Men vs Alabama Game Thread

Maverick.AU

2 hours ago, 1716AU said:

To be honest, I have real doubts about Bruce Pearl

Not comparing the teams/players but it an interesting tidbit. To add, I think many thought Traore and Westry would come in and be game changers and that's hasn't been the case.

Tre has a lot to build on but needs a little bit of game maturity and I think he could grow into a stud. If you're having to have lior berman guard Brandon miller late in the game, that's not ideal.

Jaylin and Moore are really role players on most teams but we expect starting caliber stuff from them, but Bruce even said prior to the season that he would feel bad not giving them their shot for always being team players and sticking with AU.

Flan is Flan, shows nba talent one minute and completely kills momentum the next.

Given that, as several have said, it's pretty good coaching job with how things have fallen into place from that standpoint. The positive as it seems we are in a really good spot when it comes to the 2024 class, could be the highest rated class we have signed in AU history.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A Rylan Griffen is someone we needed more than air this year. Just as sound as Zep defensively, laser three pointer, and can confidently attack poor close outs. Kid made Wendell’s life hell. 

I think you might have 3 more wins if you literally just switched Zep and him 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Maverick.AU said:

Not comparing the teams/players but it an interesting tidbit. To add, I think many thought Traore and Westry would come in and be game changers and that's hasn't been the case.

Tre has a lot to build on but needs a little bit of game maturity and I think he could grow into a stud. If you're having to have lior berman guard Brandon miller late in the game, that's not ideal.

Jaylin and Moore are really role players on most teams but we expect starting caliber stuff from them, but Bruce even said prior to the season that he would feel bad not giving them their shot for always being team players and sticking with AU.

Flan is Flan, shows nba talent one minute and completely kills momentum the next.

Given that, as several have said, it's pretty good coaching job with how things have fallen into place from that standpoint. The positive as it seems we are in a really good spot when it comes to the 2024 class, could be the highest rated class we have signed in AU history.

We need to have some more against invoking the final four team’s name unnecessarily. The absolute best case scenario for this team amongst any of the good ones is the 19-20 one: front loaded wins against traffic cones in OOC, and poor offense consistently dragged them down in conference play. And even that is insulting to the 19-20 team 

THIS team just can’t play both sides of basketball at the same time. I haven’t seen them do it for more than 10% of any game 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

Everybody knows the thing that frustrates me is Mark. Because when you think about it bammer is supposed to have that other guy playing. The PG. So they had him coming back AND they signed their freshman 5 star guy. But when Mark entered the portal they didn't do the we already have so and so, they added talent.

If they didn't have Mark right now they probably would be hurting. That's how vital adding talent is. It's just crazy we'd turn away people and on top of that it's when we saw we needed guys. They kept adding and they didn't even have the same type of letdown we did. 

We just don't ever need to get complacent. 

Oats runs that program in attack mode, i.e bringing in Sears when he already had a guy.  Attack attack and stock up talent.  Hell, give yourself options and develop your guys for depth down the stretch.  I knew several weeks ago Sears was a huge miss that our coaches could’ve easily acquired.  Oh well, onward and upward. 

Just now, keesler said:

Oats runs that program in attack mode, i.e bringing in Sears when he already had a guy.  Attack attack and stock up talent.  Hell, give yourself options and develop your guys for depth down the stretch.  I knew several weeks ago Sears was a huge miss that our coaches could’ve easily acquired.  Oh well, onward and upward. 

This deal is about Bruce promising Wendell, Zep, and KD that he wouldn’t recruit any other guards (and being loyal to that) is either the biggest load of crock I’ve heard in a while or an absolute dumb a$$ move by an otherwise smart lifetime basketball man. We needed one of those for this roster, not all 3. I don’t think any of them would start for any of the top teams. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

This deal is about Bruce promising Wendell, Zep, and KD that he wouldn’t recruit any other guards (and being loyal to that) is either the biggest load of crock I’ve heard in a while or an absolute dumb a$$ move by an otherwise smart lifetime basketball man. We needed one of those for this roster, not all 3. I don’t think any of them would start for any of the top teams. 

This. If he ever made such a promise, it was one of the worst recruiting decisions of his entire career. Hard to believe he would agree to that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NoALtiger said:

As I posted earlier, loyalty is admirable but not to the detriment of your team.  I don’t know the truth Bruce’s promises to certain players, but I know he dang well sees now that he should’ve managed things differently.  The proof is on the court and he sees the deficiencies.

• Like 3

With a cloud hanging over the program from 2017 to 2021, and now halfway into 4 years of probation, recruiting was hurt. Nothing more, nothing less. Granted it was self inflicted, but the coaching staff has done yeoman's work keeping the ship afloat and back to WINNING. I would argue they've probably done their best work, given the circumstances. The class of 2024 shows things are looking up. Hopefully, the portal of 2023 will move the needle a little quicker. There is reason for optimism. In the meantime, let's keep pulling for this team of veterans who continue to grind and fight until the end. Maybe they can reach a point where they play free and easy with nothing to lose. To make the tournament this year would be a great accomplishment. I believe they can. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

I have had this thought before. But idk if there is a guy on this team that can fill the role of Okeke from that run. I know he missed the tail end of the run but he was certainly a large part of the spark that started it. When the 💡 came on for him it changed the whole dynamic for that team. At least that’s how I remember it. Of course I can’t remember what I did yesterday half the time so tifwiw 

30 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

We need to have some more against invoking the final four team’s name unnecessarily. The absolute best case scenario for this team amongst any of the good ones is the 19-20 one: front loaded wins against traffic cones in OOC, and poor offense consistently dragged them down in conference play. And even that is insulting to the 19-20 team 

THIS team just can’t play both sides of basketball at the same time. I haven’t seen them do it for more than 10% of any game 

This was not to compare the teams talent wise, I even said that in my post. It is more so to the comment of "really questioning Bruce pearl", more so that we've had BP teams shoot poorly and go on skids in Jan/feb several times before. A couple of more shots fall vs Tenn and Alabama. We likely feel like we have momentum going into the back stretch of the season, but shots in crucial moments hurt us

3 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

This. If he ever made such a promise, it was one of the worst recruiting decisions of his entire career. Hard to believe he would agree to that.

