Your choice for the 3 permanent opponents?

gr82b4au

Been following this site for years (even back when it was Auburn Eagle). 

I was playing with this topic for the league and can up with this.  Be gentle.

#1 #2 #3
1 Alabama Auburn Tennessee Miss State
2 Arkansas Texas Ole Miss Oklahoma
3 Auburn Alabama Georgia Texas A&M
4 Florida Georgia LSU Missouri
5 Georgia Florida Auburn South Carolina
6 Kentucky Tennessee Vanderbilt South Carolina
7 LSU Ole Miss Florida Texas A&M
8 Miss State Ole Miss Alabama Missouri
9 Missouri Oklahoma Miss State Florida
10 Ole Miss Miss State LSU Arkansas
11 Oklahoma Texas Missouri Arkansas
12 South Carolina Georgia Kentucky Vanderbilt
13 Tennessee Alabama Vanderbilt Kentucky
14 Texas Oklahoma Texas A&M Arkansas
15 Texas A&M Texas LSU Auburn
16 Vanderbilt Tennessee Kentucky South Carolina

2 hours ago, AUwent said:

Vandy would be compensation for getting the two best programs in the country, neither of whom look to be ceding that perch in the next decade. We're getting both of them for sure, so maybe have some balance?

But okay, fine, maybe the Cowbells instead. Just, can we PLEASE not be the only ones getting three traditional powers in our perma spots, when I've proven that those spots have greater weight on the schedule than the rotating?

You may get your wish and get Vandy. I just ask that if this were to occur, please keep it minimal about stressing about the other six opponents, if it goes that way.

• Like 1

Well, I certainly do not want Vandy. I would love to add Florida or Tennessee. But I also think that Alabama should add Georgia or LSU. And Georgia should add Alabama and Florida. Etc etc. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, JerryAU said:

Oz6PNyS.png

If LSU gets 1 fewer of the Big 9 every other year than the rest of the Big 9 then in that year they should get both Bama & UGa. In the same mindset, if UTk gets 1 fewer of the Big 9 every other year than the rest of the Big 9 then in that year they should have to play UGA.

• Like 1

If we are talking about highest potential for wins, welp, I'd say Vandy, Misery, and UK.

But in terms of Auburn tradition, which I definitely prefer, my permanent opponents would be -- you guessed it -- Bama, UGA, and LSU.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gr82b4au said:

Well, I certainly do not want Vandy. I would love to add Florida or Tennessee. But I also think that Alabama should add Georgia or LSU. And Georgia should add Alabama and Florida. Etc etc. 

Alabama should definitely get LSU and UF/UGA should stay intact.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, JerryAU said:

Oz6PNyS.png

I'd b more than happy with this.  Rotation looks manageable.  LSU seems like they'd lose UF, which I'm not sure they'd like...but have a pretty easy permanent 3.

I just want 9 games above anything else.  1+7 is dumb

Edited by W.E.D
  • Like 2

Isn't this realignment supposed to be in place for the next 50-100 years? You can't make these types of decisions based on who is good or bad or up or down today. It absolutely is cyclical. Bama and UGA are currently on runs. But if this were on the table back 20 years ago nobody would be scared of having those 2 with an LSU or UF or UT as our permanents because they weren't as scary. They WILL fall back to earth again every dynasty does.

Give me Florida or LSU as the 3rd I want all the smoke!! I love getting up for big games and we only need to finish top 12. We could feasibly go 1-2 in those 3 permanent rivalry games and still make the playoffs if things broke right

Edited by Tiger
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Isn't this realignment supposed to be in place for the next 50-100 years? You can't make these types of decisions based on who is good or bad or up or down today. It absolutely is cyclical. Bama and UGA are currently on runs. But if this were on the table back 20 years ago nobody would be scared of having those 2 with an LSU or UF or UT as our permanents because they weren't as scary. They WILL fall back to earth again every dynasty does.

Give me Florida or LSU as the 3rd I want all the smoke!! I love getting up for big games and we only need to finish top 12. We could feasibly go 1-2 in those 3 permanent rivalry games and still make the playoffs if things broke right

At the end of the day, though, all four of those teams are in the upper echelon of the league. So let’s put aside that we have no idea how much longer UAT and UGA’s dynasties will last. Are you for the other upper echelon teams getting three from within as well? If so, I can at least respect your answer.

35 minutes ago, AUwent said:

At the end of the day, though, all four of those teams are in the upper echelon of the league. So let’s put aside that we have no idea how much longer UAT and UGA’s dynasties will last. Are you for the other upper echelon teams getting three from within as well? If so, I can at least respect your answer.

Definitely not opposed to all other traditional powers having big 6/Texas and OU as permanent opponents. Would prefer it that way so we have all those big games 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

Definitely not opposed to all other traditional powers having big 6/Texas and OU as permanent opponents. Would prefer it that way so we have all those big games 

I am with Auwent. and this. 
Let the big 6 play each other as always with TX and OK added in. Let the bad teams play each other. 

Give me the easiest path possible. Absolutely sick of having the toughest schedule in the country most years. I just want to win and don’t care how we get there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, W.E.D said:

I'd b more than happy with this.  Rotation looks manageable.  LSU seems like they'd lose UF, which I'm not sure they'd like...but have a pretty easy permanent 3.

I just want 9 games above anything else.  1+7 is dumb

This is probably very close to what the SEC will schedule with a 3-6 nine game schedule except you don't have the home/away schedule right, the permanent opponents look good, but we'd be home and away with the other 6, then home and away, though your proposal is interesting,

8 hours ago, WarEagle1982 said:

Do we really think they are going to get rid of the Florida-Tennessee game on a permanent basis?

Depends upon what factors are considered to preserve the rivalry as an annual one.  IMO, the 1990s SEC expansion and divisional split was largely responsible for creating this rivalry.  During that era, both happened to be very good and those games usually had more early fall national importance since they played in September and were usually highly ranked.  Fan intensity matched on both sides.  

Prior to that, they didn't have much history.

The intensity of that game has also waned over the years.

• Like 1

I would love Blake Toppmyer’s opponents, but I doubt UAT says yes to this (which I can understand…although it sounds like the permanents can be changed after a four year cycle).

https://www.tuscaloosanews.com/story/sports/college/SEC/2023/02/14/sec-football-schedule-nine-games-rivals-alabama-tennessee-auburn-georgia/69893058007/

Edited by AUwent

On 2/18/2023 at 12:52 PM, WarEagle1982 said:

Do we really think they are going to get rid of the Florida-Tennessee game on a permanent basis?

Since every team will play every other team every other year at minimum there is no getting rid of any games permanently. That said I do think UF & UTk get each other as part of their 3 permanents.