Meanest player at Auburn?

aubiefifty

On 2/12/2023 at 10:30 AM, Grumps said:

Was it Reese Dismukes who through a 5-star recruit out of an Auburn bar on a recruiting trip because he was trying to recruit other prospects away from Auburn? That's pretty hardcore, if true!!!

Yep that was Dismukes throwing Rueben Foster out of the Skybar. Foster was an Auburn High guy supposedly committed to AU. But bama offered his momma a deal she couldn't turn down. She had a little store out on highway 14. Foster was trying to get other AU commits to change to bama with him and Dismukes threw him out of the Skybar. Foster officially flipped to bama the next day and momma's store suddenly closed.

• Thanks 2

Phil Gargis no doubt had to be one of the meanest and toughest. Didn't want to be caught in Leighton Al. after dark, especially if you didn't have on a letterman jacket with that big gold "C" on it. 

• Angry 1

On 2/11/2023 at 3:24 PM, JuscAUse! said:

This is the problem. Everyone on the team wants the shot at crunch time. Nobody makes the shot at crunch time. Every . Game . 

10 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Without a doubt it Bobby Hoppe not even close. As for players I had interaction with it would be Tom Banks who played center meanest dirtiest player I knew. Langner wasn't the meanest but he was a dirty player

Banks was a high school All-American in 1965 and represented Alabama in the Junior Olympics. At Auburn University he was a First Team All-SEC center as sophomore, First Team All-SEC 1968, First Team All-SEC center 1969 and Auburn co-captain, and Third Team All-American 1969. He played in the 1970 Senior Bowl in and was drafted in the eighth round by St. Louis. He played 11 seasons with the Cardinals, where he was All-Pro from 1975-78. 

Photo of Tom Banks below.

tombanks.jpg

Didn't Banks play with Conrad Dobler? I noticed that Dobler passed away today and I know he was voted dirtiest player in the NFL for years in a row. Probably made Banks look OK in comparison.

1 hour ago, cctiger said:

Phil Gargis no doubt had to be one of the meanest and toughest. Didn't want to be caught in Leighton Al. after dark, especially if you didn't have on a letterman jacket with that big gold "C" on it. 

Hmmmm. Never heard that bout Leighton

1 hour ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Hmmmm. Never heard that bout Leighton

We scored 16 points on them at Leighton one Friday and still got beat, and had to fight our way out of the end of the stadium to the locker rooms. Things sure have changed a lot in the last 55-50 years.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, cctiger said:

Golf, that was pretty good dough for hay hauling back then. We hauled for a Mr. Bailey and a few others back then and he only paid .50 cents an hour! Hauled a many a bale of hay for that old man up around Littleville, Spring Valley, and New Bethel over a 3 year period. I'd like to have got in on some of that dollar an hour hauling...LOL! 

Damn .50 cents that's crazy for hauling hay even back then. Dad also fed all the guys for lunch my Uncle owned the King Drive in Russellville and he would cook about 40 hamburgers/fries and all the coke/pepsi we could drink plus he had an soft ice machine and supplied us with ice all day. Me and Dwain Hatton, he played defensive end,  would work the trailer loading bails so we never had to walk that much but we did have to pick up every bail to stack it and put on a conveyor to go up into the barn loft. Stacking hay inside a barn loft is hot as hell.

And Littleville you say that's were I learn to play golf at Twin Pines CC. started playing when I was 12 years old. Lots of memories at Twin Pines CC

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, JuscAUse! said:

Didn't Banks play with Conrad Dobler? I noticed that Dobler passed away today and I know he was voted dirtiest player in the NFL for years in a row. Probably made Banks look OK in comparison.

