Is Finley staying?

gr82b4au

6 minutes ago, WillMunny said:

Finley is not the type of QB that would flourish in a Hugh Freeze offense.

Finley does not have the talent to play QB in the SEC.  He has proven that at two different SEC schools (LSU, AU).

Finley does have the talent to play QB at a lower school, and I hope for his sake and ours, he pursues that.  He deserves the chance to play there, and we deserve the open scholarship to give to a true D1 QB.

Sometimes, it's better for a player and fans to part ways.  This is one of those times.

Goodbye TJ, and good luck to you.  I know tour stay wasn't pleasant here.  It wasn't for us either. 

Well said. It seems TJ and his parents let it publically be known that they didn't like our offensive line, coaching staff, offense among other things. His father went on an Auburn podcast with 6 pages of notes and didn't hold back his displeasure, made every excuse for his son and wasn't favorable towards Robby Ashford. TJ's mom took to social media and let it be known that she, her husband and TJ should be told of any plans to hire an AD before it happens. Auburn is now the 2nd school where TJ and his parents think he has gotten a raw deal. LSU is the other. It seems that everything with LSU and Auburn is the problem, not TJ Finley. 

So, I see no reason why Auburn and us fans have to hold back on saying that TJ has been a terrible QB at both SEC schools he has attended and he, as well as his parents, have had problems with both SEC schools he has attended. Maybe it's not LSU and Auburn that are the problems.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

Well said. It seems TJ and his parents let it publically be known that they didn't like our offensive line, coaching staff, offense among other things. His father went on an Auburn podcast with 6 pages of notes and didn't hold back his displeasure, made every excuse for his son and wasn't favorable towards Robby Ashford. TJ's mom took to social media and let it be known that she, her husband and TJ should be told of any plans to hire an AD before it happens. Auburn is now the 2nd school where TJ and his parents think he has gotten a raw deal. LSU is the other. It seems that everything with LSU and Auburn is the problem, not TJ Finley. 

So, I see no reason why Auburn and us fans have to hold back on saying that TJ has been a terrible QB at both SEC schools he has attended and he, as well as his parents, have had problems with both SEC schools he has attended. Maybe it's not LSU and Auburn that are the problems.

I had the same thoughts when listening to his dad vent on the podcast. Obviously there was room for criticism aimed at the coaching staff. Targeting his teammates with public scrutiny is not a line he should have crossed. 

Side note. I was really disappointed that the podcast gave a platform for TJs dad to speak that way publicly. It was a bad look for all involved and helped in no way whatsoever 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

Yeah, early in the season, when TJ was starting, I noticed that he dissed his offensive line in a public interview, and also claimed that his interceptions were due to "great defensive back play".  In other words, he lacks both loyalty and accountability.

Edited by WillMunny
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

All three were a problem. LSU had issues. Auburn had issues. TJ had issues. TJ's release is slow and winding. A DL in the area has ample opportunity to hit his elbow, arm, hand, or the ball. His brain doesn't process the situation fast enough. It happens to a lot of QBs(some even get it fixed). The game was moving too fast for TJ simply put. I'll go further. TJ's parents have issues. They are the type of parent that finds no fault with their child. They are enablers. They are the reason that TJ will fail when in pressure situations off field. They are the reason TJ will fail when in a tough spot. When it gets difficult. They teach him to run when presented with adversity.  All three of them need to grow up.

Edited by Chaotic_zx
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

59 minutes ago, Chaotic_zx said:

All three were a problem. LSU had issues. Auburn had issues. TJ had issues. TJ's release is slow and winding. A DL in the area has ample opportunity to hit his elbow, arm, hand, or the ball. His brain doesn't process the situation fast enough. It happens to a lot of QBs(some even get it fixed). The game was moving too fast for TJ simply put. I'll go further. TJ's parents have issues. They are the type of parent that finds no fault with their child. They are enablers. They are the reason that TJ will fail when in pressure situations off field. They are the reason TJ will fail when in a tough spot. When it gets difficult. They teach him to run when presented with adversity.  All three of them need to grow up.

Parents are like nutrients in the soil for their kids. They can grow an oak that can stand strong through major storms or they can grow a dandelion that is destroyed with just a puff of wind. My hope was that my children knew I loved them but that they had to be able to fight their own battles. The hardest thing is for me to watch one of them struggle but they will never be strong if I swoop in to bail them out (not that kind of bail) when they face adversity. TJ needs to figure out what's best for him. Mom and dad won't be around forever. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 12/20/2022 at 9:49 AM, NoALtiger said:

You’d always want to upgrade any and all positions if you have the chance, QB included. Has nothing to do with developing your current rosters spots imo. 

