Men vs Vanderbilt Game Thread

Maverick.AU

3 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Because of guard play or lack their of

Would love to see what the difference was between when Tre was in vs. Wendell. Looked like 2 different teams to me. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AuburnNTexas said:

This loss hurt big time. Again our guards hurt us.

Yep. Green didn't shoot or score much last game against Mizzo and we won by 30. He was bound and determined to shoot this game 2-15 LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

They’re just an above average basketball team. Nothing special. Their energy is entertaining and Bruce can get a lot out of them but at the end of the day they’re nothing to write home about. They can’t really score or finish games. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, woodford said:

They’re just an above average basketball team. Nothing special. Their energy is entertaining and Bruce can get a lot out of them but at the end of the day they’re nothing to write home about. They can’t really score or finish games. 

Yep. Kinda like eating bland oatmeal.

3 minutes ago, Grumps said:

It is still very hard to win on the road in the SEC.

Oh, and many of you guys take the fun out of this forum. War Eagle anyway!!!

It's the close losses that should be wins in my opinion. When two missed buckets could have made a difference and you see some of the shots we take, it's hard to have fun. FT disparity hurt tonight. Not blaming refs because I only watched the end but the lack of opportunities, comparatively, at the line hurt us too. 

The FT disparity being so lopsided in favor of Vandy while we were hammering away inside all game makes no sense to me

• Thanks 1

For whatever reason, whoever is to blame, we just don't have the horses to be good this year.  And I'm past getting angry about it.

This is a guard-driven league, our guards are average at best, and they're probably not gonna get better in the next 3 weeks.

I'm over it.  I find enjoyment in watching Broome play.

• Like 5

I liked the combination of Jay in the game without Broome. He seemed to have more confidence taking it to the basket in the paint. Then Broome went off when he was in alone. They may not be as effective together. 
Then as they were killing it, Green decides to be the hero and ignore them. 
I don’t usually yell at basketball, but Green’s play had me frustrated all game. 
As I stated last game, I really like the flow when Tre is in. 
As others have stated, if our guards are stale, we will lose most every time. 
It’s sad when Lior is your best scoring guard.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

8 minutes ago, WillMunny said:

For whatever reason, whoever is to blame, we just don't have the horses to be good this year.  And I'm past getting angry about it.

This is a guard-driven league, our guards are average at best, and they're probably not gonna get better in the next 3 weeks.

Sad part, just average to slightly above avg guard play and we have 4 or 5 more wins easily

Edited by NWALA Tiger
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, WillMunny said:

We are good. Nothing special but still a run of the mill good basketball team. The close losses are clouding your judgement. We just beat a good mizzou team by 30 at home. It’s extremely hard to win on the road and vandy is on fire. 1 dude shot more free throws than our whole team. Hard to win that way.

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Like 2
  • Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

We are good. Nothing special but still a run of the mill good basketball team. The close losses are clouding your judgement. We just beat a good mizzou team by 30 at home. It’s extremely hard to win on the road and vandy is on fire. 1 dude shot more free throws than our whole team. Hard to win that way.

We are mediocre 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CCTAU said:

I liked the combination of Jay in the game without Broome. He seemed to have more confidence taking it to the basket in the paint. Then Broome went off when he was in alone. They may not be as effective together. 
Then as they were killing it, Green decides to be the hero and ignore them. 
I don’t usually yell at basketball, but Green’s play had me frustrated all game. 
As I stated last game, I really like the flow when Tre is in. 
As others have stated, if our guards are stale, we will lose most every time. 
It’s sad when Lior is your best scoring guard.

I didn't watch the game laser focused with the All Star weekend also being on, but the spots that Jaylin were killing it from in the first half are the same spots that Broome operates in. When you have this Jaylin, it's pretty much counter-intuitive to have both in, as it'll just clog the spacing. 

That's in part why the narrative was that Jaylin would need to be the perimeter version of himself, to both optimize the team and Broome. I don't think it's really been a problem, having the two in together, but I do think Bruce tried to play the hot hand and stagger their minutes a bit at time. The fouling probably made that harder than he would've liked also 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think this team is bad in ways that impact the game in some pretty loud ways that'll affect the interpretation of their overall value. Like UTk has a pretty poor offense relative to their defense. But they have experienced guys and generally speaking, they don't seem to lose in these characteristically bad manners.

Auburn loses in these ways that seem to share a ton of trends, and many of those trends are things you can't have from tournament contenders. I think if it is hard for you to get in your offense as it is for Auburn, and your offense is centered through as inconsistent a unit as our guards are, you can't really be a good team no matter what stats say, but many metrics and the quality of loss will tell you this isn't a dog crap team. For me, instead of this being somewhere between a great and good team (which would've been the analysis for most folks like 4 games ago), I think it's now somewhere between a good and bad team. Undefeated in Quad 3/4 games, now 6-3 in quad 2 games and 2-6 in quad 1 games. I think that's a fair spot to put them 

This team isn't good enough to win with just two or three guys contributing. We need all five and seldom get that. Had Johnson and Flanagan had positive games (not great, just + games) we'd have beaten Alabama. Had even one of the starting guards had a + game we'd have won tonight. If the whole team doesn't contribute, we're toast.

1 hour ago, fishepa said:

We are mediocre 

I think the point is, a few things go our way and people are singing a different tune bc we are winning ball games.  We shoot a little better against usc, A&M, Alabama and TN, even just fractionally better and people are acting way differently. 

• Thanks 2

Outside of Broome, this roster is loaded with role players. Too many guys taking up too many schollys that do not contribute, offensively at least. Outside of a Mizzou game which is clearly the outlier, this is rinse and repeat almost every time. Clearly it’s the roster makeup and it’s not gonna change until Bruce makes a couple key roster moves. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1