2023 Portal Discussion Thread

toddc

Hugh Freeze addresses Auburn's ongoing hunt for a transfer portal QB

Justin Hokanson

Photo by Auburn Athletics

Auburn football head coach Hugh Freezewas in Huntsville on Thursday night for the second Ambush alumni event following a stop in Atlanta on Tuesday night.

While there, Freeze was back talking about the quarterback position. It’s been a common occurrence since spring camp began at the end of February. Freeze hasn’t minced words, at times being very critical of the quarterbacks, and at times praising them for their efforts.

Leading into Auburn’s A-Day game, Freeze said he expected the quarterback battle to “rage” on into fall camp.

And following spring game on April 8, Freeze again said he’s open to a portal quarterback, despite what he called “improved” play from his quarterbacks during the spring.

On Thursday evening, Hugh Freeze again addressed the quarterback situation with reporters in attendance.

“I get excited about Holden (Geriner) and Robby (Ashford) and T.J (Finley). and Hank Brown who is coming in. Does that mean we won’t continue to look? Truthfully, I haven’t seen one yet that I thought was ‘bam,’ that’s a no brainer and ahead of the ones we have,” Freeze said according to a tweet by Auburn athletics reporter Jeff Shearer. 

“I know some may not want to hear that because they think an instant fix. I get the tweets, trust me. Every time a quarterback goes into the portal, ‘there he is, there he is,’ and then I watch the film and that’s really not the one I’m looking for.”

Freeze talked about being “excited” about coaching his current quarterbacks, but added a caveat as the Tigers’ search for a transfer portal quarterback continues.

“There could be one that goes in tomorrow or the next day that alright, this one makes sense. That’s as clear as I can put it, I think,” Freeze said.

JOIN AUBURN LIVE FOR AROUND $7/MONTH RIGHT NOW

The spring portal window closes on April 30. That window is for undergrads looking to transfer for the first time. SEC to SEC transfers aren’t allowed in the spring as a conference rule.

However, graduates can transfer whenever, meaning if Auburn were to target a graduate quarterback, the transfer could happen outside of the spring portal window.

Geriner drew praise during the middle of spring camp for his improved play on the heels of throwing in Auburn’s Pro Day.

Ashford has also earned praise, with Freeze and offensive coordinator Philip Montgomery talking about the difficulties in evaluating Ashford during non-contact practices, given Ashford’s unique abilities to run the football.

Finley said immediately following the Tigers’ spring game that he would have “have a conversation” with Freeze if a portal quarterback was signed.

Auburn sophomore DL Tobechi Okoli enters the transfer portal

Justin Hokanson•about 2 hours

Tobechi Okoli practices during spring camp in 2023. (Photo by Auburn Athletics)

AUBURN — Auburn football redshirt sophomore defensive lineman Tobechi Okoli entered the transfer portal with only days remaining until the April 30 deadline to enter during the spring window.

Okoli played against Alabama State during his true freshman season in 2021. Okoli didn’t see action during the 2022 season.

Okoli was a three-star recruit in the On3 Sports Consensus player rankings in 2020. Okoli played high school football at Lincoln Prep in Kansas City, Missouri.

Edited by toddc
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, toddc said:

Finley said immediately following the Tigers’ spring game that he would have “have a conversation” with Freeze if a portal quarterback was signed

Without knowing the context and inflection when he said it matters but just looking at the printed words I'd say the conversation would be one sided because Freeze would have already said all he needed to say by signing a portal QB. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Wonder who the next rumor will be

Ok, not to get your hopes up but Hoke just said that there is smoke to TT leaving Maryland. It is not just an unfounded rumor. 
We will see. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

Ok, not to get your hopes up but Hoke just said that there is smoke to TT leaving Maryland. It is not just an unfounded rumor. 
We will see. 

We seem to inhale a lot of smoke as Auburn fans 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Harsh 

Just truth. Robby is not a QB. He and a few AU fans just refuse to see it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Dislike 1

13 hours ago, ScotsAU said:

Way too early to make this statement. I do think Richardson slips. But he will be drafted. However, go watch him at the beginning of last season. He was god awful. Eventually a light flipped on for him as the season progressed. Robbie has a decent sized arm, and excellent mobility. There’s potential. So far, we haven’t seen it come together. Doesn’t mean the light couldn’t come on at some point. Also, just to be clear, I’m not saying the light will come on either. Just way too early in his career to completely write him off. 

