QB”s

Old fan 47

So I read where Grayson McCall, the QB from Coastal Carolina canceled his weekend visit to AU, but the QB, Devin Leary, considered to be the top portal QB is coming in for a visit. His numbers look impressive, as he did and has competed against ACC teams, coming from NC State. Good news, as I just don’t think Robby is an SEC caliber QB. As an athlete, I know he would do well, but we need an established QB that can complete at least 58-65% of their passes and Freeze knows this already. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Old fan 47 said:

So I read where Grayson McCall, the QB from Coastal Carolina canceled his weekend visit to AU, but the QB, Devin Leary, considered to be the top portal QB is coming in for a visit. His numbers look impressive, as he did and has competed against ACC teams, coming from NC State. Good news, as I just don’t think Robby is an SEC caliber QB. As an athlete, I know he would do well, but we need an established QB that can complete at least 58-65% of their passes and Freeze knows this already. 

Robby can be converted to an interesting RB or WR, who can make trick plays in CFH's system

Edited by aucat
typo
  • Like 2

Bring in an experienced and successful QB at the very least gives HF options. Not saying Robby won’t  play but a competitive environment would for sure improve our QB situation. 

robbie played hurt most of the year and it affected his throwing or so i have read and been told. i say do not sleep on robbie. i think he can step his game up but they might not want to give him the time he needs to do so. i do not think he is a gatewood by any means. that is not against joey since he was my man crush.

• Like 4

The guy people are sleeping on is Holden Geriner. He was a 4* prospect who has all the tools Freeze wants in a QB. If for some reason we fail to get a solid QB from the portal I think Geriner will win the job. Ashford has a lot to contribute but he'll do best at WR where he can get the ball in space or run jet sweeps.

• Like 8

Robbie is a RS freshman and played in an offense that was not to his strengths behind pretty bad offensive line play. He was also hurt in every game he started except the first one. We should definitely bring in 1-2 portal QBs if for no other reason than to create some competition. But there’s no reason to count out Robbie… or Holden for that matter. Let’s see what they do under HF with some coaching and a better scheme before we call them busts.

Edited by ScotsAU
  • Like 3

I suspect a proven playmaker at QB will be central to Freeze pulling portal OL and anchoring what's left of recruiting this year into next. This will be a key test of Freeze's recruiting ability and it won't be easy. QBs are the game now, and everyone wants one every single year. 

If we end up starting Ashford again next year, we missed again. I think the kid is a great competitor, but he's not on this level. And I know he was hurt, but the guy couldn't complete a 5 yard screen pass. Now that we're back into the spread, if he can't make that throw, he's not cut out for the job. If he has to run for his life every play another season, he'll get broken in two. Defenses will be headhunting. 

Edited by aucom96
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

The guy people are sleeping on is Holden Geriner. He was a 4* prospect who has all the tools Freeze wants in a QB. If for some reason we fail to get a solid QB from the portal I think Geriner will win the job. Ashford has a lot to contribute but he'll do best at WR where he can get the ball in space or run jet sweeps.

As poor as our QB play was, he didn’t get a sniff. Gotta be a reason for that. If RA was injured and he never saw the field, gotta be a reason for that.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

As poor as our QB play was, he didn’t get a sniff. Gotta be a reason for that. If RA was injured and he never saw the field, gotta be a reason for that.

He wasn't. But the back up is everyone's favorite.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hank2020 said:

It’s possible, but even an imbecile like CBH knew that Holden had no chance behind that OL due to his lack of mobility. 

I would take Holden’s passing ability over RA any day of the week. There’s also a reason why RA never took a snap at Oregon and he ended up at Auburn. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Old fan 47 said:

So I read where Grayson McCall, the QB from Coastal Carolina canceled his weekend visit to AU

I read that there may be academic issues with him transferring to AU. 

I wouldn't count RA out of anything. I saw him make some great throws this year and he is a tremendous runner and fierce competitor.

I think there is a possiblity that he can develop into a fine SEC QB. A good o-line and a little more emotional maturity may be all he needs to progress.

I look at it like this: He looked much better this season than Cam Newton did during his Spring Game at AU. There is no way I imagined how much Cam Newton would improve from that performance, win the Heisman, and become an Auburn legend. 

