Climate Activism Has a Cult Problem

AUFAN78

2 hours ago, wdefromtx said:

It has now gone beyond the pilot process. In addition to what the aviation industry is pursuing various motorsports entities such as NASCAR and F1. F1 has prompted manufacturers to invest in the technology. 

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.formula-1-on-course-to-deliver-100-sustainable-fuels-for-2026.1szcnS0ehW3I0HJeelwPam.html

Seems like quite a few businesses are (at least) promoting their research in this area. 

Apparently, those scheming scientists are really good at conning the private sector as well as the public! ;)

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, wdefromtx said:

It has now gone beyond the pilot process. In addition to what the aviation industry is pursuing various motorsports entities such as NASCAR and F1. F1 has prompted manufacturers to invest in the technology. 

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.formula-1-on-course-to-deliver-100-sustainable-fuels-for-2026.1szcnS0ehW3I0HJeelwPam.html

While I admire the intent, I am skeptical of the advantages of ethanol, at least currently.

Ethanol's has a fairly significant "carbon footprint" - not as bad a gasoline, but it's not carbon free.  Of course that has the potential to improve as the systems required to produce it become "cleaner". (Electric tractors!)

(One thing the F1 folks will certainly like about it is the octane value.  ;))

I wonder what their formula will be for 100% sustainable -  ethanol plus Hydrocarbons synthesized from CO2?

26 minutes ago, homersapien said:

While I admire the intent, I am skeptical of the advantages of ethanol, at least currently.

Ethanol's has a fairly significant "carbon footprint" - not as bad a gasoline, but it's not carbon free.  Of course that has the potential to improve as the systems required to produce it become "cleaner". (Electric tractors!)

(One thing the F1 folks will certainly like about it is the octane value.  ;))

I wonder what their formula will be for 100% sustainable -  ethanol plus Hydrocarbons synthesized from CO2?

Yes their intent is to produce the fuel from synthesized CO2. I linked an article about Porsche investing in a company that is a producer of the type. The main reason was to get ahead of the F1 requirements. 

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a39643783/porsche-carbon-neutral-e-fuel/

I see electric vehicles and say tractors as a stop-gap while this technology catches up. Once you have enough derivatives making different types of fuel you could then power the harvesting equipment with the fuel essentially reduce your footprint down to practically nothing. Which is the main problem with ethanol production at the moment. 

My opinion is that this technology will take hold and advance over the next 5-10 years. The major oil and gas producers have no choice to "get on the wagon." If they want to survive in the future they need to push this technology. I know first hand of future investment of companies like ExxonMobil into this company as well as their strict requirements of contractors and suppliers to provide services with as small of "carbon footprint" as possible. They have finally figured out that their future existence requires them to evolve. 

Personally I see this as a win-win. I already run e85 in my car......it is poor mans race fuel. LOL It would be great to be able to have more options for race fuel and get the EPA out of motorsports. 

I have actually invested some of my own money into companies that are working on some of this technology. To me, this has much more potential than wind and solar as a whole. Granted my investment is peanuts compared to Porsche. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, homersapien said:

Yeah, the last thing we need as a species is an official global forum to address a global problem. :-\

Oh yeah, what global problem, right?

And seriously, ...."didn't advocate to kill the fossil fuel industry"?  :laugh: You mean, like next month or next year?

Is China a part of that initiative?  How about Russia or India?  Can it be a global forum without global participation?

Good ole Biden asked the Saudi’s and Venezuela for more oil while bypassing the US companies.  America as a last resort is Biden’s mantra. 

How many Electric Vehicles do you have on that hobby farm of yours?  You’re a lot like Gore and Kerry when it comes to words and no substance.

17 hours ago, homersapien said:

You people are a hoot.  This country is doomed if we don't break out of this anti truth, anti-science kick so many Americans are on.  There is a reality that supersedes politics, whether one likes it or not.

