1/7/23 Auburn Articles

aubiefifty

What makes Auburn signee Kayin Lee so special?

Zac Blackerby

~2 minutes

Home

Auburn Daily

Football

How Auburn could use Kayin Lee

How Auburn could use Kayin Lee.

0 seconds of 1 minute, 22 secondsVolume 0%

Kayin Lee's ability, speed, and experience should allow him to play early.

Kayin Lee's versatility coupled with his natural ability as a defender could make him a special player at Auburn. 

He made some plays this week at the All American Bowl practices that caught the attention of scouts in attendance. 

Sports Illustrated's director of football recruiting John Garcia talked about Lee and what he brings as a player. 

"I love what he does at the catch point," Garcia said on Locked On Auburn. "He can get lost in the route there but when he arrives and when the ball arrives, the timing, the ball skills, the physicality, it's all there at that moment. He had a couple of pass breakups that I saw. But really the speed is what you take away from it. The ability to hit the gas when you need him to. So I think coupled with his size and experience in the secondary, I'm starting to think more nickel the more I see Kayin Lee. And that's so important in this day and age. Think of the offenses Auburn is going to face week in, week out."

Lee flipped to Auburn from Ohio State on Early Signing Day. 

• Like 1

OT transfer Gunner Britton: 'It’s everything I’ve dreamed of having since I was a little kid'

Christian Clemente
3–4 minutes

Former Western Kentucky offensive tackle Gunner Britton had visited Mississippi State and he had other visits lined up before the transfer window closed, but once he got to Auburn that was all he needed to see.

Britton announced his commitment to Auburn on Thursday night as he wrapped up his official visit to Auburn, departing on Friday morning.

"For me it just felt like the best place to come play my last year," Britton said. "I’ve got one year, I’ve got one opportunity to make it. It’s a little bit different compared to high school I wasn’t really a heavily recruited guy so having a bunch of schools reach out and having about a week and a half, two week decision. Even coming on my visits I had a couple visits lined up but I found the place I wanted to play at and that was enough for me."

It'll be a quick turnaround for Britton, as he heads back to Western Kentucky on Saturday to pack up and drive to Auburn on Sunday. Classes will start on Jan. 11 for Britton at Auburn.

"Yeah I can’t wait," Britton said. "It’s everything I’ve dreamed of having since I was a little kid. You always want to play in the SEC and in an environment like that here and a fanbase that’s a little different than I’m used to. It’s really exciting for me and my family to make one part of my dream come true. Obviously the goal is to go to the NFL but being able to play in the SEC is something I’ve always wanted to do even being a little kid so it’s going to be a nice experience."

The former Western Kentucky offensive tackle is a graduate transfer with one year of eligibility remaining. He was a second team Conference USA selection in 2022 and has played in every game but two for the Hilltoppers since 2019.

Those reps came entirely at left tackle and some right tackle during the 2022 season.

"Right now I’ll most likely be playing left tackle but I can also play right tackle like I did this year so really and truly anywhere on the line that gets me on the field," Britton said.

9COMMENTS

Britton will actually spend his final season getting coached by some familiar faces.

"Coach Bernardi, his brother-in-law was our tight ends coach at Western," Britton said. "Coach Helton and Coach Freeze have known each other a long time and I’ve known Coach Thornton a good while. So just knowing all those guys and understanding how they coach was really nice getting in here and seeing them all together and seeing what they’re trying to build here at Auburn."

">247Sports
  • Like 1

• Thanks 1

• Like 1

Former Auburn linebacker to be inducted into Cotton Bowl Hall of Fame

Taylor Jones
2–3 minutes

8cd8aece4dc27824976412bf1d85b8e4

One of the best defenders in Auburn’s history is being recognized by one of College Football’s most prestigious bowl games.

Will Herring, who played safety and linebacker for Auburn from 2003-06, is one of seven athletes who will be inducted into the Cotton Bowl Hall of Fame, representatives of the Cotton Bowl Classic announced.

