2023 Portal Discussion Thread

toddc

1 hour ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I sure as hell hope not. That would be a major red flag.

If I have to be on the lawnmower today then by golly he can also ;-.   In all seriousness I'm sure he's getting things done. 

30 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Dear sweet baby Jesus I never want to hear this excuse again. We can't be depending on a big first season (we are currently 7th in On3's average rating for the 2024 class, though).

Does the staff just not see anyone they like?

Did I say we should be depended on a big first season? I am saying commits probably don’t want to align with us until they see the product on the field and I don’t damn blame them. Would you commit to an unknown product? And think about that before you respond 

11 hours ago, Mikey said:

You Hard for Harsin believers don't even realize how disingenuous you are, do you? Your boy Harsin can't manage a team and lets 20 guys jump ship between seasons one and two. Now you try to rewrite history and blame Gus for roster numbers being low. Admit your failures! Facing the truth will set you free.

I am one of many that were initially fooled by Harsin.  I liked Gus and still do like him as a very good man but he had reached his pinnacle as a coach and was slowly going downhill so we needed a change.  Harsin cane from Boise that had found a way to compete with schools with much better situations based on location and resources and he had a pretty good record. Then he came in and said all the right things. One of his first steps which I approved of was in increasing the number of Off Field recruiters which was long over due. This gave me the feeling that he recognized how important recruiting was. After taking over a very weak 1st class in a short period of time he improved the class which again made me feel that this guy was going to be a recruiting Dynamo (How Wrong Could I have Been).

He understood the importance of recruiting hence beefing up the recruiting staff what I did not know is that he either was not capable of recruiting himself or just didn't want to do it.  Then I started to read stories that he never went out and met with Alabama and Georgia HS coaches which is the life blood of recruiting.   

As for the 20 players who left that did not bother me that much as that often happens when a new coach comes in especially now with the new Portal rules that make it easy for a player to come in. Most of those 20 players who left have not made a major impact at the schools they went to.

I and almost every other if not every other person who originally supported Harsin changed our minds on him and we were happy to see him go and only thing I am unhappy about is he got to keep his buyout as I believe he sabotaged Auburn in his last year. He is a scumbag and I am glad he is gone.

The difference between you and the people who originally liked Harsinis we admitted we were wrong when the facts demonstrated that. I was also on the Gus Bus at the beginning and it took me a long time to get off the Bus.  There were a couple reasons it took me a long time to get off the Gus Bus.

One all the good things he initially brought to Auburn (National Championship as an assistant coach runner up as a head coach and beating Georgia and Alabama). Two Gus was is and always will be a really good man who loved Auburn and loved his players the problem was between rule changes, defenses catching up with his offense and weak recruiting of some positions like O-Line we had become mediocre and it was time for him to go.

I am not ashamed to admit I originally thought Harsin was going to be a good coach just as I am not ashamed to admit I was wrong and I am glad he is gone.

Edited by AuburnNTexas
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

I've admitted to supporting Harsin for way too long.  I've admitted he was the worst coach in  Auburn history, I've admitted his failure in recruiting and addressing the deficient OL numbers helped expedite his failing, I think he purposely sabotaged the program, I think he had racial bias, I've admitted and said all of that.

Your admissions are admirable but,,, the people demand a human averian sacrifice.

BB gun or, cat?  Choose.

• Haha 3

Look 👀 we have portal news!!!

Edited by toddc
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 4

2 hours ago, DAG said:

Yeah I am starting to think players are very close to committing but they can’t until they see the product on the field . In terms of right now players , I am really perplexed as to why guys from the portal wouldn’t be jumping at the opportunity to start right now here. 

As for the QB, I am assuming they think McCall will be here in September (junk) but I still don’t get how we do not have at least a depth QB yet. TJ will be gone imo.

No offense meant in any way, but someone will still have to give me a logical explanation why a backup QB leaves a team to go in the portal and become.......................

a backup QB. It makes no sense to me, but I'm not the brightest light on the Christmas tree, either.

