12/19/22 Auburn Articles

aubiefifty

#PMARSHONAU: For Cadillac, life is good and future is bright

Phillip Marshall
4–6 minutes

AUBURN, Alabama – The recruits who visited over the weekend had all gone home Sunday, but Carnell Williams was still in the lobby at the Auburn Hotel & Conference Center. He exchanged hugs. He posed for pictures with adults and children. He was the center of attention.

The man they call Cadillac has been a big deal around Auburn for more than 20 years, since he arrived as a decorated freshman running back in the summer of 2001. Williams, an All-American second only to Bo Jackson in career rushing yards at Auburn, became an NFL standout for the Tampa Bay Bucs and arrived back at Auburn as running backs coach in 2019.

11466284.png?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320

But it’s different now, and it’s been different since he was named interim head coach after Bryan Harsin was fired on Oct. 31.

Williams reinvigorated Auburn football. He won two of the four games in his interim tenure, but the vibe changed. Players fought harder, played with more passion and pulled closer together.

“Believe it or not, I think I am more recognizable now than I ever was as a player,” Williams said. “Even going back to Florida to recruit, in just the few days I was there, heads were turning. People were just excited about what transpired.”

When Hugh Freeze was introduced as Auburn’s head coach, Williams was named associate head coach, in addition to his duties as running backs coach. Before he agreed to stay, Williams wanted to talk indepth with Freeze. He did that, and he was sold. Having worked with him now for three weeks, his feelings have grown stronger.

“He’s about relationships,” Williams said. “He’s about treating people right. He is a blue-collar guy that works his tail off. He’s about service. He’s about discipline. He’s about family. He’s about standing on what he says. He’s about pouring into kids’ lives. He’s about empowering people.”

Williams was in the mix when Auburn athletics director John Cohen conducted his search. He did not deny wanting the job, but he says Cohen hired the right man.

“I’m just telling you I think it’s a heck of a hire,” Williams said. “I’m excited to get the opportunity to work under him and learn from a guy who has been so successful. I just love the way he treats people.”

What’s next for Williams? Before he got that Halloween call from then-interim athletics director Rich McGlynn, he had given no thought to being a head coach. He loved what he was doing. He loved Auburn. His wife and sons loved Auburn. What more did he need?

Williams, the first African-American coach to lead Auburn’s football team, was embraced by Auburn players. He was embraced by Auburn fans. That was clear when Jordan-Hare Stadium was sold out and Auburn beat Texas A&M 13-10 in an atmosphere more fitting for a championship game than one between two three-win teams.

“It felt like a championship atmosphere,” Williams said. “The way our players went out there and played against a very, very talented team. The way our fans showed up and cheered. The way the players played for each other. I am just so appreciative of the response our players had, how they changed their attitudes, how they represented Auburn in a time of chaos, how they represented themselves, their families and what they stood for. Like I told them, that’s something nobody can take away from us.”

Through the chaos of the days following Harsin’s firing, Williams thrived in every way. And he might have changed the trajectory of his coaching career.

“I went from having no aspirations, goals or dreams to ever even want to be a head coach,” Williams said. “Now, it showed me it is something I could do. As much pressure as there was and how hectic as it was, I actually liked it. I kind of enjoy all the chaos.”

6COMMENTS

After the way Williams handled himself, it’s a good bet that some program in search of a head coach will eventually come calling. If not, he says, he will be fine with staying at the university he so loves.

“Life has changed, but it’s great,” Williams said. “I get an opportunity to be at Auburn University and continue to serve these student-athletes, serve people. At the end of the day, it’s about changing lives. As I have told people, my seat doesn’t dictate my service. I am excited about this new opportunity I have to continue to lead.”

">247Sports
  • Love 3

Auburn names Offensive Player of the Year for 2022 season

Bryce Lazenby

2–3 minutes

The Auburn Tigers recently named their Offensive Player of the Year for the 2022 season.

