2/21/23 Auburn Articles

aubiefifty

Report: NCAA football considering major rule change affecting passing game

John Clay
3–4 minutes

Nearly everyone agrees that college football games are taking too long to complete. Not everyone agrees about the best way to shorten the game.

Example: According to Sports Illustrated’s Ross Dellenger, the sports’ higher-ups are considering a rule change that would let the clock run after incomplete passes.

According to Dellenger, that is one of four major proposals to shorten the game. One proposal would prohibit consecutive timeouts. Another would eliminate playing an untimed down after a penalty at the end of the first and third quarters. Another would eliminate stopping the clock on first downs except in the final two minutes of the game.

As for the fourth, Dellenger writes, “In a more controversial fourth proposal, the clock will continue to run after an incomplete pass once the ball is spotted for play.”

Both college and professional football starts the clock once the ball is spotted after plays that go out of bounds. An exception is the final two minutes of the first half and the final five minutes of the second half.

But both college and the NFL stop the clock on incomplete pass with the clock restarting at the snap of the ball for the next play.

Kentucky Wildcats quarterback Will Levis (7) throws a pass down field against the Georgia Bulldogs in the first half of the game at Kroger Field in Lexington, Ky., Saturday, November 19, 2022.

Kentucky Wildcats quarterback Will Levis (7) throws a pass down field against the Georgia Bulldogs in the first half of the game at Kroger Field in Lexington, Ky., Saturday, November 19, 2022.

Back in September, NCAA Coordinator of Officials Steve Shaw said that running the clock after a made first down would not save as much time as running the clock after incompletions.

“Even though you think, ‘Man you’d save 10 seconds every first down,’ you really probably won’t,” Shaw told The Athletic. “That probably won’t have as big an impact as restarting it after incompletions.”

“College football conducted a field study last season to ascertain the impact of the proposed changes,” reports Sports Illustrated. “A running clock after a first down would eliminate about seven to nine plays per game. A running clock after an incomplete pass could eliminate more than twice that number.”

While I’m all for shortening the length of the games, I don’t think I’d be for continuing to run the clock after incomplete passes. For one thing, it takes longer for the receivers to return to the huddle after a pass play than when a team runs the football. The rule change would also affect the strategy in late-game and two-minute situations.

Dellenger says the rule changes would be for the upcoming 2023 college football season but are weeks away from being approved.

Sports Illustrated reports the average FBS game lasted three hours and 21 minutes. In 2018, the average game lasted 3 hours and 16 minutes.

Here’s the length of Kentucky football’s games in 2022:

• 3:16 - Miami of Ohio

• 3:35 - Florida

• 3:07 - Youngstown State

• 3:04 - Northern Illinois

• 3:07 - Ole Miss

• 3:04 - South Carolina

• 3:19 - Mississippi State

• 3:21 - Tennessee

• 3:29 - Missouri

• 3:09 - Vanderbilt

• 3:12 - Louisville

• 3:04 - Iowa

Again eyeing a move to the FBS, EKU aims ‘to compete at the highest level we can’

SEC will feature 10 new OCs in 2023. Did Kentucky make the best hire with Liam Coen?

Why Mitch Barnhart, UK are still in favor of an 8-game SEC schedule with Oklahoma, Texas

Where Kentucky football’s 2023 recruiting class finished in national, SEC rankings

• Thanks 1

Auburn QB commit Walker White shares how he is recruiting the 2024 class

Zac Blackerby
~2 minutes

Walker White is recruiting Auburn's 2024 class hard.

Auburn quarterback commit Walker White is very serious about recruiting the 2024 class.

The Little Rock, Arkansas native surprised the recruiting world by choosing Auburn over Clemson, Baylor, and other schools for the top quarterback's services on February 3rd.

His biggest focus since committing? Recruiting the 2024 class.

"Right now I'm just recruiting my class," White said. "I'll facetime with Coach Freeze and Coach Montgomery a couple of times a week but we are going to start getting into the offense here pretty soon. But right now it's just been me contacting the recruits."

