2023 Portal Discussion Thread

toddc

1 minute ago, metafour said:

Jelen Milroe can't help us. Any SEC transfer right now is ineligible to play this upcoming season.

Ahh damn I forgot about that stupid a** rule. Freaking SEC. 

21 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

They aren't exactly beating down the door to get here, it doesn't appear. When did Nick Marshall show up? Was it in August?

Mid June.

• Like 1

How does college eligibility work? Can a player who has been drafted and played in the pros still return to college if he has a year of eligibility left? Because if so, I might know a guy. But its going to take the Yella Fella forking over some serious money.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

Mid June.

Just don't seem to be happening this year. However,  I do find it odd that Danny Hugh doesn't really seen to be interested in any portal QB right now. Maybe he knows something 

3 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I do find it odd that Danny Hugh doesn't really seen to be interested in any portal QB right now. Maybe he knows something 

See my last post right before yours....:devil:

Cam-newton-im-back GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Stats looking very shaky but that is expected and comparable to what is left in the portal, unfortunately.

19 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

How does college eligibility work? Can a player who has been drafted and played in the pros still return to college if he has a year of eligibility left? Because if so, I might know a guy. But its going to take the Yella Fella forking over some serious money.

You have a 5 year clock that starts the day you first enroll.  And no, you can’t go play pro ball and then come back and play college (although I don’t know why not since these guys are now pros who are getting paid).

Edited by AUDevil
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Stats looking very shaky but that is expected and comparable to what is left in the portal, unfortunately.

I'd take him all day errday. He at least gives us a fighting chance at hope. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

You have a 5 year clock that starts the day you first enroll.  And no, you can’t go play pro ball and then come back and play college (although I don’t know why not since these guys are now pros who are getting paid).

Good lord, could you imagine the pure snort of high quality booger sugar that would give to the Auburn community as a whole. It would put us back in the promised land, instantly. I'd cry! I would cry like a 6 year old school girl who found her puppy. 

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, metafour said:

Jelen Milroe can't help us. Any SEC transfer right now is ineligible to play this upcoming season.

...unless they graduate, correct?

1 hour ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I hear the Bammers are bi*ching about their QB situation. I think they are right. I think Saban needs to process Jalen Milroe asap. And Hugh Freeze needs to be at his dorm room like..

Come Here You GIFs | Tenor

They will probably end up with the Notre Dame quarterback.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

They will probably end up with the Notre Dame quarterback.

Imagine having a roster of 4 and 5 star QB's and having to pluck your next starter from Notre Dame's hand me downs. Jeez, I'm glad Auburn has such elite talent evaluation and roster management. 😏

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Imagine having a roster of 4 and 5 star QB's and having to pluck your next starter from Notre Dame's hand me downs. Jeez, I'm glad Auburn has such elite talent evaluation and roster management. 😏

Well, shockingly at this point, the Alabama quarterback roster is struggling. For the first time in many years, they do not have a proven starter.

This quarterback played for their new o coordinator at ND and I am sure that they would probably take him at this time because they need help. 

I don’t think he is all that great, but I think he is better than anything we have.  He is definitely the most proven guy that has hit the portal for sure.

Edited by gr82b4au
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I think the guy you’re thinking about would do it for free at this point 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, AUINSY said:

...unless they graduate, correct?

No, I don't believe that helps them either. I'm pretty sure that was the case with the WR from Texas A&M (Caleb Chapman) which ultimately forced him to transfer out of conference.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Never heard of this cat. Is he any better than what they currently have?

I’m sure he is. But I doubt anyone besides Alabama gets him, b/c Alabama’s current OC was ND’s OC last season that coached him before jumping ship to Alabama this offseason. 

7 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Never heard of this cat. Is he any better than what they currently have?

Well, he is obviously better than TJ, and HG has never started a game and only played three plays. So… We have to ask ourselves, is he better than Robby Ashford? I don’t know. But I do know this: 
Robby threw seven touchdowns and seven interceptions with 9 fumbles? He was the lowest ranked quarterback in the SEC to finish the season, in both QBR and Most other quarterback statistics. He struggled this spring with accuracy and a sore shoulder. 

So I would think that we want someone (anyone at this point) with real playing time besides RA. 

Something tells me a portal QB will visit AU this weekend. That will remove some of the heat I think. Unfortunately the ones we want do not want us and the ones that want us are not going to get an offer, at least not right now. If he holds out long enough, maybe we offer if that perfect fit does not come along.

4 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Ahh damn I forgot about that stupid a** rule. Freaking SEC. 

That rule is causing a fair amount of talent to leave the Conference.  Do we want a less-talented conference?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, autan said:

Something tells me a portal QB will visit AU this weekend. That will remove some of the heat I think. Unfortunately the ones we want do not want us and the ones that want us are not going to get an offer, at least not right now. If he holds out long enough, maybe we offer if that perfect fit does not come along.

There is only one perfect McFit.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TeamZero77 said:

With Tommy Rees being Buchner's OC at Notre Dame and then Bama hiring Rees as their OC, well we know how this story will end.

I read a bit ago TCU and Stanford were also very interested in Buchner. 

He had a shoulder injury, if I recall correctly. I watched him in the Gator Bowl a few months ago and that was a South Carolina team that was fresh off of wins against Tennessee and Clemson. Buchner looked good in that bowl game and Notre Dame won. He was the starter in that game and was in on 5 touchdowns for ND. 

So was he Notre Dame's starter until the injury and then came back to start the Bowl game? I know the QB battle was between him and Hartman and Buchner lost out this spring. 

He is still better than what we have in our current QB room but the Bammer's will get him. 😡

Yep. UAT will get him even if Buchner ends up third string.  Rees and Saba just don't want us to get him. I guess it's worth a schollie to stick it to CHF. We would probably take any of the three in a heartbeat. Sad.

55 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

As expected 

I just read some stuff on a Notre Dame board. He has 3 years of eligibility left. He was the starter for 2022 and went down with a shoulder injury in game 2. He came back and started the Gator Bowl a few months ago against South Carolina. USCe had just beaten Tennessee and Clemson and were hot. He had 5 total TD's against South Carolina and beat them.

He only appeared in 3 games for 2022 and had 55% completion %, 651 passing yards, 3 TD, 5 int's. and 4 TD's rushing.

In the spring game, it was between him and Hartman to win the starting QB spot. Hartman went 13-16 189 yds and 2 TD'S. Buchner threw 18 passes for 44 yards, 0 TD's and 1 int. 

He will go to Alabama because of Tommy Rees being his OC. He has said he may also return to Notre Dame. 

The Notre Dame fans all sound happy he is leaving. They say he stares down his receivers and is very quick to pull it and run, resulting in injuries. (We have seen this before) He also looks at his first option and that's it, never goes through his progressions. 

Also, TCU and Stanford need a QB and may be interested but Buchner has some kinda no contact deal entering the portal. So I take it that no team can contact him and he will contact the team? It's pretty much a given that he will follow Tommy Rees to Alabama or just stay put at Notre Dame.

Edited by TeamZero77
  • Like 2