why don't we play Georgia tech anymore?

aubiefifty

when i was a rugrat it was a huge game and i remember the wreck tech parades with the players dressed in pajama's as well as the band. i remember turning my head and some dirty rascal playing the tuba snuck up to the curb and blasted his horn right in my ear. i bet i jumped ten feet and almost soiled myself lol. but it was so much fun and it seemed like everyone in auburn who was not working was at the parade. i do not remember any speeches or anything so i am not sure if they had those but i remember seeing some guys dressed up like women as well. it sure was a fun time at auburn and other than maybe having a great night singing on stage those memories of auburn was probably the best times of my life.

would this be doable again? i am not sure folks now do not realize how big of a deal it was back then. i wish i could have seen tech have to walk the two or three miles they had to walk back to town after the tracks were greased. but having that parade again would be epic.

• Like 1

• WarTiger changed the title to why don't we play Georgia tech anymore?

We don't play them any more because of who Tech is. For decades we played them in Atlanta every year. On their home field. One stretch we lost 15 in a row to them, but AU never wimped out. Then came the time when we got the game moved to home and home and they didn't like that. Then came the time when AU whipped Tech 10 years in a row and they dropped the series. Their excuse was they didn't have room for an OOC game after joining the ACC. But they filled the Auburn date with Furman. So, we don't play them any more because they are wimps and liars.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Mikey said:

We don't play them any more because of who Tech is. For decades we played them in Atlanta every year. On their home field. One stretch we lost 15 in a row to them, but AU never wimped out. Then came the time when we got the game moved to home and home and they didn't like that. Then came the time when AU whipped Tech 10 years in a row and they dropped the series. Their excuse was they didn't have room for an OOC game after joining the ACC. But they filled the Auburn date with Furman. So, we don't play them any more because they are wimps and liars.

Tell us how u really feel about the Wrambling Wreck

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1). They’re not in the SEC anymore 

2). They beat Auburn the last 2 times we played them.

3). I’d rather see Auburn play FSU or Va Tech but that’s my personal opinion 

10 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Tell us how u really feel about the Wrambling Wreck

No can do, this is a family message board.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, Win4AU said:

1). They’re not in the SEC anymore 

2). They beat Auburn the last 2 times we played them.

3). I’d rather see Auburn play FSU or Va Tech but that’s my personal opinion 

I remember those 2 games. It was so frustrating watching their QB run and escape pressure play after play. We would have 2 guys bringing him down for a sack and he would slip out and gain a 1st down. Just off the top of my head, I think his name was Reggie Ball. I'm not sure what happened to him after his Georgia Tech days but I know he gave us hell the 2 times we played them.

17 hours ago, bigbird said:

After 30 years the engineers still haven't settled on a plan to play us.

Probably the truth ... this is the way!

• Haha 1

We have everything to lose and nothing to gain by playing them.  If we win we were supposed to win.  If we lose we were supposed to win.  Let UGA deal with them.  

Edited by weagl1
  • Like 1

On 2/4/2023 at 3:25 PM, WarEagle1982 said:

Really the only out of conference annual games played are with teams who have in- state opponents.  UGA-Tech, Florida-FSU, S Carolina-Clemson, Kentucky-Louisville, etc.

While that's true it's not any sort of hard and fast rule. When Tech dropped the series after 1987, 84 games had been played between the two. That's more than just a casual matchup every now and then.

After five Auburn "home" games in Birmingham, haughty Tech finally came to Auburn for the 1970 game. AU whipped that 9-3 Tech team 31-7. It was a big deal, with Bob Hope in the audience.

There are pictures of Coach Jordan coaching at Grant Field wearing a crash helmet borrowed from an Alabama State Trooper because the Tech students were throwing whiskey bottles at the AU sideline. The path from one of the nearby parking lots to Grant Field led through a section of Tech dorms. If you were walking with your girl the Tech boys would expose themselves through open windows and yell the worst sort of obscenities. They are despicable.

Auburn currently leads the series 42-41-3. I'd like to whup 'em 20 or 30 more times.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Mikey said:

While that's true it's not any sort of hard and fast rule. When Tech dropped the series after 1987, 84 games had been played between the two. That's more than just a casual matchup every now and then.

After five Auburn "home" games in Birmingham, haughty Tech finally came to Auburn for the 1970 game. AU whipped that 9-3 Tech team 31-7. It was a big deal, with Bob Hope in the audience.

There are pictures of Coach Jordan coaching at Grant Field wearing a crash helmet borrowed from an Alabama State Trooper because the Tech students were throwing whiskey bottles at the AU sideline. The path from one of the nearby parking lots to Grant Field led through a section of Tech dorms. If you were walking with your girl the Tech boys would expose themselves through open windows and yell the worst sort of obscenities. They are despicable.

Auburn currently leads the series 42-41-3. I'd like to whup 'em 20 or 30 more times.

That 1970 game against Ga. Tech was my first AU game as a kid.  I remember Sullivan and Beasley lighting up GT and Eddie McShan, and then at the end of the game walking across the field and under the stadium to the gate outside the players locker room where we waited to greet the players and coaches.  I met Sullivan, Beasley, Shug and got my game program autographed by each of them and many others.  I knew that very day that I would end up attending college at Auburn.  I'd give anything to re-live those few hours!

Edited by gctiger
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, gctiger said:

That 1970 game against Ga. Tech was my first AU game as a kid.  I remember Sullivan and Beasley lighting them up, and then at the end of the game walking across the field and under the stadium to the gate outside the players locker room where we waited to greet the players and coaches.  I met Sullivan, Beasley, Shug and got my game program autographed by each of them and many others.  I knew that very day that I would end up attending college at Auburn.  I'd give anything to re-live those few hours!

It was a very fine day! If memory serves, Auburn's "other" WR Alvin Bressler made some big catches too.

• Like 1

On 2/4/2023 at 6:18 PM, TeamZero77 said:

I remember those 2 games. It was so frustrating watching their QB run and escape pressure play after play. We would have 2 guys bringing him down for a sack and he would slip out and gain a 1st down. Just off the top of my head, I think his name was Reggie Ball. I'm not sure what happened to him after his Georgia Tech days but I know he gave us hell the 2 times we played them.

It was Reggie Ball and if I remember right he wanted to come to AU

• Thanks 1

On 2/5/2023 at 9:01 PM, Mikey said:

I've seen those photos of Shug Jordan in the crash helmet but I never knew the story behind it. That's really cool that Bob Hope came to an Auburn game in Auburn. For decades Bob Hope was as big a celebrity as anyone. Thanks for the in depth stories!! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

I've seen those photos of Shug Jordan in the crash helmet but I never knew the story behind it. That's really cool that Bob Hope came to an Auburn game in Auburn. For decades Bob Hope was as big a celebrity as anyone. Thanks for the in depth stories!! 

Bob did a concert at Beard-Eaves Memorial Col. the same weekend he loved doing college campus on his tours

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Bob did a concert at Beard-Eaves Memorial Col. the same weekend he loved doing college campus on his tours

Were y’all friends growing up?

On 2/5/2023 at 12:14 PM, weagl1 said:

We have everything to lose and nothing to gain by playing them.  If we win we were supposed to win.  If we lose we were supposed to win.  Let UGA deal with them.  

I want a pajama parade.

• Like 2