9 minutes ago, JuscAUse! said:

No offense meant in any way, but someone will still have to give me a logical explanation why a backup QB leaves a team to go in the portal and become.......................

a backup QB. It makes no sense to me, but I'm not the brightest light on the Christmas tree, either.

Okay so I will try very slowly. You give them a green light to come in and compete to start but if McCall comes in and competes and start then thus QB will be a depth QB. 

versus doing nothing , letting TJ leave and hoping McCall comes in by September . None of the portal guys right now are honestly super quality but they are better then what we have. With that being said , if McCall comes in September, none of this QBs coming in via the portal will beat him out. 

8 minutes ago, DAG said:

Okay so I will try very slowly. You give them a green light to come in and compete to start but if McCall comes in and competes and start then thus QB will be a depth QB. 

versus doing nothing , letting TJ leave and hoping McCall comes in by September . None of the portal guys right now are honestly super quality but they are better then what we have. With that being said , if McCall comes in September, none of this QBs coming in via the portal will beat him out. 

Now answer me why the portal QBs would come to AU when they are not guaranteed to start? Hell, they're already backups at their respective schools. Say it slower for me, please , as that is the point I don't understand. 

36 minutes ago, JuscAUse! said:

Now answer me why the portal QBs would come to AU when they are not guaranteed to start? Hell, they're already backups at their respective schools. Say it slower for me, please , as that is the point I don't understand. 

Because their asses are sitting in the portal for a reason , no? There are literally only select few portal individuals who are pretty much pencil in to start . Guess what ? Those guys got snatched up the first time. These guys are competitors , they aren’t idiots.  People who think they are guaranteed a spot at this stage are the TJ Finleys of the world who are literally pissy because we bought in competition . There is a reason why McCall was trending to Auburn before he even put his name in the portal. There is a reason why Sam Hartford was already trendy to ND before his last game was even played.  Those dudes are bonafide starters. Guys sitting in the portal for months are not.  You tell those guys, come in and compete and you have a great chance of starting, if they don't accept I guess they will be sitting in the portal until incarnate word comes calling. 

Edited by DAG

1 hour ago, icanthearyou said:

Your admissions are admirable but,,, the people demand a human averian sacrifice.

BB gun or, cat?  Choose.

I've always preferred a cat

6 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

And we are waiting for a QB. 

#HotTake

We aren't going to get a good QB in the portal.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

#HotTake

We aren't going to get a good QB in the portal.

Not an hot take. Realistic take. I am convinced this staff is waiting for mccall 

3 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

If their plan at QB is to plug in a guy in September, we may be in for a long season. 

One thing interesting about McCall....wouldn't he need to put his name into the portal by 4/30? He can't wait and make a decision in August if he does graduate 

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Not an hot take. Realistic take. I am convinced this staff is waiting for mccall 

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

One thing interesting about McCall....wouldn't he need to put his name into the portal by 4/30? He can't wait and make a decision in August if he does graduate 

I'm not really sure they can wait since there is now a 4/30 deadline.

It's also not rocket science. Can he take enough classes in spring and Summer to meet his schools grad requirement. It is a fixed number and extremely prescriptive. 

3 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

If their plan at QB is to plug in a guy in September, we may be in for a long season. 

Would indicate that (1) We really are/were that bad off and (2) CHF knows it and is under no delusions. Last two guys were clueless about it. Gus spent 8 seasons still trying to build a team identity in week 3. Maybe a stud quarterback really would be better than a guy that fall-camped with the team. @DAG may have a point too- the next wave of recruits may have to be after the team and staff have demonstrated an uptick in success, money-talk notwithstanding.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

It's also not rocket science. Can he take enough classes in spring and Summer to meet his schools grad requirement. It is a fixed number and extremely prescriptive. 

I am confused too, about it all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DAG said:

I am confused too, about it all.

Maybe Ashford or HG will develop in the next 4 months. 

I guess we'll do this all again in December.  I'm not sure Brock Vandergriff should really be on that list. Guy seems kinda meh.

3 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Maybe Ashford or HG will develop in the next 4 months. 

I guess we'll do this all again in December.  I'm not sure Brock Vandergriff should really be on that list. Guy seems kinda meh.

