2/22/23 Auburn Articles

aubiefifty

auburnwire.usatoday.com

Auburn's hiring of Ron Roberts named most intruiging defenisive coordinator move in the SEC

JD McCarthy
~2 minutes

Auburn’s defense undeniably took a step back last season and Hugh Freeze has turned to Ron Roberts as the man to get Auburn back where it needs to be.

Roberts, who spent the past three seasons at Baylor, has spent over 30 years coaching defenses and his hire was the most interesting defensive coordinator hire in the SEC this offseason according to On3’s Jesse Simonton.

Buy Tigers Tickets

Roberts was fired by Baylor in December but was a major part of their success in 2021, their defense led the Big 12 in turnovers (27) and was second in sacks (44) and scoring(18.3).

The Tigers will continue to run a similar 4-2-5 scheme under Roberts, but there will be a much greater emphasis on being aggressive and creating more chaos.

Roberts is a big on havoc rate — i.e. the percentage of plays in with the defense recorded a tackle for loss, sack, forced a fumble, intercepted a pass or broke up a pass — and in his introductory press conference, he listed desire for Auburn to have “20 percent of our plays, we need to work in the havoc rate. If you’re doing that, you’re going to be in the top 20 in the country. That’s our goal coming out of the gate.”

That will be a tall task for Auburn as they were last in the SEC with 13 takeaways last season and will need to replace their two best pass rushers from last season in Derick Hall and Colby Wooden who are both headed to the NFL.

The Tigers will have several new players competing for roles as they have brought in six transfers and signed 13 freshmen this offseason to help the defense.

Contact/Follow us @TheAuburnWire on Twitter, and like our page on Facebook to follow ongoing coverage of Auburn news, notes, and opinion. You can also follow JD on Twitter @jdmccarthy15.

• Thanks 1

Best in class: The top 2023 transfer portal hauls by position

Chris Hummer

10611398.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320 (Photo: Savanna Elkins, 247Sports)

Auburn had to get better up front if it were to have a chance in Year 1 under Hugh Freeze. Last year, the Tigers were average at pass blocking (No. 62 nationally per PFF) and terrible at run blocking (No. 92 nationally). With little in the way of recruiting boons to speak of on campus, Auburn had to go heavy in the portal. And that’s exactly what Auburn did. The Tigers signed three of the top 11 offensive linemen in the transfer portal, per the 247Sports transfer rankings.

The highlight member of that group is East Carolina center transfer Avery Jones. A three-year starter for the Pirates, Jones has allowed only four sacks in his entire career. He’s a Day 1 starter for Auburn. You can likely say the same of Auburn’s two tackle adds, Tulsa’s Dillon Wade (No. 7 o-lineman) and Western Kentucky’s Gunner Britton (No. 11 o-lineman).

Wade had a host of national offers coming out of the AAC but picked Auburn where he’ll be an instant starter. Britton is very experienced entering his sixth year of college football. Britton was one of the highest-graded tackles in the G5 this season, per PFF. He’s capable of playing both the left and right tackle spots if needed.

With those three linemen in place, Auburn’s short-term trajectory in the trenches looks much more palatable for 2023.

Others Under Consideration: Michigan, Miami, Oregon, USC, SMU, Arizona State

i copied and pated this from a long article about who did well in the portal. most of the teams were not even sec.

Edited by aubiefifty
  • Like 1

auburnwire.usatoday.com

The Athletic breaks down Auburn Football's biggest question ahead of spring practice

Taylor Jones
2–3 minutes

The on-field portion of the Hugh Freeze era finally begins on Monday, Feb. 27 when Auburn takes to the practice field for spring practice.

Alongside the usual questions that come with having a new man in charge, there are several other questions that Auburn hopes to answer by the end of spring, or at least be closer to finding solutions.

Buy Tigers Tickets

Most seem to point towards the quarterback position, as Freeze has mentioned publically that he welcomes the opportunity to evaluate the position himself. Also, in that same quote, he mentions the struggle up front, which may have led to issues with Robby Ashford and T.J. Finley’s decision-making in 2022.

