2/28/23 Auburn Articles

aubiefifty

Hugh Freeze shares first thoughts on QBs following opening day of spring practice

Taylor Jones
~2 minutes

The day that head coach Hugh Freeze and Auburn fans alike have waited for has finally arrived…  it is officially spring football time.

One of the many questions surrounding Auburn football this spring is the quarterback battle between Holden Geriner, T.J. Finley, and incumbent Robby Ashford. Fans expect to see a change in the lineup or an improvement in skills from those three candidates, but what needs to be done?

Buy Tigers Tickets

Freeze got his first chance to truly evaluate the position on Monday, and shared his genuine assessment of what he saw with the media.

“I thought our quarterbacks threw some decent balls, at times, and other times where our mechanics were really bad,” Freeze said following Monday’s spring practice opener. “But I kind of expected that.”

Freeze said earlier this month that it was difficult to evaluate Auburn’s returning options because of the inadequate time they had in the pocket last season. Auburn now has a revamped offensive line, which may solve some of the issues. Freeze also has two great consultants on staff in offensive coordinator Philip Montgomery and quality control analyst Kent Austin that will aid in the effort of finding ways to improve each quarterback.

Despite the less-than-ideal start to the spring for Auburn’s quarterbacks, Freeze says that their attitude towards improving leaves him feeling optimistic.

“If they’ll keep giving the same energy and effort that they gave today, we’ll get better throughout spring,” Freeze said.

Auburn will continue their spring practice on select dates from now until Saturday, April 8, when the annual A-Day game is set to take place.

Auburn Football: Tigers' 2023 Spring Preview

Steven Lassan
6–7 minutes

Spring practice always renews optimism across college football for all 133 FBS teams, and that's certainly the case at Auburn as a new era begins under coach Hugh Freeze. After the puzzling hire of Bryan Harsin and getting dismissed after less than two years on the job, Freeze is tasked with elevating Auburn back among the best in the SEC. The Tigers won't return to the top of the conference overnight, but there's enough returning talent and help from the portal to expect a bowl in Freeze's debut. This spring is Freeze's first in-depth look at the roster, and after an active period of mining the transfer portal for help for the first open period, don't be surprised if this staff once again looks for additional help later this offseason. 

Auburn returns 11 starters, and this spring is all about addressing some major needs on both sides of the ball. Provided the offensive line finds the right mix after basically a complete overhaul, the one-two punch of Jarquez Hunter and Brian Battie should be an effective ground attack for the Tigers. The bulk of last year's defense returns, but a couple of key cogs must be replaced up front. Restocking both lines of scrimmage and finding more consistency at quarterback top the priority list for Freeze and his new staff for '23.

5 Storylines to Watch During Auburn's Spring Practices

1. The Quarterbacks
The starting job is Robby Ashford's to lose after he handled the offense over the final nine games of '22. The Oregon transfer showed flashes of potential last year, throwing for 1,613 yards and seven touchdowns and rushing for 709 yards and seven scores. However, Ashford's completion percentage (49.2) and yards per attempt (6.5) leave room for improvement. Freeze and offensive coordinator Philip Montgomery both have a track record of developing quarterbacks, so there's optimism for Ashford to take a big step forward. 

While Ashford is the front-runner, the new staff needs to get a look at the development of redshirt freshman Holden Geriner and junior T.J. Finley this spring. And depending on how things play out here this spring, Auburn could dip into the transfer market for another quarterback addition when the portal opens in late April.

Related: Pre-Spring SEC Quarterback Rankings for 2023

2. Rebuilding the Offensive Line
Although all of the spring attention is likely to be directed to the quarterbacks, the offensive line is just as big of a concern. The Tigers lost six key contributors from last year's unit, which also struggled at times (30 sacks allowed). Just one player - guard Kameron Stutts (seven) - qualifies as a returning starter by Athlon's metrics. 

Considering the turnover here, finding help through the portal was critical. Freeze accomplished that by adding three potential starters in Dillon Wade (Tulsa), Gunner Britton (Western Kentucky) and Avery Jones (East Carolina). Junior college recruit Izavion Miller is another player to watch. 

How fast will the newcomers mesh? And will the coaching staff feel confident in a starting five exiting the spring?

3. Developing the Receiving Corps
Given last year's inconsistency in the passing game, it's hard to pin all of the problems on the receiving corps. However, this unit had its share of struggles last season. No Auburn wide receiver caught more than 26 passes, while the longest reception (62 yards) came from a running back (Jarquez Hunter).

Although better overall play and consistency are needed here, the cupboard is far from bare. Ja'Varrius Johnson (26 catches), Koy Moore (20), Camden Brown (nine), Omari Kelly (three), Tar'Varish Dawson (two) and Cincinnati transfer Nick Mardner provide the quarterbacks with capable options. Also, keep an eye on the addition of FIU transfer Rivaldo Fairweather (28 catches for 426 yards last year) at tight end.

Related: Grading Auburn's Hire of Hugh Freeze

4. Restocking the Defensive Trenches
New coordinator Ron Roberts inherits a group that allowed 29.5 points a game last season and ranked 10th in the SEC by giving up 5.5 yards per play. With eight returning starters, there's a good foundation in place for the new staff. But some of the unit's biggest departures came up front. 