I mean we’re kinda meh as a football program, atm. He’d fit right in.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, DAG said:

Because their asses are sitting in the portal for a reason , no? There are literally only select few portal individuals who are pretty much pencil in to start . Guess what ? Those guys got snatched up the first time. These guys are competitors , they aren’t idiots.  People who think they are guaranteed a spot at this stage are the TJ Finleys of the world who are literally pissy because we bought in competition . There is a reason why McCall was trending to Auburn before he even put his name in the portal. There is a reason why Sam Hartford was already trendy to ND before his last game was even played.  Those dudes are bonafide starters. Guys sitting in the portal for months are not.  You tell those guys, come in and compete and you have a great chance of starting, if they don't accept I guess they will be sitting in the portal until incarnate word comes calling. 

Yeah. They're backup bench warmers. So they are dying to come here to be a backup bench warmer. May be we should just go after someone better than that? So what's left in the portal at this point that compares to a top flight QB like McCall? Names?

Edited by JuscAUse!

3 hours ago, W.E.D said:

From what I read in ncaa portal literature, grads don’t have to declare in the window. 
We may still be looking for McCall in October. 😅

im kidding I think. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Zero excuse to not get one in December!

2 hours ago, JuscAUse! said:

Yeah. They're backup bench warmers. So they are dying to come here to be a backup bench warmer. May be we should just go after someone better than that? So what's left in the portal at this point that compares to a top flight QB like McCall? Names?

You are all over the place man. That was never my argument . Good gracious.

16 hours ago, bigbird said:

Oh good, mini-mouse has flown in for daddy. How cute.

Keep up the good work, it's obviously on the right side of history 

What did he write that wasn’t factual?

Answer: nothing! Everything he wrote was exact facts. You just hate Gus so bad, you can’t stand anything positive to be written about him, even when it’s backed by 100% facts! 

Meanwhile, maybe you can tell us “factually” how your guys Greene and Harsin are doing?

• Dislike 1

20 hours ago, AU-24 said:

What did he write that wasn’t factual?

Answer: nothing! Everything he wrote was exact facts. You just hate Gus so bad, you can’t stand anything positive to be written about him, even when it’s backed by 100% facts! 

Meanwhile, maybe you can tell us “factually” how your guys Greene and Harsin are doing?

Let me try to type slowly for you, in order for you to comprehend.

Gus is a great person, Gus was a great ambassador, and Gus ran a clean program. I wholeheartedly thank him for those things.

I do hate Gus for his complete collapse after 2013, his inability to adjust, and his ego/stubbornness to evolve. He made our program look inept and neutered. Everything from roster management, player development, and game planning went to complete garbage after 2014 and we had to suffer another 6 years and a mind-blowingly stupid contract (THAT HURT AU). He marginalized Auburn football.  His accomplishments in 8 years at AU, especially after 2013, is not the end all be all y'all think it is.

However, what the most telling thing is that when I backed them, it was because I wanted Auburn to be successful.  I've supported everyone until they've shown their capabilities. Once I had the requisite and prudent data, I withdrew my support and admitted repeatedly and openly that I was wrong to have supported as long as I had.   I wanted what was best for Auburn, Sorry.

How about you two? 

I support Auburn and want nothing but it's success.  You two took every chance to tear down each one of those hires from the moment of their announcement. 

Y'all supported Gus, not Auburn. Then y'all tried to tear down everyone that was involved in or supported the decision to fire his failed regime.

Y'all NEVER gave Green or Harsin any support, EVER.  

I withdrew my support once they proved themselves as failures.

The Mice can't handle the fact that Gus was a failure...just like Green, Harsin, JJ, and Leath. What even more difficult, well so far impossible, is that neither of y'all can't even admit that Gus left the program in a complete state of disarray that was going to easily take 3-4 years to overcome. Unfortunately, hiring Harsin set us even further back, but he wasn't the man that began the death spiral of mediocrity and apathy.

You want facts...

Your support for Auburn is as transparent as your obsession with defending y'all's daddy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 3