Your choice for the 3 permanent opponents?

gr82b4au

I've reached acceptance that we'll get UAT and UGA. I'm completely apathetic about the UGA series at this point--it's not like we have to beat them to get into the playoffs anymore--and as long as we get a "dessert" in that third spot, whatever.

Side note: I love the argument that we've "always played those three teams (LSU or UF), so how would it be any different/a big deal?" We also played in Birmingham every year from 1948-88. No joke, this realignment could be almost as advantageous a shift for us as that was.

Edited by AUwent

If they go to a 9 Sec game schedule each year where you play every team in the conference at least once every 2 years, it should all balance out and that would be fair. 
What I think some people are missing is that most AU fans love the rivalry games  and want to play them as long as everyone else is in the same boat. For years it has been an unfair disadvantage for Auburn. Adding our other biggest rival Florida? Come on. 

People say it is cyclical but that simply is not true in the SEC. Over the past 30 years, how many teams from the east have played in the SEC championship? It is not a level playing field. Uga and Florida have dominated with TN after them. In the west AL has dominated, with LSU and then AU. 
You want to add FL to AL and Uga for AU? I am fine with that because I love those games. But you then need to add Uga to AL’s schedule every year. 

For those that question competitive balance, go look at the Uga schedule this year. 

It should be like this in the future: 
AU- AL, Uga, FL

AL-AU, TN, Uga

Uga- AU, AL, FL

LSU- FL, Tx, TAM or TN

TX- LSU, OK, TAM

OK- TX, TAM, ArK

etc etc. let the bad team beat on each other as rivals. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

If they go to a 9 Sec game schedule each year where you play every team in the conference at least once every 2 years, it should all balance out and that would be fair. 
What I think some people are missing is that most AU fans love the rivalry games  and want to play them as long as everyone else is in the same boat. For years it has been an unfair disadvantage for Auburn. Adding our other biggest rival Florida? Come on. 

People say it is cyclical but that simply is not true in the SEC. Over the past 30 years, how many teams from the east have played in the SEC championship? It is not a level playing field. Uga and Florida have dominated with TN after them. In the west AL has dominated, with LSU and then AU. 
You want to add FL to AL and Uga for AU? I am fine with that because I love those games. But you then need to add Uga to AL’s schedule every year. 

For those that question competitive balance, go look at the Uga schedule this year. 

It should be like this in the future: 
AU- AL, Uga, FL

AL-AU, TN, Uga

Uga- AU, AL, FL

LSU- FL, Tx, TAM or TN

TX- LSU, OK, TAM

OK- TX, TAM, ArK

etc etc. let the bad team beat on each other as rivals. 

image.gifLiterally the only way I could accept a third traditional power.

Edited by AUwent

47 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

People say it is cyclical but that simply is not true in the SEC.

You say it is not cyclical then named six teams in the last 30 years who have had opportunity to be leaders lol. It is absolutely cyclical. UF at one point was a dynasty, then Bama said enough of that. Bama was the king of the hill and now UGA is saying it is enough of that. The idea that we should run from two institutions because they are at the top all of a sudden screams cowardice. Auburn had their chance to be dominant when we were running through Bama and we got in our own way.

We also had a chance to overtake UGA for several years, yet we let average to good teams from that group beat our better teams. That CANNOT continue. Now we have an uphill battle. But  I can tell you, LSU and Tennessee will have something to say about that. Will we? Again, a couple of years ago people were saying CKS is another Mark Richt. PEOPLE ON THIS EXACT FORUM. They pointed to their piss poor record against the SEC West and their inability to win big games. Now, they have finally figured it out and people are victim of the moments. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

And what is even more Ironic about people complaining about playing UF is the fact that UF is not even scary at their current state. They loss to Vandy last year folks. That right there tells me people really in tune with what is going on. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, DAG said:

You say it is not cyclical then named six teams in the last 30 years who have had opportunity to be leaders lol. It is absolutely cyclical. UF at one point was a dynasty, then Bama said enough of that. Bama was the king of the hill and now UGA is saying it is enough of that. The idea that we should run from two institutions because they are at the top all of a sudden screams cowardice. Auburn had their chance to be dominant when we were running through Bama and we got in our own way.

We also had a chance to overtake UGA for several years, yet we let average to good teams from that group beat our better teams. That CANNOT continue. Now we have an uphill battle. But  I can tell you, LSU and Tennessee will have something to say about that. Will we? Again, a couple of years ago people were saying CKS is another Mark Richt. PEOPLE ON THIS EXACT FORUM. They pointed to their piss poor record against the SEC West and their inability to win big games. Now, they have finally figured it out and people are victim of the moments. 

You're writing UAT's epitaph when they just signed NINE 5*s, my dude. 

33 minutes ago, DAG said:

And what is even more Ironic about people complaining about playing UF is the fact that UF is not even scary at their current state. They loss to Vandy last year folks. That right there tells me people really in tune with what is going on. 

Disagree, go look at their 2024 recruiting class. Their current problems look very easily fixable.