The honor goes to Robby Ashford. Ashford took over as the starting QB after the Tigers were blown out by Penn State in Week 3. Ashford finished the 2022 season with 1,613 passing yards, 7 TDs, and 7 INTs. Ashford also contributed 7 rushing TDs and 710 rushing yards.

Making plays in the air & on the ground?@robby_ashford is our ????????? ?????? ?? ??? ???? ? pic.twitter.com/6FcTyt4xqA

— Auburn Football (@AuburnFootball) December 18, 2022

Ashford’s best game as a passer came in a loss to the Arkansas Razorbacks. Ashford went 24-of-33 for 285 yards and 1 TD. Ashford also contributed 87 rushing yards. On the ground, Ashford has his best game in the Iron Bowl against Alabama. In another loss, Ashford had 17 rushes for 121 yards.

Auburn is expected to be active in the transfer portal, specifically at the QB position, after a disappointing 5-7 season in 2022.

TRENDING

58,148 READS

51,772 READS

23,016 READS

Bryce Lazenby covers college football for Saturday Down South. A Nashville native, his previous stops include FanSided, Dimers, and The Leaf-Chronicle.

• Like 1

Cadillac Williams ‘here to serve’ after leading Auburn Tigers

Published: Dec. 19, 2022, 7:00 a.m.
5–6 minutes

Cadillac Williams

Former Auburn player and interim head coach Carnell Williams is welcomed by fans as he walks the field before an NCAA college football game against Texas A&M, Saturday, Nov. 12, 2022, in Auburn, Ala. (AP Photo/Butch Dill)AP

This story is part of AL.com’s series “22 Alabamians who made a difference in 2022,” highlighting people who have made our state a better place to live this year. Stories in this series will publish each weekday during December. Find all stories in the series as they publish here, and read about the Alabamians who made a difference in 2021 by clicking here.

Cadillac Williams nearly broke down crying the night before the Iron Bowl.

He turned to Google to do some research about the history of the Auburn-Alabama rivalry, then he shared it with his team on the eve of their game in Tuscaloosa: For the first time in the 129-year series between the two in-state rivals, one of them was going to be led onto the field by a Black head coach. That, of course, was Williams, the former Auburn All-America running back who was in his fourth season on staff at his alma mater and took over as the Tigers’ interim head coach on Oct. 31 after Bryan Harsin was fired midseason.

Read more on Cadillac Williams: The making of Coach Lac: Cadillac Williams’ humble journey from DII intern to Auburn head coach

‘It means everything’: A tearful Cadillac Williams reflects on time as Auburn’s interim coach

The story behind Cadillac Williams’ dapper gameday suit

It’s a position Williams never envisioned himself being in — not just making history in the Iron Bowl and becoming the first Black head coach to ever walk the sideline at Auburn, but the 40-year-old Gadsden native never saw himself becoming a head coach, period.

“I grew up always wanting to play in this game,” Williams said. “Dreamed about it, visualized about it, spoke it into existence…. We don’t dream about being a head coach, to be honest with you. For people before and after me that are striving to do these things, a lot of things in life if you can see it then you can strive for it and start believing it. Pretty cool. Pretty cool.

“I’m very thankful and honored for that. Can’t nobody take that away from me, no matter what goes on. Nobody.”

Williams did more than just make coaching history at Auburn in 2022; he revived a listless team, unified a divided fanbase and breathed new life into the Auburn program as he helped the Tigers navigate the final month of the season.

Williams sparked hope on the Plains after the disaster that was Harsin’s tenure as head coach. Harsin went just 9-12 in less than two seasons and was shown the door on Halloween amid a 3-5 start to the season. Williams was promoted to interim head coach the same day and helped Auburn stay afloat during a tumultuous time.

Auburn went 2-2 in November with Williams leading the program. That included an overtime road loss to Mississippi State in his first game, when Auburn erased a 21-point first-half deficit to twice claim the lead late in the fourth quarter before ultimately coming up short. That loss was followed by back-to-back wins against Texas A&M and Western Kentucky. The latter snapped a five-game losing streak and came in Williams’ home debut in front of a sold-out Jordan-Hare Stadium that spawned an atmosphere typically reserved for Iron Bowls or other high-stakes matchups, not a battle between a pair of 3-6 last-place teams.

