2023 Portal Discussion Thread

toddc

57 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

As expected 

Also visiting or talking with Auburn, Cal, and Stanford, according to some beat writer on the radio a ln hour or so ago. I'm just repeating what I heard, so don't get all pissy if it doesn't happen.....

Not directed at you personally gr82.

Edited by JuscAUse!
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, bigbird said:

Anyone can feel free to look for themselves.

55 pages and here is my only post in the entire game thread.

How expected and yet, pathetic.

the only time i ever see anyone get chased around like 24 does you bird is because i believe he is in love with you and wants you bad. he obviously does not know what he is talking about so i think he has feather in his eyes................but hell me and ol golf know you are a sexy beast we just do not swing that way.so i do not believe i am so far off. we all make fools out our selves over love. just be careful if he asks how big a boy you are because it might not be what you would think..............grins.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, bigbird said:

No thanks

He seems like a slightly more accurate RA. Still turns the ball over quite a bit. But at least he has played before.

1 hour ago, gr82b4au said:

He seems like a slightly more accurate RA. Still turns the ball over quite a bit. But at least he has played before.

I've just never been impressed and think we can do better.  In fact, I'd want HG before him.

Also, he's going to Bama to follow the OC

• Like 5

giphy.gif

I am thinking the staff are going to ride with RA, HG, or TJ. As good of a job as the staff has done at recruiting, they can't seem to get a QB. I don't personally accept the logic that they did get one in McCall but he couldn't get in because of grades. That is likely true but it still failed to materialize thus it is still a failure. Both on Auburn and on McCall's part. The need goes unmet. 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, AUDevil said:

That rule is causing a fair amount of talent to leave the Conference.  Do we want a less-talented conference?

That's a valid point

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chaotic_zx said:

giphy.gif

I am thinking the staff are going to ride with RA, HG, or TJ. As good of a job as the staff has done at recruiting, they can't seem to get a QB. I don't personally accept the logic that they did get one in McCall but he couldn't get in because of grades. That is likely true but it still failed to materialize thus it is still a failure. Both on Auburn and on McCall's part. The need goes unmet. 

I don’t think they offered a single one of these QBs because they have been all in McCall or else just go with what we have. I highly doubt they couldn’t get a Nolan who is solely a depth piece for TCU. It sucks but it is what it is.

2 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

Buchner threw 18 passes for 44 yards

How is that even possible? 2.4 ypc. He can fall forward that far. 

15 minutes ago, gr82be said:

The stat only gave his attempts, which was 18. It didn't mention how many of those 18 he completed. I thought it was strange because it gave Sam Hartman's attempts and completions, 13 for 16. I would like to know how many Buchner completed to only have 44 yards passing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, gr82be said:

I just searched and all I found was an article breaking down his day. He was 6 for 13 with 40 yards passing at halftime of A-Day. He threw 2 passes in a row that hit defenders right in the hands. One was dropped and the other was intercepted. It said he also took sacks in the backfield that he never should've taken. That's all I found. It said it was obvious that Sam Hartman should be QB1 for Notre Dame. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, TeamZero77 said:

I just searched and all I found was an article breaking down his day. He was 6 for 13 with 40 yards passing at halftime of A-Day. He threw 2 passes in a row that hit defenders right in the hands. One was dropped and the other was intercepted. It said he also took sacks in the backfield that he never should've taken. That's all I found. It said it was obvious that Sam Hartman should be QB1 for Notre Dame. 

Thanks for the clarification. I read it as completions but you clearly said he threw 18 so my bad. 

• Like 1

Why are we talking about whether Buchner is good enough to be here? He’s got an invite to visit Alabama, for Christs sake. Who tf are we to assume we are too high brow for a kid that Bama also wants? 

image.gif.f2d5def072b9dd29bcb4584bb8379062.gif

• Like 1

Auburn reportedly a team to watch for Notre Dame transfer QB

4 hours ago

Auburn is reportedly in the mix for Notre Dame transfer quarterback Tyler Buchner, according to 247Sports’ Tom Loy. Alabama was listed as another team to watch for the rising junior, who has three years of eligibility remaining.