Gone from last year's group are edge rusher Derick Hall (first-team All-SEC in 2022), end Colby Wooden (11.5 TFL), edge Eku Leota (five TFL), and end Marcus Bragg (three TFL). Tackles Marcus Harris (6.5 TFL) and Jayson Jones are back and should take the lead as key cogs for '23. 

Similar to the offensive front, Freeze hit the portal hard for help here. Transfers Justin Rogers (Kentucky), Elijah McAllister (Vanderbilt), Lawrence Johnson (Purdue), and Mosiah Nasili-Kite (Maryland) add needed depth and talent to the front. This spring is key for sophomore Dylan Brooks and freshman Keldric Faulk to start the push for snaps in '23.

The transfer additions were a huge overall boost to this group. Can Roberts find the right mix this spring? And will the Tigers find a couple of players who can replace the production of Hall and Wooden in terms of disruption and generating negative plays?

Related: College Football's Top Quarterbacks on the Rise for 2023

5. Finding Answers at Linebacker
The story of high-profile losses in the defensive front continued at linebacker this offseason with Owen Pappoe departing for the NFL. Although Pappoe was a standout, the rest of this group didn't play at that same level and left plenty to improve upon in '23. 

Cam Riley (66 tackles) and Wesley Steiner (46) are back as key contributors, and a pair of transfers in Austin Keys (Ole Miss) and DeMario Tolan (LSU) provide reinforcements and competition.

247sports.com

Jaylin Simpson sticks at safety, where 'he can be a Sunday player'

Nathan King
4–5 minutes

AUBURN, Alabama — Jaylin Simpson may have found a permanent home in Auburn’s secondary, and it’s a role the coaching staff has good reason to believe he’ll thrive in.

The redshirt senior worked with the safeties on Day 1 of Auburn spring practice Monday, and defensive backs coach Zac Etheridge confirmed during a chat with reporters the next day that Simpson, who was a starting cornerback early last season, is now working solely at safety after playing the position late in the year in 2022 due to injuries.

And Etheridge is extremely high on the type of player Simpson could be on the back end of Auburn’s defense.

“I think Simp has found himself a home,” Etheridge said. “I think he's an elite player — that if he holds onto everything that goes in football off the field, he can be a Sunday player. Just seeing his range, his athleticism, his ability to play man-to-man in the slot, the things that he can do, he can tackle well. So, his upside at that position is through the roof if he embraces it and studies the game like he should, I think he'll be a Sunday pick.”

After injuries in Auburn’s final month of the 2022 season to Zion Puckett, then Donovan Kaufman, Simpson slid back from his cornerback spot and started the final four games of the season for Auburn at safety. He shined in that role, with two interceptions and four pass breakups during that stretch.

He had become Auburn’s No. 3 cornerback, after Oregon transfer D.J. James emerged into one of the best coverage players in the SEC over the course of the year. But when a void needed to be filled, Simpson approached it with a positive mindset, Etheridge said, and was rewarded with a productive finish to his fourth year in the program.

“I think the one thing, any time you change positions it's always a little anxiety on what's my role?” Etheridge said. “... For him it was just a veteran move for him. The biggest thing is buy-in. He bought into what the team needed him at that position and he took it and ran with it. You can see that as the season went on he got better and better, and now I think he found himself that home that he can come out every day and control the defense.”

It certainly seems Simpson is one of, if not Auburn’s top choice at safety, even with Puckett and Kaufman being returning starters. Etheridge said Kaufman will be competing at the nickel spot, also known as “star” in new coordinator Ron Roberts’ defense, along with returning starter Keionte Scott.

The spot isn’t a new one for Simpson, who was recruited to play safety as a 4-star athlete from Saint Simons Island, Georgia, in the 2019 class. He also was a state championship-winning quarterback, which Etheridge said can be helpful experience for being a safety.

“He was a quarterback in high school and now he's coming in at a position where he has to make the checks on the back end,” Etheridge said. “Which way are we rotating? Who's getting lined up? Where are the guys going? So I think it just made him more comfortable in being able to take control of the defense.”

Etheridge is coaching Auburn’s safeties and nickels, while new assistant Wesley McGriff — on his third stint with the program — oversees cornerbacks.

Auburn returns to the practice field Wednesday.

• Thanks 1

Joseph Goodman: Auburn should park its ice-cold Cadillac out front

Updated: Feb. 28, 2023, 9:10 a.m.|Published: Feb. 28, 2023, 9:07 a.m.
6–7 minutes

Hugh Freeze spoke with reporters in Auburn on Monday, and I’m hoping he’s going to be a great coach on the Plains, but I was more interested in the face of the program on the first day of spring practice.

That’d be Carnell Williams, the assistant coach like no other in the SEC.

I keep thinking about those four weeks in November last year, and I know that I’m not alone in that fact. They were so special, Auburn’s month with Williams serving as interim head coach, and I hope that the transformational magic that Williams conjured remains with the Tigers into this new era of football. Auburn needs a permanent, iconic symbol marking the union of Freeze and Williams, though.