White shared a list of 2024 players that he wanted to play with at his commitment ceremony. It sounds like he has made an impact. 

"And I've asked the coaches who are the guys that they like. Give me their numbers and I'll create these relationships."

White shared that he is recruiting around 20 players in the 2024 class right now.

"I'm doing the whole class, mainly offensive players, you know there are a few linebackers or safeties that I've been in contact with. What I'm saying is I want you to come to play with me, not against me, because I don't want those guys against me. I want them on my team."

You'll be able to hear the full conversation from White on Locked On Auburn later this week.

Engage with Auburn Daily on Socials!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

247sports.com

Auburn spring preview: How the transfers fit in

Nathan King
10–13 minutes

This time next week, football will be back on the Plains.

The first practices of the Hugh Freeze era get under way next Monday, as Auburn is set for an early start to spring ball this year. The new coaching staff will get their first chance to work with the Tigers, implement new schemes on both sides of the ball, acclimate newcomers from high school and the transfer ranks, and evaluate where the team stands as a whole and what areas of emphasis will need to be moving forward.

Things culminate April 8 with the first A-Day spring game of the Freeze era.

All week, Auburn Undercover will continue to preview a different facet of Auburn's upcoming spring practices until things get rolling on Monday — from wild-card players to freshman fits to position battles to depth charts.

We’ll get started with a look at the Tigers’ 12 transfer additions — who are all on campus after Freeze put together what 247Sports currently has rated as the No. 5 transfer haul in the country — and what to watch from each of them in fitting with their new position rooms.

OT Dillon Wade (Tulsa)

What to watch for: How much competition will there be for Wade at left tackle? Auburn’s new staff — spearheaded by Philip Montgomery, the new OC who coached Wade at Tulsa — brought in the highly touted transfer to be a pillar at left tackle. And the Tigers don’t have much in the way of returning tackle experience. It wouldn’t be far-fetched to assume Wade will get first-team reps early; his biggest competition is probably either redshirt sophomore Colby Smith or JUCO addition Izavion Miller.

What they said: “The way he handled some really good rushers there at Ole Miss, the way he handled those guys, the way he brought — he didn't look out of place. And a lot of times, the O-line will look out of place when they're playing a bigger school, but D-Wade did not look like that. Obviously, that's why he was so sought after in the transfer portal. Looking forward to seeing him shine here at Auburn." — OL coach Jake Thornton

11603776.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320 (WKU Athletics)

OT Gunner Britton (Western Kentucky)

What to watch for: Like Wade, Britton has to translate a high level of production at the Group of Five level into consistency in the SEC. It’s assumed he’ll slide in at right tackle, but Britton started at both tackle spots as recently as last season for Western Kentucky. Auburn’s coaches have been impressed with Miller since he arrived on campus, so it wouldn’t be surprising for those two to battle at right tackle. 

What they said: “With Gunner, a lot of reps playing multiple tackle spots was very intriguing to me because to play offensive line in the SEC, it's a long and brutal season and it's physically taxing. Not only do you have to play 12 football games, but you're also practicing three days a week at a physical position versus some of the best defensive linemen in the league, so there needs to be guys that can play multiple spots. And Gunner brings that to us.” — OL coach Jake Thornton

C Avery Jones (East Carolina)

What to watch for: What will the pecking order be at a packed center position? Jones enters spring ball as the most experienced center on the roster, though Auburn also has two returnees: Tate Johnson, who started four games last season before being injured, plus veteran Jalil Irvin. The Tigers have two freshman early enrollees, and Connor Lew is a big, physical player who has the tools to compete right away. Jones rising to the top of the group wouldn’t be surprising, but it’ll have plenty of competition.

