SEC in Bowl Games

AURex

I gotta let the ‘21 Iron Bowl go….

But that was the last straw with Harsin for me. Should have gone for 2 in the first OT period. At home, with a one legged quarterback….he should have known that we would not win in a shootout!!!

And yeah….I was never really sold on Kiffin and his 1-5 finish to the season solidified my feelings. He barely beat a bad TAMU team for that 1 win.

• Like 4

The officials absolutely hosed Arkansas late in their bowl game. They ruled Arkansas fumbled the ball in the 4th quarter with less than 3 minutes to go when they were up 38-23.

Looked pretty clear the Arkansas player's arm was down when the ball came out.

The second bad call the officials made on Arkansas was the targeting penalty on Kansas's 2 pt play in the 2nd overtime.

There was clearly helmet to helmet contact but that's doesn't make it targeting. First, the Kansas QB was not defenseless because he was running the ball. Second, by rule targeting on a runner can only happen if a defender uses the crown of the helmet on a tackle/hit. Pause the video below at 0:04 and you can see the Arkansas player hits the Kansas QB with the side of his helmet, not the crown. This should have been overturned.

"We have one of the very few fouls in our rulebook that carry an automatic disqualification, so replay was there for the purposes of making sure we're disqualifying players only if they truly met the requirements for targeting," said John McDaid, Southeastern Conference coordinator of officials.

But video review also also brought an element of subjectivity to the process.

That, of course, leads fans and players to wonder whether they're getting a fair shake on a given targeting call.

"I want people to understand that once we stopped the game (and) we started looking at the video, we are applying subjectivity in the framework of the playing rules," McDaid said. "But a lot of times (with video reviews), it's not subjective when we go to replay. Where did the ball hit the ground? Did the foot step on the sideline or not? Did the game clock run when it should or not?"

The subjective dilemma

McDaid said that targeting, broadly stated now, is aiming at an opponent for purposes of attacking, or forcible contact beyond making a legal tackle or legal block.

Where fans get confused, McDaid said, is thinking that this includes all helmet-to-helmet contact and above-the-shoulder contact.

An official must answer three questions when he reviews a targeting call:

1. Is the player defenseless?

2. Is there an indicator?

3. Was the crown of the helmet used to make forcible contact on the opponent, or, if the player was defenseless, do we have forcible contact above the shoulders?

The third option complements the first, since targeting can actually be committed against players who aren't defenseless ("The only targeting you can have on a runner is use of the crown of the helmet," McDaid said).

Edited by Auburnfan91

8 hours ago, AURex said:

Coming up -- The Orange Bowl is aptly named

Tennessee vs Clemson Friday night.

And South Carolina vs Notre Dame Friday afternoon. How could I forget? Both 8-4, but Cocks on a hot streak.

11 hours ago, 1716AU said:

Then we shouldn't have blown games to LSU and FSU.  Offense couldn't get the job done in either game.

1988 was a really GOOD team, but not a great one.  And it wasn't as good as the 83 team.  Had that team showed up for the first half of the Texas game, they probably would have had an undefeated season.  UT stopped them stone cold for a half.  No one else did that until Michigan in the Sugar Bowl.

Ok

Well, most SEC bowl teams have not played yet. Razorbacks won their game, Ole Pissies lost theirs. The post season is just getting started.

On 12/29/2022 at 8:03 AM, 1716AU said:

Then we shouldn't have blown games to LSU and FSU.  Offense couldn't get the job done in either game.

1988 was a really GOOD team, but not a great one.  And it wasn't as good as the 83 team.  Had that team showed up for the first half of the Texas game, they probably would have had an undefeated season.  UT stopped them stone cold for a half.  No one else did that until Michigan in the Sugar Bowl.

Agree with all of this. LSU game that year was Reggie Slack's first road start and it showed. I think LSU converted at least two 4th downs on their game-winning drive. 🤢

FSU game we lost early...got down 13-0 fast because of multiple turnovers (they ran a fake FG that we defended well, or it would have been worse than that) and couldn't climb the hill. Freddy Weygand was 100% interfered with on our last drive...wouldn't have guaranteed a score, but a couple of shots from inside the 10 would have been interesting with Lawyer Tillman going up for a ball. Oh, well...idle musings on a slow Friday afternoon.

