Brock Vandagriff Predicted to Transfer to AU

aubiefifty

24 minutes ago, arein0 said:

It sounds to me when you say successful, you really mean elite. And those are not the same thing. You can be successful and not be elite. Just like you can be elite and not successful. Joe Burrow that first year was the perfect example of not elite but successful. For that LSU team he did what was needed to win games, which was be a game manager and not lose games by turning it over. Wouldn't you call that successful? 

For the elites that aren't successful, look at Josh Allen this year with the team they had. Even though he had an elite season, he wouldn't call it successful as they werent able to accomplish their attainable goals. 

Sounds to me like you are just doing mental gymnastics lol. No it wasn’t a successful season based on the team goals but Josh Allen absolutely had a successful run as an individual QB. My discussion is based on the individual QB not the success of the team. Let me once again circle back to my main point, the kid we are discussing is being proclaimed as better than what we have because they play for a national championship team and were rated high in high school. There are literally no stats or very little  to speak to their success in college. What UGA as a whole has done is irrelevant to the success they may or may not have as QBs at Auburn. That is literally the whole point of the discussion. 

Edited by DAG
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, DAG said:

Sounds to me like you are just doing mental gymnastics lol. No it wasn’t a successful season based on the team goals but Josh Allen absolutely had a successful run as an individual QB. My discussion is based on the individual QB not the success of the team. Let me once again circle back to my main point, the kid we are discussing is being proclaimed as better than what we have because they play for a national championship team and were rated high in high school. There are literally no stats to speak to their success in college of very little. What UGA as a whole has done is irrelevant to the success they may or may not have as QBs at Auburn. That is literally the whole point of the discussion. 

I agree with the point that he isnt necessarily better than what we have solely because he was on a national championship team and highly rated.

The point I was trying make is that there are examples of QBs being successful with minimal experience.

The most important thing is finding the right guy for your team. That could be a well known veteran, or a complete unknown that is ready for an opportunity. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, arein0 said:

The most important thing is finding the right guy for your team

I agree with this 100% and I think CHF has alluded to what he is looking for in this regards.

• Like 2

Since we need to go out of conference, and we want someone with starting experience…..there’s a kid at Oregon with tons of experience!   He even started in the SECW for 3 years!   He was a 5* recruit out of HS, and could be a good fit in our offense.  We should give that guy a call! What do you guys think?

image.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Bleacher Report articles are nothing but click bait.  Worthless as tits on a boar hog as the old expression goes.  Its reasonable to assume some of those 4*/5* Georgia QB’s might transfer for lack of playing time.  If they go, where go and when they go is just a guess.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, AUinMS9528 said:

Since we need to go out of conference, and we want someone with starting experience…..there’s a kid at Oregon with tons of experience!   He even started in the SECW for 3 years!   He was a 5* recruit out of HS, and could be a good fit in our offense.  We should give that guy a call! What do you guys think?

I think he's very happy at Oregon. Probably a leading Heisman contender this coming season. I doubt if he'd want to rock his boat.

• Like 3

On 2/22/2023 at 1:56 PM, DAG said:

I think CHF has alluded to what he is looking for in this regards.

Flat out said it on a recent interview with Keith and JLee with an ordered criteria.

1. Accurate
2. Team leader
3. Arm Strength
4. having some escapability

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

Flat out said it on a recent interview with Keith and JLee with an ordered criteria.

1. Accurate
2. Team leader
3. Arm Strength
4. having some escapability

I feel like we haven't had the accuracy part n some time.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, DAG said:

The last time we could say a QB was accurate was Stidham in 2017 at 66.5%

• Like 4

3 hours ago, DAG said:

Even then it's usually just a one year reprieve before another long drought of pain

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I trust Danny Hugh's  QB evaluations more than any coach at AU since Dye. He knows what he has and what he needs. I believe it's gonna all work out.

He seems to have a-lot of great help also,

Holden has been in the system a year, albeit with little coaching help, but he does know the process and the players.  Some on the team have said if we had any line he would have been the starter last season because in practice he is by far the most accurate passer.

He will come out of spring the starter, the question is, do the coaching staff feel confident enough in him or do they go to the portal.

