2024 4* G Labaron Philon (Kansas)

Barnacle

On 2/4/2023 at 11:56 AM, AUBwins said:

Philon can literally put the ball in the hoop at any time lol

Philon must really be great because the UA chat boards are melting down after he signed with us. Well done Bruce.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 2/20/2023 at 3:17 PM, TuscaloosaTiger said:

Philon must really be great because the UA chat boards are melting down after he signed with us. Well done Bruce.

He doesn't sign til November.

• 3 weeks later...

Auburn hoops commit Labaron Philon named MaxPreps Player of the Year for Alabama

Keith Niebuhr•about 17 hours

Labaron Philon / Auburn MBB Athletics

Labaron Philon, a top Auburn basketball commit, can add one more thing to his already impressive resume.

MaxPreps has chosen the Mobile (Ala.) Baker 4-star point guard as its Player of the Year for the state of Alabama after the 6-foot-4 recruit led the team to a 25-7 record and trip to the Class 7A state quarterfinals.

Per MaxPreps, Philon “averaged 35.0 points, 6.2 rebounds, 3.9 assists and 2.6 steals per game while shooting 52 percent from the field, 34 percent from 3-point range and 82 percent from the free throw line. He scored a career-high 51 points in November. After scoring 1,051 points this season, Philon is up to 2,310 career points and on pace to become a top-10 scorer in state history.”

Every state’s MaxPreps Player of the Year will be considered for the MaxPreps All-America Team. That will be released in April.

Philon is the No. 6 point guard and No. 38 overall recruit nationally according to the On3 Industry Ranking, a weighted average that utilizes all four major recruiting media companies.

Philon gave his verbal to Bruce Pearl’s program last month

He committed to Auburn on Feb. 3.

“Auburn just feels like another home to me,” Philon told Auburn Live. “They took me in when I got on campus and made me feel at home. They recruited me hard,” he said. “Coach Bruce Pearl and Coach (Wes) Flanigan did a great job of recruiting me.”

Per Auburn Live’s Jeffrey Lee, although Philon is ranked as a point guard, he likely will be a combo guard at Auburn. The Tigers also hold a commitment from Tahaad Pettiford, the No. 4 point guard in the class.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

ell i am not sure if this should be in recruiting or not. my apologies if you have to move it.

al.com

Auburn commit Labaron Philon named ASWA Mr. Basketball

Updated: Apr. 06, 2023, 2:47 p.m.|Published: Apr. 06, 2023, 1:13 p.m.
6–8 minutes

Baker junior point guard and Auburn commit Labaron Philon is must-see TV.

“When he is on the floor, your eyes never leave him,” Huntsville High coach Christian Schweers said. “You can’t help but watch him and see what happens next.”

“What’s next” for Philon is winning Mr. Basketball.

The 6-foot-4 standout was crowned Thursday with that award at the Alabama Sports Writers Association’s annual Player of the Year banquet sponsored by ALFA Insurance and the Alabama High School Coaches and Athletic Directors Association. Philon also was named Class 7A Player of the Year for the second straight season.

RELATED: Hoover’s Reniya Kelly wins Miss Basketball

“It’s a great achievement for me and for the kids at home at the park I used to play at,” Philon said. “We have some good kids out there. I’m hoping this will help inspire them and, hopefully, they will be here to get some of these awards in the future.”

Philon is the sixth underclassmen to win Mr. Basketball.

“I will say this – it’s nice to know that no matter where we are or who we play, I have the best player on the floor,” Baker coach David Armstrong said during Philon’s milestone junior season.

Philon, who committed to Auburn in February, already has been named both the MaxPreps and Gatorade Alabama player of the year. He averaged 35 points, six rebounds and four assists for the Hornets this season, finishing with 1,075 points on the year. He now stands at 2,334 points for his high school career.

“It’s huge for our school to have Labaron recognized at this level,” Armstrong said. “It’s something we are going to cherish and enjoy for a long time.”

