help me learn about portal recruiting

Anyone know how soon after someone enters the portal our recruiting coaches learn they are available? 

Do they know before hand? 

Do they learn about it between other obligations.  Are specific players corralled toward specific coaches at first?  

I mean... they have to have a crew constantly scanning the portal. right?    Could they use simpleton volunteers to help keep watch?  Does it matter if it takes them a day to get around to it  VS  contacting within an hour or two?   

Who vets the players?

basically, what are the inner workings/timeline of portal searches and recruiting?

There is a database they enter their name into.  Pretty sure as soon as the school puts them in, they can be contacted.  I assume someone is scrolling that.

"tampering" is pretty much common practice now, even though it's still illegal.  You could say "Talk to a HS coach and he then talked to an ex-player, ex-player tells HS coach he's entering, HS coach tells college coach" then all of a sudden massive life decisions are made in 2 days.

• Like 4

It’s a simple text message and then progresses to discuss NIL.  Then portal then official visiting to finalize deal.

these players need some type of security in place before entering the portal or they risk not getting picked up if they go at blindly.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AUY2K said:

It’s a simple text message and then progresses to discuss NIL. Then portal then official visiting to finalize deal.

Talking/texting to a player before he enters the portal is tampering, which is a big no-no. School officials are prohibited from discussing NIL with players. Obviously there are ways that the player gets general NIL information but it isn't supposed to come from university coaches or staff.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Talking/texting to a player before he enters the portal is tampering, which is a big no-no. School officials are prohibited from discussing NIL with players. Obviously there are ways that the player gets general NIL information but it isn't supposed to come from university coaches or staff.

Got it,   but I see rumors of "so and so " is expected to the enter the portal and most of them do.    I assume the coaches are made aware of this. 

If you know, 

Who is searching the portal for us?  I can't imagine Freeze (or any of our coaches) having the time to sit around hitting refresh all day.   Do all the coaches keep an eye out for their own players, or  is there a group that vets (talent and or other issues) the players before sending the info to the coaches?    Is this portal searcher an actual position(s)? 

How do the coaches find out about the players once they enter the portal?

Edited by Quietmaninthecorner

5 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

Unless they've had prior (illicit) discussions, they see the name on the NCAA's list. Who keeps up with the list is anybody's guess. If I had to take a flyer on it, I'd say some grad student. I also suppose that little birdies are constantly judging interest and secretly whispering into people's ears. There is a lot of room for mischief in this setup.

Edited by Mikey
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Unless they've had prior (illicit) discussions, they see the name on the NCAA's list. Who keeps up with the list is anybody's guess. If I had to take a flyer on it, I'd say some grad student. I also suppose that little birdies are constantly judging interest and secretly whispering into people's ,ears. There is a lot of room for mischief in this setup.

It sounds a bit like a Chinese fire drill.    We need a dedicated portal watcher(s) if we do not already have them.  At least while the portal is open.  NIL is so new, and with Freeze only being here a few weeks,  I wonder how streamlined the process is between when a player enters the portal  and the coach hearing about it. 

Edited by Quietmaninthecorner

8 hours ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

Who is searching the portal for us?  I can't imagine Freeze (or any of our coaches) having the time to sit around hitting refresh all day.   Do all the coaches keep an eye out for their own players, or  is there a group that vets (talent and or other issues) the players before sending the info to the coaches?    Is this portal searcher an actual position(s)? 

They have an entire department off off-field staff that handles recruiting. Part of that would be managing the transfer portal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TXaubie said:

Some coaches are publicly complaining about tampering. Which leads me to believe it must be really bad!!  

https://247sports.com/Article/UTSA-coach-Jeff-Traylor-questions-NCAAs-lack-of-action-against-tampering-200931243/

Recruits and active players have agents, and those agents canvas interest from a multitude of programs to get their "client" the best NIL offer they can find.

Years ago, Saban called those street agents pimps.  It's amazing that they are now legal and actively play a huge part in college athletics.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

Most of the upper tiered players know where they are going before they enter.

IMO, they'd be stupid to not already have a predetermined landing spot in place rather than risk the portal totally clueless about who wants your services OR how much NIL you are going to get. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JerryAU said:

Recruits and active players have agents, and those agents canvas interest from a multitude of programs to get their "client" the best NIL offer they can find.

Years ago, Saban called those street agents pimps.  It's amazing that they are now legal and actively play a huge part in college athletics.  

Funny considering, he has the best pimp in the business representing him

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TXaubie said:

Some coaches are publicly complaining about tampering. Which leads me to believe it must be really bad!!  

https://247sports.com/Article/UTSA-coach-Jeff-Traylor-questions-NCAAs-lack-of-action-against-tampering-200931243/

I don't think a single "important" player enters the portal without prior tampering. They pretty much know where they are going, or at least have it narrowed to a few schools before they enter the portal. What to do about tampering is another question. The rule is not enforceable.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

Anyone know how soon after someone enters the portal our recruiting coaches learn they are available? 

Do they know before hand? 

Do they learn about it between other obligations.  Are specific players corralled toward specific coaches at first?  

@Quietmaninthecorner For high demand transfers the teams the transfers are interested in most typically know before they enter the portal because the player reaches out through back channels or vice versa. Other transfers or under the radar transfer may enter the portal before staffs know. I would guess that when a target is identified after being in the portal he would communicate most with his position coach, & maybe a strong recruiter on staff if the position coach is not a strong recruiter.

mean... they have to have a crew constantly scanning the portal. right? 

Yup. There's a part of the recruiting department mostly focused on all things transfers & transfer portal.

Could they use simpleton volunteers to help keep watch? 

Could but no need when you are paying people already to do it.

Does it matter if it takes them a day to get around to it  VS  contacting within an hour or two?   

There is no day to getting around to it. I'm sure we have some people watching it hourly.

Who vets the players?

Same people and department.

15 hours ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

Is this portal searcher an actual position(s)?

Probably internally and it being more than 1 person.

15 hours ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

They either already know via back channels our our recruiting department tells them.

• Thanks 1

In spring 2021, before NIL rules existed, when the portal was still new, and when penalty free transfers just waiting for the official ink to be dry, UGA was actively recruiting Tank Bigsby in anticipation of the penalty-free transfer rule being adopted. I asked a UGA beat writer about this, and he said Georgia never stopped recruiting Tank after he signed with Auburn. When I asked how they could get away with this, he said they did it through "back channels" that were well developed to leave no evidence trail.

With all of the shenanigans in college football developed over decades, it is easy to "tamper" with the transfer portal and NIL.

My guess is most schools have some automated software to alert them when certain players enter the portal. I don't think there is some graduate assistant hitting "reload" on their browser every five seconds.

Also, if reporters at the pay sites have insights ahead of time that a player is entering the portal, so do all of the big-time coaching staffs.

They probably have already scouted dozens of players. I believe one of Drew Fabianich's responsibilities was to scout talent at other universities that had the potential of transferring.