It seems that Auburn can improve QB play by developing a stronger offensive line, which leads to The Athletic‘s most important question surrounding Auburn ahead of spring practice.

In a piece titled “SEC football: Biggest spring practice question facing each program(sub. required)“, Seth Emerson of The Athletic points toward both lines as Auburn’s biggest question mark. He is interested to see how Auburn’s new additions fill their need.

Hugh Freeze inherits a team that lost 10 offensive or defensive linemen with starting experience, including defensive lineman Derick Hall and Colby Wooden. The Tigers reached into the portal for three offensive and four defensive linemen and have several returning players with at least some experience.

The Tigers added several players that could start game one on the offensive line, such as Avery Jones and Dillon Wade. Auburn also received defensive line help in the form of Justin Rogers and Mosiah Nasili-Kite, which will provide a boost to Dylan Brooks, Auburn’s most experienced returning defensive lineman.

Auburn’s spring practice period will conclude on Saturday, April 8, as the Tigers take the field at Jordan-Hare Stadium for the annual A-Day game.

Auburn spring preview: How the freshmen fit in

Nathan King
6–7 minutes

This time next week, football will be back on the Plains.

The first practices of the Hugh Freeze era get under way next Monday, as Auburn is set for an early start to spring ball this year. The new coaching staff will get their first chance to work with the Tigers, implement new schemes on both sides of the ball, acclimate newcomers from high school and the transfer ranks, and evaluate where the team stands as a whole and what areas of emphasis will need to be moving forward.

Things culminate April 8 with the first A-Day spring game of the Freeze era.

All week, Auburn Undercover will continue to preview a different facet of Auburn's upcoming spring practices until things get rolling on Monday — from wild-card players to freshman fits to position battles to depth charts.

Next up is a look at the Tigers’ eight early enrollee freshmen, plus a JUCO addition, and what to watch from each in fitting in with their new position rooms in the spring.

11566063.jpeg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320 (247Sports)

IOL Connor Lew 

247Sports position rank: No. 33 IOL

What to watch: Before the addition of ECU transfer Avery Jones, there was legitimate buzz that Lew might be able to compete right away for Auburn’s starting center spot. A huge flip from Miami, Lew is one of the top center prospects in the country and will look to build on an already impressive frame of 6-foot-3 and 280 pounds. While Jones will likely command first-team reps by the end of the spring, don’t count out Lew as a competitor in that room throughout practices.

IOL Clay Wedin

247Sports position rank: No. 37

Watch to watch: Coming from 2A competition in Florida, there might be an adjustment period for Wedin, but he certainly has the size to help that process along. At 6-foot-6 and 295 pounds, Wedin was recruited by Auburn as a guard but played everywhere along the line in high school. He likely won’t be pressured to contribute immediately, with Auburn returning players like Kameron Stutts and Jeremiah Wright with starting experience at guard.

IOL Bradyn Joiner

247Sports position rank: No. 42 IOL

What to watch: From Auburn High School, Joiner remained loyal with his commitment to the Tigers’ previous staff. Another center prospect, Joiner isn’t as highly rated or as athletically polished as Lew, so it may take him a couple seasons to begin impacting the depth chart.

OT Izavion Miller (JUCO)

247Sports position rank: No. 2 OT

What to watch: New Auburn offensive line coach Jake Thornton was able to flip Miller from Ole Miss, Thornton’s previous school, to Auburn, filling a huge need for experienced players at the tackle spots. A top-10 overall JUCO player in the country for the 2023 class, “Too Tall” Miller checks in at 6-foot-6 and 320 pounds. Auburn’s transfer pickups of Dillon Wade (Tulsa) and Gunner Britton (Western Kentucky) will likely be Miller’s primary competition at tackle, considering Auburn doesn’t return any players with starting experience at either tackle spot.