• Thanks 1

This South Carolina vs Notre Dame game is fantastic.  38-31 ND with 11 to go in game.  Been going back and forth but ND getting 14 straight. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AUBwins said:

This South Carolina vs Notre Dame game is fantastic.  38-31 ND with 11 to go in game.  Been going back and forth but ND getting 14 straight. 

This is one heck of a game! Just saw USCe get a 100+ yard pick six to tie the game!

Edited by Never2Yield
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, AURex said:

Well, most SEC bowl teams have not played yet. Razorbacks won their game, Ole Pissies lost theirs. The post season is just getting started.

SEC hasn't looked too good so far. Arkansas blew a 25 point lead with like 5 minutes left. They pulled it out in triple overtime. Missouri, Florida and Ole Miss all lost. South Carolina just had a 100 yard TD to tie the game 38-38 with Notre Dame. This game has gone back and forth all game. Can't wait to see Clemson vs Tennessee tonight. Both teams are playing backup QB's. 

Checking in from the Orange Bowl with Tennessee vs. Clemson.  Thanks to Harsin I didn’t have an Auburn bowl to go to.

C299A622-AC45-4DC5-BABC-90E8A2189103.jpeg

• Like 4

Who do y'all want to win the playoff games tomorrow? I'm gonna have to pull for Ohio State over UGA, even though I can't stand Ryan Day and his black hair dye. Seriously, that man has the darkest hair and beard of anybody I've ever seen. It has to be dyed black.

I think Michigan handles TCU pretty good. Harbaugh has built a culture in Ann Arbor and those boys play tough. He has the best O-Line in the country. I know he is pretty quirky but he has built that team right. They've went 25-2 the last 2 seasons, back to back Big 10 Champs, they've beaten Ohio State 2 straight years, made the playoffs both years. I think they'll beat TCU and then beat whomever they face in the Title game. 

So either Tennessee's success this year might not be one and done after all, or Clemson is in decline. I really didn't expect this result.

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1

Is Dabo starting to lose some of his magic . The Vols seemed to score pretty easily when needed. They are missing their main receivers as well. Also Clemson has set a record for plays ran and only muster  14 points 

16 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Courtesy of a client who is a NIL donor to Tennessee.

Did you talk to any Tennessee or Clemson fans? If so, how were they? I'm always interested in hearing how other fanbases treats fans from other schools. 

I live in NW Alabama and I'm around quiet a few Tennessee fans. They seem pretty confident that Heupel already has them back to the Tennessee of the 90's. He has done well this year but was pretty average last year. That fanbase has been basement dwellers for 20 years so any bright spot they have gets amplified ×'s 100. I've been around Clemson fans when we've played them and they've seemed pretty chill. Of course they hadn't won a Natty yet when I was around them but Dabo still had them rolling along. 

Most teams have good fans. Some of those good fans turn bad when too much alcohol is involved. Those fans are usually LSU, Georgia and Alabama fans. Ole Miss and Vanderbilt are the nicest fans I've ever encountered however, this latest Kiffin fiasco and then us having Coach Freeze now may turn some Ole Miss fans against us. 

Happy New Years & WDE

17 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

Who do y'all want to win the playoff games tomorrow? I'm gonna have to pull for Ohio State over UGA, even though I can't stand Ryan Day and his black hair dye. Seriously, that man has the darkest hair and beard of anybody I've ever seen. It has to be dyed black.

I think Michigan handles TCU pretty good. Harbaugh has built a culture in Ann Arbor and those boys play tough. He has the best O-Line in the country. I know he is pretty quirky but he has built that team right. They've went 25-2 the last 2 seasons, back to back Big 10 Champs, they've beaten Ohio State 2 straight years, made the playoffs both years. I think they'll beat TCU and then beat whomever they face in the Title game. 

Same.

I want tOSU to win, and I think UM beats TCU. Not sure I care who wins any of the games other than I want uga to not win it all.

• Like 2

Looks like TCU coach needs to revisit his comments. K state the Big 12 champ is On the verge of getting blown out by the SEC 3 or 4th place team