RELATED: Hugh Freeze assesses the good and bad from spring practice

RELATED: Auburn operating without a depth chart this spring

GOODMAN: Kevin Steele is back to haunt Auburn

GOODMAN: Cadillac inspired Auburn with powerful message

Like, hear me out on this, OK? The new football mansion at Auburn is nice, but how the Tigers don’t have a classic drop-top Cadillac permanently parked outside its gleaming practice facility is beyond me. An ice-cold Caddy feels like a metaphorical opportunity missed for a place leaning into puns like “Freeze warning.”

It’s the best of both themes. Combine them. Ride it all the way to the top of the SEC. Could someone please make this happen already? Freeze is the new head coach, but Auburn’s heart is Williams. The combination of both, potentially, could be what allows Auburn to stand out in an already crowded SEC that’s adding Texas and Oklahoma in 2024.

Maybe I’m expecting too much from an assistant coach, but there aren’t many figures in college football today more beloved than the former Auburn running back who served his school with such distinction at the end of the 2022 season as interim head coach. Two of those coaches are at Auburn’s principal rivals, which explains a lot about where the Tigers find themselves going into 2023. Practice for the fall is already here, and Auburn is at an important crossroads for its future. This time, the Tigers have to get it right, or the traditional SEC power could find itself permanently slipping down the pecking order of the league.

Getting it right at Auburn means bringing in players who can compete against Alabama and Georgia. It’s as simple as that, but there isn’t a greater challenge in college football today. The bar doesn’t get any higher than trying to recruit against Kirby Smart’s Georgia, the back-to-back reigning national champ, and Nick Saban’s Alabama, which just pulled in one of the stronger recruiting classes in college football history.

We know what happens when Auburn gets it wrong. Things go bad in a hurry, and a lot of reporters on the Auburn beat still have the hats to prove it.

Former Auburn coach Bryan Harsin, who, yes, once threw hats to reporters covering his team, was a disaster in every way, but there was a silver lining to come out of his firing last October. It was Williams, who so unexpectedly captured the attention of everyone in the SEC with his ability to make us all so quickly forget about the Bum From Boise.

Auburn wanted to fire Harsin before the spring of 2022, but we all know how badly that went down. Half the fan base defended Harsin, half the fan base understood he needed to go and everyone on the outside looking in knew that Harsin had no chance before his first practice of the fall.

Harsin couldn’t recruit in the Deep South, and he didn’t want to put in the work to learn. When NIL came around, he rejected it as some kind of plague. Now look at Auburn. They’re doing it right. Everywhere you look, the athletics department is advertising the NIL collective “On To Victory.”

There is hope again, and it started with Williams.

It’s going to take something different at Auburn to win in this new SEC, and Williams certainly represents a drastic change in positivity and unity for the Tigers compared to this time last year. Harsin split Auburn down the middle, but Williams put Auburn back together. I’ll never forget what he did for Auburn, and I don’t think anyone else will either.

Anyone would have been better than Harsin, but only one person in the world could have brought Auburn together with such talent and grace, and that was Cadillac. I think the wins are coming with Freeze, who understands the heartbeat of the SEC better than anyone. Having a celebrity assistant sets Auburn apart from its rivals, and so that should give Auburn a unique edge in recruiting.

Everything Williams touched in November 2022 turned to gold, and the new energy that he pumped into Auburn can be a major springboard going into the brave new world that will be college football in 2024. It’s not that I’m looking past the 2023 season for Auburn, it’s just that I know Freeze and the Tigers are already preparing for the future. Auburn needs a top 10 recruiting class in 2024 and the framework is being put into place for that to happen.

Auburn’s practice was open to the media for 20 minutes on Monday. They let reporters watch individual drills, and so I camped out with the running backs and watched Williams teach his position players the fundamentals of lining up properly and preparing their feet for blocks. In the 2022 Iron Bowl, Auburn rushed for more yards (318) against Alabama than any other team since Nick Saban has been with the Crimson Tide.

Something tells me that Auburn will be running a lot more in 2023.

The ride with this ice-cold Cadillac is just beginning. Please park it at the front door.

Joseph Goodman is the lead sports columnist for the Alabama

• Thanks 1

Hugh Freeze prioritizing equal reps, ‘no depth chart’ for Auburn this spring

Published: Feb. 28, 2023, 8:30 a.m.
4–5 minutes

Before Auburn stepped foot on the practice field at the new Woltosz Football Performance Center on Monday afternoon for its first day of practice under Hugh Freeze, the Tigers’ new head coach made one thing abundantly clear: Day 1 of spring meant a clean slate for everyone across the roster.

There were no preconceived notions with the new coaching staff, no established pecking order, either. The ensuing six weeks were going to be about development and evaluation, so when the Tigers met in the team meeting room before their first day of practice, Freeze’s message was clear.

“I mean this: There is no depth chart,” Freeze said.

Read more Auburn football: What Hugh Freeze said after Day 1 of Auburn spring practice

Observations from Day 1 of Auburn spring practice

Projecting Auburn’s depth chart at the start of spring practices

Auburn’s first-year coach has no intentions of keeping a real-time depth chart over the course of the team’s 15 spring practices. Things will start to sort themselves out after spring, when coaches have a full complement of practices and scrimmages to fully evaluate each position.

“We won’t narrow down the reps in spring,” Freeze said. “We will in fall. We have to. But in spring, we won’t.”