Actually competition is where development starts. I can guarantee you that HF will play the best QB on the roster, and will not care if Ashford wins the job over quality competition. And QBs get hurt in the SEC. Two in the room isn't enough. 

• Like 1

On 12/21/2022 at 7:48 PM, ScotsAU said:

Y’all. Quit badmouthing current Auburn players. Mods, isn’t there a rule against character attacks of current players on here?

Finley got hurt last year, and didn’t want to go back out behind that terrible line and make his injury worse. Harsin tried to force a lot of guys on the field unnecessarily last year including Landon King, who everyone is speaking fondly of. Stop with the Finley attacks. He’s not a great QB. But there’s no reason to trash his character for how he responded to that awful coaching staff.

he is no longer a player. He threw his teammates under the bus with some untasteful stuff on twitter.most people thought he was a good kid until he started mouthing off along with his parents. while i agree with you on attacks on players he was well loved and admired until he started running his mouth. my point he is not considered aplayer thus i believe fair game?

I do wish Finley was returning. Granted his behavior was a no go, but to be fair , young adult and culture. Would love to see what he can do with a competent coach and line 

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 3

3 hours ago, DAG said:

I do wish Finley was returning. Granted his behavior was a no go, but to be fair , young adult and culture. Would love to see what he can do with a competent coach and line 

I actually think he is talented enough for the big boys. Last year from a body language stand point, I thought he was a better team player than Bo. That obviously changed. The behavior is repairable but not at Auburn. He wasn’t wrong about the offensive line but NOTHING good comes from trashing teammates. When parents speak out publicly......it’s time to part ways. But I do think the talent and potential was and is there. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, alexava said:

I actually think he is talented enough for the big boys. Last year from a body language stand point, I thought he was a better team player than Bo. That obviously changed. The behavior is repairable but not at Auburn. He wasn’t wrong about the offensive line but NOTHING good comes from trashing teammates. When parents speak out publicly......it’s time to part ways. But I do think the talent and potential was and is there. 

I agree. That was his undoing . I am happy with the future as long as we get a placeholder transfer 

• Like 1

On 12/19/2022 at 5:11 PM, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

Auburn is a program of ironies -- the latest being that after years of hearing people gloat over freeze"s malik willis qb development magic we are now faced with a couple qb's that should fall in his development wheelhouse.. On one hand i hope we get a transfer on the otherhand i hope he is forced to showcase his development talents. 

i think coach wants better competition in the QB room. it makes everyone work harder for the starting job. and i bet all the qb's will get their chance at practice. and coach said he couldnot wait to work with robby and while that might be coach speak i think he plans to make our QB's better whether they start or not.

I drank the Kool Aid and thought he could do something. Even with a bad OL, TJ Finley is not good. I don’t think RA is all that great either (strictly passing/being a QB) but his athleticism alone makes him a far better option

• Like 2

In a CFB world where freshman QBs are increasingly able to contribute early, I believe Geriner will compete very well this spring. We definitely need at least one portal guy, but  Geriner has a lot of potential. Especially with this HC and OC. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

In a CFB world where freshman QBs are increasingly able to contribute early, I believe Geriner will compete very well this spring. We definitely need at least one portal guy, but  Geriner has a lot of potential. Especially with this HC and OC. 

What gives you that impression? You may be completely correct, I just don’t have any data to support, as he did not play any.

28 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

What gives you that impression? You may be completely correct, I just don’t have any data to support, as he did not play any.

He was a 4* out of high school that had us all pumped to get him to The Plains.

All I can hope for is that he lives up to his billing and shows us all why he was rated so highly. Throw in our new staffs’ QB whisperer reputation and I’m looking forward to big things.

9 hours ago, AUGoo said:

He was a 4* out of high school that had us all pumped to get him to The Plains.

All I can hope for is that he lives up to his billing and shows us all why he was rated so highly. Throw in our new staffs’ QB whisperer reputation and I’m looking forward to big things.

Gotcha, the reason I asked is he came due to Harsin. Generally most tend to 🤮on anything Harsin. I hope this one works out for us, too

10 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

One, he came to us highly rated and put up great numbers in high school at a pass happy school. Two, Mike Bobo may not be a great OC but he has a great reputation identifying QB talent and this was his guy. I’m not inferring he’s the guy but  most on here don’t even mention his name for next year.  I’m eager to see and hear how HF and PM view his skill set. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

You could base it off his HS career which every single recruit is based off of. Unless he's a total fraud he should be able to make plays behind a competent OL. I hope he gets a shot but right now we need a transfer QB.

RA would need to make some real strides in the passing and leadership skills to be able to lead Auburn to a successful season in 23. I hope he can because his athleticism can make a big difference. If you could rewind the clock RA should've gone to a P5 school and killed it and then possibly transferred after a year or two. He just has not gotten enough snaps in his career.