The former 4-star recruit, per the 247Sports Composite rankings, appeared in 13 games over two seasons at Notre Dame.

Buchner, who entered the transfer portal on Tuesday, began the 2022 season as Notre Dame’s starting quarterback before missing 10 games due to injury, making his return in the Gator Bowl.

Over his 13 games, Buchner completed 67 of his 118 pass attempts, a rate of 56.8 percent. Buchner threw for 949 yards, passing for six touchdowns and eight interceptions. He rushed for 459 yards and seven touchdowns while with the Fighting Irish.

Following the A-Day game on April 8, Auburn head coach Hugh Freeze expressed his interest in potentially taking a quarterback from the portal.

“Do I think we can win some games with what we have? Yes. I do,” Freeze said. “But, you know, I don't want to ever be put in a box where I say something and I do the opposite. I don't know the answer. I don't know if we are. I know that I would be open to it."

Buchner entered the portal with a no-contact tag and has set an official visit to Alabama for this week, according to Loy.  Buchner’s former offensive coordinator, Tommy Rees, is now the offensive coordinator at Alabama.

Auburn currently has four scholarship quarterbacks on its roster: redshirt junior T.J. Finley, redshirt sophomore Robby Ashford, redshirt freshman Holden Geriner and freshman Hank Brown. The Tigers have a commitment from 247Sports four-star recruit Walker White for the 2024 class.

Players intending to transfer have until April 30 to enter their names into the transfer portal.

1 hour ago, DAG said:

I don’t think they offered a single one of these QBs because they have been all in McCall or else just go with what we have. I highly doubt they couldn’t get a Nolan who is solely a depth piece for TCU. It sucks but it is what it is.

Does taking Nolan take us out of the McCall sweepstakes? Chances of getting McCall are slim, and I would have loved to see us get a security blanket. Nolan would have been my pick. If he can be a depth piece for TCU he could have been one for us with the upside of starting if we don't get McCall.

22 minutes ago, toddc said:

Auburn reportedly a team to watch for Notre Dame transfer QB

4 hours ago

Auburn is reportedly in the mix for Notre Dame transfer quarterback Tyler Buchner, according to 247Sports’ Tom Loy. Alabama was listed as another team to watch for the rising junior, who has three years of eligibility remaining.

The former 4-star recruit, per the 247Sports Composite rankings, appeared in 13 games over two seasons at Notre Dame.

Buchner, who entered the transfer portal on Tuesday, began the 2022 season as Notre Dame’s starting quarterback before missing 10 games due to injury, making his return in the Gator Bowl.

Over his 13 games, Buchner completed 67 of his 118 pass attempts, a rate of 56.8 percent. Buchner threw for 949 yards, passing for six touchdowns and eight interceptions. He rushed for 459 yards and seven touchdowns while with the Fighting Irish.

Following the A-Day game on April 8, Auburn head coach Hugh Freeze expressed his interest in potentially taking a quarterback from the portal.

“Do I think we can win some games with what we have? Yes. I do,” Freeze said. “But, you know, I don't want to ever be put in a box where I say something and I do the opposite. I don't know the answer. I don't know if we are. I know that I would be open to it."

Buchner entered the portal with a no-contact tag and has set an official visit to Alabama for this week, according to Loy.  Buchner’s former offensive coordinator, Tommy Rees, is now the offensive coordinator at Alabama.

Auburn currently has four scholarship quarterbacks on its roster: redshirt junior T.J. Finley, redshirt sophomore Robby Ashford, redshirt freshman Holden Geriner and freshman Hank Brown. The Tigers have a commitment from 247Sports four-star recruit Walker White for the 2024 class.

Players intending to transfer have until April 30 to enter their names into the transfer portal.

Doesn't help that his former OC is at Bama but hope we show him what he can do here.

27 minutes ago, woodford said:

Doesn't help that his former OC is at Bama but hope we show him what he can do here.

If Hugh can beat Nick and Buchner’s old OC for him, we are in business with this man in charge. Go get him Beav!!!

