Your choice for the 3 permanent opponents?

gr82b4au

Looks like the committee eyed this board heavily, sided with the strong campaign of @AUwent and saw it your way.  Cheers 🍻

Meanwhile ...Vandy 🥱💤

Oh well... hopefully it becomes the annual tune-up game most of us expect that prepares the teams for tougher conference foes.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, AUwent said:

Heck yes!

https://www.si.com/college/2023/03/03/sec-football-schedule-dellenger-opponents-for-each-team-new-format

I do admit this is unfair to the Turds (obviously, I feel like my proposal was best at balancing everyone's wants).

Now you cannot have a single complaint for 365 days, starting now.

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Dom1ni0n said:

Looks like the committee eyed this board heavily, sided with the strong campaign of @AUwent and saw it your way.  Cheers 🍻

Meanwhile ...Vandy 🥱💤

Oh well... hopefully it becomes the annual tune-up game most of us expect that prepares the teams for tougher conference foes.

I’m not saying that Vandy is on the same level as Auburn program wise, but record head to head is .500.   Tune-up game is a bit of stretch and very short sided.   Auburn hasn’t dominated Vandy like many on here think they have. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Dom1ni0n said:

Meanwhile ...Vandy 🥱💤

Could have been a lot worse.   At least Nashville is a very fun city.  We have an absolutely HUGE fanbase within 20 miles of Vandy Campus. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

I’m not saying that Vandy is on the same level as Auburn program wise, but record head to head is .500.   Tune-up game is a bit of stretch and very short sided.   Auburn hasn’t dominated Vandy like many on here think they have. 

A majority of those wins against AU were in in the WW1 and WW2 era.  In the modern football era Auburn generally has no problems with Vandy except in seasons when AU is near or below .500.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

Could have been a lot worse.   At least Nashville is a very fun city.  We have an absolutely HUGE fanbase within 20 miles of Vandy Campus. 

These are facts... I haven't visited Nashville in a while but that's a great weekend to catch AU @ Vandy on Saturday and possibly a Titans game on Sunday if the schedule aligns.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dom1ni0n said:

except in seasons when AU is near or below .500.

In fairness,  most of  our wins were is seasons when Vandy was near or below .500.    :)

Edited by Quietmaninthecorner
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Dom1ni0n said:

A majority of those wins against AU were in in the WW1 and WW2 era.  In the modern football era Auburn generally has no problems with Vandy except in seasons when AU is near or below .500.

Crazy how different 2008 would’ve gone if we just had a functioning kicking unit. Guess we got payback with the last three wins over UAT.

Edited by AUwent

20 hours ago, aubaseball said:

Let's be real here. Most of Vandy's wins in the series came before 1950. They didn't play each other from 1956 through 1977. The two have played each other 16 times since 1978. Auburn is 14-2 in those 16 games. Adding Vandy as a permanent opponent is as close to a freeby win for Auburn as the SEC has to offer. 14-2 is very much domination.

20 hours ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

In fairness,  most of  our wins were is seasons when Vandy was near or below .500.    :)

When is Vandy not near or below .500? If you schedule Vandy, you are almost automatically scheduling a team that is near or below .500.

• Like 4

On 3/3/2023 at 9:27 PM, AUwent said:

Heck yes!

https://www.si.com/college/2023/03/03/sec-football-schedule-dellenger-opponents-for-each-team-new-format

I do admit this is unfair to the Turds (obviously, I feel like my proposal was best at balancing everyone's wants).

Let's all calm down and remember that this scheduling is nothing more than SI's guess as to what the SEC will do. If bammer catches the schedule as presented, it will be the first time they have ever failed to wrangle a break. Remember, this is the same bammer that swore and declared that Vandy was a traditional rival and thus got their two permanent cross division foes to be Vandy and Tennessee while Auburn caught Georgia and Florida. UAT would whine to the heavens if anybody even mentioned giving them the foes in this article.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

while Auburn caught Georgia and Florida.

