NIL and Portal - Is it Overblown?

woodford

8 hours ago, AUINSY said:

I thought this was rather interesting. I don't know where these numbers are coming from, but if it's true,

Those numbers are not actual,payments. They are an assigned "player value", which is much like the star system. A five* player is obviously assigned a higher player value than is a 3*. Thus, Texas A&M, who paid more out, has a lower player value than Alabama, Georgia, etc, who have higher rated players overall.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

Those numbers are not actual,payments. They are an assigned "player value", which is much like the star system. A five* player is obviously assigned a higher player value than is a 3*. Thus, Texas A&M, who paid more out, has a lower player value than Alabama, Georgia, etc, who have higher rated players overall.

Thanks for sharing @Mikey good to know 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, AUY2K said:

How much time goes by before there is a D1 Players Association?

This would be the worst thing imaginable. "Oh yeah, you get an NIL deal, but you have to join the union and pay dues every month and if you don't, you're not allowed to play" lol

On 12/22/2022 at 10:38 PM, jAUSon said:

It's not even NIL, lol. They're just *getting paid*. If it was truely NIL- the players should have a agents or trademarks or copyrights or whatever and should be royaltied the money being earned from their NIL. So the bowl money and ESPN money (the monsterous sums that were literally and specifically cited as the basis for the scotus to strike the autonomy of the NCAA) should be routed through the universities or the leagues to the players. But instead, NCAA, media outlets, and schools still keep the money while Baumhaurs and OTV donor collectives are paying the players lol. The sh*t is hilarious. I have no thoughts on paying players one way or the other- they deserve it, but the scotus just pulled some sh*t out it's @$$ on it's ruling.

NIL tied to TV would be a good idea. It's still so early it's hard to tell what will happen long term like someone mentioned above. Game changer will be when collectives start offering multi-year deals to incentivize players to stay. This is just another arm of booster money. When boosters don't like something, they stop paying.

Giving full autonomy to the players is probably not the greatest idea. No one should be fully in control. It, like everything else in the world, should be based around cooperation, reciprocity, and incentives. The model before NIL and portal worked pretty well because ya know, the sport has existed for 150 years. If it was such a bad deal for players, then they would've stopped playing and found another avenue to the NFL.

Corporate CFB gives the head coaches so much money and leverage and NIL/portal does the same for players. I hope a nice balance can be found because in the end the program and us fans (the ones who pay for all this) suffer the most with turbulent seasons due to coaching changes, no incentives to win, players dipping for other opportunities, etc. I really think the traditional and modern methods can co-exist. We just can't let reactionaries destroy the sport.

On 12/22/2022 at 7:22 PM, Hank2020 said:

Looks like to me , the same teams are at the top!! Where do you see leveling?

The rich get richer.

• Like 1

Good thread. Hope more coaches that are against NIL get called out on their bull**** 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Good thread. Hope more coaches that are against NIL get called out on their bull**** 

Oh, I’m betting every coach wishes it was like it was a few years back (even the ones that claim to support it), made their job much easier. It is just never going back and everyone knows it. Better learn how to function.

• Like 1

This isn't Auburn related but it's a great story about how a college athlete used his NIL to relieve his sister of her student debt. A completely unselfish and remarkable act for this young man. 

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/college-basketball-player-uses-nil-money-shock-sister-thoughtful-christmas-

Indiana basketball player Anthony Leal is one of many student-athletes that can now secure NIL (name, image, likeness) deals to make money while in school. This holiday season, he decided to give a very thoughtful gift to his sister, Lauren, 

using funds made from them.

Lauren Leal sat on the couch as she opened a card from her brother and read what was inside. "Hey sis, I wanted to let you know how much I look up to you and admire who you are. Your soul is beautiful and you are the best role model ever. There is no doubt that I have made it to where I am today because of you. Someone like you deserves no burdens or restrictions in life and I feel like the best way to help you with that is by paying off your student loan debt."

Lauren Leal couldn’t even finish the last sentence there because of shock, looking at her brother and saying, "I don’t even know how much that is."

Anthony Leal responded, "I do…it’s zero.

Lauren Leal responded to her brother’s tweet confirming her shock after reading the card. 

placeholder

"Never in my life have I felt this level of shock," she said. "I was so stunned and absolutely speechless before my tears flowed. Saying "thank you" will genuinely never be enough! Merry Christmas."

Effective July 1, 2021, the NIL policy was approved by the NCAA. From there, the "should college athletes be paid?" argument got a definitive answer, as student-athletes in every sport began signing lucrative deals. 

Leal, a Bloomington, Indiana native, remained in his home state to further his basketball career. The 6-foot-5, 210-pound guard is currently in his third year with the Hoosiers.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

The irony for me will be if/when the NCAA basically eats itself because of all this. That, for all the chaotic reasons you've all mentioned, it becomes too much to manage or some legal action blows it up, at which a true minor league football league is established and collegiate football becomes amateur again because it can't keep up.

And I can't say I'd be sad about it.

Sorry for the run-on sentence.