And since there’s no evolving depth chart over the next six weeks, Freeze intends to distribute reps as evenly as possible throughout the roster — including at quarterback, where Robby Ashford, T.J. Finley and Holden Geriner are trying to position themselves on the inside track for the starting job this fall.

That was apparent on Day 1, when Auburn “two-spotted” the quarterback position to maximize reps for each player. During the 20-minute window that was open to the media on Monday afternoon, Auburn had the quarterbacks working in pairs and throwing split routes to wide receiver tandems. Ashford and Finley were paired together for one set of reps, while Geriner was paired with walk-on Sawyer Pate.

RELATED: Five position battles to keep an eye on this spring

“At some point, all three are going to have to be the guy to lead the football team — and lead not only on the field, but off the field, in the locker room, decision making, accuracy, taking care of the ball; all of those things,” Freeze said. “To this point, the thing I’ve really liked is, man, if the meeting is at 2:30, they’re there at 2:15 saying, ‘Can we start early? Can we go?’ They’re wanting to learn.”

While there is no firm depth chart being tracked this spring, Day 1 of practice still offered a familiar hierarchy at several positions. Established veterans on offense and defense repped in their expected groupings — like cornerbacks Nehemiah Pritchett and D.J. James, wide receivers Ja’Varrius Johnson and Koy Moore, and running back Jarquez Hunter, just to name a few—while some key new additions to the roster also found themselves in the mix for first-team rotations. That included the likes of transfer offensive linemen Dillon Wade, Gunner Britton and Avery Jones, as well as wide receiver transfer Nick Mardner, among others.

However, Freeze cautioned not to read too much into those personnel groupings, especially this early into the spring.

“We’re going to rotate some people,” Freeze said. “…I don’t care what group you trot out with on the field right now; I don’t have in my mind that this is a first-team, a second-team, a third-team guy. You’re going to get the reps, and we’re going to rotate different people in with this group that runs out there and grade every single rep of it and kind of figure out where we are after spring.

“But (I) really just believe that everybody’s going to get equal reps in the spring and develop some depth, at least, before we decide where everybody is in the pecking order of depth charts.”

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

• Thanks 1

New Auburn football coaching staff working on building chemistry

Mark Murphy
3–4 minutes

AUBURN, Alabama–With new coordinators, a new offensive system and a new defensive system being led by a new head coach, the Auburn football program is in the early stages of transition as the Tigers prepare for the 2023 season.

Members of Coach Hugh Freeze’s staff have said one of the major themes in the month of February has been building bonds with their fellow coaches and getting on the same page with terminology and what they want to teach their players.

“I think chemistry’s incredibly important,” Freeze said after Auburn’s first spring practice at the new Woltosz Performance Center that was opened in December.

I like our staff a lot, and I think we have good chemistry,” he said. “Are we where we want to be as far along as would like to be? Probably not because we just had such a short window to try to decide exactly what are we going to try to do this spring/

“We have coaches from a lot of different staffs and backgrounds, and now we have got to melt all this together and try to be all on the same page and one voice,” Freeze said. “The last thing you want is kids hearing from too many voices that are not saying the same thing and so I think it is vital that they see we have chemistry.

“I think they do that,” said Freeze, who made the move back to the Southeastern Conference after previous stops at Ole Miss and then at Liberty University.

“I think they see that when we say this is our expectation, I think the coaches have a clear understanding that that’s a non-negotiable for me, that has to be everybody,” he said.

11600312.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320 Hugh Freeze has the assignment of rebuilding an Auburn program that has suffered through back-to-back losing seasons. (Photo: Todd Van Emst / Auburn Athletics)

“It’s impossible–I firmly believe it’s impossible for me or any of the coaches to give something away that we don’t already possess. If we say this is the culture we want to portray, then we must possess it so I like our chemistry, and now we’ve got to be great teachers. We’ll see from day one to day to day three,  can we get some stuff cleaned up?”

The Tigers, who get 15 practices in the spring, will return to the field on Wednesday and Friday this week. After that they will be off a week for spring break. Auburn’s annual A-Day spring scrimmage is scheduled for Saturday, April 8th. Freeze said on Monday he hasn't decided on a format for his first spring game at Jordan-Hare Stadium, but noted that he likes the idea of going offense vs. defense with the defense starting the session with a 24-0 lead and the offense trying to score more than that total.

• Thanks 1

Hugh Freeze assesses the good, the 'really bad' from Auburn QBs on Day 1 of spring

Updated: Feb. 28, 2023, 9:11 a.m.|Published: Feb. 28, 2023, 7:00 a.m.
5–6 minutes

Hugh Freeze didn’t want to offer any sweeping judgments or single out any one player. After all, it was just Day 1 of Auburn’s first spring practice under its new head coach.

There are still months before Auburn will narrow down its quarterback battle and even consider naming a starter for the 2023 season, but Monday afforded Freeze and offensive coordinator Philip Montgomery with their first up-close look at the Tigers’ trio of returning candidates — Robby Ashford, T.J. Finley and Holden Geriner — at the most important position on the field.

Read more Auburn football: What Hugh Freeze said after Auburn’s first day of spring practices

Observations from Day 1 of Auburn spring practice

Projecting Auburn’s 2023 depth chart as spring practice begins

“I think they’re hungry,” Freeze said Monday evening after the Tigers’ first day of practice. “They want to learn a different way; they want to learn a different system. I think they all have been like a sponge in saying, ‘Just help me, coach. I want to get better. I want to be the guy.’ They’re all a little different, and we have to figure out how to play to the strengths of those guys.”