Herring will be enshrined into the reputable game’s hall of fame due to his performance in Auburn’s 2007 Cotton Bowl win over Nebraska. Herring earned the McKnight Trophy, which is given to the game’s top defensive performer after making seven stops in Auburn’s 17-14 win.

In a press release, the Cotton Bowl revealed why Herring was worth the induction.

Will Herring had the blue and orange of Auburn University in his DNA. Born and raised less than 10 miles from the Auburn campus, he was a Tiger through and through. Herring was tough, smart, and possessed that all-important team-first mentality. He led Auburn in tackles as a junior at safety and again as a senior at linebacker. The 71st Cotton Bowl Classic was Herring’s 49th consecutive and final start for the Tigers, and his seven solo tackles were instrumental in helping Auburn take home a 17-14 victory over Nebraska. But it didn’t come easy. An Auburn turnover near midfield with just 5:24 to play could have proved costly, but it presented Herring and his defensive teammates one last opportunity to shine. They met the challenge and dashed Nebraska’s comeback hopes at the Auburn 30 to preserve a hard-fought victory for the Tigers.

Herring will be inducted into the Cotton Bowl Classic Hall of Fame as a member of the hall’s 13th class on May 11 at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas. Herring will be enshrined with seven others, including former Ole Miss quarterback Eli Manning and former Missouri head coach Gary Pinkel.

• Like 2

Auburn could be a ‘perfect fit’ for LSU transfer DeMario Tolan

Taylor Jones
~2 minutes

18a848bc3e2ac5526cc0592abb15b876

Auburn placed former four-star linebacker DeMario Tolan high on their priority list during his recruitment. However, Tolan elected to sign with SEC-rival LSU out of Dr. Phillips High School in Orlando, Florida.

After spending a season on the Bayou, fate may have brought him back to the Plains.

Tolan was on campus Thursday to visit the campus that he got to know so well, and was able to meet new Auburn coaches including linebackers coach Josh Aldridge and defensive coordinator Ron Roberts. In an interview with Auburn Undercover (subscription required), Tolan says that he feels Auburn will be a great place for him to get a fresh start.

“The highlight of my visit today was just the new staff and how well I feel like they’re going to be for me,” Tolan said. “Just overall I feel like it’d be a great place for me moving forward. I think that they’re at a great place — just a great coach. I feel like they’re going to be a perfect fit for me and just happy to have it be my first visit.”

Tolan appeared in nine games for LSU in 2022, recording nine total tackles. His best game took place against Ole Miss on Oct. 22, when he made four stops. Before signing with LSU, Tolan was the No. 20 linebacker from the 2022 recruiting cycle according to 247Sports and was the No. 24 overall prospect from the state of Florida.

Tolan will also take visits to Missouri and Colorado before making his decision.

List

Offense by the numbers: Top Tigers by snap count

63df41b7b9462207ba8c5b68a497ab1c

Story originally appeared on Auburn W

• Like 1

Oklahoma State wide receiver transfer Bryson Green to visit Auburn

JD McCarthy
~2 minutes

775fe2a86cde221392701f511b6efed4

Auburn is continuing to work the transfer portal and is getting a big visitor on Friday. Oklahoma State transfer wide receiver Bryson Green will be visiting the Tigers on Friday, according to a report by Jeffrey Lee of Auburn Live.

Green was one of the Cowboy’s top receivers last season, catching 36 passes for 584 yards and five touchdowns. The 6-foot-1, 205-pound wide receiver has two seasons of eligibility remaining.

A former three-star recruit he has emerged as a top target in the portal since he entered on Jan. 5 and is also being heavily pursued by Ole Miss. and is expected to visit them this weekend.

The Tigers are looking to help a wide receiver room that has to produce more in 2023. Auburn’s top receiver last season was Ja'Varrius Johnson, who caught just 26 passes for 493 yards and three touchdowns. They also hosted Georgia State transfer Jamari Thrash on Thursday.

List

• Thanks 1