2023 Portal Discussion Thread

toddc

1 hour ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

McCall rumors

McCall didn’t enter the portal by the deadline to play this fall so those rumors can officially rest in peace. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, GreenTiger said:

We have no clue what is going on with these two QBs.
For all we know Thompson wasn’t cleared by the training staff or wants to take other visits before he decides. Or the staff told him he is plan B if A does not work out. 
Thorne might have to complete his academics and get his grades sent to Auburn before they can officially offer him. Or he might not even be that interested in Auburn and is slow playing the staff. 🤷

I'm sorry, sir. Your post ignores the fact that only two possibilities exist on this forum. The player commits to AU or the coaching staff blew it. 

Where is that yellow font when you need it?

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, AEAugirl said:

McCall didn’t enter the portal by the deadline to play this fall so those rumors can officially rest in peace. 

Wait, I'm confused because I thought the whole thing with him hinged on being a grad transfer so the portal wouldn't matter. How many layers does this thing have?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

What does it even mean to slow play Thompson? Either he has a commitable offer from us or he doesn't.  

In theory it means we like you but want to check out someone else before making a final call. Not saying that's what's happening here. Just defining slow play.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, AEAugirl said:

All AU recruiting reporters and insiders are talking like grad transfers can still enter and play in the Fall. Yes I remember what you posted the other day. Time will tell.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Wait, I'm confused because I thought the whole thing with him hinged on being a grad transfer so the portal wouldn't matter. How many layers does this thing have?

@gr82be

Here ya go...

• Like 2

Is it possible that the May 1st deadline to enter the portal as a graduate transfer doesn't apply to students who graduate after May 1st?

43 minutes ago, gr82be said:

They can enter whenever, but there is an eligibility deadline of May 1 for fall sports for grad transfers.

Edited by AEAugirl
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Cardin Drake said:

Is it possible that the May 1st deadline to enter the portal as a graduate transfer doesn't apply to students who graduate after May 1st?

He could enter the portal even before he graduates and just not transfer until he graduates but he had to have his name in by May 1 to be eligible as a grad transfer to play this fall at another school.  Example, Thorne from MSU did this.   He has not graduated yet.  

It’s super confusing but they changed that rule last September giving the grad transfers more flexibility WHEN they can enter (anytime) but still giving them a deadline for eligibility. 

Postgraduate students will be subject to deadlines to enter the Transfer Portal:

• Fall and winter sports: May 1.
  • Spring sports: July 1.

https://www.ncaa.org/news/2022/9/21/media-center-di-council-modifies-transfer-rules-for-postgraduate-students.aspx#:~:text=Postgraduate students will be subject,Spring sports%3A July 1.

Edited by AEAugirl
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Cardin Drake said:

That's correct.  Grad Transfers aren't held to the 4/30 deadline 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

What does it even mean to slow play Thompson? Either he has a commitable offer from us or he doesn't.  

Have you ever casually dated before??? 

• Love 1
  • Haha 6

3 hours ago, AUwent said:

I’d kinda rather us be going after Thompson if there’s even the slightest chance that Thorne’s academic status is in doubt. Have we learned nothing from the McCall debacle?

Of course you do

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

Nobody. Went is just jumping from A to X times Y divided by Z as he does from time to time.

He always does

10 minutes ago, GreenTiger said:

Have you ever casually dated before??? 

Hell no

3 hours ago, AUwent said:

I’d kinda rather us be going after Thompson if there’s even the slightest chance that Thorne’s academic status is in doubt. Have we learned nothing from the McCall debacle?

You do realize that both QBs are grad transfers....right?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AEAugirl said:

He could enter the portal even before he graduates and just not transfer until he graduates but he had to have his name in by May 1 to be eligible as a grad transfer to play this fall at another school.  Example, Thorne from MSU did this.   He has not graduated yet.  

It’s super confusing but they changed that rule last September giving the grad transfers more flexibility WHEN they can enter (anytime) but still giving them a deadline for eligibility. 

Postgraduate students will be subject to deadlines to enter the Transfer Portal:

https://www.ncaa.org/news/2022/9/21/media-center-di-council-modifies-transfer-rules-for-postgraduate-students.aspx#:~:text=Postgraduate students will be subject,Spring sports%3A July 1.

If that is truly the case, TJ either did not know it or does not plan to be eligible this fall. He announced May 2nd that he was entering the portal after he graduates. 

“With me graduating this summer, I will be entering the transfer portal as a graduate transfer.”

• Like 3
  • Love 1

44 minutes ago, AEAugirl said:

I think there may be some confusing terminology with the grad transfer and postgrad transfer wording. If that is not the case the ncaa documentation being referenced is confusing at best. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

If that is truly the case, TJ either did not know it or does not plan to be eligible this fall. He announced May 2nd that he was entering the portal after he graduates. 

“With me graduating this summer, I will be entering the transfer portal as a graduate transfer.”

@gr82b4au It takes up to 2 days to process. He likely initiated things formally before making a public announcement.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gr82b4au said:

If I recall I think the talk was him going down to D3 to join his brother at some small directional school in Louisiana…..I think D3 might have some different rules regarding transfers from D1/D2 but honestly this stuff is extremely confusing and it’s no wonder universities have an army of staff to weed through this.  

2 minutes ago, aujohnson said:

I think there may be some confusing terminology with the grad transfer and postgrad transfer wording. If that is not the case the ncaa documentation being referenced is confusing at best. 

What I have noticed is what we refer to simply as a “grad transfer” they refer to as “post graduate transfer” or “post graduate athlete”….they are all the same. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bigbird said:

b-ig-daddy-prove-it.gif

Bird, I think it’s time to tell all the fine people about your secret group that you have where you give some of us super secret squirrel insider info. You just told a few of us that Grayson is committing tonight. Just fess up. They’re going to find out sooner or later.

image.gif.6d9b7780f5a1b7c04ca4b50f92482017.gif

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Bird, I think it’s time to tell all the fine people about your secret group that you have where you give some of us super secret squirrel insider info. You just told a few of us that Grayson is committing tonight. Just fess up. They’re going to find out sooner or later.

image.gif.6d9b7780f5a1b7c04ca4b50f92482017.gif

Time for a new handshake

the-simpsons-homer-simpson.gif

• Haha 1