McCall, I dont know why he cant graduate and then come over, 31 credits in two semesters particularly with one being a compressed summer session is not a lot, but who knows.

Vandagriff could probably challenge that SEC conference rule transfer and win if he wanted to come, seems totally against the NCAA ruling as a whole and you cant pick and chose your regs for your conference.  But he is just another inexperienced, highly touted HS QB.  He walks into spring as the number 2 as it is, note the championship game, when they were up by six touchdowns he didnt get the call, Beck did.  And behind him is Gunner, who BOBO wanted as a qb at Auburn.  

And as others have mentioned, we need help now not a year or two from now, that hopefully is already fixed with baby goat and White.  

2 hours ago, trinidad tiger said:

Some on the team have said if we had any line he would have been the starter last season because in practice he is by far the most accurate passer.

That is going to be the key right there. Possibly the wild card

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DAG said:

That is going to be the key right there. Possibly the wild card

Ideally we can find a guard in the spring portal.  I'd hope one of Stutts/Wright/Harris can gate at least one of the guard spots.  Both OTs & C will be transfers.  I think I'd prefer to have 4/5 new OL vs 3/5....but post spring is a crap shoot with players.  You're getting guys who couldn't win jobs elsewhere or processed.  Vast majority of the good ones have already transferred. 

• Like 1

WED,  Id hope between the two in the portal OTs and the transfer, one can slide into one of the guard spots which would be ideal.  You still need one in the portal cause you have no one left if one guy goes down.  But then Harris are one of the other underclassmen maybe they step up.  

Good news on feedback regarding Holden, boy will get his shot, I think he shines and never looks back.  

1 hour ago, trinidad tiger said:

WED,  Id hope between the two in the portal OTs and the transfer, one can slide into one of the guard spots which would be ideal.  You still need one in the portal cause you have no one left if one guy goes down.  But then Harris are one of the other underclassmen maybe they step up.  

Good news on feedback regarding Holden, boy will get his shot, I think he shines and never looks back.  

I'd expect the two transfer OTs will be our starting OTs. The Juco kid is 6'8. Not sure he can be anything besides an OT.

So the entire premise of the thread is UGA has a QB that might not start and AU doesn't have a solid #1 QB yet?

Therefore obviously the kid is going to transfer to AU.

That's the equivalent of boats float and I like to swim, therefore I'm a boat.

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, gman87 said:

So the entire premise of the thread is UGA has a QB that might not start and AU doesn't have a solid #1 QB yet?

Therefore obviously the kid is going to transfer to AU.

That's the equivalent of boats float and I like to swim, therefore I'm a boat.

You forgot the biggest piece of it...UGA's QB would have to sit out a year if he transferred here making this entire discussion pointless

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Isn't there a 1-time transfer rule that doesn't necessitate a player having to sit out a year? Isn't that the case with the LSU transfer that's going to Ole Miss (Howard?)? 

18 minutes ago, AUINSY said:

Isn't there a 1-time transfer rule that doesn't necessitate a player having to sit out a year? Isn't that the case with the LSU transfer that's going to Ole Miss (Howard?)? 

I believe the SEC changed the rule in 2021 allowing an SEC player to transfer to another SEC school without having to sit out a year.  That said I believe there are some rules around that as to when they need to declare they will transfer.

Based on what I am posting below. It is to late for an SEC player to declare for Portal and transfer to another SEC team  without having to sit out for a year.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/sec-passes-rule-allowing-immediate-eligibility-for-intraconference-transfers-starting-in-2021-season

In above article it states:

However, the rule change does come with a caveat. In order for an athlete to be eligible immediately at their school of choice, they must declare their intent to transfer by Feb. 1 for fall sports, May 1 for winter sports and July 1 for spring sports. The athlete does not need to choose his or her destination but must at least be in the transfer portal by those dates.

Edited by AuburnNTexas
  • Like 1

On 2/26/2023 at 8:24 AM, trinidad tiger said:

Holden has been in the system a year, albeit with little coaching help, but he does know the process and the players.   

I’m confused. What process are you talking about?  Holden has never played or practiced under Freeze, until yesterday.