It culminated in a 49-27 loss in the Iron Bowl that saw Auburn jump out to an early lead and show throughout the game the type of resolve instilled under Williams.

“I’m so humbled and honored for the way they responded through all of this,” Williams said. “I mean, through this process, they’ve made me a better person, better husband, father, friend — it’s just powerful what you can do whenever you get people believing, serving, not making it about each other. It’s powerful.”

Williams will forever be known as one of Auburn’s all-time great players (he’s No. 2 on the program’s career rushing list, behind Bo Jackson), but his impact on the program during his four weeks as interim head coach will likely outweigh his influence on the field from 2001-04.

After guiding the program through the end of a difficult season, Williams will now help Auburn usher in its next era, remaining on staff as the Tigers’ running backs coach and adding the title of associate head coach under Hugh Freeze.

“I’m here to serve,” Williams said. “Like I said before, my seat doesn’t dictate my service.”

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

• Love 1

Punt Bama Punt

'An ending for the ages': Punt Bama Punt, 50 years later

By Jeff Shearer
11/25/2022 4:00:00 PM

AUBURN, Ala. – If ESPN’s win probability and the internet had existed 50 years ago, it likely would have given Alabama a 99 percent chance of winning the 1972 Iron Bowl as the fourth quarter transpired.

After all, No. 2 Alabama led Auburn 16-3, and time was running out.

“We had to score,” said Bill Newton, who became an Iron Bowl legend on Dec. 2, 1972. “It was kind of like the Hail Mary pass, we’ve got to block a punt. Fortuitous as I was, it happened.”

Trailing 16-0 with 10 minutes left in the fourth quarter, Auburn kicked a field goal, then forced an Alabama punt.

“Our defense was astonishing that year,” Newton said. “We had practiced all year on making things happen, creating situations to turn the ball over.”

Newton made things happen all right, rushing up the middle and blocking Alabama’s punt, which David Langner fielded in stride and returned 25 yards for a touchdown that trimmed the Crimson Tide’s lead to 16-10.

After another defensive stop, Newton and Langner delivered an instant replay, this time tying the game at 16-16 with Gardner Jett’s extra point putting Auburn ahead 17-16. Langner then intercepted Alabama’s pass to seal the victory.  

“I can’t take credit for everything,” Newton said. “It was a team effort. We had 11 guys out there and all those players who were behind us. The 1972 game has been renowned in Auburn history and I’m really proud to having taken part of it.”

Newton did more than block two Alabama punts, he also made 23 tackles, the culmination of a rigorous training regimen that began weeks after Pat Sullivan became Auburn’s first Heisman Trophy winner the previous season.

“I think the coaches made us work,” Newton said. “When we came through our winter workout program after Sullivan and Beasley left, the coaches were bound and determined to make men out of us.

“There was nobody given any leeway, even the quarterbacks,” Newton said. “It bonded our group. We fought together against others and against ourselves.”

The flash of Sullivan-to-Beasley was gone. Auburn attempted to compensate for their absence by less flashy means: kicking, defense, discipline and special teams. Oh-so-special teams.

“We didn’t make mistakes,” said Terry Henley, the Tigers All-SEC running back. “We led the nation in fewest turnovers, we were the least penalized team in the country, we had the No. 1 punter in the country.”

Henley, who led the SEC with 843 rushing yards and scored a team-high 11 touchdowns, says the Auburn offense deserves part of the credit for AU’s stellar defense.

“’We kept the clock running to give y’all a short clock,’” Henley said. “We were all playing together and on one page. You win a lot of football games by not making mistakes.”

More than 50 team members, the Amazin’s as they came to be known, returned to Jordan-Hare Stadium when Auburn hosted Arkansas in late October to celebrate their 50-year reunion.

“What I would give to step in a huddle with each of them,” Henley said on Pat Dye Field. “It would be a dream come true.”