What they said: “We watched every game that he had played for, we spent days evaluating him and watching tape and watching his fundamentals. He plays with great effort and great energy. He's athletic. He's smart, which being smart and understanding the system plays a huge role in how successful you're going to be as a pass protector or run blocker, so that jumped off the screen to me.” — OL coach Jake Thornton

RB Brian Battie (USF)

What to watch for: How does Battie complement Auburn’s other ball-carriers? Junior Jarquez Hunter has been biding his time behind Tank Bigsby in waiting for the lead back role at Auburn, and that much likely isn’t in question. But Battie brings an intriguing skill set to the table and is the type of playmaker Freeze and his offensive staff will likely scheme to get in space. Damari Alston won’t go away easy, too, as the sophomore looks for an increased role after appearing in 10 games last season.

What they said: “To see an All-American guy — a guy who put up the production that he has put up, to be in the portal, and for us with Tank Bigsby leaving, for us, it was a need for us. To have a guy like him jump in there, I was ecstatic. So, got an opportunity to cut on his film, and his film speaks for itself. I got an opportunity to talk to him, and I tell you, he’s an awesome young man that has a bright future.” — RB coach Cadillac Williams

11517380.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320 (FIU Athletics)

TE Rivaldo Fairweather (FIU)

What to watch for: How does an athletic, pass-catching tight end fit with the rest of the tight-end room? New position coach Ben Aigamaua compared Fairweather’s skill set to that of Evan Engram, whom he and Freeze coached at Ole Miss, “only bigger.” That’s high praise for the FIU transfer, but Fairweather brings plenty of production to the table and looks all the part of a versatile weapon in the passing game. With Auburn’s other experienced tight ends more adept in blocking and less experienced running routes downfield, it will be intriguing to see what the Tigers’ offense does to highlight their strengths and Fairweather’s.

What they said: "One, just the athletic ability that he possesses in the passing game and also he’s 250 pounds. For us, we’ve got to be able to do both in our offense. We’ve got to be able to create mismatches against linebackers and safeties, and then we’ve got to be able to block some defensive ends in this league. My job is to make them successful." — TE coach Ben Aigamaua

WR Nick Mardner (Cincinnati)

What to watch for: What will the competition look like between Mardner and Camden Brown? The sophomore is the only other receiver on the roster whose size can compete with Mardner — other than Landen King, who rarely works on the outside and is more often a slot guy. Mardner's familiarity with new position coach Marcus Davis could play a factor in the former Hawaii transfer’s rapid acclimation and opportunity for a big role in the offense.

What they said: “The biggest thing I would say is he's a guy who brings a combination of size and speed. He's every bit of 6-5, and he can run. That's something he definitely can bring to the room.” — WR coach Marcus Davis

DT Lawrence Johnson (Purdue)

What to watch for: How does Johnson’s veteran presence compare to Auburn’s less experienced but talented pieces at defensive tackle? A starter in 26 games over the past two seasons at Purdue, Johnson brings some stability to a group that loses Colby Wooden, but he’ll be competing for reps against returning players like Jeffrey M'ba and Zykeivous Walker, formerly the No. 1 JUCO recruit in the country and a top-100 prospect, respectively.

DT Mosiah Nasili-Kite (Maryland)

What to watch for: Nasili-Kite’s relative versatility — playing mostly on the interior but also kicking out a few snaps a game to defensive end or nose tackle — could be helpful as new defensive coordinator Ron Roberts and position coach Jeremy Garrett work to implement their scheme on the defensive front. His effectiveness as a pass-rusher — No. 2 on Maryland’s defense in QB hurries last season — can’t be ignored, either, especially after Garrett has preached how his interior defensive linemen need to be able to rush the passer if they want to see the field consistently.

11569508.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320 (UK Athletics)

NT Justin Rogers (Kentucky)

What to watch for: We’ll preview each spring position battle later this week, but there’s likely an exciting one brewing at nose tackle between Rogers and returning starter Jayson Jones. A former 5-star recruit, Rogers started every game at nose for Kentucky last season, and his impressive production led to a transfer recruitment that also included Alabama and LSU.

