • Like 4

I hope the Geriner hype is legit but till I hear Feeze hyping him after a practice it is just rumour. 

• Like 2

Just now, AuburnNTexas said:

I hope the Geriner hype is legit but till I hear Feeze hyping him after a practice it is just rumour. 

i believe he said he liked what he saw on tape but he wanted to watch him person is all i remember him saying. but i do believe whomever it is we will be better at qb than we were last year even if robby gets the job. we have three great qb coaches so i expect us to be way better.

• Like 1

I heard the same comments from two different internet sites who said the players themselves said, if we had an OL last year Holden would have started he is by far the most accurate.

Coach Freeze said the number one thing he wants in a QB is .....accuracy, mobility was fourth on the list.  You see thats because bama, georgia, and LSU have won fistfuls of championships and none of their QBs had the last name Newton.  Mobility is WAY over rated.  Or perhaps you would rather have Milrose than Joe Burrow??

Holden has a big arm, but who cares, its his accuracy and his reading of progressions that gives me the jimmies.  And once he had scanned his progressions, the ball is out of his hands in a Dan Marino second.  

He is perfect for a Freeze offense.

I read the stories about he is so behind, they had a 20 minute viewing window of them mostly throwing in drills.....and he is way behind???????

But given a perfect world, Id love to see him get a year behind McCall.  That just went away after he could not transfer.  He was 31 credits short of graduating, very doable in spring and summer.  Nick Marshall came in the fall and he was not too shabby.  McCall has four years experience not like he is coming out of HS.  

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, trinidad tiger said:

I heard the same comments from two different internet sites who said the players themselves said, if we had an OL last year Holden would have started he is by far the most accurate.

Coach Freeze said the number one thing he wants in a QB is .....accuracy, mobility was fourth on the list.  You see thats because bama, georgia, and LSU have won fistfuls of championships and none of their QBs had the last name Newton.  Mobility is WAY over rated.  Or perhaps you would rather have Milrose than Joe Burrow??

Holden has a big arm, but who cares, its his accuracy and his reading of progressions that gives me the jimmies.  And once he had scanned his progressions, the ball is out of his hands in a Dan Marino second.  

He is perfect for a Freeze offense.

I read the stories about he is so behind, they had a 20 minute viewing window of them mostly throwing in drills.....and he is way behind???????

But given a perfect world, Id love to see him get a year behind McCall.  That just went away after he could not transfer.  He was 31 credits short of graduating, very doable in spring and summer.  Nick Marshall came in the fall and he was not too shabby.  McCall has four years experience not like he is coming out of HS.  

I am not sure about mobility being overrated. Joe, Stetson and Bryce can all beat u with their legs. I wouldn’t exactly call them statues back there. From what I have seen all these new age quarterbacks are pretty mobile . Biggest example look at the super bowl. Yes they have the ability to throw but they can also use their legs 

Edited by e808
  • Like 5

Mobility means we can't run our offense. We have spent several years now basically depending on a mobile QB to create offense and the results have been absolute inconsistency. 

Here, Bo Nix was running for his life and slinging the ball up in desperation for the occasional big play, but as often a turnover. He went to Oregon and is running an actual offense where his passing skills are most valuable. Ashford was basically only relevant last year when the defense missed a tackle after the play broke down. At no point at all last season did I ever feel a defense worrying about Robby Ashford, especially when he was throwing ducks on two and three yard screen passes. 

We hired Harsin to build an organized offense in the wake of a chaotic and hapless Malzahn mess. Harsin ran off the only QB talent we had and the results looked very Gus like. Hugh Freeze does not strike me as a guy who will make that mistake. If he can build Robby into an effective passer, than Robby will be our QB. If not, I seriously doubt Hugh Freeze came here to run the option...even given the talent limitations we have. 

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 1

2 minutes ago, aucom96 said:

Mobility means we can't run our offense. We have spent several years now basically depending on a mobile QB to create offense and the results have been absolute inconsistency. 

Here, Bo Nix was running for his life and slinging the ball up in desperation for the occasional big play, but as often a turnover. He went to Oregon and is running an actual offense where his passing skills are most valuable. Ashford was basically only relevant last year when the defense missed a tackle after the play broke down. At no point at all last season did I ever feel a defense worrying about Robby Ashford, especially when he was throwing ducks on two and three yard screen passes. 

We hired Harsin to build an organized offense in the wake of a chaotic and hapless Malzahn mess. Harsin ran off the only QB talent we had and the results looked very Gus like. Hugh Freeze does not strike me as a guy who will make that mistake. If he can build Robby into an effective passer, than Robby will be our QB. If not, I seriously doubt Hugh Freeze came here to run the option...even given the talent limitations we have. 

speaking of gus i read where he is turning over play calling abilities again. i guess folks are grumbling at ucf now.

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, e808 said:

I am not sure about mobility being overrated. Joe, Stetson and Bryce can all beat u with their legs. I wouldn’t exactly call them statues back there. From what I have seen all these new age quarterbacks are pretty mobile . Biggest example look at the super bowl. Yes they have the ability to throw but they can also use their legs 

I don’t know if the new generation QBs are bred to be mobile , but what I will say is generally speaking , the NFL best has QBs whom seemingly somewhat more mobile than not. I am sure someone will throw out Kirk Cousins or Tom Brady.

However, the top 12 QBs in the NFL last year , four would be consider more statues than anything. The other 8 definitely were more respectable with their feet. Now obviously the goal is to rely on your arm and utilize your feet when needed. If your legs are your best asset because you aren’t confidence in your ability to complete passes then that spells trouble. This is why freeze has mentioned several times over he does like his QB to be able to move some. 

• Like 2

Also, I believe HG fits that bill. He had some escapability last year from the little I seen. I think he has a great chance. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, aucom96 said:

We hired Harsin to build an organized offense in the wake of a chaotic and hapless Malzahn mess. Harsin ran off the only QB talent we had and the results looked very Gus like. Hugh Freeze does not strike me as a guy who will make that mistake. If he can build Robby into an effective passer, then Robby will be our QB. If not, I seriously doubt Hugh Freeze came here to run the option...even given the talent limitations we have. 

Mobility has enabled more to run the offense to me than not. For example look at the SEC West pretty much every team outside of MSU u had to account for the quarterback taking off. If a quarterback can be efficient at both it gives defenses problems. Lastly take pre Dak before the injury he was hard to figure out because of the ability to do both. Since the injury they have him trying to be more of a pocket guy and it isn’t working well for him.

Holden is the most prototypical pro style QB on Auburn's roster.  TJ is probably 2nd and Robby 3rd.  Harsin didn't do Holden any favors putting him out there last year behind that Oline.  Jay G was pretty adamant yesterday in the post Tennessee brain drain that he believes McCall will be Auburn's QB next season.  Apparently a lot of the grade stuff goes away if he graduates this semester and comes over as a graduate transfer.  I'm confident Freeze can make any of Auburn's QBs at least decent if the Oline is able to provide any sort of protection.  It sounds like night and day already based on what everyone is reporting.  

• Like 6