11571586.jpeg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320 (247Sports)

DE Keldric Faulk

247Sports position rank: No. 10 DL

What to watch: The crown jewel of Auburn’s 2023 class after flipping from Florida State, Faulk not only brings oozing talent to the Tigers’ defensive front, but he does so at a thin position group without any star power. Faulk is listed on Auburn’s roster as a Jack linebacker, the new terminology for a pure pass-rushing role, and it wouldn’t be surprising to see him competing right away for a primary spot in the rotation with redshirt sophomore Dylan Brooks and Vanderbilt transfer Elijah McAllister.

DE Wilky Denaud

247Sports position rank: No. 49 DL

What to watch: A freak athlete at 6-foot-4 and 295 pounds, Denaud was mostly an edge rusher in high school but isn’t listed with Auburn’s Jack group currently. Like Faulk, he has the size to play defensive end and the athleticism to stand up as an outside linebacker. He’s not necessarily entering a massive position of need, especially with the Tigers’ transfer portal pickups, but his strength and size for a freshman will turn some heads this spring.

DE Brenton Williams

247Sports position rank: No. 73 EDGE

What to watch: Anyone in Auburn’s pass-rusher group has an opportunity this spring. With Brooks as the only returning player, Auburn’s staff will keep their eyes open for any possible contributors, and that includes Williams, a local standout from Opelika High School. Williams won’t be pressured to step up right away if he’s not ready, but he does possess impressive speed off the edge at 6-foot-4 and 245 pounds.

DT Stephen Johnson

247Sports position rank: No. 156 DL

What to watch: A flip from Arkansas late in the recruiting cycle, Johnson adds more depth to Jeremy Garrett’s room. At 6-foot-4 and 315 pounds, he’ll likely have an opportunity to compete for the No. 3 nose tackle spot behind Kentucky transfer Justin Rogers and returnee Jayson Jones.

">247Sports

How will Auburn use Jack linebackers, and who will they be this season?

Published: Feb. 21, 2023, 3:46 p.m.
~3 minutes

FTBL: FOOTBALL

Nov 5, 2022; Starkville, MS, USA; Dylan Brooks (39) picks up the fumble for the turnover during the game between Auburn and Mississippi State at Davis Wade Stadium . Zach Bland/ AU Athletics Zach Bland/ AU Athletics

We’re taking a look at each position group as Auburn prepares to open spring practice on Feb. 27. The seventh of an 11-part series looks at the Jack linebacker.

Auburn head coach Hugh Freeze and defensive coordinator Ron Roberts will run defense with a base look of three down defensive linemen with a fourth player on the line of scrimmage in a hybrid position known as a Jack linebacker.

Derick Hall and Eku Leota, who are leaving the program for the 2023 NFL Draft, played a similar position at EDGE last season. A Jack linebacker’s primary function is rushing the passer; however, there will also be responsibilities in pass coverage.

Roberts wants the position to become an advantage. He’s used it in his defenses at Baylor for three years and succeeded. He’s hoping the recreate the success at Auburn.

Read More Auburn Football: Will Hugh Freeze’s offensive line rebuild work in 2023 at Auburn?

Rivaldo Fairweather leads a developing tight-end group at Auburn

Is Jarquez Hunter ready to be a feature running back at Auburn?

Elijah McAllister is a transfer from Vanderbilt. He racked up 65 career tackles, three forced fumbles, two fumble recoveries, an interception, and a touchdown during five seasons. He started in 12 games and played in 35. He’s listed as a Jack on the Auburn website.

Hayden Brice and Dylan Brooks are returning players in the Jack category. Brice and Brooks are talented athletes, and the Tigers need them to step up as the team seeks to replace Hall and Leota.

Projected Depth Chart: Starter: Elijah McAllister or Dylan Brooks

Hayden Brice

Brenton Williams or Keldric Faulk

Departed: Derick Hall and Eku Leota

Due to arrive in the fall: Brenton Williams and Keldric Faulk

Outlook: How this position will look depends on how Brooks and Brice develop. Auburn is losing a lot of defensive production with the departures of Hall and Leota. Auburn struggled to create negative plays last season, which has to improve. The Tigers will likely attempt to find players in the portal when the window opens after spring football.