What they said: “It’s easy to see when you turn on the tape, the guy is playing some of our competitors and he has eight tackles in the game. He’s running and he’s physical up front, and he’s a big man in the middle. It’s easy to see that translating into what you’ll need him to do here. It was a big addition to bring some experience that’s been in the SEC.” — DL coach Jeremy Garret

OLB Eljiah McAllister (Vanderbilt)

What to watch for: McAllister might receive plenty of reps with his new program based on need alone. Redshirt sophomore Dylan Brooks is the only returning player with experience at a pure pass-rushing spot. One of Auburn’s most productive position groups on the roster last season is ultra thin after the departures of Derick Hall and Eku Leota, and Auburn’s defensive coaches will be relying on McAllister’s experience to guide the younger players through a spring where they’ll be low on bodies.

LB Demario Tolan (LSU)

What to watch for: A versatile athlete at 6-foot-2 and 222 pounds, Tolan isn't a proven contributor joining Roberts’ defense. He's not a plug-and-play addition who will automatically contender for a spot in the starting rotation. But the former top-200 recruit does represent a boost in depth to a position group that doesn't have much in terms of proven depth after the loss of Owen Pappoe, who's off to the NFL draft — and he has the frame and skill set to float as an outside ‘backer who can rush the passer, too, something Auburn needs from a depth perspective.

What they said: “DeMario was almost like signing a high school guy because he played in every game as a true freshman, but he’s still got a lot of developing and upside. With us not signing a high school linebacker in this class, that was important to me. I wanted to sign one guy that was near a high school player.” — LB coach Josh Aldridge

">247Sports
  • Thanks 1

• Like 1

• Like 1

247sports.com

10 former Tigers on 2023 XFL, USFL rosters

Nathan King
5–6 minutes

Manage
  1. JOIN TODAY! 1st month of AuburnUndercover & ITAT for ONLY $1

Join

2. Image Title

Trending

The NFL season has faded into the background following the Chiefs' Super Bowl win, but professional spring football is just getting started. The XFL made its return and kicked off this weekend, while the USFL will start its second straight season in mid-April. Auburn is well represented in both leagues, with seven former Tigers on opening day XFL rosters, and three more set to compete in the USFL. Here's a look at their careers on the Plains and in the pros.

TE Sal Cannella, Arlington Renegades (XFL): A former JUCO standout, Cannella transferred to Auburn ahead of the 2018 season and worked both as a tight end and big slot receiver. He caught five touchdowns across three seasons before going undrafted. Cannella played in the USFL last year and had 384 yards and two scores. He was signed to the Packers' practice squad ahead last summer and played some in the preseason but was waived before the season began.

OG Mike Horton, Arlington Renegades (XFL): Horton started 32 career games at Auburn at guard, then signed with the Carolina Panthers as an undrafted free agent. He was elevated from the practice squad during the 2021 season and appeared in three games, playing on the field-goal unit. The Atlanta native was waived ahead of the 2022 season and did not make the practice squad again.

DL DaVonte Lambert, Arlington Renegades (XFL): Formerly the No. 1 JUCO defensive tackle in the country, Lambert played at Auburn from 2014-15, with 9.5 tackles for loss, 3.5 sacks and a forced fumble. He was a mainstay on the Buccaneers' practice squad for two years before being waived ahead of the 2018 season. Lambert signed with the Panthers in the 2020 offseason but was again released after training camp.

DT Gabe Wright, D.C. Defenders (XFL): The highest-drafted Auburn player on this list, Wright was taken in the fourth round by the Lions in 2015 after playing all four years at Auburn from 2011-14, with 20.5 tackles for loss and six sacks. Wright bounced around NFL rosters and practice squads for the next seven years — with the Lions, Browns, Eagles, Dolphins, Raiders, Jaguars and Commanders. He has 12 tackles and two tackles for loss in 15 career NFL game appearances.