Yeah, that’s hard for me to believe is true.  But IF it’s not true then why the hell didn’t Bruce address the issue and get help?

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, keesler said:

Yeah, that’s hard for me to believe is true.  But IF it’s not true then why the hell didn’t Bruce address the issue and get help?

Yeah thats a head scratcher I've been asking myself for over a year.

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

I don't really understand why anybody wouldn't have expected a down year from us this year. 

We are better than I expected us to be. I think Bruce has done a good coaching this team. I just had a problem with some of his roster decisions

100% and yes BP has. My only real sore spot was NOT going after Mark Sears. A veteran floor general there for the taking. Was it scholly limits, or was it pinning all their hopes on Donaldson, Westry, and Traore all being good reliable contributors immediately? The class of 2024 tells me this staff will turn the corner. The portal of 2023, hopefully more so.

1 hour ago, NoALtiger said:

I think we needed to stay at 12 regardless due to the NCAA sanctions, so that may have been a factor in the background. I assume it's why we haven't given Berman the last scholarship (at least as far as I know). 

• Like 1

Well, it's 1 or the other.  We could have had the guy ( Sears)according to many and we don't have him

Thanks.  When I read that, it pissed me off mightily.

I have had that tried on me twice, and it didn't end well for them.  If Bruce fell for that crap, then he has gotten what he deserved.

1 hour ago, Jgarrett7 said:

I have had this thought before. But idk if there is a guy on this team that can fill the role of Okeke from that run. I know he missed the tail end of the run but he was certainly a large part of the spark that started it. When the 💡 came on for him it changed the whole dynamic for that team. At least that’s how I remember it. Of course I can’t remember what I did yesterday half the time so tifwiw 

Lol there’s no one close on this team to fill Chuma’s role, much less the sharp shooter Bryce and the floor General with Jared. Certainly wish there was. :( 

• Like 1

Exactly what are the sanctions and what are the specific scholarship restrictions we’re currently under?  I’m totally obvious about this as I swear I thought we’d self imposed a ton years ago when the investigation started.

24 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

Lol there’s no one close on this team to fill Chuma’s role, much less the sharp shooter Bryce and the floor General with Jared. Certainly wish there was. :( 

I actually think if Wendell had the same team around him Jared did then it would be close but I’m definitely no expert. We don’t have a consistent shooter like Brown for sure but sometimes you can get that random guy that hits a hot streak. But to me, Chuma just brought something different that really put that team over the top. Again, no expert, just how I remember it. Earlier in the year I kept hoping maybe Traore would be that guy the light would come on for but he’s completely faded out of the rotation now. 

Someone might’ve said it already, but I don’t think he said he wouldn’t recruit any guards, he just said he wouldn’t recruit over their heads, meaning he wouldn’t displace them or basically put their scholarship in jeopardy. He’s outright said there were other guards he wanted when such names were relevant this season, like Erik Stevenson. 

I can understand being loyal enough to not straight up nudge a kid out the door. Which is something Pearl has done previously (Jamal Johnson’s exiting core had multiple departures that fit exactly the type of attrition I think people want for this one). 

Pearl just didn’t think he’d need to kick those guys out to get the guys he needed to improve the roster. 

• Like 1

It was widely posited that CBP would push Moore and Akingbola out to make space, and my theory was that they just never got pushed out because we never got the guys worth pushing them out for 

Pearl is the last coach that I think is unaware of how to play the game. He’s closer to a Nate Oats than I think many auburn fans would like to let on in that respect 

25 minutes ago, keesler said:

Exactly what are the sanctions and what are the specific scholarship restrictions we’re currently under?  I’m totally obvious about this as I swear I thought we’d self imposed a ton years ago when the investigation started.

I believe we have to forfeit two total scholarships over the next 4 years. Seems like they decided to make this one of the years, so we were full unless Pearl wanted to process Stretch.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

It was widely posited that CBP would push Moore and Akingbola out to make space, and my theory was that they just never got pushed out because we never got the guys worth pushing them out for 

Pearl is the last coach that I think is unaware of how to play the game. He’s closer to a Nate Oats than I think many auburn fans would like to let on in that respect 

I’m glad to hear that. 

Let's face the cold, and I do mean cold hard facts: when it comes to scoring points this season they couldn't hit water if they fell out of a boat in the middle of the ocean.

Alright, let's just get off CBP's case, okay? Losing two first round draft picks, rebuilding from the remainders (flailing Flanigan, midget Greene, etc).

What do you want him to do with this cast of characters? He's tried to give the best guys a chance and they've .... ya know ..... best description .... been inconsistent and often outclassed.

Is that the fault of CBP? I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt here. He has some great recruits on the list. If he can actually land them, he will have a solid group to begin working with.

Frankly, I'll be happy to see out two guards leave and Flanigan proceed to the exit door. I thank them loudly for their contributions to Auburn BB, but I'm convinced CBP will rebuild.

• Like 1