Assessing Auburn’s options at quarterback will take time. Freeze offered no sort of timetable for identifying a starter, and he emphasized that there will be no established depth chart during spring practices. He wants these 15 practices over the next six weeks to be about development for the players and an opportunity for the coaches to become familiar with their personnel as Auburn works to lay the foundation for Year 1 under Freeze.

Freeze spent Monday’s practice bouncing around from position group to position group, aiming to spend time with every unit on Day 1. While he had yet to have an opportunity to break down the film from practice when he met with the media afterward, he offered a frank assessment of the Tigers’ three quarterbacks on the first day on the field.

“I thought our quarterbacks threw some decent balls, at times, and other times where our mechanics were really bad,” Freeze said. “But I kind of expected that.”

It’s early still, and Monday was just the first day back on the field after a whirlwind offseason for Auburn’s program. Attention will be on Auburn’s quarterbacks throughout the spring, as Freeze, Montgomery and offensive analyst Kent Austin thoroughly assess the position, try to see how far each quarterback can progress over the next six weeks and determine whether the Tigers need to explore adding another quarterback in the transfer portal come May.

RELATED: Five position battles to track during Auburn spring practice

Until Monday, the new staff only had last year’s film to judge the quarterbacks on, and that only provided so much intel; it was more of an incomplete picture. As Freeze noted earlier this month, it’s hard to gauge the position when they don’t have ample time to throw in the pocket, so he didn’t want to enter spring with any preconceived notions about each quarterback. Instead, he wants to be able to evaluate them himself — with the help of Montgomery and Austin.

“I think that’s going to be invaluable for us to have those two guys who I trust a lot offensively,” Freeze said.

Each of Auburn’s quarterbacks will have to prove himself throughout the spring and into fall camp when it comes to vying for the role of QB1, and Monday was the first step in that prolonged process and evaluation period. During the 20-minute window of practice that was open to the media on Day 1, Auburn’s quarterbacks worked in pairs throwing split routes to receiver tandems. Ashford and Finley rotated together, while Geriner worked alongside walk-on Sawyer Pate. All got equal reps, according to Freeze.

While Freeze isn’t tracking a depth chart throughout the spring, the Day 1 order was a logical one. Ashford gets the benefit of the doubt as the incumbent starter, having started nine games for the Tigers last season. Finley, who won the starting job in fall camp last year, started the first three games of the season before a shoulder injury derailed his year. Geriner, a former four-star recruit, appeared in just one game while redshirting last season.

Last season, Ashford completed just 49.2 percent of his passes for 1,613 yards while throwing as many touchdowns (seven) as interceptions and running for another 709 yards and seven scores. Finley completed 62.3 percent of his passes for 431 yards, just one touchdown and four interceptions, while Geriner attempted just three passes in his lone appearance.

None of those numbers really popped, as quarterback play was one of the many issues Auburn faced during its 5-7 campaign. But Monday marked the official start of a new chapter, a fresh start for each of the returning quarterbacks in their quest to earn the starting job under a new regime.

“If they’ll keep giving the same energy and effort that they gave today, we’ll get better throughout spring,” Freeze said. “So, I’m leaving today’s practice feeling very positive and optimistic.”

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

• Thanks 1

1 intriguing storyline for each SEC team as spring camps start to open up

Connor O'Gara
12–16 minutes

We’re already underway. Shoutout to Mizzou for that.

We’ve got spring football in the SEC. That means we can officially stop looking back at 2022 and simply focus all of our attention on all things 2023, right? Eh, maybe not so much.

There are 10 new offensive coordinators in the SEC, which means there’s a ton of intrigue on that side of the ball, specifically at the quarterback position. We’ve only got a minimum of 6 teams with new starting quarterbacks, so it’s not as if there’s total offensive turnover. We’ll see plenty of situations with returning starters trying to gel with new offensive play-callers.

But of course, there are 2 sides of the ball. Three, actually. We won’t, however, be digging into any juicy special teams storylines today.

For now, these are the intriguing SEC storylines to follow as spring camp opens up:

Alabama — Ty Simpson vs. Jalen Milroe

I’d say it’s been 5 years since we had a true Alabama quarterback battle. Jalen Hurts vs. Tua Tagovailoa was a bit more notable than Simpson vs. Milroe, but the latter could be just as pivotal in determining the Tide’s national championship path. It’s Milroe who got the benefit of QB2 duties in 2022, wherein he got a start for the injured Bryce Young. Simpson, on the other hand, could benefit from being recruited by new Alabama offensive coordinator Tommy Rees when he was at Notre Dame. In all likelihood, this QB battle will last deep into fall camp, but we should get plenty of data points from the young signal-callers.

Arkansas — Not 1 but 2 new coordinators

For the first time since Sam Pittman has been a head coach, he has a change at coordinator. Two, to be exact. Kendal Briles and Barry Odom both left for new opportunities, and in stepped Travis Williams and Dan Enos. Will they be an upgrade? It’s too early to say that’ll be the case with any certainty coming off a disappointing 7-6 season in which the Hogs were a disaster defensively. Williams did well with total autonomy at UCF, who had previously struggled to have any sort of defensive consistency. That’s been the knock at Arkansas. Williams’ ability to coach up a defense that just lost arguably its top 4 players will be huge, and can Enos help KJ Jefferson take another step? Those things could define Pittman’s time in Fayetteville.