Philon is the second consecutive Mr. Basketball winner from Mobile. McGill-Toolen’s Barry Dunning Jr., now at Arkansas, won the award last year.

“The amount of defensive attention he attracted throughout the course of 32 games and still put up historical numbers – it was amazing,” Schweers said. “Having played them earlier, I thought he was really good. Then he got out there in front of more than 2,000 people and his shot making ability went to another level. He’s the best player in Alabama right now.”

Philon scored 37 points in a 78-73 win over Schweers’ Huntsville team in the Huntsville City Classic in December.

“I think we are a pretty good defensive team night in and night out, and there was really nothing we could do about it,” Schweers said.

Enterprise coach Rhett Harrelson also was impressed after Philon poured in 32 points to go along with seven rebounds, four steals and two assists in Baker’s 53-41 win over his Wildcats in the Class 7A South Regional semifinals.

“He’s the best player I’ve coached against,” Harrelson said then. “I know I haven’t been doing it that long. He is very, very talented. He has the ability to get the ball on the opposite baseline and get to the other basket in a blink of an eye. It’s unbelievable how quick he gets from one end of the floor to the other. He’s just tough to gameplan against.”

Philon is Baker’s first Mr. Basketball and the 41st overall. Terry Coner of Philips was the first winner in 1983. If he repeats as a senior, Philon would join Calhoun’s JD Davison, Mountain Brook’s Trendon Watford, Mae Jemison’s John Petty, Butler’s Trevor Lacey and John Carroll’s Ronald Steele as two-time winners of the award.

It won’t be easy to repeat, however. Philon edged Class 6A Player of the Year Caleb Holt of Buckhorn for the award this year. Holt is just a freshman.

“I think we saw Labaron get a lot better this year,” Armstrong said. “He understood how to take a game and make it his own and dictate the pace and play of the game. He shot the ball well. He finished at the rim well. He finished above the rim well, and he passed the ball well. A lot of people don’t think he does because he scores so much, but he does. He led this team, and he did a great job.”

The other boys players of the year announced Thursday in Montgomery were Charles Henderson’s Austin Cross (5A), Jacksonville’s John Broom (4A), Piedmont’s Alex Odam (3A), Sand Rock’s Jacob StClair (2A), Autaugaville’s Jaden Nixon (1A) and Macon-East Montgomery’s Jacob Wilson (AISA).

Philon was the only repeat boys player of the year winner and the only repeat member of the ASWA Super All-State team.

BOYS SUPER ALL-STATE

(Top 5 players regardless of classification)

