Your choice for the 3 permanent opponents?

gr82b4au

10 hours ago, Shadow Tiger said:

How about we go Southwest style with Oklahoma, Texas, and Arkansas. 😁

When this first started up,  I suggested the division be Old Guard (original SEC teams)   and  New kids on the Block (all the newbies since the original expansion.)     there is just one too many on the old guard.

I think it would make for fun smack talk between the two.   Everyone gets to keep their old rivalries.

2 teams from each division playoff for the SECCG.

But I still think the only way this is fair to everyone is if we expand the season to 15 games where each SEC team plays every other.  (Aug 1st  to  Nov 30th) We don't need  stinking OOC games til the NCAA playoffs.  18 week season 3 by weeks each.  

Edited by Quietmaninthecorner

7 hours ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

When this first started up,  I suggested the division be Old Guard (original SEC teams)   and  New kids on the Block (all the newbies since the original expansion.)     there is just one too many on the old guard.

I think it would make for fun smack talk between the two.   Everyone gets to keep their old rivalries.

2 teams from each division playoff for the SECCG.

But I still think the only way this is fair to everyone is if we expand the season to 15 games where each SEC team plays every other.  (Aug 1st  to  Nov 30th) We don't need  stinking OOC games til the NCAA playoffs.  18 week season 3 by weeks each.  

I don't think we will ever see that many regular season games played. For a good while anyway. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Shadow Tiger said:

I don't think we will ever see that many regular season games played. For a good while anyway. 

I know,  it is a sad thing.  It is the only way I see that we will not have a few teams get screwed and a few have a major advantage every year.  

There will eventually be a year were we play bama, UGA and then Texas rolls onto our schedule,  while  another team has  Vandy, mizzu and then MSU  rolls on their sched.

On 2/18/2023 at 10:05 PM, Dom1ni0n said:

Depends upon what factors are considered to preserve the rivalry as an annual one.  IMO, the 1990s SEC expansion and divisional split was largely responsible for creating this rivalry.  During that era, both happened to be very good and those games usually had more early fall national importance since they played in September and were usually highly ranked.  Fan intensity matched on both sides.  

Prior to that, they didn't have much history.

The intensity of that game has also waned over the years.

I agree with that assessment.  AU has more of a history with UF.

5 hours ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

There will eventually be a year were we play bama, UGA and then Texas rolls onto our schedule

Better Texas than Mississippi State. State has had a much better program than Texas over the past 15 years. Oklahoma coming to town, now that's a different story.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

I know,  it is a sad thing.  It is the only way I see that we will not have a few teams get screwed and a few have a major advantage every year.  

There will eventually be a year were we play bama, UGA and then Texas rolls onto our schedule,  while  another team has  Vandy, mizzu and then MSU  rolls on their sched.

You want 15 regular season games? Lol

2 hours ago, woodford said:

You want 15 regular season games? Lol

It was kind of tongue in cheek,  BUT If course I do.   You would not like more football?   I would LIKE football year round if it was plausible.

Everyone plays everyone in the SEC  would only add 3 games  and  1 or 2  more off weeks.     

At least 2 teams already play a 15 game TOTAL including SEC Championship game, and play off's.   Get rid off all the cheap ass bowl games.   Another conference game is way better than most of the low end bowl games.   

15 games plus  SECCG.  + 8 team  NCAA playoff. 

20 weeks over 5 months.   It would not be that difficult to implement. 

Will it happen?  NO!     But, it is the only way to keep a couple schools having a ridiculously hard schedule, other schools having ridiculously easy schedules,  and no one has to give up any traditional rivals.

The most anyone would play is 18 games TOTAL while most SEC team would only play 16.  A bump in total scholly numbers per team and  3-4  off weeks to make up for the brutally long schedule. 

15 games August 1- Nov  30.

2 teams in the SECCG,  2nd week of Dec.

3 more games  for  teams in an 8 team NCAA playoff. Jan 1st-jan 21

The only serious  issue is other conferences  not having 15 intraconference games.