Which is why I've wanted Vandy so bad...we've been at such a disadvantage and this has the potential to be a massive playing field leveler.

Edited by AUwent

I'm kind of sad to lose LSU.  Maybe its my age but the Tiger Bowl was always a huge game in the 90s and most of the 2000s.  Its admittedly lost some of its luster since Saban went to Bama and all the drama that ensued that game.  I give Harsin credit for finally getting the Red Stick curse lifted.  Maybe some older fans feel the same way about the Florida and Tennessee rivalry?

I won’t complain as mandated by DAG but it does look like DSOR will stay on its current pattern—no way thUGA will allow giving up a home game again. (I’d be okay with just going ahead and giving it up this year, TBH.)

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1

On 3/4/2023 at 12:52 PM, AUwent said:

Crazy how different 2008 would’ve gone if we just had a functioning kicking unit. Guess we got payback with the last three wins over UAT.

oh, if it were only just specials teams woes that made 2008 seems so promising in the preseason to turning out to be an all out disaster.  One of the most painful four quarters of football ever witnessed.

AU - 3, MooU - 2 

Never forget.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dom1ni0n said:

oh, if it were only just specials teams woes that made 2008 seems so promising in the preseason to turning out to be an all out disaster.  One of the most painful four quarters of football ever witnessed.

AU - 3, MooU - 2 

Never forget.

Despite our offensive woes, we were 8-4 (Vandy, Arky, thUGA) if we could’ve just made FGs.

12 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Despite our offensive woes, we were 8-4 (Vandy, Arky, thUGA) if we could’ve just made FGs.

I don't disagree.  Even @ Ole Miss was winnable that year.  But we were in the preseason top 10 with dark horse considerations to contend for the SEC West behind LSU.  The anticipation of a full off season installing the 'Tony Franklin system' (lol) had me thinking we'd come out swinging in '08.  Just my opinion of course, based from preseason expectations, anything less than at the very least a 10-win season or top 10 poll finish was a let down.

5 hours ago, Mikey said:

Let's all calm down and remember that this scheduling is nothing more than SI's guess as to what the SEC will do. If bammer catches the schedule as presented, it will be the first time they have ever failed to wrangle a break. Remember, this is the same bammer that swore and declared that Vandy was a traditional rival and thus got their two permanent cross division foes to be Vandy and Tennessee while Auburn caught Georgia and Florida. UAT would whine to the heavens if anybody even mentioned giving them the foes in this article.

I did read where a possible Bama three every year is AU, LSU and TN. That’s a tough schedule. Now, if we catch Bama and UGA, I would settle for Miss St. a decent team and it doesn’t kill us schedule wise, but those three to Bama are bad news. I for one living in GA, think they’ve had it easy for years.

• Like 1

On 3/3/2023 at 9:27 PM, AUwent said:

Heck yes!

Alabama, Georgia and Vanderbilt

Not feeling sorry for Bama at all. Tennessee has been a dog for 20 years.  Bama gets beat by them once and they start whining. They've done ok playing those 3 teams every year. It's just nice that they will have to play Georgia more than once in a blue moon now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, woodford said:

Didn’t read the article but Alabama has played Auburn, LSU, and Tennessee annually now going on 30 years. What’s the difference now?

I hate defending UAT but playing three “power” teams permanently will have a disproportionate impact on the schedule. I consider the “power” teams to be the “Big Six” plus Oklahoma and the Texases (because A&M has all the resources in the world—just feels like they could become a dynasty at any time). Assuming the forecast is correct, most teams will play five “power” teams in the league a year. UAT will play 5.5. TN gets to play 4.5.

Edited by AUwent

When Saban steps down, Bama will be in a tough spot playing against Hugh, Brian, and Josh. I'm good with that.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, bigbird said:

When Saban steps down, Bama will be in a tough spot playing against Hugh, Brian, and Josh. I'm good with that.

But again, that could easily be another decade away.

Just now, AUwent said:

But again, that could easily be another decade away.

Could but won't 

• Like 4