2023 Portal Discussion Thread

toddc

Portal QB recruiting is always entertaining at AU. 

Caleb Williams is coming, just wait. 

Word on the street is BV is leaving UGA and going to join AU, just wait

McCall is going to graduate and be our QB, just wait

Bo Nix is going to transfer back to AU, just wait (haha come on)

Wow I feel sorry for us, we are so freaking desperate… these rumors are just sad. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Portal QB recruiting is always entertaining at AU. 

Caleb Williams is coming, just wait. 

Word on the street is BV is leaving UGA and going to join AU, just wait

McCall is going to graduate and be our QB, just wait

Bo Nix is going to transfer back to AU, just wait (haha come on)

Wow I feel sorry for us, we are so freaking desperate… these rumors are just sad. 

Why would Bo Nix come here? First I ever heard of it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

Fwiw, there were talks ...

Ohhh see Big Bird, that is so vague though. 

US: "Hey bo, you open to returning?

Bo: Nope

Us: Okay 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

Ohhh see Big Bird, that is so vague though. 

Bo: Nope

Us: Okay 

Okay...the talks were more than just cursory

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Okay...the talks were more than just cursory

more than just cursory.....i.e... filled with curse words..

Bo: Are you ****ing crazy? Do you think I'm  ****ing crazy.  ***k no.

Us: Well, okay, I'm hearing that's a maybe then.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Hey Bo, you want to come back? 

BO: I like you HF but Who would I throw it to? 

*Crickets*

BO: Plus I like these Pac -whatever defenses. Good luck! Not your fault you are SOL due to the last coach. Hope you find a good QB. 

Edited by gr82b4au
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

With that many players transferring out, are we sure Bryan Harsin isn't the HC at Colorado? 

Yes. We can be sure because an actual attempt to recruit is happening there. 😅

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

9 hours ago, AUINSY said:

Probably b/c he used to play here and people want a Cinderella story. Based on a little bit of the shade he’s thrown our way in the last few weeks (saying he’s having fun, running with the “dark horse for Heisman” meme, appreciating his current fan base that supports him), I wouldn’t count on him even giving us a look. I also don’t/wouldn’t blame him, he’s living his best life over in Eugene with soft defenses and above average/good-but-not-great teammates to showcase his abilities. 

His teammates are Cristobal's two phenomenal hauls. Bo's current coaching is what's avg.

On 4/23/2023 at 8:04 PM, bigbird said:

Let me try to type slowly for you, in order for you to comprehend.

Gus is a great person, Gus was a great ambassador, and Gus ran a clean program. I wholeheartedly thank him for those things.

I do hate Gus for his complete collapse after 2013, his inability to adjust, and his ego/stubbornness to evolve. He made our program look inept and neutered. Everything from roster management, player development, and game planning went to complete garbage after 2014 and we had to suffer another 6 years and a mind-blowingly stupid contract (THAT HURT AU). He marginalized Auburn football.  His accomplishments in 8 years at AU, especially after 2013, is not the end all be all y'all think it is.

However, what the most telling thing is that when I backed them, it was because I wanted Auburn to be successful.  I've supported everyone until they've shown their capabilities. Once I had the requisite and prudent data, I withdrew my support and admitted repeatedly and openly that I was wrong to have supported as long as I had.   I wanted what was best for Auburn, Sorry.

How about you two? 

I support Auburn and want nothing but it's success.  You two took every chance to tear down each one of those hires from the moment of their announcement. 

Y'all supported Gus, not Auburn. Then y'all tried to tear down everyone that was involved in or supported the decision to fire his failed regime.

Y'all NEVER gave Green or Harsin any support, EVER.  

I withdrew my support once they proved themselves as failures.

The Mice can't handle the fact that Gus was a failure...just like Green, Harsin, JJ, and Leath. What even more difficult, well so far impossible, is that neither of y'all can't even admit that Gus left the program in a complete state of disarray that was going to easily take 3-4 years to overcome. Unfortunately, hiring Harsin set us even further back, but he wasn't the man that began the death spiral of mediocrity and apathy.

You want facts...

Your support for Auburn is as transparent as your obsession with defending y'all's daddy. 

And when the personal insults commence… it’s because you’ve lost the debate.

The comical thing about you, is your worst fear in life is being wrong. And you’re continually, repeatedly wrong so much on here, that you have to make things up and live in a world of make-believe to justify your mistakes.

1. You totally supported the Allen Greene  hire. Despite others and myself, trying to tell you otherwise, (from the get-go) you simply wouldn’t listen. Then you couldn’t handle it when proven wrong. I mean you literally can’t handle it. Your words: “Oh, oh, oh, I supported Greene until I found out he wasn’t showing up for work“. Lol 😂 when he was replaced by the General, that didn’t do it for you, but not showing up for work, that was when he lost your support? Again, just, lol! 😂

2. You totally supported the hire of Bryan Harsin. Again, when a few others and myself tried to tell you, it’s never gonna work out, you refused to listen. Then, once again, out of your embarrassment, you have to make up things so you don’t look so bad. The funniest was listening to you on last year‘s LSU game day thread, when you were honestly still on the Harsin band-wagon. I mean we were midway in the third quarter, and you still thought Harsin was going to suddenly out-coach Brian Kelly at any minute. For a horrible game, it was certainly entertaining to read what you had to say.

3. Then after the obvious firing of Harsin comes the search for a new head coach. And who was your guy? Certainly not Hugh Freeze, not Lane Kiffin, not Marc Stoops but Jeff Grimes. I mean Jeff Grimes was your number one choice. How did that work out for you? Wrong again. So who did pick-up Jeff Grimes as head coach? Oh wait, nobody, he’s just the Offensive Coordinator at Baylor, never mind. I’ll bet Auburn offered him, but he decided to stay at Baylor??

