2023 Portal Discussion Thread

toddc

8 hours ago, AUfan3333 said:

Does anyone know anything about the WR from Colorado or the DE from JMU that is visiting?

Yes. They are visiting.

3 hours ago, tbone4jc said:

Dylan Brooks hit the portal. We are loosing an alarming amount of dlinemen or am I just paranoid 

@tbone4jc It's not an alarming amount but you have a right to be concerned if you wish. Very few of the players who have transferred out the past few weeks, including Brooks, weren't going to play much. Brooks was at best 3rd  but more likely 4th or lower on the depth chart for our Jack position.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Not with our favorable schedule for a change. Should win 7 minimum even with the QBs we have.

My thoughts are that defensive teams will again stack the box. The only thing that opens that up is passing. Having the likely starter missing 4 of 5 screen passes in the last regular season game troubles me. I might have a higher outlook with no QB coming in if I seen enough plays in the spring game(not his fault). What I did see in the spring game though is RA was less turnover prone while running. That gives me hope. 

Edited by Chaotic_zx

57 minutes ago, woodford said:

How many visitors did we have yesterday?

They weren't all yesterday. 2 were yesterday and 3 are expected today. Also Casey Thompson still hasn't visited yet.

• Thanks 1

Can Michigan State QB transfer Payton Thorne be a fit for Auburn?

26 minutes ago

As Auburn continues to search for a quarterback addition, a new name has emerged. Former Nebraska and Texas quarterback Casey Thompson is one, with Thompson expected to arrive in Auburn on Sunday for a visit. But on Sunday, another name has appeared. 

Former Michigan State quarterback Payton Thorne entered his name into the portal as a graduate transfer, with Auburn a strong potential fit.

Beginning his collegiate career in 2019, Thorne redshirted as a freshman and played in four games as a redshirt freshman in 2020.

Taking over as the starter in 2021, Thorne set Michigan State records as he led the team to an 11-2 record and a Peach Bowl win, finishing the year as an honorable mention for All-Big Ten accolades and being ranked No. 8 in the final poll. Thorne completed over 60 percent of his passes for 3,240 yards, 27 touchdowns and 10 interceptions, also rushing for 181 yards and four touchdowns. Thorne's 27 passing touchdowns broke Kirk Cousins' single-season record at Michigan State.

Under Mel Tucker the Spartans offense took a step back in 2022, as Thorne had 2,679 yards, 19 touchdowns and 11 interceptions while completing 62.5 percent of his passes. Thorne was a team captain for the Spartans in both 2021 and 2022.

5COMMENTS

Originally from Naperville, Illinois, Thorne was the No. 1,080 recruit and No. 26 dual-threat quarterback in his recruiting class. Michigan State lists Thorne at 6-foot-2 and 210 pounds.

Auburn currently still has Robby Ashford, Holden Geriner and T.J. Finley on roster at quarterback, with Hank Brown set to enroll as a freshman next month.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

They weren't all yesterday. 2 were yesterday and 3 are expected today. Also Casey Thompson still hasn't visited yet.

Heard Thompson is currently on campus. Any confirmation?

5 minutes ago, Browning4AU said:

Heard Thompson is currently on campus. Any confirmation?

Casey Thompson has arrived at AU for his OV per JLee.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

I like the Thorne kid.  He'd do great with Freeze. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Who's the better fit Casey Thompson or the guy from Mich St?

Thorne seems a little better. He also doesn't have countless injuries. And he has two years of eligibility left

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

Thorne seems a little better. He also doesn't have countless injuries. And he has two years of eligibility left

I like the 2 yrs left 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I like the 2 yrs left 

Agree. 2 years gives us stability and then we have a comp of RA Sr, HG RSJR, WW RSFR

2 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Who's the better fit Casey Thompson or the guy from Mich St?

I'm betting his shoulder ain't hurt.

Judging by their highlight reels alone (small and biased sample size), I prefer Thorne because I’m not sure I saw Thompson throw more than one pass greater than 20 yds downfield. Meanwhile, Thorne was slinging it deep every other pass.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Agree. 2 years gives us stability and then we have a comp of RA Sr, HG RSJR, WW RSFR

I would be surprised if Robbie is here in 2 years if he is not starting, much less one.

• Like 5