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

Better Texas than Mississippi State. State has had a much better program than Texas over the past 15 years. Oklahoma coming to town, now that's a different story.

I’m not so sure that Oklahoma is that scary of a prospect with Venables at the helm 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, WarEagle1982 said:

I’m not so sure that Oklahoma is that scary of a prospect with Venables at the helm 

Honestly, I would rather play them than South Carolina right now.

2 hours ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

It was kind of tongue in cheek,  BUT If course I do.   You would not like more football?   I would LIKE football year round if it was plausible.

Everyone plays everyone in the SEC  would only add 3 games  and  1 or 2  more off weeks.     

At least 2 teams already play a 15 game TOTAL including SEC Championship game, and play off's.   Get rid off all the cheap ass bowl games.   Another conference game is way better than most of the low end bowl games.   

15 games plus  SECCG.  + 8 team  NCAA playoff. 

20 weeks over 5 months.   It would not be that difficult to implement. 

Will it happen?  NO!     But, it is the only way to keep a couple schools having a ridiculously hard schedule, other schools having ridiculously easy schedules,  and no one has to give up any traditional rivals.

The most anyone would play is 18 games TOTAL while most SEC team would only play 16.  A bump in total scholly numbers per team and  3-4  off weeks to make up for the brutally long schedule. 

15 games August 1- Nov  30.

2 teams in the SECCG,  2nd week of Dec.

3 more games  for  teams in an 8 team NCAA playoff. Jan 1st-jan 21

The only serious  issue is other conferences  not having 15 intraconference games.

No, I don’t want more football. It’s a developmental league. Half the elite players would sit out so many games. Football’s greatest asset and what it has over every sport is how it demands your attention because of how infrequently they play. 

Year round football just sounds silly. The sport is too demanding for that. Every sport is. The body has to rest and the sport needs downtime for weather and interest imo

I’m not dying on this hill and I respect you I just happen to disagree. I do wish spring games were played against FCS schools in a simulation environment. That’s kind of like more football I guess. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, woodford said:

No, I don’t want more football. It’s a developmental league. Half the elite players would sit out so many games. Football’s greatest asset and what it has over every sport is how it demands your attention because of how infrequently they play. 

Year round football just sounds silly. The sport is too demanding for that. Every sport is. The body has to rest and the sport needs downtime for weather and interest imo

I’m not dying on this hill and I respect you I just happen to disagree. I do wish spring games were played against FCS schools in a simulation environment. That’s kind of like more football I guess. 

I don't disagree.    I am just spit balling.      I know it will never work or happen.  I was  just trying to keep the conversation interesting by throwing out the only situation I can think of that wouldn't give any team a major  advantage over any other because of scheduling while everyone keeps their  historic SEC  rivals.

as far as recouping and downtime.   add more schollys per team...  say max 150.   That would also spread the NIL money around more.

WDE Woodford.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mikey said:

You need to put the crack pipe down.  In no circumstance is Miss State better than Texas.   And I don’t care what their records say because it’s not relevant to them never playing each other.  Texas played for a national championship in 2012.  MSU has never even come close to that and has played in the SEC championship game once.   They aren’t even in the discussion of being the favorite every year.    Texas has played in Big 12 championships games as recently as 5 years.   

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

Yep, Texas has been down but you are kidding yourself if you don't think they are going to be an 800 lb. gorilla in the NIL era. Look at their recruiting the past 2 cycles.

8 hours ago, Cardin Drake said:

Yep, Texas has been down but you are kidding yourself if you don't think they are going to be an 800 lb. gorilla in the NIL era. Look at their recruiting the past 2 cycles.

Their recruiting has always been great, their record lately, not so much. Keep reading below.

10 hours ago, aubaseball said:

You need to put the crack pipe down.  In no circumstance is Miss State better than Texas.

Here's from another post I made earlier:

Their all-around programs are good, but in football at least, I don't see much threat from Texas. In the 13 seasons since they played for the Natty in 2009, their overall record is 91-72. 56% and that includes the non-conference gimme' games.

