2/14/23 Auburn Articles

aubiefifty

Suddenly a veteran, Jarquez Hunter 'does everything right' in Auburn's building

Nathan King
5–6 minutes

Cadillac Williams has two sons, Cole and Cuin. They were right by his side during his four-game stint as Auburn's interim head coach, before and after games.

And Williams has said at the end of the season that if they grew up to be like Jarquez Hunter, he'd be more than thrilled as a father.

“Well, I don’t have a girl, but if I did have a girl, he would be that guy I would want my daughter to date," Williams joked. "He’s that kind of guy."

As Hunter prepares this offseason to take Auburn's starting running back mantle, which Tank Bigsby leaves behind after three successful seasons and the seventh-most rushing yards in program history, the junior is considering his status around Auburn's buildings — in meetings, in workouts, in conversations with coaches and freshmen — as equally important as his growth as a ball-carrier.

In many ways, Williams sees Hunter trying to be like Bigsby, who was a leader on the roster as soon

“I see it each and every day," Williams said of Hunter's leadership earlier this month. "He’s a guy that’s always around the building. What’s good about it is he’s not always in my office; he’s in Coach Montgomery’s office, he’s in Coach Thornton’s office, he’s in Coach Freeze’s office. ... Now it’s just challenging him to get on that leadership role, being more vocal, but man, I’m excited for Jarquez. There’s not a better human being in the world than that young man. Just does everything right, treating people the right way, so those are the type of guys you definitely root for."

The former 3-star recruit from Mississippi bided his time behind Bigsby for two full seasons, and now it appears he's in line to be Auburn's lead tailback for Hugh Freeze's offense in 2023. There are plenty of reasons for the Tigers to be excited about that: Hunter was an effective runner as a freshman, then made more strides last year, finishing with 675 yards and seven touchdowns, plus 17 receptions and two more scores through the air. Hunter's 6.5 yards per carry in 2022 are the second-most by a returning SEC running back who had at least 100 carries (Arkansas' Raheim Sanders).

At 5-foot-10 and 202 pounds, Hunter was one of the best tailbacks in the country after Williams took over as interim head coach. In Auburn's final four games, Hunter went for 411 yards, including three straight 100-yard performances to end the year, and 134 yards against Alabama in Tuscaloosa.

Williams said Hunter still has the same grind-it-out mindset he's touted since he was that under-recruited prospect from Philadelphia, Mississippi, who chose the Tigers over Ole Miss and Mississippi State. They've known each other since Auburn first started recruiting him in 2020.

"Jarquez was very under-recruited," Williams said. "Thank God that we needed a need, and he wound up choosing us. But honestly, I could tell probably about after that second day in pads, guys just bounced off of him. He had this awkward running style where, like, he’s strong as an ox, and when he puts on pads, he’s going to break tackles. I could just remember telling Coach (Mike) Bobo, like, you know, ‘That guy is going to be a real dude. He’s a dude.’"

Of course, like every role on the roster, Auburn isn't guaranteeing anything to Hunter. He'll have to compete against USF transfer Brian Battie, who was a 1,000-yard rusher last season, while youngsters Damari Alston and Jeremiah Cobb will be hungry to see the field in their redshirt freshman and freshman seasons, respectively.

Hunter has been groomed for the No. 1 running back job at Auburn for some time, but it's not one he's assuming he has locked down.

"I think he’s ready to carry on any type of role that we’re willing to give him," Williams said. "I definitely think he can be that lead dog. I think he’s one of the most talented backs in the country. I think he’s one of the better backs in the country — great contact balance, a guy who runs behind his pads, breaks tackles, can catch out of the backfield, can pass-protect, so he’s a back that can do it all. I’m just looking forward to his development. I’m continuing to look forward to his growth, continuing to look forward to his role that he creates for himself this year.”

Added Williams: "I don't think he knows how good he is. I don’t think he even knows the intangible and the traits that he’s got, and I love it. He’s all ears. He’s like a sponge. He’s soaking everything up you tell him. He’s soaking everything; he wants to be the best."