This part is hilarious homer, even for you.  You believe men can become women, men can menstruate and get pregnant, that the COVID vaccine would stop the spread of COVID, that we are in a pandemic of the unvaccinated, CT, CRT, defund the police and any other theory that would *doom* the country and turn it over to the crazies and you think conservatives are a hoot?

:roflol: :roflol: :roflol: no wait  😝 

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

21 hours ago, wdefromtx said:

Yes their intent is to produce the fuel from synthesized CO2. I linked an article about Porsche investing in a company that is a producer of the type. The main reason was to get ahead of the F1 requirements. 

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a39643783/porsche-carbon-neutral-e-fuel/

I see electric vehicles and say tractors as a stop-gap while this technology catches up. Once you have enough derivatives making different types of fuel you could then power the harvesting equipment with the fuel essentially reduce your footprint down to practically nothing. Which is the main problem with ethanol production at the moment. 

My opinion is that this technology will take hold and advance over the next 5-10 years. The major oil and gas producers have no choice to "get on the wagon." If they want to survive in the future they need to push this technology. I know first hand of future investment of companies like ExxonMobil into this company as well as their strict requirements of contractors and suppliers to provide services with as small of "carbon footprint" as possible. They have finally figured out that their future existence requires them to evolve. 

Personally I see this as a win-win. I already run e85 in my car......it is poor mans race fuel. LOL It would be great to be able to have more options for race fuel and get the EPA out of motorsports. 

I have actually invested some of my own money into companies that are working on some of this technology. To me, this has much more potential than wind and solar as a whole. Granted my investment is peanuts compared to Porsche. 

Don't have a problem with any of the above, except I don't see electric vehicles - especially tractors (in my case) - as a "stopgap".  An electric tractor - especially one used intermittently - would benefit inherently from both the weight and torque of batteries and eliminate the necessity of purchasing and hauling diesel fuel back to the farm/home.

As for the general car fleet, synthetic, zero net emission hydrocarbons could very well be either the ultimate solution or a stop-gap system, depending on the difficulties of converting the infrastructure and/or reducing the charging time for fully electric vehicles.  Or maybe combine both for a new generation hybrid?

Regardless, the bottom line message is we do have technologies to explore and don't have to resort to "eating bugs" :-\

Anyway, kudo's to you for taking a personal and investment interest in forward looking technologies.  :bow: (Just take care not to invest more than you can afford to lose.;))

Edited by homersapien

5 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

Is China a part of that initiative?  How about Russia or India?  Can it be a global forum without global participation?

Good ole Biden asked the Saudi’s and Venezuela for more oil while bypassing the US companies.  America as a last resort is Biden’s mantra. 

How many Electric Vehicles do you have on that hobby farm of yours?  You’re a lot like Gore and Kerry when it comes to words and no substance.

This part is hilarious homer, even for you.  You believe men can become women, men can menstruate and get pregnant, that the COVID vaccine would stop the spread of COVID, that we are in a pandemic of the unvaccinated, CT, CRT, defund the police and any other theory that would *doom* the country and turn it over to the crazies and you think conservatives are a hoot?

Thanks for another entertaining, mindless self-own.   

(You can wipe the spittle off your chin now.) ;D

Edited by homersapien

24 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Thanks for another entertaining, mindless self-own.   

(You can wipe the spittle off your chin now.) ;D

What a dodge, you hobby farmer.

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

I typically "dodge" ranting crazy people.  

Just speaking truth to perceived power.

• Facepalm 1

On 2/2/2023 at 8:38 AM, I_M4_AU said:

Please stop lying about what I "believe".

40 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

Even the fossil fuel industry and their lobbying arms have given up the ridiculousness that some of you continue to believe.

How so?  They’re still making profits.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

21 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

Even the fossil fuel industry and their lobbying arms have given up the ridiculousness that some of you continue to believe.

One can deny science all they want, but science will have the last word.  Even the fossil fuel executives understand that.

Just like the Tobacco industry came to.

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 1