2023 Portal Discussion Thread

toddc

54 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

No! Purely accident.  He's been ragged about it constantly. 

Titus O’Neal is a Florida Gator btw. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@LPTiger It was the Royal Rumble & Titus O'neil was not a comedy character at that point so Nope.

He should have played it off by coming out the other side behind everyone else. 

• Haha 1

Not good! Need to get him on campus.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, toddc said:

Good Lord. I don't care if SMU is home or not. If we can't entice a guy to come start for an SEC team being coached by Hugh Freeze over a CUSA team being coaching by Rhett Lashlee, then we have a lot more work to do than I ever imagined.

Edited by AuCivilEng1
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Good Lord. I don't care if SMU is home or not. If we can't entice a guy to come start for an SEC team being coached by Hugh Freeze over a CUSA to being coaching by Rhett Lashlee, then we have a lot more work to do than I ever imagined.

@AuCivilEng1 Put yourself in any good WR shoes. Would you come here given our current crappy QBs even if there was a legendary QB whisperer here like Bill Walsh to coach them up? I wouldn't. CHF will have to bring in a good QB before I would come to AU.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, toddc said:

16 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Good Lord. I don't care if SMU is home or not. If we can't entice a guy to come start for an SEC team being coached by Hugh Freeze over a CUSA to being coaching by Rhett Lashlee, then we have a lot more work to do than I ever imagined.

All we need to do is show him how awful QBs and receivers did with Auburn's past offenses as reason not to buy into the guys now (Lashlee) that led Auburn's past offenses then

Edited by AUINSY
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@AuCivilEng1 Put yourself in any good WR shoes. Would you come here given our current crappy QBs even if there was a legendary QB whisperer here like Bill Walsh to coach them up? I wouldn't. CHF will have to bring in a good QB before I would come to AU.

I agree. I'm just verbalizing the frustration of this whole situation. From an optics standpoint, its hard to look at the On3 predictions and see SMU at 97% and Auburn at 3%. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, toddc said:

He’s coming on an official next weekend per On3. 

I think some think SMU is the obvious choice because he was committed there and flipped to TCU, but he also was following a coach it seems from SMU to TCU….that coach has now left TCU and went to ASU.  

Edited by AEAugirl
  • Thanks 2

Jhead is insinuating that SMU is offering Hudson's mom a house and him $25k a month. Lol what is happening?!

Top 30 I Give Up GIFs | Find the best GIF on Gfycat

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Jhead is insinuating that SMU is offering Hudson's mom a house and him $25k a month. Lol what is happening?!

Top 30 I Give Up GIFs | Find the best GIF on Gfycat

That should be chump change for the auburn brass [yellow font]. People forget it is no longer about the name of the school but also what can we offer .

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

That should be chump change for the auburn brass [yellow font]. People forget it is no longer about the name of the school but also what can we offer .

I'm all for college athletes being able to monetize their name, image, and likeness, but this all just seems gross and disingenuous at this point. "Hey they will offer you a deal worth $25k a month" Oh yea well we will offer you that and buy your mother a house". Like, wtf is this. There needs to be some kind of governing body that is keeping track of this stuff and regulating it. It's turned into complete chaos. I get that it was happening behind the scenes for years, but some of these deals just seem like behind the scenes types of deals that are now open and legal, and its all very disorganized and weird.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

Which absolutely sux! If I was Jimmy Rane I’d tell Auburn to go pound sand if they came asking for more of my money

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, jluvah said:

Which absolutely sux! If I was Jimmy Rane I’d tell Auburn to go pound sand if they came asking for more of my money

Fastest shrinking fan base in the country = Fastest shrinking NIL wallet in the country. Auburn is in desperate need of a few good seasons, big games, and positive press. And drop the Underarmour sh*t. It's time to start catering to the next generation of fans/ donors. I hear Dylan Mulvaney does ads now. I say we hire her to be our next spokesperson..

Sneak Out GIFs | Tenor

Edited by AuCivilEng1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Fastest shrinking fan base in the country = Fastest shrinking NIL wallet in the country. Auburn is in desperate need of a few good seasons, big games, and positive press. And drop the Underarmour sh*t. It's time to start catering to the next generation of fans/ donors. I hear Dylan Mulvaney does ads now. 

No faster way to tank a brand! 🤣

8 minutes ago, jluvah said:

It’s an ugly truth unfortunately. That’s why I am never surprised anymore when recruits go to places we might look down on. Schools will tamper and do whatever they need to get players. We will have to play the game or get left behind.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Good Lord. I don't care if SMU is home or not. If we can't entice a guy to come start for an SEC team being coached by Hugh Freeze over a CUSA team being coaching by Rhett Lashlee, then we have a lot more work to do than I ever imagined.

I agree. Also, why would he leave TCU for SMU? Wasn't he TCU's leading WR last season? This doesn't make sense.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I'm all for college athletes being able to monetize their name, image, and likeness, but this all just seems gross and disingenuous at this point. "Hey they will offer you a deal worth $25k a month" Oh yea well we will offer you that and buy your mother a house". Like, wtf is this. There needs to be some kind of governing body that is keeping track of this stuff and regulating it. It's turned into complete chaos. I get that it was happening behind the scenes for years, but some of these deals just seem like behind the scenes types of deals that are now open and legal, and its all very disorganized and weird.

It's the wild west and will just keep getting worse. I'm all for players making money through NIL but there needs to be guardrails around it. Alot of coaches predicted exactly what's happening now. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TeamZero77 said:

It's the wild west and will just keep getting worse. I'm all for players making money through NIL but there needs to be guardrails around it. Alot of coaches predicted exactly what's happening now. 

I think the moment I realized the extent of this insanity is when I found out that Sheduer Sanders has the 6th highest NIL value and is higher than Suni Lee. Basically, Colorado used NIL as a perk to get Prime in the coaching position, by overpaying the sh*t out of his kid. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I think the moment I realized the extent of this insanity is when I found out that Sheduer Sanders has the 6th highest NIL value and is higher than Suni Lee. Basically, Colorado used NIL as a perk to get Prime in the coaching position, by overpaying the sh*t out of his kid. 

Colorado is not paying him per se, he has some solid deals with Tom Brady, Beats by Dre, and a few other companies to market and promote their products as a student athlete. Also some of his deals were in place prior to him transferring to Colorado. 

1 hour ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

There are a lot of big-money guys in Dallas which is why SMU is able to make this play. He was actually committed to SMU at one point while in HS. This is a big deal player for them and it seems like they're serious about bringing him home.

Just now, PoetTiger said:

Colorado is not paying him per se, he has some solid deals with Tom Brady, Beats by Dre, and a few other companies to market and promote their products as a student athlete. Also some of his deals were in place prior to him transferring to Colorado. 

That's fair I guess. I guess I expect the market to kind of dictate itself a little better on this front, but so far it's been utter confusion. I just don't see how  there is a reality where Sanders as his own man, will ever produce the value worth what his NIL deal dictates. But I guess you could say the same for most of these athletes. 

20 minutes ago, TeamZero77 said:

I agree. Also, why would he leave TCU for SMU? Wasn't he TCU's leading WR last season? This doesn't make sense.

He was a True Freshman with 14 receptions for TCU. Most certainly not their leading receiver.

I am sure SMU is putting up a lotta moolah in an NIL deal to get him but I seriously doubt that they are buying his mother a house. Maybe helping her to sign a mortgage predicated on her income and income son would get from NIL deal. Not everything people say about NIL promises are 100% true.