It's very revealing that you only focus on traditional powers--teams that have much better resources and are therefore going to have higher highs and lows. Florida is always going to be on average much better than MSU and Vandy. Wanting to play three of these upper echelon teams is an incredibly bad idea, and you can rest assured that no one else in the SEC wants to. There's absolutely no reason to put ourselves at such a disadvantage here!

Edited by AUwent
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, AUwent said:

You're writing UAT's epitaph when they just signed NINE 5*s, my dude. 

I am not writing any epitaph. I said people need to stop being cowards and face their fears. I am very aware of how good Alabama and UGA are. If you are scared just say you are scared, but stop with the mental gymnastics. It is quite sad because our fans want to carry this underdog story but run from the giants, you included. You are literally begging to face vandy but was the same person bemoaning about how we need to get a coach who can recruit against the best to beat the best. We have that coach now. We are in the SEC and we are a FLAGSHIP school in the SEC. We are considered a TRADITIONAL power in the original SEC. Put your big boy pants on and stop with the cowardice attitude. 

Edited by DAG

9 minutes ago, DAG said:

I am not writing any epitaph. I said people need to stop being cowards and face their fears. I am very aware of how good Alabama and UGA are. If you are scared just say you are scared, but stop with the mental gymnastics. It is quite sad because our fans want to carry this underdog story but run from the giants, you included. You are literally begging to face vandy but was the same person bemoaning about how we need to get a coach who can recruit against the best to beat the best. We have that coach now. We are in the SEC and we are a FLAGSHIP school in the SEC. We are considered a TRADITIONAL power in the original SEC. Put your big boy pants on and stop with the cowardice attitude. 

Because no other team in the SEC is going to be facing three traditional powers (and I outlined earlier why rotating opponents won't make up for that)! What part of that do you not understand?! I can at least respect your opinion if you want UAT, UG, LSU, etc. to also get three trad powers.

Edited by AUwent

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

You are literally begging to face vandy  

He must be really young and has not seen the ups and down of every program in the NCAA.   WAAAAAY back in the day,  Vandy was  considered a national powerhouse.  esp back when players could be paid like they can now.

as an example,  I suspect it is just a matter of time (prob a decade)  before Vandy  realizes they can re-emphasizes  athletics at the school,  dump  a couple boatloads of money into NIL  and becomes a powerhouse again.   There is just too much money to be made for them to do otherwise. 

1 minute ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

He must be really young and has not seen the ups and down of every program in the NCAA.   WAAAAAY back in the day,  Vandy was  considered a national powerhouse.  esp back when players could be paid like they can now.

as an example,  I suspect it is just a matter of time (prob a decade)  before Vandy  realizes they can re-emphasizes  athletics at the school,  dump  a couple boatloads of money into NIL  and becomes a powerhouse again.   There is just too much money to be made for them to do otherwise. 

I started following when UAT was in the depths of probation, FYI.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

The thing is even if we get VANDY, we will just get an additional "tough" opponent who is not considered a permanent rival. That is why I do not understand the gnashing of teeth about this. I have laid out why I think facing someone like UF is beneficial in the long run.

Edited by DAG
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

lmao. LSU is way more on the upswing than Florida my guy. That literally does not make sense. You are the one hyperfocused on "traditional" powerhouses. UF is not by any means a powerhouse right now. So once again, if you are scared just say you are scared lol

You misread my post. If you want us to get UAT, UGA and UF, then you'd better want UAT, UGA, UF, LSU, and as many of the other traditional powers as possible to have to have three traditional powers in their permanent spots. We're literally the only SEC team whose fanbase seems to be begging for three perms who have a history of being in the top echelon.

I've already illustrated why rotating opponents do not make up for this!

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, AUwent said:

You misread my post. If you want us to get UAT, UGA and UF, then you'd better want UAT, UGA, UF, LSU, and as many of the other traditional powers as possible to have to have three traditional powers in their permanent spots.

I've already illustrated why rotating opponents do not make up for this!

I want all of them to have tons of competition. If it were up to me, we would be rid of the cupcakes as well too, although it benefits those schools much more financially. I want all the smoke. I believe it will only benefit the school, the players and the conference.

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

I want all of them to have tons of competition. If it were up to me, we would be rid of the cupcakes as well too, although it benefits those schools much more financially. I want all the smoke. I believe it will only benefit the school, the players and the conference.

I would drop the regular season down to 10 games, especially with the expanded playoff.

The math shows that UAT and UGA *will* be getting an easier road if they get their desired three (MSU and USCe respectively).

As I said, yes, I remember when UAT was very weak. It's one thing to be on top for just a few years and then fall back down ala FSU with Jameis. But the MCU didn't even exist the last time UAT wasn't elite. That's something a bit more long term. Since Saban could easily be there 10 more years, just saying "it's all cyclical bro!" doesn't work, sorry!

Edited by AUwent

10 minutes ago, AUwent said:

I started following when UAT was in the depths of probation, FYI.

soyou have seen almost  one cycle of bama

8 minutes ago, DAG said:

The thing is even if we get VANDY, we will just get an additional "tough" opponent who is not considered a permanent rival. That is why I do not understand the gnashing of teeth about this.

