Super Bowl

SaltyTiger

29 minutes ago, PUB78 said:

No, that wouldn’t offend me at all. Both songs are for everyone.

But wouldn't both of those songs be put on the same plane as the National Anthem?

God Bless America is a bad example since it is technically a patriotic song, but Amazing Grace is not an everyone song. Amazing Grace is a Christian song.

I guess I'm just wired differently and dont see a problem with singing songs before the National Anthem that, one, played alone doesnt offend anyone, and two, celebrates group(s) of people in the US. It's not like the songs take time or attention away from the National Anthem. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, arein0 said:

But wouldn't both of those songs be put on the same plane as the National Anthem?

God Bless America is a bad example since it is technically a patriotic song, but Amazing Grace is not an everyone song. Amazing Grace is a Christian song.

I guess I'm just wired differently and dont see a problem with singing songs before the National Anthem that, one, played alone doesnt offend anyone, and two, celebrates group(s) of people in the US. It's not like the songs take time or attention away from the National Anthem. 

God’s “ Amazing Grace” is for everyone.

7 hours ago, PUB78 said:

God’s “ Amazing Grace” is for everyone.

So to be clear, you are not okay with Lift Every Voice and Sing to be played before the National Anthem because it is put on the same stage. But you would be okay with Amazing Grace being played in its place because it is a song for everyone?

I think I need to put this because of our history, but I'm not trying to argue. I'm just trying to understand your POV.

Edited by arein0

52 minutes ago, arein0 said:

Yea, not a bad read, but definitely an opinion piece. The NFL  has embraced an agenda of social justice and political correctness. As  a result of promoting these ideas, they have lost many viewers. NFL has a real blue collar following although the overwhelming majority of their players are black. It’s going to be interesting to see what happens in the future.

As far as Manifest Destiny, I firmly believe God established America as a City on the Hill, to be a force for spreading his word and assisting those in need.

6 minutes ago, PUB78 said:

Yea, not a bad read, but definitely an opinion piece. The NFL  has embraced an agenda of social justice and political correctness. As  a result of promoting these ideas, they have lost many viewers. NFL has a real blue collar following although the overwhelming majority of their players are black. It’s going to be interesting to see what happens in the future.

That may be  what Republican politicians and Fox News say, but it's not true. 

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2023/01/06/nfl-82-top-100-american-television-broadcasts-2022-nielsen-ratings

https://www.sportico.com/business/media/2023/nfl-games-account-for-82-of-100-top-tv-broadcasts-1234700381/

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2023/01/nfl-ratings-season-decline-cbs-fox-nbc-hit-highs/

NFL regular season this year had a small 3% decrease from a strong year last season mainly due to Thursday night Football moving from regular tv to Amazon Prime Streaming, which vastly decreased the viewership for those games. Traditional viewership on CBS, NBC and Fox were very strong though and increased from last year.

NFL dominated tv being 82 of the top 100 most views programs of 2022, made record advertising revenue this season, and this Superbowl was one of the most watched of all time. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CoffeeTiger said:

That may be  what Republican politicians and Fox News say, but it's not true. 

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2023/01/06/nfl-82-top-100-american-television-broadcasts-2022-nielsen-ratings

https://www.sportico.com/business/media/2023/nfl-games-account-for-82-of-100-top-tv-broadcasts-1234700381/

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2023/01/nfl-ratings-season-decline-cbs-fox-nbc-hit-highs/

NFL regular season this year had a small 3% decrease from a strong year last season mainly due to Thursday night Football moving from regular tv to Amazon Prime Streaming, which vastly decreased the viewership for those games. Traditional viewership on CBS, NBC and Fox were very strong though and increased from last year.

NFL dominated tv being 82 of the top 100 most views programs of 2022, made record advertising revenue this season, and this Superbowl was one of the most watched of all time. 

