2023 Portal Discussion Thread

toddc

4 hours ago, ellitor said:

If that were the case we wouldn't have and be looking for a QB1 in the portal. If we don't get a QB in the portal Freeze will definitely manage with Robby the best he can but he is also not delusional about how bad Robby and the rest of our QBs are. If Robby is our QB1 next season we will be a heavy run O with fewer passes to limit Robby's mistakes due to inaccuracy & misreads.

I feel the same as you do. Freeze has stated multiple times that our RB and TE rooms are definitely the leaders of this offense and they're both at an SEC level. He also mentioned after the A-Day game that he feels we will have to rely on foundational football if we are going to compete in the SEC this season. He mentioned that while he was talking about our RB's and TE's. To me, that sounds like we will be kinda old school this season and rely on running the ball and throwing to our TE's. I don't think he trusts our current QB's and WR's enough to throw 25+ times per game. 

Also, Fifty put an article up yesterday where our true freshman QB Hank Brown was interviewed and Hank was talking about how talented our TE room is. I'm looking forward to seeing them this season.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Maybe so, maybe not. Look at Richardsons stats last yr. His TD to INT ratio was better than RA. Everything else was similar especially considering RA split time w TJ. By no means am I saying RA is a pro QB. But he has a similar skill set as Richardson. Richardson is getting drafted on POTENTIAL. Not his accomplishments.  RA has had terrible coaching to this point. IMO not wise to totally discount him yet.

Lol.

Try looking at the stats harder. Richardson was still CONSIDERABLY better than Ashford. So even that comparison is highly optimistic.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

U think Anthony Richardson is that much better than RA?

They're predicting Anthony Richardson to go #5 tonight in the draft. I feel the same as you. He is a dynamic athlete but he makes a ton of mistakes and turns the ball over way too much. 

From everything I've watched and read, these teams are all looking at what he is capable of being and not really what he has done. Whenever Todd McShay and Mel Kiper talk about him, its filled with "If he can ever put it all together, watch out. He has so much upside, blag blah blah." 

I will say, he killed it on all his combine stuff but I wouldn't waste a top pick on him from everything I've seen of him at Florida. He seemed to make the same mistakes, no matter if Dan Mullen or Billy Napier was the coach. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, metafour said:

Lol.

Try looking at the stats harder. Richardson was still CONSIDERABLY better than Ashford. So even that comparison is highly optimistic.

I looked at them with all four of my eyes.  His completion percentage was 52%. He did have a better Td vs Int ratio

3 minutes ago, TeamZero77 said:

They're predicting Anthony Richardson to go #5 tonight in the draft. I feel the same as you. He is a dynamic athlete but he makes a ton of mistakes and turns the ball over way too much. 

From everything I've watched and read, these teams are all looking at what he is capable of being and not really what he has done. Whenever Todd McShay and Mel Kiper talk about him, its filled with "If he can ever put it all together, watch out. He has so much upside, blag blah blah." 

I will say, he killed it on all his combine stuff but I wouldn't waste a top pick on him from everything I've seen of him at Florida. He seemed to make the same mistakes, no matter if Dan Mullen or Billy Napier was the coach. 

That's the exact point I was trying to make.  But as usual, it went right over some of the cats on this boards head. Point being Richardson is being drated on potential 

Edited by NWALA Tiger

6 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I looked at them with all four of my eyes.  His completion percentage was 52%. He did have a better Td vs Int ratio

Richardson: 71.2 QBR

Ashford: 50.3 QBR

Richardson: 131.0 Passer RTG

Ashford: 107 Passer RTG

Richardson: 3 fumbles

Ashford: 8 fumbles

Richardson: 6.3 YPC, 10 rushing TD's

Ashford: 4.6 YPC, 7 rushing TD's

So basically, "super raw" Anthony Richardson was considerably better as a passer, was a better rusher, and finally was considerably less turnover or mistake prone.

In other words, he was better at every single aspect of playing QB. So even your pie-in-the-sky comparison to someone who is a "great athlete but still raw" is again, absurdly optimistic because that player was CONSIDERABLY better than Ashford was. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Huge gamble by Saban here. Could lose the locker room over this. Don't think this cats upside was worth the gamble

I didn't watch Bama's A-Day game but their fanbase is supposedly freaking out over how bad they are at QB. This was before Buchner transferred in. Is their QB situation really that bad? If so, how in the crap does that happen? They won a Natty with freakin' Jake Coker as their starting QB. They dang near got to the Nat'l title game in 2008 with John Parker Wilson. If this Buchner kid is their potential starting QB this year, then WOW!!