Maybe try to open up the mind, admit when you’re wrong, and then press on, and you’ll be a little happier with your life.  Look how happy Gus is when he says he still loves Auburn and he hopes Freeze does well here. Two of Malzone's best friends in the world are Hugh Freeze, and Bruce Pearl. I would think that is better than being a grumpy, nasty, insulting old man. You certainly won’t see or hear that from Gus.

• Facepalm 1

7 hours ago, bigbird said:

FTR, we never spoke to Bo

Well we are on good terms with Patrick again supposedly. I think I read that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Well we are on good terms with Patrick again supposedly. I think I read that.

Pat loves Auburn. It was probably easy to pull Pat back when they got rid of Harkins.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, AU-24 said:

Maybe try to open up the mind, admit when you’re wrong

I guess I didn't type slow enough.  I'm not surprised.

Your first two points, as well laid out as it is, proves everything I posted correct.  I supported Auburn every chance we were given and you haven't.

Thank you for your admission and corroboration, although we all knew it already.

As for your 3rd point... 

4 hours ago, AU-24 said:

And who was your guy? Certainly not Hugh Freeze, not Lane Kiffin, not Marc Stoops but Jeff Grimes

Oops ...

On 11/26/2022 at 10:22 AM, bigbird said:

I'm still concerned about Sankey. That situation hasn't really changed. 

He's always been a perfect fit and great football coach 

On 11/12/2022 at 1:15 PM, bigbird said:

Lanning, Freeze, and Grimes all check the "fit" box.  You're right in that HF probably fits the best.  

I don't worry about the off field stuff, I worry about Sankey with Freeze.

On 11/25/2022 at 10:36 PM, bigbird said:

My only reservations with freeze have ever been with Sankey.  If he's clear of that, he'll be a HR.  

He checks a whole lot of boxes.

On 11/26/2022 at 12:19 PM, bigbird said:

I've always said he was a great coach and a great fit. However, I also was adamant about Freeze not being viable due to Sankey and what he's said privately. Sankey was and has always been my issue with Freeze. To deny his abilities was always foolish.

As far as Grimes, yes I supported and wanted him... because at the time CHF wasn't viable.

He would've been a phenomenal hire and fit the Auburn culture equally as well.

He was out of contention as soon as Hartwell was. I stopped championing him very early in the search.  

You speak about revisionist history, maybe you should double check what that actually means.  Half-truths are whole lies.

4 hours ago, AU-24 said:

Maybe try to open up the mind, admit when you’re wrong,

I'm just at a complete loss at this one.  You're an idiot if you think I haven't and well...you obviously think that.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I'm all for college athletes being able to monetize their name, image, and likeness, but this all just seems gross and disingenuous at this point. "Hey they will offer you a deal worth $25k a month" Oh yea well we will offer you that and buy your mother a house". Like, wtf is this. There needs to be some kind of governing body that is keeping track of this stuff and regulating it. It's turned into complete chaos. I get that it was happening behind the scenes for years, but some of these deals just seem like behind the scenes types of deals that are now open and legal, and its all very disorganized and weird.

Most people who gave it much thought saw this coming. Couple the transfer portal with the NIL ruling and the only possible result was complete chaos.

Some ruling body needs to put some reasonable rules and restraints in place but I don't know who that might be.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Mikey said:

Most people who gave it much thought saw this coming. Couple the transfer portal with the NIL ruling and the only possible result was complete chaos.

Some ruling body needs to put some reasonable rules and restraints in place but I don't know who that might be.

The NCAA abdicated their role in the process when they opened the NIL Door (It needed to be opened) without actually defining what what would be allowed. Then initially some states tried to set standards which hurt schools in those states as others had no restrictions. Now people are looking to US congress which has no business getting involved in this.  The one place it has worked is women's gymnastics as we were able to get Olympic athletes on US college teams but they already had  deals in place because of their ties to the Olympics.

Edited by AuburnNTexas
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Portal window closes a little more each day. Looking more and more like Robby/ Gernier..

@NWALA Tiger Not necessarily. Grad transfers can enter the portal at any time.

• Like 2

I hear the Bammers are bi*ching about their QB situation. I think they are right. I think Saban needs to process Jalen Milroe asap. And Hugh Freeze needs to be at his dorm room like..

Come Here You GIFs | Tenor

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

49 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@NWALA Tiger Not necessarily. Grad transfers can enter the portal at any time.

They aren't exactly beating down the door to get here, it doesn't appear. When did Nick Marshall show up? Was it in August?

Edited by NWALA Tiger

48 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I hear the Bammers are bi*ching about their QB situation. I think they are right. I think Saban needs to process Jalen Milroe asap. And Hugh Freeze needs to be at his dorm room like..

Come Here You GIFs | Tenor

Jelen Milroe can't help us. Any SEC transfer right now is ineligible to play this upcoming season.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, AU-24 said:

The funniest was listening to you on last year‘s LSU game day thread, when you were honestly still on the Harsin band-wagon. I mean we were midway in the third quarter, and you still thought Harsin was going to suddenly out-coach Brian Kelly at any minute. For a horrible game, it was certainly entertaining to read what you had to say.

Anyone can feel free to look for themselves.

55 pages and here is my only post in the entire game thread.

On 10/1/2022 at 9:18 PM, bigbird said:

Not sure if y'all have heard, but earlier tonight I learned that Harsin played an integral part in the Kennedy assassination. 

As always, situation is fluid. 

How expected and yet, pathetic.

• Haha 3