Auburn — Does Hugh Freeze believe in Robby Ashford as his QB1?

It’s no secret that Auburn was in the market for a transfer portal quarterback. There was reportedly interest in Grayson McCall and Spencer Sanders, but neither panned out. That means we’re about to get a massive spring for Ashford. Can he show enough to convince Freeze that he’s worth being the unquestioned QB1 in fall camp? Or will Ashford struggle with his accuracy and progressions and force Freeze into making a post-spring portal edition? Now would be as good a time as ever for Ashford to put it all together.

Florida — Can Billy Napier stop the bleeding and get some good vibes back?

By “stop the bleeding,” I just mean can Napier actually get some more positive developments. Losing 3 assistants in February was atypical, as was the entire Jaden Rashada saga. That’s coming off a losing season in which Anthony Richardson’s development — or lack there of — became a constant source of frustration. The Gators enter Year 2 of the Napier era with more questions than answers at a place where that typically isn’t tolerated. At least not for very long. Will Napier be active in the post-spring portal with some splashy additions? That might be the only thing that can turn around some weird vibes in The Swamp.

Georgia — Mike Bobo and the UGA QB battle

I’ll spare you another rant on Kirby Smart replacing Todd Monken with Mike Bobo and why I don’t think that’s as seamless of a transition as many expect. Bobo’s handling of this quarterback situation will be interesting. The 2022 pecking order suggests that Carson Beck will be the favorite in the clubhouse entering Year 4 in Athens. Could Brock Vandagriff or even Gunner Stockton change that? And will all 3 of those signal-callers stay? That seems like it’d be quite the feat, especially considering that all of Georgia’s potential starters have at least 3 years of eligibility left (Beck’s 2020 didn’t count against him because of COVID and he was under the 4-game threshold in 2021). Something tells me this QB battle has more promise than the Jamie Newman-JT Daniels-D’Wan Mathis mess that unfolded in UGA’s last true QB battle.

Kentucky — Restoring the Big Blue Wall

The UK offensive line was a total disaster in 2022. Will Levis took a beating, and an offense that entered the year with promise following its most prolific season since 2007 took a massive step back. So now with Liam Coen back and 2022 Preseason ACC Player of the Year Devin Leary under center, can we expect significant offensive upgrades? The offensive line could determine that. The hope is that’ll come via Tanner Bowles from Alabama and Marques Cox from Northern Illinois. It should also help that Coen just spent an entire year scheming for a Los Angeles Rams offense that was incredibly depleted on the offensive line, and Leary is known for getting rid of the ball quicker than Levis. If UK wants to get back to 2021 levels of production, the Big Blue Wall needs to live up to its name instead of being the Big Blue Gate.

LSU — Where will Harold Perkins settle in?

There’s been talk about moving Perkins to a more traditional middle linebacker role a la Devin White. You could make a case that the freshman sensation has instincts that are more conducive to that position with how quickly he moves laterally. You could also make the case that Perkins, who played almost a 50-50 split on the edge compared to in the box, is better off having the freedom to line up anywhere and harass opposing quarterbacks. The initial plan was just to get Perkins on the field by any means necessary, which meant shifting him to more of an edge rusher type role. But it’ll be interesting to see if Matt House and Co. elect to at least make Perkins more of a hybrid player who starts to get more reps in that traditional middle linebacker role.

Mizzou — Kirby Moore’s impact

Eli Drinkwitz is forking over play-calling duties for the first time as a head coach. He had to. Mizzou’s offense didn’t progress in the way many felt it should in Year 3, and concerns over the lack of a workhorse back like Larry Rountree or Tyler Badie were validated by season’s end. Moore’s job is to make Mizzou more explosive. It’s not that the Tigers are lacking talent. The well-documented arrival and subsequent usage of 5-star receiver Luther Burden was a continued topic of conversation. That’s not going anywhere. How does Moore utilize guys like Burden, Mookie Cooper and Oklahoma transfer Theo Wease? And will we see Miami transfer Jake Garcia impact the quarterback situation with Brady Cook and spring-time Mizzou pitcher Sam Horn? Moore’s mission to ignite a stagnant Mizzou offense should begin to take shape in the coming weeks.

MSU — Will Rogers is running a new offense

It’s a great opportunity for Rogers’ next-level prospects to show what he can do away from the Mike Leach version of the Air Raid. That’s not a knock on the late-MSU coach, but it’s no secret that the high volume, limited route tree of the Leach Air Raid didn’t exactly turn quarterbacks into elite prospects. More important in the short term is how Rogers helps MSU take that next step in Kevin Barbay’s offense. MSU will actually utilize tight ends and if Barbay’s recent history at Appalachian State and Central Michigan is any indication, there’ll be more offensive balance. Will we see Rogers settle in well? Or will it feel more like Nick Fitzgerald in the Joe Moorhead offense in 2018? Spring will surely be the positive spin for Rogers, but we should at least get some insight into that transition.