Texas needs to figure out what it is in the Austin water that has this fabulously rich school fielding teams below the level of Mississippi State. Yes, dear Longhorns, since 2009, MSU has had 5 seasons of 9 or more wins. Texas has had 2. MSU has had 3 losing seasons in those 13 years, Texas has had 5 losing seasons. Them horns ain't been hookin' much.

For the last 13 seasons, MSU has clearly been better than Texas.

• Like 1

Texas played for a national championship in 2012.

Texas finished 9-4 in 2012, ending the season with a victory over Oregon State in the Alamo Bowl. That's pretty far from a national championship.

I’m gonna go Bama, Tennessee, and Ole Miss. screw Georgia and there s**t head fans. I chose Ole Miss over Texas AM and Florida to balance the schedule a bit. I think that Auburn and Texas AM have a lot of similarities and could just naturally turn into great rivals, but they are a little too high level to be that 3rd team. I chose Tennessee because I’ve always love Auburn and Tennessee’s matchups, and I like their fans. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

What makes the most sense is region based:

- west: UT, TAMU, Mizzou, Oklahoma

-Central: Arky, LSU, OM, MSU

- North: Bama, Vandy, UK, UT

- East: UF, USCe, UGA, the university of Auburn

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ScotsAU said:

There isn't going to be pods or divisions or split conferences.  SEC has already said it'll be 1 conference ranking

Edited by W.E.D
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Mikey said:

Their recruiting has always been great, their record lately, not so much. Keep reading below.

Here's from another post I made earlier:

Their all-around programs are good, but in football at least, I don't see much threat from Texas. In the 13 seasons since they played for the Natty in 2009, their overall record is 91-72. 56% and that includes the non-conference gimme' games.

Texas needs to figure out what it is in the Austin water that has this fabulously rich school fielding teams below the level of Mississippi State. Yes, dear Longhorns, since 2009, MSU has had 5 seasons of 9 or more wins. Texas has had 2. MSU has had 3 losing seasons in those 13 years, Texas has had 5 losing seasons. Them horns ain't been hookin' much.

For the last 13 seasons, MSU has clearly been better than Texas.

I had my years wrong and it was 2009 I was thinking about.   They went from 1998 - 2009 winning 9 games or more and went 7 or 8 seasons in a row winning more than 10.   Of course they have hit a bad streak lately beginning with Charlie Strong, but you can’t be serious when you talk about Miss State being a better football program.   Besides these last couple of years and even then Auburn should have won, Miss State loses to the same teams every year.   Occasionally they will upset LSU or Auburn on those teams’ down years, they pad their records with 4 non conference cupcakes.    Can’t believe you think MSU is a better football team than Texas.   

57 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

This is pretty much like a pods system. The system is a very long shot, if not out completely.

I had my years wrong and it was 2009 I was thinking about.   They went from 1998 - 2009 winning 9 games or more and went 7 or 8 seasons in a row winning more than 10.   Of course they have hit a bad streak lately beginning with Charlie Strong, but you can’t be serious when you talk about Miss State being a better football program.   Besides these last couple of years and even then Auburn should have won, Miss State loses to the same teams every year.   Occasionally they will upset LSU or Auburn on those teams’ down years, they pad their records with 4 non conference cupcakes.    Can’t believe you think MSU is a better football team than Texas.   

13 years isn't a bad streak, it's a weak program. I don't think, I know MSU has been a better football program for the past 13 seasons. The numbers don't lie. Besides having a better recored, MSU plays in the toughest division in college football. Texas has played in the relatively wimpy Big 12. It's not much of a leap at all to say had Texas been playing in the SEC west their overall record would have been below 50%. The 'Horns have a lot of improvements to make before they aren't looking up at Mississippi State.

56 minutes ago, tigerchris said:

I want to play the best teams possible every week so when we run the table there are no doubters..

If and only if we could get a clause worked in that guarantees us at least a 9-12 seed at 9-3 and a 5-8 seed at 10-2, then I would accept being the only SEC team to get upper tier teams in all three spots!

I could also accept this:

Edited by AUwent