A half century later, the Amazin’s winning formula still applies.

“Never give up,” Henley said. “Play 60 minutes, and don’t make a mistake.”

1972 72 Amazin's'Auburn vs Arkansas on Saturday, Oct. 29, 2022 in Auburn, AL.Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics
50-year reunion: The 1972 Amazin's returned to Jordan-Hare Stadium for the Arkansas game

Punt Bama Punt instantly became part of Iron Bowl lore.

“It was a miracle that was not supposed to happen,” former Auburn athletics director and sports information director David Housel. “Kind of like the Kick Six, it wasn’t supposed to happen, but it did. In this case you had two unbelievable back-to-back punts blocked for touchdowns.

“There’s no way that could have happened but it did. If you look at the stats and read the play-by-play, Auburn was outmanned in every way. There’s no way Auburn could have won that game, but they did, making these two unbelievable plays. It was a terrible game but an ending for the ages.”

Leading up to the game, a matchup of top 10 teams, Auburn’s confidence stood out, recalls Housel.

“People on campus had gotten caught up with this football team and its refusal to lose. I don’t know that it was confident as much as it was hopeful. I think a lot of Auburn people went up there with the attitude, ‘We can do this.’”

Housel was on the Legion Field sideline for the second blocked punt, with Auburn trailing 16-10.

“When Alabama lined up to punt, everybody knew they were going to get it,” Housel said.  “There was no doubt. That was an unusual feeling.”

Suddenly, a 16-3 deficit had become a 17-16 Auburn lead.

“Words are not adequate to describe how that felt,” Housel said. “You still had a lot of football to be played. You’ve got to give our defense a lot of credit for holding on to that one-point lead.”

The Amazin’s had far exceeded expectations, winning the Gator Bowl to finish with a 10-1 record and a No. 5 ranking.

During preseason camp on the SEC Skywriters tour, Associated Press editor Ed Shearer summarized Auburn’s prospects.

“He wrote, ‘The biggest change in the Southeastern Conference power structure this year will be the demise of Auburn,’” said Housel, who then summarized the amazing ending of an amazing season by quoting another anonymous writer of yesteryear. “’That team believed in themselves, their destiny they knew, and they had the stuff to make their dreams come true.’”

Jeff Shearer is a Senior Writer at AuburnTigers.com. Follow him on Twitter: @jeff_shearer

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• Thanks 1

Punt Bama Punt

'An ending for the ages': Punt Bama Punt, 50 years later

By Jeff Shearer
11/25/2022 4:00:00 PM

AUBURN, Ala. – If ESPN’s win probability and the internet had existed 50 years ago, it likely would have given Alabama a 99 percent chance of winning the 1972 Iron Bowl as the fourth quarter transpired.

After all, No. 2 Alabama led Auburn 16-3, and time was running out.

“We had to score,” said Bill Newton, who became an Iron Bowl legend on Dec. 2, 1972. “It was kind of like the Hail Mary pass, we’ve got to block a punt. Fortuitous as I was, it happened.”

Trailing 16-0 with 10 minutes left in the fourth quarter, Auburn kicked a field goal, then forced an Alabama punt.

“Our defense was astonishing that year,” Newton said. “We had practiced all year on making things happen, creating situations to turn the ball over.”

Newton made things happen all right, rushing up the middle and blocking Alabama’s punt, which David Langner fielded in stride and returned 25 yards for a touchdown that trimmed the Crimson Tide’s lead to 16-10.

After another defensive stop, Newton and Langner delivered an instant replay, this time tying the game at 16-16 with Gardner Jett’s extra point putting Auburn ahead 17-16. Langner then intercepted Alabama’s pass to seal the victory.  

“I can’t take credit for everything,” Newton said. “It was a team effort. We had 11 guys out there and all those players who were behind us. The 1972 game has been renowned in Auburn history and I’m really proud to having taken part of it.”

Newton did more than block two Alabama punts, he also made 23 tackles, the culmination of a rigorous training regimen that began weeks after Pat Sullivan became Auburn’s first Heisman Trophy winner the previous season.