Ole Miss — The rare modern day QB battle

I know Ole Miss fans don’t want to hear this, but Jaxson Dart is by no means locked in as the starter. Yes, Lane Kiffin was likely going to add at least 1 transfer. The fact that he added not just Walker Howard from LSU but also 4-year Oklahoma State starter Spencer Sanders was significant, to say the least. All 3 are locked into a spring camp battle that quickly became one of the most interesting QB races in America. Sanders has far more experience than Dart, though the latter has more experience in the Kiffin offense. Dart’s up-and-down play in 2022 clearly has his long-term future as Ole Miss’ QB1 in doubt. I highly doubt a true favorite will emerge unless Dart transfers post-spring, so all signs point to this continuing deep into fall.

South Carolina — How do the Gamecocks fill some massive defensive holes?

South Carolina ranks No. 113 in FBS in percentage of returning defensive production having just lost Cam Smith (NFL), Jordan Burch (transfer) and Zacch Pickens (NFL). That is less than ideal. Despite the fact that it was a significant Year 2 jump, let’s not forget that the Gamecocks still failed to crack the top half of FBS in scoring defense after allowing 28.8 points per game. Sure, there’s promising young pieces like safety Nick Emmanwori, who led South Carolina in tackles as a true freshman, and there are sky-high expectations for 5-star freshman Nyckoles Harbor. But I’d be a touch concerned if we hear reports of the offense dominating this Gamecocks defense throughout spring ball. That seems like a strong possibility.

Tennessee — The Nico Iamaleava/Joe Milton experience

Let’s call this “the freak vs. the future.” And to be clear, I don’t believe this is a battle. You usually don’t start true freshmen quarterbacks unless it’s out of necessity, especially in the SEC. With Milton’s Orange Bowl performance, it should be understood that it’s his job to lose heading into 2023. Former Tennessee OC and new USF coach Alex Golesh praised Milton’s progression to trust his receivers and stay within the confines of the system. Will that be the key for Milton to harness that ridiculous potential? We’ll get an interesting side-by-side of the 2 with Tayven Jackson off to Indiana. All eyes will be on Iamaleava as the No. 2 quarterback in the 2023 class, but the narrow-framed signal-caller should likely have to wait his turn behind Milton.

Texas A&M — Robert. Patrick. Petrino.

We’re blessed that Jimbo Fisher settled on Bobby Petrino as his first ever offensive play-caller. The opportunity for fireworks will be there, no matter how this turns out. Petrino is an elite offensive mind, no doubt. But the dynamic between Petrino and Fisher will be must-see TV. Petrino’s spring task is developing Conner Weigman, who showed major promise in a limited 2022 sample size as a true freshman. With Ainias Smith, Evan Stewart and Moose Muhammad III all back, the dormant A&M passing game has no reason not to improve, especially with virtually the entire starting offense line back. Petrino working with 5-star talent for the first time in his career should be a fascinating dynamic as long as he’s in College Station.

Vanderbilt — Finding an Anfernee Orji replacement

Clark Lea didn’t have a whole lot of guys who could dial up pressure and get in the backfield. Hence, why the Commodores finished 120th in FBS with just 17 sacks, and they ranked 11th in the SEC in tackles for loss. Orji led the SEC with 9 tackles per game as a senior in 2022, and he had double-digit tackles for loss in 2021. In 3 consecutive years, Orji led Vandy in tackles, which was why he left his last year of eligibility on the table to head off to the NFL. There’s a significant hole in the middle of Lea’s defense, which returns just 56% of last year’s production. Who’ll be the new face of Vandy’s defense? Christian James seems like a good bet as a redshirt senior, and safety De’Rickey Wright could become the steadying presence. Vandy needs several players who can make an Orji-like impact in order to take another step in Year 3 of the Lea era.

IN PHOTOS: Auburn spring football photo gallery 1, the newcomers

ByJason Caldwell Feb 27, 5:47 PM
  •  
  •  
  •  

We got our first look at the Auburn Tigers under Hugh Freeze when they took the field on Monday for the first day of spring practices. Check out some photos from the newcomers as they got on the field for the first time in an Auburn uniform.

11645526.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320 Running back transfer Brian Battie is wearing No. 21 for the Tigers. (Photo: Jason Caldwell/Auburnundercover, 247Sports)

11645528.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320 Western Kentucky offensive tackle transfer Gunner Britton and Kam Stutts. (Photo: Jason Caldwell/Auburnundercover, 247Sports)

11645529.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320 Tight end Rivaldo Fairweather definitely looks the part. (Photo: Jason Caldwell/Auburnundercover, 247Sports)

11645530.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320 Stephen Johnson and Justin Rogers add plenty of size to the defensive line. (Photo: Jason Caldwell/Auburnundercover, 247Sports)

11645532.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320 Bradyn Joiner in his first practice with the Auburn Tigers. (Photo: Jason Caldwell/Auburnundercover, 247Sports)

11645534.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320 Ole Miss LB transfer Austin Keys is an impressive looking player for the Tigers. (Photo: Jason Caldwell/Auburnundercover, 247Sports)

11645538.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320 Mosiah Nasili-Kite and Wilky Denaud listening to coach Jeremy Garrett give instructions. (Photo: Jason Caldwell/Auburnundercover, 247Sports)