Can agree with you on NFL pure football. Got a little aggravated with celebration years ago but seems that was quelled. Difference in college and professional is night and day. Not near the penalties or reviews. Love it during playoffs and Super Bowl time. In the south college football is so huge hard to fit Sunday in. Plus weather is great and time to be out enjoying an afternoon. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, arein0 said:

So to be clear, you are not okay with Lift Every Voice and Sing to be played before the National Anthem because it is put on the same stage. But you would be okay with Amazing Grace being played in its place because it is a song for everyone?

I think I need to put this because of our history, but I'm not trying to argue. I'm just trying to understand your POV.

Sing the National Anthem or sing nothing…jmo

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Would you feel differently if they used its original title, “Lift Every Voice and Sing”?

The announcer introduced the song as, "Please welcome to the stage (performer) as she performs Lift Every Voice and Sing."

42 minutes ago, arein0 said:

The announcer introduced the song as, "Please welcome to the stage (performer) as she performs Lift Every Voice and Sing."

I’m asking if it was not colloquially known as and often referred to as such— is there anything in the actual lyrics critics find objectionable?

This professor is an expert on the song & loves it, but suggests that label is misplaced and counterproductive:

https://www.ajc.com/news/local/professor-the-expert-lift-every-voice/4EVK8Oo3WjFWa36ZRnzl0H/

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Can agree with you on NFL pure football. Got a little aggravated with celebration years ago but seems that was quelled. Difference in college and professional is night and day. Not near the penalties or reviews. Love it during playoffs and Super Bowl time. In the south college football is so huge hard to fit Sunday in. Plus weather is great and time to be out enjoying an afternoon. 

Yeah, I keep up with the NFL and like you, enjoy the playoffs and superbowl, but I usually only watch a few NFL games in the regular season. 

After Saturdays of college ball I have to spend Sundays doing other stuff. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

I’m asking if it was not colloquially known as and often referred to as such— is there anything in the actual lyrics critics find objectionable?

This professor is an expert on the song & loves it, but suggests that label is misplaced and counterproductive:

https://www.ajc.com/news/local/professor-the-expert-lift-every-voice/4EVK8Oo3WjFWa36ZRnzl0H/

"Personally, I think that it does promote racial separatism to call any cultural symbol a national anthem when we have a national anthem. I’m a black person, and I love black culture, but I believe that we are one America and that we should think of ourselves as Americans. Calling this song an African-American song of identity is one thing, but saying it’s a black national anthem is another thing that creates problems that can be perceived as separatist or racist."

I agree. Calling it the "Black National Anthem" is divisive. Playing both songs isn't the issue most folks have. 

12 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

Would you feel differently if they used its original title, “Lift Every Voice and Sing”?

No it would not. Why accompany the Anthem with another song? 

12 hours ago, arein0 said:

But the National Anthem was sung and had a beautiful rendition.

Sure it was. Singing Black National Anthem doesn’t get me stirred. Just really don’t understand the reasoning. People claiming the NFL seizing opportunity to display wokeness. The all women fly over team also deemed an act of wokeness by some.

32 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

No it would not. Why accompany the Anthem with another song? 

Would America the Beautiful bother you? Lee Greenwood’s Proud to be American?

I have a question to everyone that is offended by the playing of the song "Lift Every Voice and Sing." 

Do you all get this upset anytime you see a Confederate Flag? 

Just now, arein0 said:

I have a question to everyone that is offended by the playing of the song "Lift Every Voice and Sing." 

Do you all get this upset anytime you see a Confederate Flag? 

Who is upset?

30 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Would America the Beautiful bother you? Lee Greenwood’s Proud to be American?

Sing the Anthem and do the others at halftime or in a pre game show. Not sure “bother” is the right word.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Sing the Anthem and do the others at halftime or in a pre game show. Not sure “bother” is the right word.

Lift Every Voice and Sing was performed in the pre game festivities. The only people on the field besides the performers were the Players being honored as the Walter Payton Player of the Year. The teams hadn't even come out of the locker room yet. They didnt ask anyone to stand, salute, or even be quiet. I'm not sure how people are saying it was put on the same stage as the National Anthem.