Up Next: Linebackers

Auburn QB commit Walker White excited about Tigers' scheme, eager to learn more

Lance Dawe
3–4 minutes

The Auburn Tigers' 2024 QB commit Walker White is all about talking football, and after getting to discuss Auburn's scheme a little with Hugh Freeze and Philip Montgomery, White

White joined Zac Blackerby on the Locked On Auburn Podcast to talk about his recruitment, the new scheme, and his Breaking Bad nicknames - among other things.

Blackerby asked White how he saw himself fitting into Hugh Freeze and Philip Montgomery's system offensively.

"Whenever I was at Auburn, me, Coach Montgomery and Coach Freeze just went over the basics of the offense," White said. "We haven't really gotten deep into what they've put together. But whenever coach freeze was drawing up on the board and showing me what he likes, and what Coach Montgomery likes, I think they'll be able to use me very efficiently with me being a pocket passer."

Freeze's quarterbacks at Ole Miss were typically more pocket passer types, but his best signal callers were able to utilize their legs when asked. Malik Willis at Liberty made a living off of it.

White doesn't shy away from being called upon to run the ball under Freeze and Montgomery.

"But I also think they'll know how to run me when I need to run, because I know personally that my legs are a threat to the defense," White said. "I'm sure they will trust me on certain occasions where if they need to run me or they want to run me, then I'm all for that. But they are very spread. They'll run some 12 personnel. But I think I'll do whatever they need me to do as good as they need me to do it."

"That's just one of the exciting things about Auburn, is they can develop me and they have the tools and coaches around me to teach me and develop me in how to run their offense efficiently."

While White and the coaching staff haven't gotten a chance to sit down and truly talk out scheme, White says it's one of his favorite parts about being a quarterback.

Talking ball is what he likes to do, and any opportunity he can get to do it, he'll take.

"I loved watching Coach Freeze start drawing on the board, it was such a cool experience. One of my favorite things in the world is talking football. There's been multiple visits at different schools where I would just talk football for five hours and I'd love it. That's one of my favorite things, I love to learn. I don't know what I don't know. I'm not near as smart as I know will be just because I just don't know what I don't know. That's what I'm really excited to get into, is learning and the tiny details about the game and how to identify coverages based on certain looks. That's one part I'm very excited about with the college game, is just learning more about both sides of the ball."

Freeze talks about the rebuild needed on the lines of scrimmage

Jason Caldwell
4–5 minutes

AUBURN, Alabama—When Hugh Freeze took over the Auburn program in late November following a second-straight losing season and the firing of Bryan Harsin during the 2022 football season, there were issues at every level of the program. The biggest of those, and the most pressing need, was along the line of scrimmage, particularly on the offensive line.

Following the losses of seniors Brenden Coffey, Brandon Council, Alec Jackson, Austin Troxell, Nick Brahms and Kilian Zierer as well as the transfer of Keiondre Jones, Auburn was left with just seven scholarship offensive linemen on the roster for the 2023 season.

Before Freeze even took the job, the former Ole Miss and Liberty coach knew that was going to be the first thing that had to be addressed to give the Tigers a chance in 2023 and beyond. In just a few short weeks, Auburn added six new offensive linemen to commitments Bradyn Joiner and Clay Wedin, a pair of high school seniors. Still hoping to add one more to the group between now and the beginning of the 2023 schedule, Freeze said the situation left them with no choice other than to get to work by bringing in transfers Dillon Wade, Gunner Britton and Avery Jones along with high school signees Connor Lew, Tyler Johnson and junior college offensive tackle Izavion Miller.

“Having to sign nine offensive linemen in one class, that's never a real good plan so we have got to get that fixed,” Freeze told Auburnundercover.