DE Nick Coe, Orlando Guardians (XFL): One of the most impressive athletes along Auburn's defensive line in recent seasons, Coe had a massive 2018 season, in which he was named All-SEC after 13.5 tackles for loss and seven sacks. His production dipped in 2019, though, and he went undrafted after forgoing his senior season. Coe was on the practice squads for the Patriots and Dolphins over the next two years before playing the past two years in the CFL.

CB Javaris Davis, Orlando Guardians (XFL): A two-year starting cornerback for the Tigers in 2018 and 2019, Davis finished his Auburn career with 32 pass breakups and eight interceptions. Davis was picked up by the Dolphins and remained a member of the practice squad for the next two years, appearing in one game in 2021 when he was elevated to the active roster. The former 4-star recruit was released by Miami last offseason and did not play in 2022.

S Stephen Roberts, Vegas Vipers (XFL): A two-year starter for Auburn at safety from 2016-17, Roberts, an Opelika, Alabama, native had 136 tackles and two picks with his hometown team. He was picked up by the Eagles as an undrafted free agent but injured his ankle in a preseason game and was waived. 

OT Brodarious Hamm, Michigan Panthers (USFL): A former 3-star recruit from Georgia, Hamm was Auburn's starter at right tackle from 2020-21 and appeared in 28 games overall. He participated in the Ravens rookie minicamp after going undrafted but did not progress with the team.

WR Eli Stove, New Orleans Breakers (USFL): After overcoming a knee injury that sidelined him during the 2018 season, Stove became the only player in Auburn history with at least 1,000 receiving yards (1,186) and 500 rushing yards (554) in his career. The Florida native signed with the Chargers as an undrafted free agent in 2021, but a couple months later, Stove needed surgery to repair another torn ACL and was cut from the team after not passing the physical.

">247Sports
  • Thanks 1

XFL roundup: T.J. Barnes comes up big for Renegades

Updated: Feb. 20, 2023, 7:53 a.m.|Published: Feb. 19, 2023, 10:56 p.m.
6–7 minutes

During his three seasons in the NFL, former Enterprise High School standout T.J. Barnes was the biggest player in the league. On Saturday in the first game of the XFL’s comeback season, Barnes was a big man again.

With 12 seconds to play, Vegas quarterback Luis Perez threw a 20-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Cinque Sweeting to pull the Vipers within two points of the Arlington Renegades.

Vegas had the choice of taking its conversion snap from the 2-yard line to try for 1 point, the 5-yard line to try for 2 points or the 10-yard line to try for 3 points. The Vipers chose to try to tie the game.

But Barnes sacked Perez on the conversion attempt to seal the Renegades’ 22-20 victory.

Barnes’ weight is down to 358 pounds after he weighed “about 420″ at Thanksgiving, he said, before getting in shape for the XFL opportunity.

“December was hell for me,” Barnes said.

In the other games on the first weekend of the XFL’s 2023 season:

· Orlando lost four turnovers and Houston quarterback Brandon Silvers threw for 272 yards and two touchdowns in the Roughnecks’ 33-12 victory over the Guardians on Saturday.

· St. Louis quarterback AJ McCarron threw two touchdown passes in the final 85 seconds to rally the Battlehawks to an 18-15 victory over the San Antonio Brahmas on Sunday.

RELATED: AJ MCCARRON LEADS EMOTIONAL COMEBACK FOR XFL’S BATTLEHAWKS

· Seattle took its final two snaps of the game at the D.C. 1-yard line but didn’t score on either as the Defenders held on for a 22-18 victory over the Sea Dragons on Sunday night.

During Week 1 of the XFL’s 2023 season, 24 players from Alabama high schools and colleges got on the field:

Arlington Renegades 22, Vegas Vipers 20

· Renegades defensive lineman T.J. Barnes (Enterprise) made one tackle.

· Sal Cannella (Auburn) started at tight end for the Renegades. The All-USFL tight end last season with the New Orleans Breakers, Cannella led Arlington with seven receptions for 70 yards in his XFL debut.