• Like 1
  • Love 1

WR Nick Mardner reunited with Marcus Davis at Auburn, also 'wanted a challenge'

Published: Feb. 13, 2023, 3:00 p.m.
4–5 minutes

1. Auburn Football

Transfer WR Nick Mardner ‘wanted a challenge’ while reuniting with Marcus Davis at Auburn

Nick Mardner, Robert Floyd, Jack Howell

Hawaii wide receiver Nick Mardner (84) makes a catch at the goal line as he is closely defended by Colorado State defensive backs Robert Floyd (25) and Jack Howell (17) to score a touchdown during the second half of an NCAA college football game, Saturday, Nov. 20, 2021, in Honolulu. (AP Photo/Darryl Oumi)AP

Marcus Davis doesn’t take lightly what it means to play wide receiver at Auburn.

The Tigers’ new wide receivers coach has been there, done that. Before he took over the room as part of Hugh Freeze’s inaugural staff at Auburn, Davis was on the other side of the equation as a wide receiver on the Plains from 2013-16.

So, when Davis had the opportunity to go out and add a wide receiver to Auburn’s roster not long after being hired at his alma mater, he already knew the type of person and player he had in mind.

Read more Auburn football: Auburn AD John Cohen “very comfortable” with process that led to hiring of Hugh Freeze

Ron Roberts’ goal for Auburn’s defense? Cause plenty of havoc

Why Cadillac Williams was “ecstatic” that Auburn landed USF running back transfer Brian Battie

“This place means a lot to me, so it had to be the right fit and the right person,” Davis said.

Davis wasted little time in approaching one of his former players for the opportunity to join him on the Plains. Nick Mardner played wide receiver for Davis at Hawaii in 2021 before transferring to Cincinnati last season. Mardner entered the portal again in early December, this time as a grad transfer.

Davis was hired at Auburn on Dec. 27, and within a week and a half, Mardner was on campus for a visit.

“He wanted a challenge for himself,” Davis said. “…I think he checked all those boxes (of what I was looking for), and that’s what was more of the conversation than anything: him being the right fit and him wanting this challenge.”

In transferring to Auburn as part of the Tigers’ impressive haul during the first transfer portal window, Mardner reunites with the position coach under whom he had his most productive season. Mardner comes to Auburn with 81 career receptions for 1,488 yards and 11 touchdowns, with the majority of that production coming during Davis’ lone season as an assistant at Hawaii, which was also his first as a full-time on-field coach.

During their 2021 campaign together, Mardner finished with career highs in receptions (46), receiving yards (913) and touchdowns (five). He had three 100-yard performances, and he was also 10th among all qualifying FBS receivers in yards per reception that season, averaging 19.8 yards per catch.

“What I think he brings is the combination of size and speed,” Davis said. “He’s every bit of 6-5, and he can run.”

RELATED: “That was wild”: How Auburn climbed the 2023 recruiting rankings after late-season coaching change

Mardner’s experience will be welcome at Auburn, which doesn’t return another wide receiver on the roster whose career production compares to Mardner’s best season at Hawaii. Ja’Varrius Johnson is the closest in that regard, with 45 receptions for 767 yards and five touchdowns over the last two seasons. Mardner, who is listed at 6-foot-6 and 215 pounds on Auburn’s official roster, will also be the tallest and rangiest receiver in the room for the Tigers this season, with the type of frame that the program hasn’t seen at the position in years.

With spring practices just around the corner, Davis and Mardner will soon be reunited on the field — and the veteran wide receiver will have his first opportunity to show he’s up for the challenge of playing at Auburn and in the SEC.

“I’m looking forward to it,” Davis said. “…That’s something he definitely can bring to the room — and we’ve got other guys in the room that can do some things, as well, that probably didn’t have the opportunity. The biggest thing for me is getting everybody together, getting them on the same page — because competition is going to bring the best out in everybody.”

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

• Thanks 1

• Like 1

• Like 1

• Like 1

11 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

Hunter's 6.5 yards per carry in 2022 are the second-most by a returning SEC running back who had at least 100 carries

Behind our OL, that stat is absolutely insane!!!