It wasn’t just on the offensive line where Auburn had to get some immediate help. With the losses of top defensive linemen Derick Hall, Eku Leota and Colby Wooden along with Marquis Burks and one-year players Marcus Bragg and Morris Joseph, Jr., the lack of depth along the defensive front was just as dire because of the losses of guys like Daniel Foster-Allen, Lee Hunter, Ian Mathews and Romello Height following the 2021 season.

Having gone through the grind of the Southeastern Conference while at Ole Miss, Freeze knew they had to address those things in a big way. When Harsin was fired, Auburn had commitments from Wilky Denaud and pass rusher Ashley Williams (who later decommited and signed with Arizona State.) That was it.

Auburn added 4-star Darron Reed during the time that Cadillac Williams was running the show as the interim head coach, but the real work began when Freeze and his staff took over. 

“I know that, from my time in this league, you're just not going to compete in this league consistently without depth up front, on both sides,” Freeze said. “That was more important than anything we had in recruiting. Yeah, we had to recruit great players everywhere, but we had to get the numbers in those rooms right, and hopefully the numbers that we got are really good players.

"That remains to be seen, but it definitely was a priority," he said. "Whether it was my time in this league before or not that helped with that, I don't really know, but it certainly was a priority.”

And they showed that with the work they did in the month of December, adding transfers Justin Rogers, Lawrence Johnson, Mosian Nasili-Kite, and Elijah McAllister, junior college signee Quientrail Jamison-Travis, along with high school signees Keldric Faulk, Brenton Williams and Stephen Johnson to give Auburn DL coach Jeremy Garrett a whole lot more options in coach Ron Roberts’ defensive scheme.

• Like 1

247Sports names Auburn a winner of the coaching carousel

JD McCarthy
~3 minutes

2b029cec83d60457b7701c18e199d93d

Hugh Freeze has yet to coach a game as Auburn’s head coach but there is plenty of optimism around his tenure.

While some of this is the excitement that Bryan Harsin has been replaced and that the next head coach surely won’t be as disastrous, Brandon Marcello of 247Sports believes there was a lot to like about Auburn hiring Freeze. In fact, he named Auburn one of his winners of the coaching carousel for the hire.

Freeze, however, is the man who has proven capable of not just challenging Nick Saban but is also a threat to beat him every year — even in seasons Freeze has less talent. He did it at Ole Miss and he’ll do it again at Auburn, where talent is not in short supply. The trajectory has certainly changed for the Tigers. Freeze quickly turned Auburn into a top-5 spot in the Transfer Portal while elevating a high school recruiting class that ranked in the 60s nationally under Harsin to 17th in a matter of weeks, according to the 247Sports Composite.

While having a good head coach is important, it is equally important that he surrounds himself with good coordinators and assistant coaches. Freeze appears to have done this by retaining several stars from the previous coaching staff and bringing in his guys.

There is no better example than him retaining and promoting Cadillac Williams who helped bring Auburn’s program back to life after he was named the interim head coach to end the season. He also retained ace recruiting Zac Etheridge, who has already landed several key recruits.

The staff Freeze built is anchored by Auburn legend Cadillac Williams, who successfully lifted the Tigers out of the dirt as interim head coach in November, and veteran coordinators in former Tulsa head coach Philip Montgomery and Baylor defensive coordinator Ron Roberts, who turned down overtures from Arkansas to choose Auburn. Freeze also brought former Auburn receiver Marcus Davis home to coach receivers and hired his right-hand recruiting man at Ole Miss in 2012: secondary coach Wes McGriff.

The staff will soon have its first test as spring practice is set to start on Feb. 27 and end with the A-Day game on April 8.

More Football!

The Athletic breaks down Auburn Football's biggest question ahead of spring practice

Could Auburn add a QB from a rival program?

Auburn makes top 10 for OT target Malachi Toliver

Contact/Follow us @TheAuburnWire on Twitter, and like our page on Facebook to follow ongoing coverage of Auburn news, notes, and opinion. You can also follow JD on Twitter @jdmccarthy15.