· Quinterrius Eatmon (Vigor) started at right offensive tackle for the Vipers.

· Vipers offensive lineman Antonio Garcia (Troy) was designated as a game-day inactive.

· Mike Horton (Auburn) started at right guard for the Renegades.

· Renegades defensive lineman Davonte Lambert (Auburn) made two tackles.

· Vipers defensive back Maurice Smith (Alabama) is on the injured list and not eligible to play.

Houston Roughnecks 33, Orlando Guardians 12

· Ja’Chai Baker (South Alabama) started at left offensive tackle for the Guardians.

· Guardians defensive end Nick Coe (Auburn) tied for the team lead with six tackles.

· Javaris Davis (Auburn) started at cornerback for the Guardians.

· Trevon Sanders (Troy) started at nose guard for the Guardians.

· Brandon Silvers (Gulf Shores, Troy) started at quarterback for the Roughnecks. The XFL veteran completed 26-of-42 passes for 272 yards with two touchdowns and two interceptions. Silvers threw a 10-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Jontre Kirklin as Houston tied the score at 6-6 in the first quarter and a 46-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Deontay Burnett as the Roughnecks took a 12-6 lead in the second quarter.

· Maurice Smitherman (Minor) is on the injured list and not eligible to play.

· Guardians linebacker Erroll Thompson (Florence) made two tackles.

· Guardians defensive back Dee Virgin (West Alabama) is on the injured list and not eligible to play.

· Roughnecks offensive lineman John Yarbrough (Homewood) played but did not record any stats.

St. Louis Battlehawks 18, San Antonio Brahmas 15

· Ben Davis (Gordo, Alabama) started at linebacker for the Brahmas. Davis recorded one tackle for loss.

· AJ McCarron (St. Paul’s Episcopal, Alabama) started at quarterback for the Battlehawks. McCarron completed 18-of-27 passes for 190 yards with two touchdowns and no interceptions and ran four times for 12 yards. McCarron threw an 18-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Hakeem Butler followed by a 3-point conversion pass to wide receiver Austin Proehl as St. Louis cut the lead to 15-12 with 1:25 to play. Then McCarron threw 22 yards to Proehl when the Battlehawks chose to take a fourth-and-15 snap instead of trying on onside kick. Retaining possession allowed McCarron to put St. Louis ahead with a 14-yard touchdown pass to Proehl with 16 seconds remaining.

· Battlehawks running back Kareem Walker (South Alabama) netted 1 yard on two rushing attempts and caught a 4-yard pass.

· Battlehawks offensive lineman Dallas Warmack (Alabama) played but did not record any stats.

D.C. Defenders 22, Seattle Sea Dragons 18

· Defenders tight end Trae Barry (Spanish Fort, Jacksonville State) did not record any stats.

· Defenders linebacker Jamal Brooks (Bessemer City, South Alabama) made five tackles, recorded one sack and registered one tackle for loss. On Seattle’s final snap of the game at the D.C. 1-yard line with 19 seconds to play, Brooks caused Sea Dragons quarterback Ben DiNucci to fumble, and he recovered the loose football to seal the Defenders’ victory.

· Sea Dragons long snapper Thomas Fletcher (Alabama) handled the snapping duties for Seattle.

· Offensive lineman Chris Owens (Alabama) started at right guard for the Sea Dragons.

· Sea Dragons wide receiver Kelvin McKnight (Samford) caught four passes for 19 yards, returned four punts for 19 yards and ran back four kickoffs for 105 yards.

· Sea Dragons wide receiver Jordan Veasy (Gadsden City) caught two passes for 22 yards.

· Sea Dragons wide receiver Damion Willis (Troy) caught a 3-yard pass.

· Defenders nose tackle Gabe Wright (Auburn) did not record any stats.

Mark Inabinett is a sports reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter at @AMarkG1.

If you purchase a product or register for an account through one of the links on our site, we may receive compensation.