I agree.  it really doesn't matter from a competition standpoint.  I  want recruiting and fun atmospheres.  If we  "get"  Vandy,  Ms State, and Missouri,  they will suddenly become dynasty's until the next schedule change anyway.    :)

Vandy is a fun trip.  I'd take Nashville every other year.

Edited by Quietmaninthecorner
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

I agree.  it really doesn't matter from a competition standpoint.  I  want recruiting and fun atmospheres.  If we  "get"  Vandy,  Ms State, and Missouri,  they will suddenly become dynasty's until the next schedule change anyway.    :)

Vandy is a fun trip.  I'd take Nashville every other year.

Moreso than every four years! Ha, you fell into my trap!

Your first point though, I better not hear you complaining about going to Tampa or Houston for NY all the time.

Edited by AUwent
  • Facepalm 1

3 minutes ago, AUwent said:

I would drop the regular season down to 10 games, especially with the expanded playoff.

The math shows that UAT and UGA *will* be getting an easier road if they get their desired three (MSU and USCe respectively).

That is irrelevant because they are the best of the best. So everyone will be looking at them. What you cannot comprehend for whatever reason is that even if we get Vandy

We can still have a rotational six of: Oklahoma. UF, LSU. Arkansas, Miss state,  Tennessee.

The road is not going to be that much easier. If anything, they will probably make sure we don't get a Mizzou and VANDY at the same time if they are both down. 

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

That is irrelevant because they are the best of the best. So everyone will be looking at them. What you cannot comprehend for whatever reason is that even if we get Vandy

We can still have a rotational six of: Oklahoma. UF, LSU. Arkansas, Miss state,  Tennessee.

The road is not going to be that much easier. If anything, they will probably make sure we don't get a Mizzou and VANDY at the same time if they are both down. 

#1--I understand that there's six other games. But we'll still be averaging 5.5 games a year against the "upper nine" while everyone else is averaging at least half a game lower (us = 6/5 and everyone else = 5/5 or 6/4).

#2--Then why should every other team get one?

Edited by AUwent

2 minutes ago, AUwent said:

#1--I understand that there's six other games. But we'll still be averaging 5.5 games a year against the "upper nine" while everyone else is averaging 4.5.

#2--Then why should every other team get one?

You clearly don't understand that because you are hyperfocused on getting what you consider an easy victory with Vandy. Okay you get that easy victory then the SEC says but we are going to make it balanced and give you an additional credible foe as a rotating opponent. What is the difference?  

17 minutes ago, DAG said:

You clearly don't understand that because you are hyperfocused on getting what you consider an easy victory with Vandy. Okay you get that easy victory then the SEC says but we are going to make it balanced and give you an additional credible foe as a rotating opponent. What is the difference?  

Vandy would be compensation for getting the two best programs in the country, neither of whom look to be ceding that perch in the next decade. We're getting both of them for sure, so maybe have some balance?

But okay, fine, maybe the Cowbells instead. Just, can we PLEASE not be the only ones getting three traditional powers in our perma spots, when I've proven that those spots have greater weight on the schedule than the rotating?

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

When was Vandy a powerhouse? They've been bad for 100 years. And they aren't becoming a powerhouse in a decade or the decade after that. They are an entirely different institution that honestly doesn't belong in the SEC, at least as far as football. 

I'm all for playing Bama and UGA every year. Those are rival games that matter.

I don't agree with everything @AUwent says about scheduling, but of course he's right about traditional powers vs. the rest of the SEC. The traditional Big 6 will outperform the rest of the SEC over any reasonable sample of time. That's why they're the Big 6. 

Of course, all 6 can't be on top at the same time. Some have to be up and some have to be down in a given season. I wouldn't call that "cyclical" when discussing the SEC as a whole. 

Edited by cbo
typo
  • Love 1

23 minutes ago, cbo said:

When was Vandy a powerhouse? They've been bad for 100 years. And they aren't becoming a powerhouse in a decade or the decade after that.  

They were strong in the 1920's.  They were  powerful in the 1940's.   Until they decided to de emphasize athletics, they were more than competitive.  

As bad as they have been lately, they are still one of only a handful of teams that do not have a losing record to Auburn.  They are one of the original founders of what we now call the SEC.  I think 8 or 9 undefeated seasons.   They have as much SEC history and provenance as ANY SEC team.

They have the money to become a powerhouse with a few years if they decided to.  They cold easily outbid us or bama or uga for recruits.   They have the money to build  new buildings for everything.   a new stadium, the works.   

What they do not have  is the gumption or drive to do any of these things at the moment,  but a new generation is starting to grumble.

interesting tidbit of vandy's early success i just ran across...

"Vanderbilt football became so popular in Nashville, a new Dudley Field was constructed in 1922. It was the first football-only stadium in the South. Yost’s Michigan squad was the opponent for the inaugural game, which saw the heavy underdog Commodores fight the Wolverines to a 0-0 draw. Captain Jess Neely led the way for Vanderbilt that historic afternoon. McGugin retired from coaching in 1934 and died two years later. He is Vanderbilt’s all-time winningest football coach with an amazing record of 197-55-19"

Edited by Quietmaninthecorner