He did for the St Louis Cardinals and Dobler made Banks look like a nice guy but both playing side by side was a force to deal with 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cctiger said:

We never lost to Leighton but that was before Gargis time. They had some great teams in my day usually we were the only team to beat them. Actually Leon Douglas played against us his soph. year

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Damn .50 cents that's crazy for hauling hay even back then. Dad also fed all the guys for lunch my Uncle owned the King Drive in Russellville and he would cook about 40 hamburgers/fries and all the coke/pepsi we could drink plus he had an soft ice machine and supplied us with ice all day. Me and Dwain Hatton, he played defensive end,  would work the trailer loading bails so we never had to walk that much but we did have to pick up every bail to stack it and put on a conveyor to go up into the barn loft. Stacking hay inside a barn loft is hot as hell.

And Littleville you say that's were I learn to play golf at Twin Pines CC. started playing when I was 12 years old. Lots of memories at Twin Pines CC

Well, to be fair Golf, Mr. Baily did feed us and supply cokes/Pepsi's. And dadgum, y'all had a conveyor!? You had it made! was all y'all in some kind of a hay hauling union we didn't know about back then....LOL! Played some basketball at Littleville back in the day. That was way before they shut down all the Jr. high schools in the county. And i've been to the Kings drive-in many, many times. And got a brother-in-law that still lives in Littleville. Is it still in the family?

1 minute ago, cctiger said:

Well, to be fair Golf, Mr. Baily did feed us and supply cokes/Pepsi's. And dadgum, y'all had a conveyor!? You had it made! was all y'all in some kind of a hay hauling union we didn't know about back then....LOL! Played some basketball at Littleville back in the day. That was way before they shut down all the Jr. high schools in the county. And i've been to the Kings drive-in many, many times. And got a brother-in-law that still lives in Littleville. Is it still in the family?

No my cousin sold it a about 15 years ago and yes we had it made with the conveyor. thank god 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cole256 said:

As far as guys I've interacted with, mean as far as being a complete Dick. I got in a scuffle with the corner with the last name of casher. He was a 5 th year senior or graduate assistant or something.....couldn't stand him.

Travarious Robison was a pos. Saw heath Evans once and he was acting like a diva. Roderick Hood was a horrible person. 

As far literally mean scary Tavarus Pounds.....I saw him do things.....let's just say even the other football players treaded lightly with him....oh the stories I could tell. I think he's a big time sheriff now if I'm not mistaken. 

Trey Blackmon had a short temper and was almost bipolar it seemed. Nicest guy in the world but he'd snap for no reason. And I think it was mayo sowell he had a similar temperament but not as scary. I found out I unknowingly messed around with a girl that I guess he'd be on and off again a bunch. That was a scary time for me.

Heard years ago Heath Evans was a dick. Surprised about Casher. If I remember right he was like 5’7”. Maybe played for Patriots. Never heard anything about his. character. Also surprised at TRob. 

16 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

We never lost to Leighton but that was before Gargis time. They had some great teams in my day usually we were the only team to beat them. Actually Leon Douglas played against us his soph. year

They were rough back in the day. Gargis was a year behind me. Leighton and Cherokee were the 2 toughest teams that we played each year. We never beat Leighton or Cherokee. We never played Russellville.

9 hours ago, cctiger said:

We scored 16 points on them at Leighton one Friday and still got beat, and had to fight our way out of the end of the stadium to the locker rooms. Things sure have changed a lot in the last 55-50 years.

That's where I played my high school ball 35+ yrs ago. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cctiger said:

They were rough back in the day. Gargis was a year behind me. Leighton and Cherokee were the 2 toughest teams that we played each year. We never beat Leighton or Cherokee. We never played Russellville.

Who did you play for? We also played Cherokee every year. God I hated Cherokee stadium

• Like 1

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

Who did you play for? We also played Cherokee every year. God I hated Cherokee stadium

Colbert Heights. I went through spring training at Cherokee but the county installed zoning and had to attend The Heights. Always wanted to play ball for Coach Mills. And the stadium hasn't changed much since then Golf. They have new bleachers and scoreboard, thats about it. I have a granddaughter that's a cheerleader there now. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

That's where I played my high school ball 35+ yrs ago. 

Who was HC there at that time?