“I think the coaches made us work,” Newton said. “When we came through our winter workout program after Sullivan and Beasley left, the coaches were bound and determined to make men out of us.

“There was nobody given any leeway, even the quarterbacks,” Newton said. “It bonded our group. We fought together against others and against ourselves.”

The flash of Sullivan-to-Beasley was gone. Auburn attempted to compensate for their absence by less flashy means: kicking, defense, discipline and special teams. Oh-so-special teams.

“We didn’t make mistakes,” said Terry Henley, the Tigers All-SEC running back. “We led the nation in fewest turnovers, we were the least penalized team in the country, we had the No. 1 punter in the country.”

Henley, who led the SEC with 843 rushing yards and scored a team-high 11 touchdowns, says the Auburn offense deserves part of the credit for AU’s stellar defense.

“’We kept the clock running to give y’all a short clock,’” Henley said. “We were all playing together and on one page. You win a lot of football games by not making mistakes.”

More than 50 team members, the Amazin’s as they came to be known, returned to Jordan-Hare Stadium when Auburn hosted Arkansas in late October to celebrate their 50-year reunion.

“What I would give to step in a huddle with each of them,” Henley said on Pat Dye Field. “It would be a dream come true.”

A half century later, the Amazin’s winning formula still applies.

“Never give up,” Henley said. “Play 60 minutes, and don’t make a mistake.”

1972 72 Amazin's'Auburn vs Arkansas on Saturday, Oct. 29, 2022 in Auburn, AL.Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics
50-year reunion: The 1972 Amazin's returned to Jordan-Hare Stadium for the Arkansas game

Punt Bama Punt instantly became part of Iron Bowl lore.

“It was a miracle that was not supposed to happen,” former Auburn athletics director and sports information director David Housel. “Kind of like the Kick Six, it wasn’t supposed to happen, but it did. In this case you had two unbelievable back-to-back punts blocked for touchdowns.

“There’s no way that could have happened but it did. If you look at the stats and read the play-by-play, Auburn was outmanned in every way. There’s no way Auburn could have won that game, but they did, making these two unbelievable plays. It was a terrible game but an ending for the ages.”

Leading up to the game, a matchup of top 10 teams, Auburn’s confidence stood out, recalls Housel.

“People on campus had gotten caught up with this football team and its refusal to lose. I don’t know that it was confident as much as it was hopeful. I think a lot of Auburn people went up there with the attitude, ‘We can do this.’”

Housel was on the Legion Field sideline for the second blocked punt, with Auburn trailing 16-10.

“When Alabama lined up to punt, everybody knew they were going to get it,” Housel said.  “There was no doubt. That was an unusual feeling.”

Suddenly, a 16-3 deficit had become a 17-16 Auburn lead.

“Words are not adequate to describe how that felt,” Housel said. “You still had a lot of football to be played. You’ve got to give our defense a lot of credit for holding on to that one-point lead.”

The Amazin’s had far exceeded expectations, winning the Gator Bowl to finish with a 10-1 record and a No. 5 ranking.

During preseason camp on the SEC Skywriters tour, Associated Press editor Ed Shearer summarized Auburn’s prospects.

“He wrote, ‘The biggest change in the Southeastern Conference power structure this year will be the demise of Auburn,’” said Housel, who then summarized the amazing ending of an amazing season by quoting another anonymous writer of yesteryear. “’That team believed in themselves, their destiny they knew, and they had the stuff to make their dreams come true.’”

One of the strangest things about that game was the Thursday night pep rally in the old barn. The place was jammed. I climbed up and sat on a rafter to get a clear view. Coach Jordan was jovial. You could tell that the players had been coached. The seniors all stepped up to the mic, grinning, and talked about what a privilege it was to play a great team like Alabama. Until it was Henly's turn. He said "We're gonna take 'em like a capsule."  It was a very unusual feeling but everybody left there knowing that Coach and the players thought they were going to win. And they did win.