How Auburn football WR coach Marcus Davis assesses his players before spring practice

Richard Silva, Montgomery Advertiser

Tue, February 21, 2023 at 5:00 AM CST

AUBURN — As Auburn football quarterback Nick Marshall scanned the field on third-and-16 against Arkansas State on Sept. 7, 2013, his eyes locked onto freshman receiver Marcus Davis.

Davis hauled in the pass and paid for it as a defensive back collided with him on his way to the ground. It was his first catch in an Auburn uniform, a touchdown as part of a 38-7 win over the Red Wolves in a season that would eventually end in the BCS National Championship against Florida State.

Less than 10 years later, Davis is back as a coach, guiding players at the position he once played in Jordan-Hare Stadium. Throughout Davis' playing career, former Auburn coach Gus Malzahn told him he'd one day end up in the profession, but the former three-star recruit out of Florida wasn't buying it.

"I didn't believe it at the time because you're just so focused on the process of being the best player you can be," Davis told reporters earlier this month. "When I took the time to look back on things, now that I'm sitting where I am now, I see exactly what he was saying. I'm glad I chose this career. It's been good. And the best part about it is you get to pour into younger guys who have similar goals to what you have."

JOHN COHEN:Exclusive John Cohen Q&A: Auburn AD discusses Hugh Freeze, Butch Thompson, facilities upgrades

SPRING PRACTICE:Projecting Auburn football's 2023 starters ahead of Hugh Freeze's first spring practice

TIGHT ENDS:Auburn football eager to find if its next NFL tight end is on the 2023 roster

Davis, 28, now leads a position group that was anything but prolific in 2022; not a single receiver registered over 500 yards, and Ja'Varrius Johnson (493) and Koy Moore (314) were the only players to have over 300. Auburn's receivers only accounted for six touchdowns last season.

Aside from an incoming freshman − four-star Daquayvious Sorey − the Tigers only added one player at the position: Cincinnati transfer Nick Mardner. Mardner caught 19 passes for 218 yards with the Bearcats in 2022; a season before that at Hawaii, he pulled in 46 balls for 913 yards and five touchdowns.

His position coach with the Rainbow Warriors? None other than Davis.

"The biggest thing I would say is he's a guy who brings a combination of size and speed," Davis said of Mardner, who announced his transfer to Auburn in January. "He's every bit of 6-5, and he can run. That's something he definitely can bring to the room.

"And we've got other guys in the room that can do some things as well that probably didn't have the opportunity. The biggest thing for me is getting everybody together, getting them on the same page. Because competition is going to bring the best out in everybody."

Davis brings up some players that didn't have much opportunity last season. The Tigers added three receivers in the Class of 2022 in Omari Kelly, Jay Fair and Camden Brown. Brown played 27.5% of Auburn's offensive snaps a season ago, while Kelly (9.2%) and Fair (8.2%) saw significantly less.

Auburn Tigers wide receiver Camden Brown (17) catches the ball in the end zone for at touchdown as the Auburn Tigers take on Arkansas Razorbacks at Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn, Ala., on Saturday, Oct. 29, 2022.

"All of them have a unique personality," Davis said of the trio. "I like being around those guys. The biggest thing for me is that they're all hungry. They all want to be coached, they all want to be involved and around. That's the start; once you have that, you don't have to pull that out of people. That's a sign of a good thing. I'm just excited to finally get going with them in the spring, get on the field and learn more about them."

Auburn begins spring practice on Monday and will finish with A-Day on April 8.

"It's a dream for me," Davis said of returning to his alma mater as a coach. "It truly is. I didn't know it would happen this quick. ... It's a different type of focus because you want this place to be good because it's special to you. So, it drives you to work a little harder, to do the extra mile because you want to be great."

Richard Silva is the Auburn athletics beat writer for the Montgomery Advertiser. He can be reached via email at rsilva@gannett.com or on Twitter @rich_silva18.

This article originally appeared on Montgomery Advertiser: New Auburn football receivers coach Marcus Davis assesses spring lineup

• Thanks 1