Not at all. Robby is not a QB. As irratic as A-Rich is a passer he is still at a higher as a passer than Robby ever will be. Some refuse to understand this but for the most part, who you are as a passer, especially accuracy, is who you always will be. It's a trait that can't be developed much. Also not to early to write Robby off as a QB. @metafour has provided exhaustive amounts of evidence that some just refuse to believe.

• Like 5
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Not at all. Robby is not a QB. As irratic as A-Rich is a passer he is still at a higher as a passer than Robby ever will be. Some refuse to understand this but for the most part, who you are as a passer, especially accuracy, is who you always will be. It's a trait that can't be developed much. Also not to early to write Robby off as a QB. @metafour has provided exhaustive amounts of evidence that some just refuse to believe.

I don’t see how you think we can even reach 7 wins with our current QB stable. I go back and forth on how much slack Freeze should be given. Regardless, if we can’t get a transfer QB we at least need a big splash in recruiting and we need it soon.

Edited by AUwent

14 minutes ago, AUwent said:

I don’t see how you think we can even reach 7 wins with our current QB stable. I go back and forth on how much slack Freeze should be given. Regardless, if we can’t get a transfer QB we at least need a big splash in recruiting and we need it soon.

Most AU fans think 6 wins is the ceiling with the current situation. 
We really need the defense to step up.

I think the Colts think they can develop Richardson's accuracy, or they wouldn't have picked him 4th.  54% passers don't make it in the NFL.  If we have to go to war with the current roster, RA is the best we have.   You can believe that and still want to get a proven transfer QB.  But if you are going to have a mediocre passing attack anyway, you sure need the QB who is an exceptional runner.

Of the QBS on our roster right now. Which one would win the most games this coming season.  Just assuming that each one would play the whole season,  no injuries etc. If we had 3 seasons this yr and each one played a full yr who wins more games?

38 minutes ago, AUwent said:

I don’t see how you think we can even reach 7 wins with our current QB stable.

@AUwent As I have said many times. It's all about the schedule. We have 5 should wins in our 4 noncons and Vandy plus both Mississippis at home. We should win all 7 even with our QB room. Also Arky ain'y great & while they have some talent A&M is still over hyped as they are at a decicit of 25 players transferred out to in. That's 9 winnable games & there's no excuse not getting at least 7 barring injury.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Most AU fans think 6 wins is the ceiling with the current situation. 
We really need the defense to step up.

6 would be a disappointment for me, even with our current QBs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

Danny Hugh seems to think there hasn't been one in the portal better than what we have to this point.  Guess we "stuck" with RA

17 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

No problem after 1st 10 minutes maybe less of suicides I would drop dead and Golf wouldn't get paid.

Not my first radio numnuts pay is up front. 

3 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Danny Hugh seems to think there hasn't been one in the portal better than what we have to this point.  Guess we "stuck" with RA

Maybe so maybe no

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

This maybe so maybe no.......... numnuts

Numnuts, you should have clarified, in the beginning,  which sentence in my post you were quoting.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Numnuts, you should have clarified, in the beginning,  which sentence in my post you were quoting.

I'm old I don't have to clarify anything

• Haha 3

37 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Not my first radio numnuts pay is up front. 

Golf's first radio

Screenshot_20230428-082735~2.png

• Haha 2

All of Auburn’s QBs should look a little better not having to run for their life every time the ball is snapped.  Add a running attack that won’t get hit 4 yards behind the line of scrimmage and things might look a lot better offensively.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

I just feel bad he came here when he did. I think if he was at this point developmentally as a sophomore (or RS-Fr), rather than as a 4 year player, he’d have a real shot 

44 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Golf's first radio

Screenshot_20230428-082735~2.png

This made me cackle! Especially b/c it was the “rodeo” typo of “radio” 🤣

Edited by AUINSY
  • Haha 1