Labaron Philon, Baker

Caleb Holt, Buckhorn

John Broom, Jacksonville

Chase McCarty, Westminster Christian

Win Miller, Vestavia Hills

PLAYERS OF THE YEAR

7A: Labaron Philon, Baker

6A: Caleb Holt, Buckhorn

5A: Austin Cross, Charles Henderson

4A: John Broom, Jacksonville

3A: Alex Odam, Piedmont

2A: Jacob StClair, Sand Rock

1A: Jaden Nixon, Autaugaville

AISA: Jacob Wilson, Macon-East

MR. BASKETBALL WINNERS

1983 – Terry Coner, Phillips-Birmingham

1984 – Jeff Moore, Midfield

1985 - Vincent Robinson, Bridgeport

1986 - Larry Rembert, Keith

1987 - Bryant Lancaster, Valley

1988 - Terrance Lewis, Ramsay

1989 - Queintonia Higgins, Fairhope

1990 - Cedric Moore, Woodlawn

1991 - Victor Newman, Houston Academy

1992 - Darryl Wilson, South Lamar

1993 - Howard Pride, Butler

1994 - Rod Willie, Lee-Huntsville

1995 - Brian Williams, Jeff Davis

1996 - Isaac Spencer, Jeff Davis

1997 - Anthony Williams, Loachapoka

1998 - Sam Haginas, UMS-Wright

1999 - Marvin Stone, Grissom

2000 - Gerald Wallace, Childersburg

2001 - Chris White, Grissom

2002 - Kennedy Winston, Blount

2003 - Ronald Steele, John Carroll

2004 - Ronald Steele, John Carroll

2005 - Richard Hendrix, Athens

2006 - Stanley Robinson, Huffman

2007 - Courtney Fortson, Jeff Davis

2008 - JaMychal Green, St. Jude

2009 - Kerron Johnson, Madison Academy

2010 - Trevor Lacey, Butler

2011 - Trevor Lacey, Butler

2012 - Craig Sword, Carver-Montgomery

2013 - De’Runnya Wilson, Wenonah

2014 - William Lee, Dallas County

2015 – Dazon Ingram, Theodore

2016 - John Petty, J.O. Johnson

2017 - John Petty, Mae Jemison

2018 - Trendon Watford, Mountain Brook

2019 - Trendon Watford, Mountain Brook

2020 – J.D. Davison, Calhoun

2021 – J.D. Davison, Calhoun

2022 – Barry Dunning Jr., McGill-Toolen

2023 – Labaron Philon, Baker

If you purchase a product or register for an account through one of the links on our site, we may receive compensation.

16 minutes ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

Any chance he reclassifies classes? 

@TAYLORKEETON Doubt it since we just took Denver Jones at his position & looking to add at least 1 more guard/wing in the portal.

• Thanks 1

On 4/6/2023 at 4:06 PM, aubiefifty said:

“It’s a great achievement for me and for the kids at home at the park I used to play at,” Philon said. “We have some good kids out there. I’m hoping this will help inspire them and, hopefully, they will be here to get some of these awards in the future.”

LOVE to see the kid talkin' up his peeps. Whether they're legit or not, the fact that he is might get a few of them full rides that wouldn't have otherwise gotten them. 

And hell, if he tells the coaches straight up that they can ball, Bruce might want to be setting kids up at smaller schools to develop before transferring to the Plains for the big leagues. Wonder how much that kind of game is going to be played now?

• 2 weeks later...

How do we watch the team Thad games?  My boy 25' CG Jasper Johnson is also on that team. 

I will keep this in the Jasper thread I started on Rivals, but #11 in this short video is Philon.

3 hours ago, AUBwins said:

How do we watch the team Thad games?

I don't think we do for the most part. I think you have to be at AAU games to see them.

• Thanks 1

Why is Auburn recruiting so bipolar? Every sport lol

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dunndone414 said:

Wes Flanigan. 

Yea I figured that was probably it.

2024 CG Labaron Philon decommits from Auburn

4 minutes ago

Auburn has lost another piece of its highly-ranked 2024 class after Baker (Ala.) guard Labaron Philon announced on Friday morning he is backing off of his Auburn commitment. Former Auburn assistant Wes Flanigan was his primary recruiter throughout the process and a big reason he chose to commit to Auburn.

"First off, I would like to thank Bruce Pearl, his staff and fans for recruiting me along this journey!" Philon wrote. "After the news of changes in the program and staff, me and my family have to think about my future. With that being said, I would like to re-open my recruitment. Truly and extremely blessed to be recruited by the Auburn family! Can't thank you guys enough!"

1COMMENTS

Once holding the No. 3 ranked class in the country for the 2024 cycle, Auburn is down to just one commitment now in Composite 5-star point guard Tahaad Pettiford after Philon and Peyton Marshall backed off their commitments.

As a sophomore at Baker, the 6-foot-4 combo guard was the MaxPreps, Gatorade and Alabama Mr. Basketball of the Year in 2022. Philon averaged 34.7 points, six rebounds and four assists for Baker this season, finishing with 1,075 points on the year and leading the Hornets to a 24-7 record. In his high school career, he's already totaled 2,334 points.

• Sad 1

• ellitor changed the title to 2024 4* G Labaron Philon decommits from AU (4/21/23)

I really can't tell what direction our basketball program is going right now. Didn't realize Wes or really any basketball assistant was so important to recruits. Need some good news...been a steady flow of bad news last couple of weeks. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2