10 minutes ago, metafour said:

Richardson: 71.2 QBR

Ashford: 50.3 QBR

Richardson: 131.0 Passer RTG

Ashford: 107 Passer RTG

Richardson: 3 fumbles

Ashford: 8 fumbles

Richardson: 6.3 YPC, 10 rushing TD's

Ashford: 4.6 YPC, 7 rushing TD's

So basically, "super raw" Anthony Richardson was considerably better as a passer, was a better rusher, and finally was considerably less turnover or mistake prone.

In other words, he was better at every single aspect of playing QB. So even your pie-in-the-sky comparison to someone who is a "great athlete but still raw" is again, absurdly optimistic because that player was CONSIDERABLY better than Ashford was. 

Once again, you failed to get my point. Richardson is being drafted on potential. His stats above aren't worthy of being a top 5 pick. If u think they are, name another QB drafted in the top 5 with similar stats. Richardson may turn out to be all pro. But his stats don't suggest that. His potential does

Edited by NWALA Tiger

1 hour ago, icanthearyou said:

DON'T do it.  The first hour and a half is "conditioning".  You run suicides while Golf drinks PBRs and yells,,, "pickup the pace numnuts".  

No problem after 1st 10 minutes maybe less of suicides I would drop dead and Golf wouldn't get paid.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

I know several of you did not want This guy so this should ease your minds.

• Love 1
  • Haha 5

6 hours ago, ellitor said:

Yup. Will be a 1st round, likely top 10, pick. Robby will not sniff at getting drafted when college is over, at least not as a QB.

Way too early to make this statement. I do think Richardson slips. But he will be drafted. However, go watch him at the beginning of last season. He was god awful. Eventually a light flipped on for him as the season progressed. Robbie has a decent sized arm, and excellent mobility. There’s potential. So far, we haven’t seen it come together. Doesn’t mean the light couldn’t come on at some point. Also, just to be clear, I’m not saying the light will come on either. Just way too early in his career to completely write him off. 

• Like 1

I know this is a "Mrs. Lincoln" statement, but the 2024 class going so well for them is the only way in which Napier's tenure doesn't mirror Potato Head's thus far (Richardson = Nix).

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1

I said this in an earlier thread and got a little heat but I’ll say it again with stats to back it up this time.  If Auburn ends up not landing a QB from the portal this is the formula to win with RA.  Not comparing RA to these 2 but run, run, run and pass just enough to keep the defense honest.  The Ole Gus approach.  The Oline might actually block well enough to let that happen.  I’ll point out the LSU Cam game and Tennessee Marshall game.  When they were asked to throw more than 20 times a game Marshall typically struggled too.

IMG_3982.jpeg

IMG_3981.jpeg

Edited by Win4AU
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Ok. I'll be the guinea pig and ask.. Anything to the rumor of Tua little brother transferring to AU. Seems like Locksley is concerned he is portal bound

Former AL player? Add it to the list of all the other rumors. There is not a single moderator on any Auburn site that says anything about this happening… so No. 

we are so desperate!!!
but if he does decide to enter

image.gif

4 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Former AL player? Add it to the list of all the other rumors. There is not a single moderator on any Auburn site that says anything about this happening… so No. 

we are so desperate!!!
but if he does decide to enter

image.gif

It's all over  On3

1 minute ago, NWALA Tiger said:

It's all over  On3

I have seen it. It’s been on the bunker and 247 for the last 24 hours. But only by fans wishing …

Just now, gr82b4au said:

I have seen it. It’s been on the bunker and 247 for the last 24 hours. But only by fans wishing …

It's on the Maryland 247 side. Their mod has acknowledged it

12 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

It's on the Maryland 247 side. Their mod has acknowledged it

They have acknowledged the rumor from Auburn fans. But the Maryland insiders seem to say that it is BS.

1 minute ago, gr82b4au said:

They have acknowledged the rumor from Auburn fans. But the Maryland insiders seem to say that it is BS.

Wonder who the next rumor will be

Holden was highly rated coming out of h.s., had virtually no opportunity to do anything to enforce or dispel that his r.s. year, and Freeze went out of his way to single him out as promising during spring practice. Yet some on this board are on suicide watch re our QB situation, even calling him part of a garbage QB room. With nothing to support that blather. The right veteran QB to ease Holden into battle would be ideal and he's Inexperienced, sure, but there's some bald rage on this board w/out any clue about what Geringer could or couldn't do as the season progresses. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

I have to hope that HG may be able to grow into the position with a lot of luck and hard work. Only time will tell.

Edited by au701948

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1