• Like 2

I am not totally out on RA. I want to see what Coach Freeze can do with him. I don’t read to much into him not taking snaps at Oregon as there could be numerous reason. You could use that argument against Holden but most Auburn fans know that would be setting him up for failure.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

One word: Harsin

19 minutes ago, e808 said:

I am not totally out on RA. I want to see what Coach Freeze can do with him. I don’t read to much into him not taking snaps at Oregon as there could be numerous reason. You could use that argument against Holden but most Auburn fans know that would be setting him up for failure.

Zero snaps in two full seasons would require a lot of reasons.

11 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Remember 2020 was the Covid year and I don’t think anyone had a spring . The PAC12 was the last to give in and played maybe 6 games. I would give him a pass on that year not sure what the issue was for 2021.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I understand blaming Harsin. He also did not see the field with Lac.

Why would u put Holden in to run a zone read offense which required the quarterback to run a lot. I don’t see that as a knock on Holden. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CodeRocket said:

I read that there may be academic issues with him transferring to AU. 

I wouldn't count RA out of anything. I saw him make some great throws this year and he is a tremendous runner and fierce competitor.

I think there is a possiblity that he can develop into a fine SEC QB. A good o-line and a little more emotional maturity may be all he needs to progress.

I look at it like this: He looked much better this season than Cam Newton did during his Spring Game at AU. There is no way I imagined how much Cam Newton would improve from that performance, win the Heisman, and become an Auburn legend. 

Good thoughts. The talent is there, but will HF want to go into his first year with a developmental QB. The kid from NC State is good. I agree our OL was very weak, but I also rarely saw RA go through more than one check when throwing, before he tucked and ran. I didn’t know about the academics with the Grayson kid. We will get to see obviously. At least HF is getting AU noticed and flipping some guys. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hank2020 said:

I understand blaming Harsin. He also did not see the field with Lac.

We need to keep at least one QB on the roster who’s not completely physically broken behind a terrible o-line in a shot season 🤣😂

• Like 1

Not sure why anybody would give up on RA, yet. Even Harsin could see something in him. Lol

Now that NC State QB is the real deal, and day 1 starter!!  He is worth the attention we seem to be giving him. 

36 minutes ago, TXaubie said:

Not sure why anybody would give up on RA, yet. Even Harsin could see something in him. Lol

Now that NC State QB is the real deal, and day 1 starter!!  He is worth the attention we seem to be giving him. 

Leary much farther along on QB skillset.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, TXaubie said:

I think your right.  Key word is "yet".  Hopefully Robbie doesn't think he is a great Qb now. If so, that is a problem.  If he understands his weeknesses, takes the time to sit behind a good Qb and watch and learn, that will be so beneficial for him next year.  More importantly than that, being taught and developed under our 3 headed monster in the Qb room will be invaluable.  Be humble, take advantage of the year to get better and then come out next year and have a Malik Willis year and build your draft stock.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AUINSY said:

We need to keep at least one QB on the roster who’s not completely physically broken behind a terrible o-line in a shot season 🤣😂

I know our O-line did not perform their best in 2022 but a lot of the blame should fall on the BH/coaching staff for not figuring out how to get the best of the line talent.  Once BH was canned, the team rallied around a running attack that continued to produce (actually got a little better) running the ball.  We culminated in the most running yards against bama, they didn't surrender that kind of yardage to anyone all season - and they knew that's what we were going to do and they couldn't stop it.  Now, the rise of the running game came at the expense of a disappearing passing game.  Some of that could been on the injury to RA.

So lets quit tossing the O-line under the bus.  Yes they were not the best, but if we had done what a Caddy led effort revealed earlier in the season, we might have gotten bowl eligible.    Still rubs my a$$ to have to watch a 5-7 Rice team today in a bowl game.

• Like 3

Robbie was a freshman QB with an injured shoulder running for his life behind a poorly coached offensive in an offense that was not suited to him for most of the year.  I also thought he was much better after he got out of the tater offense.  With his talent I wouldn’t count him out of our QB competition at all.  I also wouldn’t count Geriner out we know nothing about him based on this past season.