45 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

Does taking Nolan take us out of the McCall sweepstakes? Chances of getting McCall are slim, and I would have loved to see us get a security blanket. Nolan would have been my pick. If he can be a depth piece for TCU he could have been one for us with the upside of starting if we don't get McCall.

I don’t think so but I don’t think the coaches think Nolan is any better than what we have (that’s my rationale).  But I agree . 

• Like 1

I don’t see the ND QB visit confirmed on any AU site yet. If he does indeed visit, would that put an end to the “HF has his QB behind the scenes” story? The McCall thing is just a pipe dream at this point. 
I mean we all want to believe… to have hope in a good proven QB on campus… but a visit by this QB would be unsettling? Right? 

Auburn offers James Madison edge transfer Isaac Ukwu

Cole Pinkston

HARRISONBURG, VA - DECEMBER 10: Quarterback Robbie Patterson #10 of the Montana Grizzlies runs away from defensive lineman Isaac Ukwu #0 of the James Madison Dukes during the game against the James Madison University Dukes in the quarterfinals of the FCS Playoffs at Bridgeforth Stadium on December 10, 2021 in Harrisonburg, Virginia. The University of Montana Grizzlies lost to the James Madison University Dukes 28-6. (Photo by Tommy Martino/University of Montana via Getty Images)

Auburn has extended another offer to a transfer portal player. Around one hour after his Twitter announcement to officially enter the transfer portal, Isaac Ukwu, an edge transfer from James Madison, tweeted an Auburn offer. 

The Tigers are in the market for a transfer edge. After Cincinnati linebacker transfer Jaheim Thomas told Auburn Live’s Jeffrey Lee he could play inside linebacker, Auburn is still on the hunt for help at the edge/Jack linebacker position. 

Ukwu is an experienced grad transfer with plenty of production and one year of eligibility remaining. 

Wherever Ukwu decides to continue his playing career, it will be his seventh collegiate football season. All six of his seasons took place at James Madison. He took a redshirt his freshman season in 2017 and battled injuries off and on.

Ukwu missed the entire 2019 and 2020 seasons with injuries. In 2021 and 2022 he was named an All-Conference performer. He totaled 83 tackles, 27 TFL, 16.5 sacks, 5 PD and 3 FF in the last 2 football seasons for the Dukes.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

17 hours ago, bigbird said:

Anyone can feel free to look for themselves.

55 pages and here is my only post in the entire game thread.

How expected and yet, pathetic.

Of course, more insults, shy on facts. I feel bad for you, but I guess that’s why you are, where you are in life. If you worked for me, (of course, I would never hire you) if say, one of my partners hired you, here would be some of your feedback.

Point 1. You seem to have a problem when you’re wrong and you have trouble admitting when you’re mistaken and feel you always have to be right.

Point 2. Please understand you’re not very intelligent, so you’re certainly going to be wrong sometimes.

Point 3. So when point 2 happens, you really need to work on Point 1.

Now back to point 2. At your age, I doubt you’re going to inherit any more wisdom or intelligence than you already have. So for your own sake and for the sake of others working around and with you, I would recommend you work on Point 1.

Now it is your turn… Questions for me?

• Haha 2
  • Facepalm 2
  • Dislike 9

4 hours ago, AU-24 said:

Of course, more insults, shy on facts. I feel bad for you, but I guess that’s why you are, where you are in life. If you worked for me, (of course, I would never hire you) if say, one of my partners hired you, here would be some of your feedback.

Point 1. You seem to have a problem when you’re wrong and you have trouble admitting when you’re mistaken and feel you always have to be right.

Point 2. Please understand you’re not very intelligent, so you’re certainly going to be wrong sometimes.

Point 3. So when point 2 happens, you really need to work on Point 1.

Now back to point 2. At your age, I doubt you’re going to inherit any more wisdom or intelligence than you already have. So for your own sake and for the sake of others working around and with you, I would recommend you work on Point 1.

Now it is your turn… Questions for me?

That's just really, really sad.   

I can actually hear your foot stomping and crying. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4