Your choice for the 3 permanent opponents?

gr82b4au

On 2/14/2023 at 7:29 PM, NWALA Tiger said:

Yall think we will get stuck with both Georgia and Bummer?

Unfortunately, I think they'll try their best to.  It's best for everyone except Auburn so it's gonna take an AD with a massive set to fight back. I hope Cohen rises to the challenge 

• Like 1

I guess I am in the minority but I want UGA and Alabama as permeant opponents.  Auburn isn't one to shy away from challenges and there is no reason to start now with the right coach behind us in Freeze. 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I guess I am in the minority but I want UGA and Alabama as permeant opponents.

Same. As many teams as possible should get their top 2 rivals as permanents. That being said I'd be ok trading UGa for UF. UF was our #3 rival before the SEC was split into divisions.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Same. As many teams as possible should get their top 2 rivals as permanents. That being said I'd be ok trading UGa for UF. UF was our #3 rival before the SEC was split into divisions.

When I was at Auburn in the 80’s the Florida game was huge and a great rivalry. I hated Florida but I hated losing that rivalry more.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Unfortunately, I think they'll try their best to.  It's best for everyone except Auburn so it's gonna take an AD with a massive set to fight back. I hope Cohen rises to the challenge 

That's my thoughts as well.  Some on here see it as wimping out of we try to get out if playing GA and Bama

Edited by NWALA Tiger

Jesus, people ITT seriously arguing to drop one of Alabama/UGA.  My god people, grow a pair.

They need to go back to alternating home/away.  That's it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 2

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

Jesus, people ITT seriously arguing to drop one of Alabama/UGA.  My god people, grow a pair.

It's not about "a pair". I don't see how anyone enjoys these "rivalries" anymore, anyway. They've become largely hateful rather than fun. I'd much rather just rotate opponents than see those two every year. But, I know I'm a minority on that and I realize we're an important foil for those two programs to show their superiority for the broadcasters, so we'll likely get screwed and have to play those plus LSU every year... as always. 

• Like 4

On 2/15/2023 at 11:51 AM, DAG said:

And guess what? Say we get a vandy as a permanent opponent, the SEC is just going to add an additional tough opponent in one of the six games lol. Then people are going to be crying about that haha.

YEP!

In the new system even if 2 teams aren't permanent opponents, they still play every other year.  So IF we get UGA/UAT/Vandy as our permanent, that doesn't mean we get to avoid LSU/aTm/UF/Okl/Texas/Tennessee or our recent nemesis South Carolina.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, aucom96 said:

I don't see how anyone enjoys these "rivalries" anymore, anyway. They've become largely hateful rather than fun

That's because we step on our own and can't win consistently. 

Go back to "fear the thumb" and your mindset will change

• Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, aucom96 said:

It's not about "a pair". I don't see how anyone enjoys these "rivalries" anymore, anyway. They've become largely hateful rather than fun. I'd much rather just rotate opponents than see those two every year. But, I know I'm a minority on that and I realize we're an important foil for those two programs to show their superiority for the broadcasters, so we'll likely get screwed and have to play those plus LSU every year... as always. 

I’ve been thinking the rivalries are less hateful these days.  Fans seem much more knowledgeable about other programs and give credit where due and grace where appropriate.  20 years ago it was downright toxic.

My opinion…give me a schedule full of cupcakes so we can enjoy obliterating every opponent and rack up insane stats.  At the end of the year the media will say how awesome we are and give us an automatic playoff spot.  That’ll happen every year and we’ll be called a dynasty.  Money and recruits will flow in and fan support will remain high.

• Like 1

I do miss the Florida and Tennessee rivalries.  I am going to say it like someone else did though.  If you had to choose between those two for a recruiting advantage you definitely go with Florida.  High school football in Tennessee is 💩.

• Like 4

I'm sure we will get Bama and UGA as permanent rivals and I'm all for it. Those games are a lot of fun when we are good. If we are not good, it doesn't matter anyway. 

• Like 1

So is it definitely going to be 3 permanent rivals? I'd be fine with 1 permanent rival and rotate the other 14 by playing 7 one year and 7 the next. If Bama is permanent then Auburn could play Georgia, Florida, Texas one year and LSU, Tennessee and Oklahoma the next along with 4 of the remaining 8 each season. That's about as even as I can imagine for all. 

Auburn/ Alabama

Georgia/ Florida

Oklahoma/ Texas 

LSU/ A&M

Miss State/ Ole Miss 

Tennessee/ Vandy 

South Carolina/ Kentucky

Arkansas/ Missouri

Those would be my thoughts on the permanent games. I know 9 game schedules are popular but I think this could even it out more . 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cbo said:

I'm sure we will get Bama and UGA as permanent rivals and I'm all for it. Those games are a lot of fun when we are good. If we are not good, it doesn't matter anyway. 

I’m sure we will.  I would love to see us go back to having one of them on the road and one at home each year while playing both games in November.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JerryAU said:

YEP!

In the new system even if 2 teams aren't permanent opponents, they still play every other year.  So IF we get UGA/UAT/Vandy as our permanent, that doesn't mean we get to avoid LSU/aTm/UF/Okl/Texas/Tennessee or our recent nemesis South Carolina.  

Not sure how they would do that with 6 remaining Big 9 teams we aren't playing every year. If they split it 4-2 instead of 3-3 thwy make bias against us obvious.

5 hours ago, abw0004 said:

I guess I am in the minority but I want UGA and Alabama as permeant opponents.  Auburn isn't one to shy away from challenges and there is no reason to start now with the right coach behind us in Freeze. 

I've been one of those griping about playing them both for years but the circumstances have changed quite a bit with the new playoff format.  There used to be no room for error with only 4 teams advancing.  Look at 2017 when we beat Bama, then Georgia, but lost to Georgia in the SEC championship game. That was an insane and unfair gauntlet to have to run.

But now with 12 teams in the playoff, we still would have advanced.  Add in the fact that there likely won't be an SEC championship game, and that you have to play everyone every other year anyway, it's not that big of a deal. At least Georgia and Alabama can't duck each other for close to a decade.  And losses to Bama and Georgia won't hurt you that much in making a 12 team playoff. I say bring it on. But I would like a Vandy or even MSU for the 3rd opponent.  Heck, I might even be ok with Ole Miss.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, toddc said:

When I was at Auburn in the 80’s the Florida game was huge and a great rivalry. I hated Florida but I hated losing that rivalry more.

It’s sad that we have only played Florida 4 times in the past 20 years 

• Like 3

Just now, WarEagle1982 said:

It’s sad that we have only played Florida 4 times in the past 20 years 

Right ?! It’s such a great atmosphere 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, aucom96 said:

Well, we now know Auburn has hit rock bottom. 

When our fan base no longer enjoys seeing our Tigers go up against our main rivals AND we have to watch the team literally struggle with the likes of freaking MSU/SoCarolina, etc. :puke:

• Like 1