11645542.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320 True freshman DB Kayin Lee working on his technique with Wesley McGriff (Photo: Jason Caldwell/Auburnundercover, 247Sports)

11645547.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320 Connor Lew working at center for the Tigers in the spring. (Photo: Jason Caldwell/Auburnundercover, 247Sports)

11645551.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320 Big wide receiver transfer Nick Mardner with a run after the catch. (Photo: Jason Caldwell/Auburnundercover, 247Sports)

11645554.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320 Junior college OT transfer Izavion Miller looks like a legit SEC lineman. (Photo: Jason Caldwell/Auburnundercover, 247Sports)

11645556.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320 Linebacker DeMario Tolan has the length that could work well in this defense. (Photo: Jason Caldwell/Auburnundercover, 247Sports)

11645557.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320 Tulsa transfer Dillon Wade is wearing number 52 for the Tigers. (Photo: Jason Caldwell/Auburnundercover, 247Sports) 7COMMENTS

Comments (7)

Observations from Auburn’s 1st day of spring practice under Hugh Freeze

Updated: Feb. 27, 2023, 6:23 p.m.|Published: Feb. 27, 2023, 5:27 p.m.
5–6 minutes

Auburn took to the practice field Monday for the first time under head coach Hugh Freeze and for the first time officially in the team’s new digs at the Woltosz Football Performance Center.

The Tigers opened spring practice Monday afternoon, the first of 15 practices over the next six weeks leading up to the A-Day spring game on April 8. Local media were granted a 20-minute viewing period on Day 1 of practice, providing the first glimpse of the Tigers as they enter a new era under Freeze.

Read more Auburn football: Projecting Auburn’s depth chart at the start of spring practices

Five position battles to keep an eye on this spring

Auburn AD John Cohen discusses facilities plans, “priority” upgrades for Jordan-Hare Stadium

During that 20-minute period, Auburn worked on individual position drills. Like last year, media were asked not to report on any injuries or absences, personnel-wise from practice. Those will be addressed by Freeze later Monday evening, when he holds his first press conference of the spring shortly after 6 p.m.

With that being said, here are a few observations from Day 1 of spring practice:

-- The offensive line worked in three groups with position coach Jake Thornton at the start of the viewing period. The first unit, from left to right, featured Dillon Wade at left tackle, Tate Johnson at left guard, Avery Jones at center, Kameron Stutts at right guard and Gunner Britton at right tackle. It’s not a big surprise that the Tigers’ three transfer additions -- Wade (Tulsa), Jones (ECU) and Britton (WKU) -- are getting some early first-team reps.

-- The second group across the offensive line, from left to right, included walk-on Evan Richards, Jeremiah Wright, freshman Connor Lew, E.J. Harris and Izavion Miller. The third rotation saw Colby Smith, freshman Bradyn Joiner, Cort Bradley, freshman Clay Wedin and Garner Langlo.

-- Cadillac Williams worked with the running backs on footwork and ball security early in the period. Jarquez Hunter was first up in drills, followed by sophomore Damari Alston, USF transfer Brian Battie, Sean Jackson, Justin Jones and Luke Reebals.

-- The quarterbacks worked with the wide receivers and tight ends during the first portion of the viewing period. Two quarterbacks took reps simultaneously, with pairs of receivers running split routes. Robby Ashford and T.J. Finley were the first quarterback pairing, followed by redshirt freshman Holden Geriner and walk-on Sawyer Pate.

-- The first two wide receiver pairings featured Camden Brown and Ja’Varrius Johnson, and Koy Moore and Nick Mardner. FIU tight end transfer Rivaldo Fairweather also rotated in with that first group. Tar’Varish Dawson and Landen King were in the second rotation, with King working at the X-receiver spot on the outside and Dawson in the slot.

-- This should be obvious, considering he’s listed at 6-foot-6, but Mardner’s length is really noticeable out there. Fairweather, listed at 6-foot-4 and 251 pounds, is another massive target who should add a new dynamic to Auburn’s offense. Brown, who has switched from No. 17 to No. 4, looks as impressive as he did during fall camp last year. Will be interesting to track how much of a factor he becomes this offseason.

-- Jay Fair made a nice one-handed grab on a route to the sideline that garnered a reaction from offensive coordinator Philip Montgomery.

-- Wesley McGriff spent the period working with Auburn’s cornerbacks, while Zac Etheridge focused his time on the safeties. The two will work in tandem to coach the defensive backs this season, but it was interesting to see how they split their duties during this individual period.

-- Nehemiah Pritchett, D.J. James and J.D. Rhym were the first three corners up in the rotation with McGriff.

-- Jaylin Simpson and Zion Puckett led the rotation at safety with Etheridge’s group, with Cayden Bridges and Marquis Gilbert behind them. Caleb Wooden also rotated in with these pairings.

-- Josh Aldridge worked with the linebackers in pairings during the individual drills. Wesley Steiner and Eugene Asante were paired together. Cam Riley and Ole Miss transfer Austin Keys were paired. Jake Levant and Robert Woodyard Jr. were paired together. Powell Gordon and Desmond Tisdol were paired up, and LSU transfer DeMario Tolan was paired with Kameron Brown.

-- Former tight end John Samuel Shenker was in attendance at practice.

• Like 1